• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The Lesson of Rand Paul: Libertarianism is Juvenile

LightFang

"I'm the hero!"
Rand Paul blew up the Internet. Did you notice? Here's how it went down: first, he suggested unmistakably that he opposed the Civil Rights Act. Then he tried unsuccessfully to weasel his way out, under near-implacable questioning. This was when people got really worked up. So Paul put out a press release, the strategy of which was more or less to deny that the previous 24 hours had happened. In the meantime, those of us who hail from the Internet have lost the ability to talk about anything else.

Mainly, of course, we've been condemning and mocking Paul. But there's a group that’s lined up to defend him as well. The basic claim is that, while Paul was of course wrong to oppose civil rights legislation, it was an honest and respectable mistake. As Dave Weigel put it on Twitter (hence the weird sentence), "Rand doesn't mean harm, is suffering as old libertarian debate moves into prime time." (Weigel wrote a longer defense of Paul yesterday as well. For an excellent response, see this post from Salon editor Joan Walsh.)

Various figures who stand a few notches in toward the mainstream from Paul have made arguments similar to Weigel's. It was a mere theoretical fancy, they say, nothing should be made of it. A staffer for Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., calls the whole thing "a non-issue." Thanks, white people, for clearing up that whole civil rights thing for everybody else. Not important!

But, lest Paul be allowed to escape, those of us who do want to make something of this need to broaden our argument. It's not just that he screwed up and said something stupid because he's so committed to a purist fancy. No, it's worse than that. Libertarianism itself is what's stupid here, not just Paul. We should stop tip-toeing around this belief system like its adherents are the noble last remnants of a dying breed, still clinging to their ancient, proud ways.

Now, to be clear, before continuing: there are legions of brilliant individual libertarians. Weigel himself, for example, is a great writer and reporter, and a true master of Twitter. We've never met, but by all accounts, he's also very much a stand-up fellow. But brilliant, decent people can think silly things. And that's what's going on here. It's time to stop taking libertarianism seriously.

Ironically, the best way into this point comes from another brilliant libertarian, legal scholar Richard Epstein. Says Epstein, "To be against Title II in 1964 would be to be brain-dead to the underlying realities of how this world works."

There’s the key -- "the underlying realities of how the world works." Because never, and I mean never, has there been capitalist enterprise that wasn't ultimately underwritten by the state. This is true at an obvious level that even most libertarians would concede (though maybe not some of the Austrian economists whom Rand Paul adores): for the system to work, you need some kind of bare bones apparatus for enforcing contracts and protecting property. But it's also true in a more profound, historical sense. To summarize very briefly a long and complicated process, we got capitalism in the first place through a long process of flirtation between governments on the one hand, and bankers and merchants on the other, culminating in the Industrial Revolution. What libertarians revere as an eternal, holy truth is in fact, in the grand scheme of human history, quite young. And if they'd just stop worshiping for a minute, they'd notice the parents hovering in the background.

Libertarians like Paul are walking around with the idea that the world could just snap back to a naturally-occurring benign order if the government stopped interfering. As Paul implied, good people wouldn't shop at the racist stores, so there wouldn't be any.

This is the belief system of people who have been the unwitting recipients of massive government backing for their entire lives. To borrow a phrase, they were born on third base, and think they hit a triple. We could fill a library with the details of the state underwriting enjoyed by American business -- hell, we could fill a fair chunk of the Internet, if we weren't using it all on Rand Paul already. And I don't just mean modern corporate welfare, or centuries-ago agricultural changes. Most left-of-center policymaking can fit into this category in one way or another.

Think about the New Deal. Although libertarian ingrates will never admit it, without the reforms of the 1930s, there might not be private property left for them to complain about the government infringing on. Not many capitalist democracies could survive 25 percent unemployment, and it doesn't just happen by good luck. Or, take a couple more recent examples: savvy health insurance executives were quite aware during this past year that, if reform failed again, skyrocketing prices were likely to doom the whole scheme of private insurance (itself a freak accident of federal policy) and bring on single-payer. Here's a fun sci-fi one: Imagine the moment in, say, twenty years, when the evidence of climate change has become undeniable, and there’s an urgent crackdown on carbon-intensive industries. Then coal companies and agribusiness will be wishing they’d gotten on board with the mild, slow-moving reform that is cap-and-trade.

Get it? The government didn't just help make the "free market" in the first place -- although it did do that. It's also constantly busy trimming around the edges, maintaining the thing, keeping it healthy. The state can think ahead and balance competing interests in a way that no single company can.

The libertarian who insists that the state has no place beyond basic night-watchman duties is like a teenager who, having been given a car, promptly starts demanding the right to stay out all night. Sometimes, someone else really is looking out for your best interests by saying no. (This isn't to say the state is looking out for the best interests of everybody, or even most people. The point is just that, however Glenn Beck might hyperventilate, the government doesn't want to destroy the market. It wants to preserve it, and it does this job better than the market can on its own.)

And that's why the best rap on libertarians isn't that they're racist, or selfish. (Though some of them are those things, and their beliefs encourage both bad behaviors, even if accidentally.) It's that they're thoroughly out of touch with reality. It's a worldview that prospers only so long as nobody tries it, and is too unreflective and self-absorbed to realize this. In other words, it's bratty. And that's bad enough.

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2010/05/21/libertarianism_who_needs_it

Thoughts? As a formal libertarian, I don't know if this is entirely fair. I think libertarianism has a value as sort of a guiding principle, or even just a sort of leaning. I mean, I can get behind not infringing on other people's rights for the most part (and, hopefully, most of you think so too!) But to make it the cornerstone of your thinking--I think then we run into absurdities.

The problem with libertarianism is that it is great in theory (like many other political philosophies in fact), but not in practice. It is too black and white in a world that is shaded in gray.

Since, as a libertarian, Ayn Paul has has no comprehensive model of interaction, he can’t communicate in a meaningful way with us who do.

A lot of this comes down to whether one believes that markets are inherently unstable or that they are inherently self-correcting. One who believes the former is more likely to be liberal (in the American sense) and support government regulation of markets, even in the absence of recognized market failure; one who believes the latter is more likely to be libertarian.

The insinuation that libertarianism broadly is juvenile is somewhat off-putting. Now it is naturally the case that the extreme of the libertarian movement could be classified as juvenile - but this is no less true for other ends of the political spectrum.

Get it? The government didn't just help make the "free market" in the first place -- although it did do that. It's also constantly busy trimming around the edges, maintaining the thing, keeping it healthy. The state can think ahead and balance competing interests in a way that no single company can.

the quoted portion attributes a dangerous amount of competence to the state.

It is not fair.

Libertarians, especially the less moderate ones, tend to admit that their system has never been implemented. They are quite aware that mercantilism and statist policies are what led to the form of capitalism we have today, and they do not really care for the current form of capitalism.

Calvin Coolidge was adamant that it is free enterprise that is the new and progressive system, and that those seeking greater government control of the economy were the true reactionaries. He quite strongly opposed farm subsidies. He and Harding refused to get involved in trying to solve the depression of 1921, which led to a quick recovery and brought unemployment down to about 1%. The New Deal slowed the recovery and kept unemployment around 18%. The war brought us out of the depression because of spending by foreign governments, who transferred their people's wealth here for us to make arms for them.

Libertarians by and large stick with Thomas Jefferson's school of thought, and so oppose the more Hamiltonian policies by which the state created modern capitalism. Their idea is the responsible individual, not the limited liability corporation.

Ron Paul for one has been quick to criticize centuries old agriculture policy changes, and especially the way governments sides with industrialists rather than protect their neighbor's rights to keep their property free from the industrialists' pollution.

Geolibertarians go further, and criticize the enclosure movement and the modern concept of property rights. Agreeing with Locke, they insist that the right to real property comes from the labor of homesteading, not from conquest or royal deeds. They also agree that the right to homesteading is only valid so long as the property claimant leaves plenty of natural resources of an equal quality for others to claim. Otherwise they are stealing a scarce resource from society, and should be required to pay society back for this privilege. A just government does not tax based on wealth though, it taxes based on how the means of acquiring said wealth were detrimental to the rest of society. It has no right to the fruits of Man's labor, but may collect rents on the resources not created by the individual but simply taken from nature in such a way as to deny others the opportunity.

Meh. Granted Paul's pretty much dynamite at this point, but I don't think this is fair as a whole.

There’s the key -- "the underlying realities of how the world works." Because never, and I mean never, has there been capitalist enterprise that wasn't ultimately underwritten by the state. This is true at an obvious level that even most libertarians would concede (though maybe not some of the Austrian economists whom Rand Paul adores): for the system to work, you need some kind of bare bones apparatus for enforcing contracts and protecting property.

Well, yeah. If you favor the free market you must first make sure it exists in a functional form. The free market breaks down if, say, companies can just make stuff up for their financial reports. That (and other similar things) is what in my mind has separated libertarians from anarchists.

It's not quite a strawman because the easily mockable argument actually exists as Paul, but it's still an over-generalization. The fact that the author says that most libertarians concede X is another way of saying that most libertarians don't really believe X, in which case X ceases to be a libertarian viewpoint. The same sort of argument could go against Republicans: Republicans oppose taxes, but even most Republicans will concede that some taxes are necessary for basic universally-agreed-upon government functions (e.g., defense, fire dept., etc.). To go on to say that Republicans are stupid for wanting no taxes at all is itself stupid because, by and large, most Republicans don't actually believe that! The point they are trying to make is that they believe that generally taxes are too high and should be lower. Similarly, libertarians believe that markets should be freer, but it's not really free if it's broken.

I dunno if it is fair to use Paul as the ideological whipping boy here, since I don't think he's really much of a libertarian. He's a Republican who supports drugs.

I dunno if it is fair to use Paul as the ideological whipping boy here, since I don't think he's really much of a libertarian. He's a Republican who supports drugs.

Especially given this from Time:

"They thought all along that they could call me a libertarian and hang that label around my neck like an albatross, but I'm not a libertarian."

Libertarians are very very confused, they believe that government regulations are not needed ( and hey I have no problem with a libertarian getting fried by 440V 3 phase power) even if oil workers die they put it down to, just an accident.

If Libertarians want a pure society for their beliefs they should leave civilised communities and start again.
I recommend Somalia.

Libertarianism doesn't seem to offer any safeguard against people otherwise engaging in stupid things that adversely affect everyone else (e.g. sub-prime mortgage crisis, drug regulation/prohibition, etc).

Libertarians are very very confused, they believe that government regulations are not needed ( and hey I have no problem with a libertarian getting fried by 440V 3 phase power) even if oil workers die they put it down to, just an accident.

No, to say that government regulation is entirely unneeded is to be an anarchist, not a libertarian. An underlying assumption in libertarian philosophy is that, provided one has information about X, he or she should be free to do/buy X so long as he or she doesn't hurt anyone else. Your right to swing your arms ends at another's nose. It is common knowledge that smoking cigarettes wrecks your lungs, but hey, they're your lungs. Do what you want. You cannot say the same thing about a defective electrical component because that proper information is not conveyed to the buyer. The inherent risks in the product is not what the person signed up for due to the misrepresentation of the manufacturer. That would constitute as fraud and would not be allowed.

If Libertarians want a pure society for their beliefs they should leave civilised communities and start again.
I recommend Somalia.

Somalia effectively has no government. That is anarchy.

Libertarianism doesn't seem to offer any safeguard against people otherwise engaging in stupid things that adversely affect everyone else (e.g. sub-prime mortgage crisis, drug regulation/prohibition, etc).

Yes it does. I can't have the freedom to kill anyone I want because then I would be preventing others from having the freedom to live. Granted sometimes there will be some stepping on others' toes (freedom of speech >> freedom to not be offended), but generally the adversely-affecting-others criterion is the only thing that can be used to ban things.

(Also, most of the crime and violence associated with drugs arises from the prohibition of drugs, but that's for another thread.)

Libertarianism is ridiculous. A truly Libetarian society would become the worst country in history within a short space of time, and I include Nazi Germany in that. Most of it's adherents are sociopathic American teenagers, but not all, and one has to wonder how anyone who thought about things for more than a few seconds could really accept its premises.

Geolibertarians go further, and criticize the enclosure movement and the modern concept of property rights. Agreeing with Locke, they insist that the right to real property comes from the labor of homesteading, not from conquest or royal deeds. They also agree that the right to homesteading is only valid so long as the property claimant leaves plenty of natural resources of an equal quality for others to claim.

It's nice to know that there are some libertarians who are actually logically consistent. But, while consistent, the view is still baseless and impoverished. Baseless, because the question of why social relations should be organized in this hyper-individualistic way receives no compelling answer. Impoverished, because a society can do far better when government invests in basic scientific research, in public health measures, in police and firefighters, and other public goods - which probably requires more taxes than rents on natural resources can provide. Although I do agree that, as much as possible, taxes should come from those rents.

Popular libertarianism--the kind espoused by Rand Paul--is without doubt juvenile, as are most vulgarizations of well-thought-out intellectual theories. The rest of libertarianism, however, should (like all theories) be treated with equal doses of respect and constructive skepticism.

There is no good political position other then the middle! :D

You do realise that this "middle" of yours is nothing more than a median between two arbitrarily selected points- neither of which sit on any discernible one-dimensional axis (or multi-dimensional array, for that matter) other than that which you have declared- that you have chosen to designated " right" and left", don't you? Aside from anything else, the very notion depends on other peoples opinions, which is a rather crumby way to determine your own views.

If you're in a boat with another person and the other person wants to drill a hole inside the boat while you don't, the middle position of half a hole isn't the best one.

The problem with libertarianism is that it is great in theory (like many other political philosophies in fact), but not in practice. It is too black and white in a world that is shaded in gray.

Plus, the fact that a lot of positive things in society and the world like public education and health, environmentalism are in theory anti-libertarian.

That's the biggest problem. Its negatives outweigh the positives.

Yes it does. I can't have the freedom to kill anyone I want because then I would be preventing others from having the freedom to live. Granted sometimes there will be some stepping on others' toes (freedom of speech >> freedom to not be offended), but generally the adversely-affecting-others criterion is the only thing that can be used to ban things.

(Also, most of the crime and violence associated with drugs arises from the prohibition of drugs, but that's for another thread.)

That doesn't sound much different from liberalism. What exactly does libertarianism support/advocate?

Top Bottom