The limits of EU

A- What conditions should a country met to be in EU? B- Could this country be in EU?

• Total voters
King Alexander said:
I agree with you.

As for religion, since I don't want anyone outside Europe, it'll be Christian, right? Right. I have no problem with it: what I certainly don't want is to have problems with multiple religions, a situation that ALWAYS occurs problems, one way or another(and since atheistic isn't an option...).

Multiple religions? You mean like catholics and protestants which we already have? Or you mean like other religions should be a minority? How about Bosnia then, that's about 50% muslim.

Brighteye said:
They need to be culturally similar. We have a parliament that makes laws and regulations, so we should only let countries join who share reasonably closely our ideals and principles. Otherwise the EU will just become a giant monstrosity with no decision-making power at all, constantly stalled by endless disagreements and wasting a huge amount of money...

oh whoops. we're already there.

Yeah you are right! We need to kick the Brits ASAP! :D

Cheezy- Glad to be of service.

I'd like to see a "Global Union" eventually.

Gladi said:
Yeah you are right! We need to kick the Brits ASAP! :D
Just a note to say that the only reason everyone complains about us stalling is that we actually take notice of the regulations the EU chooses. The Italians ignore them, the Germans infringe them and the French blatantly and arrogantly break them. At least Britain tries to do it right by only agreeing to what we'll actually do.
It's terrible being the misunderstood country...

Brighteye said:

It figures that the only country in Europe which would understand how America feels most of the time would be our Mother Country. Brighteye, I feel your pain!

Brighteye said:
Just a note to say that the only reason everyone complains about us stalling is that we actually take notice of the regulations the EU chooses. The Italians ignore them, the Germans infringe them and the French blatantly and arrogantly break them. At least Britain tries to do it right by only agreeing to what we'll actually do.
I have a saying: the English have a few rules they follow religiously, while the French have a thousand rule they all ignore.

It must be a democracy
It must be geographically in EU
It must be economically strong / advanced
Switzerland
Ukraine

If there political environment improves, I think Russia and Belarus could join in, but it looks like they relations between the two will be confrontational for years to come. Turkey is a borderline case.

Brighteye said:

So :p, you are the odd one;) .

ironduck said:
Multiple religions? You mean like catholics and protestants which we already have? Or you mean like other religions should be a minority? How about Bosnia then, that's about 50% muslim.
I didn't knew you considered catholics and protestants different religions.

Yes, I'd like it that Christianity would be the prevalent religion, and other religions be minorities(or don't have them at all, preferably).
I wouldn't have a problem with religions that their followers don't cover their face, hair and body in general, though.
I'd do have a problem with anyone and anything that causes/creates trouble when my citizens try to communicate with each other, and even more so, when they even cannot communicate with each other(due to rleligion customs).
I think, I said enough about the issue and clarified it a lot. That's my position, whether people like it or not.

Now, about Bosnia, since I also stated in my previous post that, I wouldn't want the EU to expand AT ALL, if it firsts doesn't reach a common policy and to be able to defend it's borders(and not rely on "NATO"), Bosnia is out of the game(and not necessarily due to it's religion: the Albanian majority are muslims, but they were FAR easily accepted here when a number of them came here as immigrants, due to the fact they DID NOT wore veils and such stupid and UNNATURAL things --- for MY people, anyway ---. There were a time in the Dark Ages that Christians also looked and, actually WERE retarted when they also wore clothes covering the body and the hair, but that's gone, fortunately).

EDITED

Religion isnt the problem for me but corruption. Dont care what you call god, so long as you dont lift off the collection plate you could say.

Until we sort out the farce of rampant corruption and farm subsidies the EU cannt expand.

Oh and military wise, who is going to mess with the EU? The yanks dont want to, the russians cant afford to, the chinese are too far away. The only possible candidates are the turks, who cant afford to, dont want to and would loose fast.

We have no imediate external state-level threats. And personally speaking the brits military works fine, boxing well above its weight, so the last thing I want to see is it mired in EU red-tape. If it aint broke dont fix it.

EDIT - Dam this dyslexia

Brighteye said:

That's heavy stereotyping. But I'm sure you can back that up with some nice facts. :)

One of my biggest complain about the UK is that it is not in Schengen.

If the EU cannot agree on one-two simple things I said I wished to, then I'd wish it to be disbanded and not be the farse that currently is.

Masquerouge said:
One of my biggest complain about the UK is that it is not in Schengen.

Erm why? The joint visa thing? Why do you see this as important? I mean compared to farm subs, corruption, expansion, the constitution, mil intergration or the brit rebate Schengen is a quite fantastically marginal issue as far as I see it.

King Alexander said:
I didn't knew you considered catholics and protestants different religions.

A lot of catholics and protestants seem to think so, plenty of examples, just look at Northern Ireland for instance.. or the many wars in Europe involving Christian factions. For outsiders like me it's utterly ridiculous, of course, but plenty of the factions feel they have the only true religion even though they're not that different from their sister faction.

Babbler said:
If there political environment improves, I think Russia and Belarus could join in, but it looks like they relations between the two will be confrontational for years to come.

Insert Russia and the European Union's territory would be more asian than european. ;)

I think the current criterias for membership are good, there is a debate on the geographical one for border countries, but I'd stick with the 2 others and find a compromise with Turkey and Russia.

MamboJoel said:
Insert Russia and the European Union's territory would be more asian than european. ;)

I think the current criterias for membership are good, there is a debate on the geographical one for border countries, but I'd stick with the 2 others and find a compromise with Turkey and Russia.

geography? to hell with it. france owns a colony in south america called frenvh Guyana, there you go. precedent set :scan: .

Dionysius said:
geography? to hell with it. france owns a colony in south america called frenvh Guyana, there you go. precedent set :scan: .
That's a good point - also, no one complains it's wrong that Hawaii is a state of the US, despite not being part of the American continent (did anyone complain when it became a state, I wonder?)

There are arguments for and against including a nation which isn't in the continent of Europe - but these should be based whether it would be good or bad for us, not "oh, it'd make the name wrong". Who cares about a name.

GinandTonic said:
Erm why? The joint visa thing? Why do you see this as important? I mean compared to farm subs, corruption, expansion, the constitution, mil intergration or the brit rebate Schengen is a quite fantastically marginal issue as far as I see it.

Yet that's the only one that actually annoys me, when I have to go through the freakin' customs everytime I go see my brother.

So dont go. Problem solved

Top Bottom