1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Long Game

Discussion in 'Imperium OffTopicum' started by Daftpanzer, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

note: Cephalopods don't really have abdomens, and they are molluscs... so an internal bone-analogue structure would presumably be more like an advanced internal shell "case" around the vital organs in its mantle. Building on the internal shell already present in many cephalopods [like with cuttlefish]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  2. TheGryphonPrince

TheGryphonPrince King

The trilobites (1 point) and the pterosauroids (another point) are becoming more sociable and sticking together in packs for better protection.

3. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

Sure thing, that works too.

4. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

Whatever the case they will awe as the world once more is awakened with the spewing of magma.

5. tobiisagoodboy

tobiisagoodboy Prince

1. The Lizard boys that left the forest begin adapting to their new life. First, to protect their eggs and themself, they begin to develope pack and family behavior. These groups can reach sizes in lower two digit region, with siblings, parents and cousins. The central part of this social dynamic is the protection of a familys eggs, males going as far as to sacrifice themself so females can escape with the eggs.

2. The Lizard Boys slowly begin to develope bipedal walk and develope better stanima. The bipedal standing allows them to easier spot potential predators (like those massive monster worms) and, combined with developement number one, the now bipedal Lizard can actually carry the eggs in their arms. This allows them to be mobile, even while they breed their eggs. The eggs are resiliant and won't die from a few hourse of less than optimal temprature and the entire family can carry the packs eggs with them. This allows their egg a higher rate of survival than normal lizards and reptilians, but slowly the Lizards begin to lay less eggs(only between 8-10), to adapt to this strategy.

6. Marcher Jovian

Marcher Jovian Emperor

2 points - Emissions from volcanic eruptions work to reflect solar radiation and cool the planet.

7. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

1 Underwater packhunting cephalopods get even smarter

2 Some land ambush squids begin adapting to underground life, making underground dens and tunnels, keeping them humid, and raising their young there

8. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

Arachnid Evolution: Complex Web Structures

Arachnid species evolve increasingly complex webs including forms that can be 'fired' to ensnare prey or avoid predation, forms woven into complex nests for protection or rearing of young, forms spun out into the air to travel long distances, as well as increasingly effective forms already used to trap, lure, or immobilize prey.

Cephalopod Evolution: Nest Building and Parenting Behavior
    Cephalopods evolve to protect their immature forms and to build nests of varying complexity for these.
    "Parents" provide food to their young 'polyp-stage' and immature cephalopods to accelerate their maturation and development.
    They provide nests to protect their young. These nests may include woven kelp, stone caves, plants and leaves intwined around them, or various other forms depending on terrain, etc to provide protection and concealment.
    Some species may continue to build nests for themselves in their adult form to protect themselves, store food, or control prime hunting/foraging territory.

This last part may synergize well with Angst's adaptation???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Angst and thomas.berubeg like this.
  9. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

1. Period of lowered solar output continues, cooling the planet further.

10. Daftpanzer

Daftpanzer There may be more posts after this.

@jackelgull, earthquakes are happening all the time when each turn is millions of years. Its hard to imagine an earthquake powerful enough to make much of an impact on animals and plants (volcanoes are a bit different). There are no buildings to get shaken up.

We could be talking about landslides and massive tsunamis though, which could happen as a result of volcanism (when part of a volcano collapses into the sea).

@Immaculate, I'm afraid I'm not comfortable with this idea. There are things that are had for me to moderate without being a qualified biologist myself (going back to the lighter-than-air floating). I'd rather go with the patterns of what nature has produced in real life.

I just get the feeling that this kind of radical change in reproductive strategy wouldn't happen - I know jellyfish have a weird life cycle similar to this (which is pretty cool), but its what they always had. I think it would be a lot harder/impossible for more complex creatures to make a huge shift like this once they are already progressed down the evolutionary path.

Communal breeding / egg laying? Sure, I mean a lot of our squid-species would probably already do that, but they lay eggs with enough energy that they need to develop, at least to larval stage, without worrying about being in an exposed spot on the seabed that receives a high flow of plankton, etc?

That's not even talking about the merging gametes from eggs - that breaks my brain and I'm not sure if this is a thing in nature. I'm afraid I'm not going to include something specific like that unless I'm comfortable with how it would work :/

tl,dr; brooding behaviour, nest guarding, protection of hatchlings, is all good with me - if we can do that without going down the rabbit hole!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  11. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

I spend one of my points to do the same for trilobites

The other point I spend is to raise the immunity for trilobites in nessperia

12. jackelgull

jackelgull An aberration of nature

Ok sure I just wanted a natural disaster that wasn’t a volcanic eruption as we’ve already had plenty of those

13. Everblack

Everblack Blacker then you

1. Boost the evolution of Velvet Worms vocal organ for better communication. This new organ enable the velvet worms to use screeches as a form of communication to alert others of dangers ahead and call for backup. When a pack is on the defensive they use these screeches to both warn/disway predators.

2. Boost the evolution of Velvet Worms Improved species communicability (Social Hierarchy): Velvet worms species have created a Female dominance hierarchy were the largest Female with social groups of up to fifteen individuals, usually closely related, which will typically live and found food together to discourage attack from predators. This Dominance is achieved through aggression and maintained through submissive behavior.[ After a kill, the dominant female always feeds first, followed in turn by the other females, then males, then the young. When traveling long distances to new areas juveniles climb on top of adults for safety until they reach there destination.

14. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

You cannot have enough volcanoes...

Immaculate likes this.
  15. Daftpanzer

To come up with a list of natural disasters powerful enough to affect evolution:

* Super volcanoes / epic lava flows
    * Huge tsunami events which may be related to volcanoes or ocean floor ridge collapse
    * Comet/Meteor strikes
    * Cosmic events? (nearby supernova, gamma ray burst etc)

Other events I've allowed:
    * Microbial upheaval, new viruses / parasites / pathogens

Other than that, raising the temperature high or low enough will also be devastating for most forms of life.

Earthquakes on their own are probably too insignificant, but if you spend points on tectonic movements to crash continents into each other - this can raise huge mountains, which will affect both climate and sea levels (interestingly, sea level tends to drop when more land is piled up on top of itself, and ocean crust has expanded leaving more volume of ocean basin for the water to fill).

16. jackelgull

jackelgull An aberration of nature

Then I'd like to change my 1 point from being spent on an earthquake to being spent on huge tsunami event

17. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

2. Let's make the world colder. Why not.

18. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

1. Ever bigger velvet worms, that lose their legs and become Purple Worms!
    2. Even digger purple worms, tunneling underground, eating what’s on the ground, creating vast tunnel systems where things can live away from whatever craziness is going on outside. Cold? Hot? It’s always the same down here- only risk is purple worms coming to eat you.

19. Daftpanzer

Thanks guys, I'm looking to start updating tomorrow (thursday) so if anyone was still hovering or thinking about posting, I'd appreciate it if you could post in the next 12 hours or so.

I spent last Friday night updating, so I want to have a break this friday. Either I will finish on thursday or, most likely, it will be saturday afternoon GMT when the update is posted.

20. filli_noctus

filli_noctus Hmmn

This has drawn me back in after many a year. I'll wait for the update before contributing though.