The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, our wallets look pretty much like that. (Mine is identical to the bi-fold one.) I'm guessing that SS-18 means the fact that European notes are generally taller (as in, a greater distance across the breadth of the rectangle) than American notes, but they fit in a wallet just fine.

Well, a £10 note is 141 mm by 74 mm, with a £20 note being slightly larger. Are US notes skinnier than that?

Yeah, EU notes fit just fine in a normal sized wallet. I think you'd run into trouble if you bought a less than mainstream wallet (my wallet is a good example of a company trying to make a wallet "stylish" and thus I can hardly fit any coins in it and hardly any notes).

Well, a £10 note is 141 mm by 74 mm, with a £20 note being slightly larger. Are US notes skinnier than that?

156 by 66.3, so longer and narrower (same is generally true compared to the Euro). How I hate the idea of different sized bills, though.

According to wikipedia, the standard size of United States notes was approximately 189 × 79 mm from 1862 to 1929. Since 1929, all US currency has had dimensions of 156 × 66.3 × 0.11 mm.

So, yes; US currency is both longer and narrower than European bank notes, and back when it was thicker it was proportionally even thinner.

It's good for people with impaired vision.

The problem is it seems like it would be a significant inconvenience for most people when there are less intrusive ways to assist the minority.

I much prefer our textured bills allowing for easy identification by the blind while being a consistent size.

I don't see why notes of slightly differing sizes are a significant inconvenience. Wallets that don't fit your notes don't get bought in great numbers, if at all. Ours are different colours, so only the completely blind can't use them properly.

Actually, that's the thing- the varied sizes mean that even totally blind people can use them. It's a better solution that texturing, because texture gets worn away with use, while size doesn't.

Actually, that's the thing- the varied sizes mean that even totally blind people can use them. It's a better solution that texturing, because texture gets worn away with use, while size doesn't.

The British size the coins completely randomly, though, which can get confusing if you have just been blinded/don't understand English.

My father often complains (especially to Brazilians who have recently arrived in London) that British notes are way too big to fit properly into his wallet

Another argument in favor of a world currency! Make it so it fits into every wallet.

The British size the coins completely randomly, though, which can get confusing if you have just been blinded/don't understand English.
They're all of different shapes and thicknesses, though, so if you know the system it's doable. People who can see fine are able to grope around in their pockets for the right change using British money, so it's hardly impossible.

Another argument in favor of a world currency! Make it so it fits into every wallet.
Or just make the wallets big enough to fit every currency. :dunno:

But that wouldn't satisfy my inner freedom-hating, liberty-crushing, statist dictator!
How dare you suggest that I be restricted from excercising my freedom to crush yours!

The British size the coins completely randomly
I presume the original coins current ones are based on were made of different metals and sizes were determined by the value of the metals.
In Canada the dime ($0.10) is smaller than the penny or nickle because it was silver, which made a small coin more expensive then larger copper ($0.01) or nickel ($0.05) coins. Same with the USD with which the CAD traded at par and coins were made of the same materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom