- The October Revolution Part 1 - Fall of the Tsars

Great! Now there can be even more unexcepted plot twists. :D

And what mod/scenario is it, nokmirt? Can we have a story of that battle (or even that game or part of it) written and readable here in CFC? :please: :mischief:

Great! Now there can be even more unexcepted plot twists. :D

And what mod/scenario is it, nokmirt? Can we have a story of that battle (or even that game or part of it) written and readable here in CFC? :please: :mischief:

Its a boardgame but there is a version of axis and allies for civ 4. I mentioned it just because of the Chinese being defeated so easily. Of course during the game I made sure to get rid of them early or they build up fairly quickly.

No, if you want to read my story its in the civ 4 stories forum. Here's the link
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=328462

I am converting two older mods to BTS 3.19. And in between playing the older mod and writing a story of events, I will be working on the mod for BTS. It has to do with the United States during the Napoleonic Wars. After thats complete I am going to do a story of the WWI mod for vanilla, playing as the Russians. While I am writing that, I will be upgrading that mod to BTS. I also have Civ 3 complete, and I want to play AoI4when released. For BTS we have good mods that cover the whole of History but few that cover few exact periods. We need some about World War One and the Napoleonic period for BTS. After these projects are completed, I was going to do one on the Spanish-American War and the Phillippine-American War.

Brucha how is your Napoleon scenario coming along? I read a bit about it somewhere recently in a post. Primarily about the Belgians and Dutch or what? I only read briefly.

I now officially have two subordinate commanders in the game, General Pyotr Krasnov, commander of the Russian 3rd Army and Vice Admiral Andrei Sarychev, commander of the Russian 2nd BB Squadron. The rules stipulated in my last post applies to both commanders.

During my last two posts, the timeline of reports have gotten somewhat mixed up and so, though I had reported activity up to Week 33 of 1906 in my last report, it did not include naval operations for this period. So, this new post will begin with naval operation from Week 27 on.

I have finally found a decent way to depict naval operations, but am still testing some new methods for land battles, so bear with me.

Northern Europe Naval Operations, Week 27 - 49, 1906
Baltic Sea Fleet: Minsk BB, Askold BB, Novgorod BB, Uslyabya BB, Izumrud CA, Murmansk CA, Syvetlana CA, Sagi DD, Nikolai Gunboat, Alexander II Gunboat, Petr Veliki Gunboat

1st BB Squadron: Romanov BB, Skori CA, Shestakov I DD, Shestakov II DD.

With war now declared against Russia by the Scandinavians, orders are given for the Russian Baltic Sea Fleet to depart from Saint Petersburg and steam into the Gulf of Bothnia. The fleet first steams to the city of Kalmar, ineffectively shelling the city for a few hours. The fleet then turns north towards Stockholm, shelling and destroying 2 roads and 2 rails around the city. Continuing northwards, the Baltic Sea Fleet steams north to Lulea. Here, with no enemy naval forces to keep them at bay, the Russian fleet pounds the city for two months, destroying 4 rail and 4 road tile around the city, effectively cutting Scandinavian road and rail access to the Russian frontier, as well as cutting off Lulea itself.

The Russian 1st BB Squadron has been raiding the Irish Sea with impunity for months and continues to wreck havoc on the English mainland. Over the months, the squadron causing considerable damage. Altogether, 2 rail and 2 roads are destroyed near Glasgow, 2 roads and 2 rail and 2 roads near Dublin (isolating a coal tile). Finally, 3 rails and 2 road near Liverpool.

2nd BB Squadron Naval Operations, Week 30 - 42, 1906
Byedovi BB, Kiev II CA, Nebogatov CA, Oleg CA, Rossiya CA, Gromki DD, Rus DD

During Week 30, 1906, part of the Black Sea Fleet, the Russian 2nd BB Squadron, escapes the blockage of the Black Sea and into the Mediterranean. The fleet first steams south towards the Suez Canal, a prime target to hunt British targets. The fleet is in luck, as they encounter a pair of British ships north of Alexandria in Week 33, the HMS destroyer Laurel and the steam transport HMS No 34. The powerful Russian ships easily sinks both vessels with no damage to themselves. The following week, the patrol off the Egyptian coast continues to be profitable as the squadron first encounters a lone British steam transport, which is sunk by the destroyer, Rus. The next day, the squadron surprises a trio of British ships steaming north from the Suez canal, the destroyer HMS Champion, the cruiser HMS Dublin and a steam transport. In a swift battle, all three enemy ships are sunk, but the flag ship, dreadnought Byedovi is struck twice and the squadron commander is killed on the bridge. His second in command, Andrei Sarychev (the new human player) is promoted to vice admiral in command of the squadron.

Via wireless communiqués (or what we know as email), Sarychev ia ordered to continue to patrol the region of the Suez Canal and to attack British shipping where available. However, naval high command back in Saint Petersburg did not seem to be clear enough in the orders sent to Sarychev since, his first decision as the new vice admiral, was to send his squadron steaming west towards Malta. Arriving off the coast of Malta in Week in Week 42, the fleet shells the coast, destroying a single road tile. The vice admiral immediately sent a wireless communiqué back to naval high command giving a situation report - naturally naval high command was surprised to learn of the squadron’s new location, so far from the Suez Canal region and immediately ordered Sarychev to return to his patrols near Alexandria.

Russian Far East Naval Operations

Spoiler :

2nd CA Squadron: Keivsk CA, Kiev CA, Knyaz DD, Veenin DD
The Russian 2nd CA Squadron is still patrolling off the Arabian Peninsula coast hoping for targets. The commander decides to make a run past the coastal forts of Aden. To prevent damage to his ships, the commander opts to shells the city first in Week 27 and is able to destroy the forts. With the way clear, the squadron steams north, encountering a small British squadron of 2 CA’s a DD and a steam transport. Not wishing to engage a target of nearly equal strength, the 2nd CA shells the British ships from a distance but causes no damage.

Heading further north, the squadron shells the city of Aswan, destroying 1 road and 2 rails (isolating a coal resource). After shelling the city, the squadron spots a several British ships steaming south past Aswan (a CA, a DD and a ST). The squadron commander, is unable to give chase and catch up with the enemy ships and they are able to escape to the north.

3rd CA Squadron: Sutchena CA, Belgia DD, Piulki DD
The Russian 3rd CA Squadron has remained in the Bay of Bengal, attacking British cities in the region. In Weeks 30 and 33, the squadron shells Rangoon, destroying 2 roads and 1 rail (isolating a tin resource). The squadron then steams towards Calcutta, where it destroys a road and a rail tile.

6th CA Squadron: Murmansk CA, Nokava CA, Osaka CA
Off the eastern coast of Australia, the Russian 6th CA Squadron is still patrolling the waters in search of British shipping targets. In Week 33, the squadron encounters a lone British cruiser, the HMS Hydra, near Port Moresby. Despite superior numbers, the lone British cruiser sinks the Murmansk and escapes under heavy shelling from the other two Russian ships (causing a total of only 3/6 hp on the Hydra).

The squadron turns south to steam towards Brisbane and encounters the British destroyers, HMS Moorsom and Onslow, and a single steam transport. Thinking the small and less armed enemy destroyers are easy targets, the squadron attacks. In a swift skirmish, the Osaka is sunk and the Nokava is heavily damaged (red-lined) after sinking the HMS Moorsom. The Crippled Nokava is forced to turn north once again to try to limp back to the nearest port for repairs.

4th CA Squadron: Sveaborg CA, Ukhtomsky CA, Mandjur DD, Shein DD
The Russian 4th CA Squadron has been steaming south for weeks to raid the British shipping lanes off the western coast of Australia. The squadron encounters its first target in Week 36, when it stumbles onto a lone British steam transport, which is quickly sunk.

Farther south, the squadron shells Perth, destroying 1 road and isolating a coal source.

Russian Operations in French Indochina
By Week 36, I have given up on any future ground operations in French Indochina - my one hope is that the Chinese can stem the British invasion of the region. Indeed, the Chinese inavde from the north near Hanoi and begin pushing south towards Vientiane and east towards Rangoon and Calcutta with a large force.

I take the opportunity of peace between Britain and France to abandon Hanoi and give it back to the French. The Russian 2nd and 7th Armies begin falling back towards Hong Kong. China, meanwhile, declares war on Japan and Portugal, England’s ally until just recently, declares war on its former ally.

On the North America continent, the Americans are making good progress against the British, as Toronto has fallen and Seattle recaptured.

The War With Scandinavia
With his orders in hand, General Pyotr Krasnov, commander of the Russian 3rd Army prepared his plans for a counter attack along his front against the Scandinavian forces that have streamed across the Russian frontier northwest of Joensuu.

The Russian 3rd Army comprises of 12 cavalry divisions, 9 infantry divisions and 12 batteries of field gun artillery to meet the threat of the Scandinavian 1st Army, comprised of 4 infantry and 2 cavalry divisions. After crossing the Russian frontier, the Scandinavian 1st Army separated into two forces, one marching west to capture the Trans-Siberian rail junction north of Joensuu, while the other force headed southeast towards Joensuu itself.

General Krasnov, seeing the two-pronged Scandinavian attack, opted to keep his army concentrated, and decided to strike first at the southern enemy advance towards Joensuu. On August 4th, General Krasnov opened the Battle of Puolanka with a careful artillery barrage of six field artillery batteries. The barrage proved to be very effective and the enemy divisions suffered heavy losses. At 7.09 am, General Krasnov ordered the Russian 33rd and 34th Siberian Cossack divisions forward to spearhead the counter-attack. Such was the damage incurred by the Russian artillery, the Scandinavian 2nd and 3rd Infantry divisions and Norwegian 5th Cavalry division (all red-lined) were quickly overrun and destroyed with minimal Russian losses (no damage to either cavalry division).

General Krasnov now turned and marched north to deal with the second Scandinavian advance. Here too, Krasnov prepared his counter -attack on August 5th with a massive artillery bombardment. Here though, the Russian guns were not so effective and the enemy divisions were only reduced to near half strength each. At 9.24 am, he ordered the Russian 37th and 38th Siberian Cossacks and 25th and 69th infantry divisions forward. This time, the Russian attacks were met with somewhat heavy resistance and, though all three enemy divisions were overrun, the Russian 25th Infantry and 37th Siberian Cossack divisions suffered fully 50% losses.

Following the battle, Krasnov advanced his army to the Russian border to the west but, adhering to his orders, did not cross the frontier into Scandinavia. Instead, once his army reached the border, Krasnov sent telegrams (what we know of as emails) to inform Saint the Tsar of his recent victories and current status. Praie from the Tsar is immeidately sent back to Krasnov wishing him the Tsar's most graacious applause and gratification in his recent victories.

I like the new maps and ways to describe your land offensives and naval operations, except the military symbol used for Krasnov's 3rd Army counter-offensive is for army group, not for a single army. Too many x's, I am sure you realize this yourself. However, my congrats to your new commanders. I am still pondering the mysterious lack of British Naval Power, there main battle fleet must be somewhere.

As 1906 comes to a close, I have to take stock of recent events and assess my position. The war with Britain in French Indochina did not go as I had hoped and I was unable to prevent the loss of much of French territory to the English. French Indochina is split into two, north from south, with the British holding the center.

My grand alliance against the British has also not gone as I had hoped. The Chinese have not managed any real gains in India, though the British seem preoccupied enough not to march on Hong Kong. America has accomplished the most, capturing Winnipeg and Dawson in Canada.

Russian Far East Naval Operations

Spoiler :

Russian 3rd CA Squadron: Belgia DD, Puilki DD, Sutchena CA

The Russian 3rd CA Squadron has been patrolling off the Indian coast for months, damaging a great deal of British infrastructure, yet not encountering any British shipping. However, the squadron is not really in a prime location for British shipping lanes. The squadron shells Calcutta once more before turning south and steaming towards Banda Aceh and what I know is a vital east-west British shipping lane between Banda Aceh and Colombs.

The squadron takes up a position just south of Banda Aceh and waits for potential targets. In Week 2, 1907, a British squadron is spotted steaming west just north of Banda Aceh. The squadron immediately pursues but loses the British ships near Colombs.

Russian 2nd CA Squadron: Keivsk CA, Kiev CA, Knyaz DD, Veenin DD

The Russian 2d CA Squadron remains in the Red Sea to patrol the vital British shipping lanes through the Suez Canal. In Week 45, the squadron destroys 2 roads near Aswan, isolating a source of Oil. However, the squadron commander becomes increasingly bored with coastal target practice and hopes to find some proper naval targets soon.

In Week 48, his wish is granted when they encounter a small British squadron, 2 damaged cruisers, a damaged destroyer and a damaged steam transport. The Knyaz DD shells the damaged cruiser, HMS Black Prince (3/5 hp) from a distance, causing 1 hit. The Veenin DD also shells the Black Prince (now at 2/5 hp), sinking her with ease. The cruiser Keivsk shell the damaged destroyer, HMS Mary Rose (¾ hp), but misses. The cruiser Kiev also shells the Mary Rose, causing 2/4 hp. The remaining three British ships escapes to the north towards the Suez Canal.

Russian 4th CA Squadron: Mandjur DD, Stein DD, Sveaborg CA, Ukhromsky CA

Still patrolling of the western coast of Australia, the 4th Squadron encounters the lone HMS destroyer, Ariel. The Shein shells it causing it 2/4 hp, followed by a direct attack by the Mandjur, sinking the Ariel after only two volleys.

The 4th CA Squadron, finding no other British ships in the region, decides to turn west and steam towards the South African coast.

[U[Russian North and Baltic Sea Naval Operations[/U]
1st BB Squadron: Romanov BB, Skori CA, Shestakov I DD, Shestakov II DD

The 1st BB Squadron is ordered back to Romanov-on-Murman for repairs and leaves the English coast and steams north.

Meanwhile the lone destroyer, Smylei, departed from the Black Sea months ago. Its voyage took the tiny destroyer through the Mediterranean and into the Atlantic Ocean. Finally, after months at sea, the Smylei safely reaches the northern port of Romanov-on-Murman in Week 45, 1906.

2nd BB Squadron, Week 45, 1906 - Week 5, 1907
Byeovi BB, Kiev CA, Nebogatov CA, Oleg CA, Rossiya CA, Rus DD, Gromki DD

Having been ordered turn from its path round Malta, the 2nd BB Squadron steams back towards Alexandria. In Week 51, 1906, the squadron spots the weakened British squadron attacked recently in the Red Sea by the 2nd CA Squadron steaming out of the Suez Canal.

Despite his orders, Vice Admiral Sarychev turns his squadron to pursue the British ships. The Gromki shells the damaged (2/4 hp)destroyer, HMS Mary Rose, sinking her with two shots. The cruiser, Oleg attacks the damaged (1/5 hp) cruiser, HMS Superb, sinking her with ease. Finally, the cruiser, Rossiya sinks the damaged (½ hp) steam transport. Sarychev now turns back north to head for port.

In the end, the deviation from his orders matters little, as the entrance to the Black Sea is blocked by Balkan and Ottoman vessels and he is unable to re-enter the Black Sea. Sarychev is ordered to stay put until further instructions.

The Fall of Stettin
The war with Scandinavia is sputtering out and all grows quiet along the northern border. The time is perfect for me to deliver a blow to the Scandinavians by recapturing the city of Stettin and reinforcing relations with Germany.

After securing an ROP with Germany, the Russian 4th Army is ordered to advance on Stettin along the coast, as the Baltic Sea Fleet moves up in support. The city is only lightly defended by 2 MG’s and the 2nd Norwegian Infantry division.

In the years since its capture, the Scandinavians has reinforced the city’s defenses quite extensively. The main defensive positions were located on the north side of the river and reinforced by bunkers and fortifications (city defense improvement), manned largely by machine guns. The only infantry included among the defenders, the Norwegian 2nd Infantry, held the eastern-most position of the defensive line. Facing the sea, the city’s harbor was guarded by several forts and land batteries (coastal fortress) looking out over the water.

For the battle, the entire 4th Army’s artillery was given to the attack, fully thirteen field gun batteries and the entire Baltic Sea Fleet waiting just off the northern coast. The preliminary phase of the attack began at 8.09 am with a massive artillery bombardment - particular attention was paid to the elimination of enemy defensive works along the main defensive line. The overpowering artillery barrage lasted just five hours and was so effective that most of the built-up fortifications were destroyed in the bombardment and the hapless defenders suffered horrendous losses (both MG’s were red-lined while the 2nd Infantry reduced to 4/6 hp). Around 1pm, as the artillery bombardment tapered off, the Russian Baltic Sea Fleet was near enough to Stettin Harbor to make out the seaward land batteries through the morning sleet and snow that had been falling since dawn. Closing to about 7,500 meters, the fleet began firing on the land batteries with shocking accuracy. In as little as an hour, the naval bombardment has silenced or destroyed the land batteries allowing the fleet to move closer to shore and began shelling the enemy defensive positions further inland to the south.

At precisely 2.30 pm, the 30th Siberian Cavalry division moved forward on enemy machine gun positions to the west. As the division advanced, it was met with sporadic defensive machine gun fire (causing 4/5 hp) but the heavy losses sustained in the preliminary artillery bombardment prevented the enemy from maintaining a stiff defensive line and by 2.38 pm, the divisional commander reported that his men had breached the enemy line and crossed the river in strength.

At the same time, in the center, the 64th Cavalry division moved forward but initially encountered a great deal of resistance (suffered ¾ hp from initial defensive MG fire). It was not until nearly 3 pm until the enemy machine gun positions were overrun and most of the division had occupied the north side of the river.

The only portion of the Russian attack that did not go as planned was the advance of the 2nd Guard Infnatry division the Russian right flank. The infantry advance was met with murderous fire from the Norwegian 2nd Infantry division (4/5 hp). Pockets of infantry in the undamaged sections of the Norwegian line pinned down and killed a great deal of the division before the 2nd Guard even reached the river. Despite their losses (being red-lined), the 2nd Guard made repeated assaults across the river until, at around 5.20 pm, the remaining Norwegian infantry surrendered and the 2nd Guard crossed the river.

With the collapse of the Norwegian 2nd Infantry, all resistance in the city ended. Reserves from the Russian 4th Army moved up by nightfall to relieve the initial divisions and occupied the city.

The next morning, the Russian forces evacuate the city and control is given back to the grateful Germans.

Battle of Sumskaja
As the Battle for Stettin unfolded, the Scandinavians launch a cavalry raid across the northern Russian frontier near the tiny village of Sumskaja north of Joensuu at the Trans-Siberian rail junction. Here, the Norwegian 3rd and 5th Light Cavalry divisions make a lighting march to occupy a position right across the rail junction.

In response, General Krasnov orders four artillery batteries and two divisions to advance on the enemy from army encampment to the west, and took command of the small force personally. At around 9.30 am, on November 4th, Krasnov’s column reached the rail junction from the south in a dense fog. Using the heavy fog as cover, Krasnov unlimbered his artillery and positioned two batteries on his extreme right flank, one battery in the center, and another on his left flank.

At around 10.10 am, as his infantry and cavalry took up positions, Krasnov’s artillery began to open fire on the enemy positions. Caught completely by surprise, the Norwegian cavalry, awakened by the sound of artillery fire, stumbled from their encampments and began forming up defensive lines, often partially dressed or riding bareback to take position on the line. With such surprise on his side, Krasnov’s opening artillery barrage caused massive losses to the Norwegian cavalry and by 10. 35 am, less than one-forth of the enemy cavalry filled the front defensive positions (both divisions were red-lined).

Not waiting to see what the enemy cavalry’s first move would be, Krasnov ordered his divisions forward at 10.29 am. The 32nd Siberian Cossacks charged forward and around the Norwegian 3rd Light Cavalry position, swiftly overrunning the heavily outnumbered enemy within minutes of reaching the enemy line.

To the east, the 25th Infantry punched through the wavering Norwegian 5th light Cavalry in a steady and relentless advance, sweeping over the enemy positions with ease.

By 11.00 am, the enemy cavalry had been killed, wounded or captured and the rail junction was again firmly in Russian hands.

The German Ingrates
By the fall of Stettin, I needed to fix several problems I have. The first one is the fact that I have no naval basese outside of the Black Sea - the rest of the Black Sea Fleet is bottled up and the 2nd BB Squadron cannot return to port for repairs. A quick check on British-held Malta lets me know that is only lightly defended by mostly conscript infantry. Malta would be both a great base for my ships in the region plus an ideal location to launch attacks against British shipping. However there are two things in my way. one, I have no steam transports in the Black Sea right now and, two, I would have to fight my way out of the Black Sea (requiring me to go to war with possibly both the Balkans and Turkey). I immediately begin building a fleet of transports for the invasion.

I also decided its time to move once again agains the British in French Indochina by attacking and acapturing the city of Hue. I have rebuilt the Russian 7th and 2nd Armies outside of Hong Kong and will use one of them for the attack.

Meanwhile, I get peace treaties with both Portugal and the Scandinavians, since war with either is pointless anymore.

I seem to never have much luck with allies in Civ3, because, for no apparent reason, the ungrateful Germans suddenly declare war on me in Week 2 of 1907. Naturally, this disrupts all my plans I was working on for the past several weeks. After everything I've done for those beer-quzzling, sausage snarfing bastards...

By the start of 1907, I have managed to vastly improve my vp standings:

Having deprived the French and British of all those captured RM's, I have been able to take 2nd place and am actually gaining on the British, albeit slowly.

It always seems somebody declares war on you, when you are prepared to attack elsewhere. Good Luck Brucha!

After being at sea for nearly a year and a half, I decide to recall my squadrons back to the nearest naval bases for repairs. Vice Admiral Sarychev’s naval squadron is still trapped outside of the Black Sea and the sudden war with the Central Powers forces me to put my plans that were developing to capture Malta on hold for now. I was also going to continue with the planned attack on Hue in French Indochina, but again an unexpected war in the region foils my plans for this operation as well.

I am beginning to play rather carefully by this point for several reasons. The experience of losses in my previous war has given me a sense of caution since the Russian Revolution is coming soon. I never play-tested the mods in this scenario up to the revolution, and so I don’t know what to expect or how it will affect the game. The fact that all my military units will be converted to 4.4.1 Red Guard units is also making me cautious.

The Central Powers Invade
I wasn’t expecting a massive invasion of Russia from the Central Powers since my first experience at war with them a while back. However, I do decide to cancel my planned invasion of Malta for now since, to do so, I would have to declare war on possibly both the Balkans and the Ottomans to allow me to fight my way out of the Black Sea.

General Krasnov’s 3rd Army has been transferred to the German front via rail to defend the sector between the cities of Tallinn and Minsk. The army arrives just in time, as his new front is the location of the first of two offensives launched by the Central Powers.

Battle of Minsk
The German offensive in the north began with the advance of three divisions across the border and swung north of Minsk. General Krsnov’s 3rd Army is ordered to repulse the forces immediately.

On March 5th, Krasnov started moving divisions south to meet the German advance while leaving the bulk of his army between Tallinn and Minsk in case of a German secondary attack. By the morning of the 7th, the Russian forces were in position and Krasnov gave the order to attack. The opening moves began at 10.38 am with a short artillery bombardment on the northern portion of the Russian line when three batteries opening fire on the German 15th Cavalry division. The plan was simple; the 33rd Siberian Cossacks would lead the attack, with the 31st Siberian Cossacks and 25th Infantry in support. The short but intense bombardment was so decisive (the German cav is red-lined) that by 11.34 am, the Germans were falling back and a swift envelopment of all three divisions wiped out the German 15th Cavalry.

To the south seven Russian artillery batteries began shelling the German positions at approximately 10.25 am in preparation for the initial advance. Here to the Russian bombardment was very effective and by 11.00 am, the order was given for a general advance (both infantry divisions were red-lined by artillery). The swift advance by the 71st Cavalry division quickly overran the German 3rd Schutztruppe Infantry division in the center while the 36th Siberian Cossacks and 30th East Siberian Rifles divisions advanced to the south. Only here did the Germans put up a determined resistance; the 36th Siberian Cossacks’ attack was stalled and blunted almost immediately with heavy losses (division was destroyed) and the enemy positions were finally overrun at around 11.58 am by the badly mauled 30th East Siberian Rifles (who were red-lined in the attack).

Having blunted the German attack, General Krasnov now requested permission to advance into German territory. Russian High Command, feeling the time was right for a decisive counter-attack, not only granted Krasnov permission, but also ordered him to capture the German city of Konigsberg.

Siege of Lemberg
To support the German offensive to the north, the Austro-Hungarians launch an offensive of their own on March 6th against the city of Lemberg.

After the capture of Lemberg, the city’s defenses were lacking (most had been destroyed in the fall of the city. However, by the winter of 1907, the defenses had been greatly strengthened and consisted of a perimeter of trench works facing north and west, hardened by machine gun positions manning most of the line. Initially, the Russian garrison consisted of only two divisions, the 4th East Siberian Rifles and 4th Infantry but was conspicuously lacking in artillery.

The Austro-Hungarians began the siege on March 6th as soon as the enemy field howitzers were in position. The Austro-Hungarian 10.5 FH battery began shelling the forward-most Russian positions on the north flank in preparation for a general assault. The initial lack of Russian artillery meant that there would be no way to blunt the enemy assault once it began. At approximately 2.39 pm, the Austro-Hungarian 3rd and 7th Infantry divisions began their assault in the face of heavy machine gun fire. Despite valiant efforts the penetrate the defensive line, the attack was repulsed with heavy losses (the 3rd and 7th were destroyed by MG’s). By 5. 12 pm, the attack was called off.

On March 7th, reinforcements were rushed to the city to bolster the defending troops. Five artillery batteries were moved into the city while two cavalry divisions, the Russian 12th and 42nd, took positions just north of the city.

At approximately 4.03 pm, the Russian guns began firing on positions held by the Austro-Hungarian 2nd Infantry division to the northwest of the city. Lacking any defensive cover from artillery, the heavy Russian bombardment of five batteries caused terrible losses to the 2nd Division (red-lined it) - after the short but devastating shelling, the Russian 12th Cavalry division moved from their positions north of the city to overrun the A/H 2nd Infantry division. The Russian cavalry counter-attack was so swift that the 12th Cavalry then turned to sweep north and capture the enemy artillery positioned just behind the enemy front lines.

On March 14th, the Austro-Hungarians renewed their attacks on the city with the arrival of the 5th and 11th Cavalry divisions to the southwest. Here to, the Austro-Hungarians were forced to assault the Russian positions in the face of heavy machine gun fire. The 11th Cavalry were massacred by intense machine gun fire, after advancing no more than 1 kilometer from their starting position, while the 5th Cavalry were forced to retreat having been nearly wiped out (was red-lined).

Following the renewed enemy assault, the Russian 42nd Cavalry was sent round the city to the south via rail. Just as the A/H 5th Cavalry was returning to their initial positions, the 42nd Cavalry struck. Caught disorganized and unaware, the enemy position was soon overrun and the division was destroyed.

Other News
During the Central Powers attack along the Eastern Front, my relations with my neighbors continue to sour when China inexplicitly declares war on Russia in Week 11, 1907. Reluctantly, I cancel my attack on British-held Hue in French Indochina and order the 2nd Army to return to Hong Kong.

I am awaiting a report on Krasnov’s attack on Konigsberg in Week 14, 1907 and have not played through Week 14 to report on events with China. Hopefully, Krasnov will have a report ready in a day or two.

:goodjob:

Brucha: Thank you for the excellent story! Your vast campaign is an inspiration. I have just finished reading through the Soyuz Sovetskikh Sotsialisticheskikh Respublic and the Октябрьская революция - The October Revolution Part 1 - Fall of the Tsars. It's great to be finally caught up.

This AOI mod seems really amazing. I'm looking forward to experiencing it when I get C3C. (I'm still on PTW).

I like the way that you are using military symbols to depict your battles. I think I prefer the Civ editor backgrounds for the land battles that you used in the beginning of the story. They tell me more about the game because I don't have AOI to be familiar with the map.

Also, your English is excellent (I think you said that it is not your first language).
Keep up the great story, and good luck with headstrong subordinate commanders.;)

:goodjob:

Brucha: Thank you for the excellent story! Your vast campaign is an inspiration. I have just finished reading through the Soyuz Sovetskikh Sotsialisticheskikh Respublic and the Октябрьская революция - The October Revolution Part 1 - Fall of the Tsars. It's great to be finally caught up.

That you very much! I did not realize that people read the older stories on the forum! I am glad you are enjoying it.

I like the way that you are using military symbols to depict your battles. I think I prefer the Civ editor backgrounds for the land battles that you used in the beginning of the story. They tell me more about the game because I don't have AOI to be familiar with the map.

What is the general consensus with using the new style of arial view pics for battles rather than from the Civ Editor? Do they make the action more difficult to follow for others? Would a large Civ3 Editor map of the general area or front help?

What is the general consensus with using the new style of arial view pics for battles rather than from the Civ Editor? Do they make the action more difficult to follow for others? Would a large Civ3 Editor map of the general area or front help?

I think it makes the action more difficult to follow. I am used to the way you desribe battles so I overlook it. To me it just seems like strategic recon photos taken by high level bombers that do not exist. A large Civ3 Editor map of the general area or front would help. This is just my opinion, however I of course am only suggesting, I really enjoy the story, and would continue to read it no matter what. The naval ops are fine the way they are however, but perhaps if a large scale fleet action took place, maybe you might try the same method for a sea battle as for a land battle.

I am trying to think of the right way to show the fighting in my own story. I think at the moment I will keep it simple. One step at a time. If I have a current problem it is writers block at the moment.

By the way good job Brucha. I have learned alot from your posts, and thank you for helping me use a few of your ideas in the telling of my own tale.

I think it makes the action more difficult to follow. I am used to the way you desribe battles so I overlook it. To me it just seems like strategic recon photos taken by high level bombers that do not exist. A large Civ3 Editor map of the general area or front would help. This is just my opinion, however I of course am only suggesting, I really enjoy the story, and would continue to read it no matter what. The naval ops are fine the way they are however, but perhaps if a large scale fleet action took place, maybe you might try the same method for a sea battle as for a land battle.

:agree: The Civ3 Editor map would be better.

:agree: Editor is much more simple than those aerial pictures and how do you get aerial pictures without planes? :hmm:

That you very much! I did not realize that people read the older stories on the forum! I am glad you are enjoying it.

Yeah, I have been combing through the archives and have read most of the stories in the Legendary Games threads.
Since then, I quick lurking and actually registered so that I could subscribe to certain succession games and story threads.
When I find a good author (of which you are definitely one!) I like to read all of their stories from past to present.
So, once again, keep up the good work. Big thumbs up. :goodjob:

:agree: Editor is much more simple than those aerial pictures and how do you get aerial pictures without planes? :hmm:

Secret Russian spy planes, of course!

I did not realize the new battle maps was making it more difficult, so I am glad I asked. I will switch back to the Civ3 Edit pcis.

In other news, I recieved General Krasnov's report on his attack on Konigsberg and need to complete a write-up today. I also made an important decision. The Russian Revolution is fast approaching, perhaps within two years game-time. After the October Revolution, I will be forced to go on the defensive for quite some time, so now is last chance I have to launch any large-scale offensives. I have begun planning for one last offensive in French Indochina - the goal is to retake all of French Indochina and Siam and push into India.

For this massive operation, I have allotted four entire Russian armies (80+ combat units and over 50+ artillery batteries) for the initial offensive. All Russian resources and production will be re-tooled to support the campaign. Such a shift of forces overseas will leave but three armies on the European front, but I think they will be more than sufficient in the task. I might even strip one more army from the European front to add to the operation...

I figure that the only path to success is a grinding campaign through French Indochina and Siam and then into India, with the overall tactical plan is to bleed the British white. I have gathered most of my Far East naval ships in the region to support the offensive as well as guard my precious steam transports that will be vital to shipping reinforcements to the region.

If I succeed, that would deal a hefty blow the the British with such a loss of territory (especially lossing their prize jewel in the empire's crown, India). If I fail, it could very well lead to losing Hong Kong and perhaps evern Shanghai.

I have finally received General Krasnov’s report concerning the attack on Konigsberg:

Germany, it seems, is on the verge of collapse in Europe after reading General Krasnov’s report on the attack on the city of Konigsberg. Facing Krasnov’s army of 21 cavalry and infantry divisions (and 13 field artillery batteries) is a tiny garrison of 1 machine gun, 1 infantry division and 3 German Conscript Home Guard divisions. I am simply not seeing large German troop concentrations that I expected to see, and am surprised that Germany has not been overrun from the west completely.

In Krasnov’s own words, he reported that, ‘I began the assault upon the city with a massive artillery bombardment that began at 4.40 am on March 9, the shelling targeting over an area of 20 square miles along the front-most German positions guarding the city. In less than four hours, the Russian artillery fired over 700,000 shells.’ The German defenses of the city were quite inadequate and what little defensive cover for the German troops amounted to little more than city buildings and make-shift barricades. Thus, in the brief but bloody bombardment, there was little cover for the German troops that the front-most line troops suffered terrible casualties (the machine gun and regular infantry division were both red-lined, the home guard divisions have only 1 hp so could not be wounded by the artillery).

As dawn broke over the city, Krasnov ordered a direct assault on the outer defenses. A combination of heavy morning fog and the devastating artillery bombardment allowed the Russian advance to reach the outskirts of the city undetected and unharmed.

The German defenders were wholly incapable of holding their positions in the face of the Russian assault and the enemy line was broken through at each point almost immediately. What German units that were not immediately overrun were surrounded and forced to surrender. Russian casualties were scant at best (the 71st Infantry lost 3/5 hp taking on the German 5th Infantry while the 25th Infantry lost ¾ hp overrunning the 1st Home Guard division).

After the fall of the city, the Europe front grew quiet and in Week 23, Austro-Hungary agrees to a peace treaty. I was glad of this news, as I can now direct all my attention towards the build-up in French Indochina for the coming invasion - however, it seems that the Russians will not see much peace as in Week 35, 1907, Scandinavia renews hostilities by declaring war once again…I order General Krasnov north with his army to force the Scandinavians to sue for peace, with the explicit orders to invade Scandinavia and cause as much damage and destruction as humanly possible to give them no other recourse but to accept peace terms.

French Indochina
Though I had made the decision back in Week 14, 1907 to launch one final operation into French Indochina, the logistics of such an undertaking is such that it is months before everything is in place. Despite the war declared by the Chinese in Week 14, 1907, I continue the build-up for the operation - thankfully, the Chinese limit their offensives against my Far East holdings on mainland China to a few weak attacks (amounting to little more than a couple of attacks on Hong Kong with one or two units at a time).

The overall plan for the operation is quite simple; my initial invasion of French Indochina failed because of two reasons: first, I became bogged down capturing the large quantity of RM’s and, second, I failed to cut off all routes for British reinforcements from the west. I will form my four armies into two separate groups: the 4th and 5th Armies in one group and the 6th and 7th Armies in another. The 4th/5th Armies will push directly westwards from Hong Kong for Calcutta, with the objective of holding the chokepoint leading from Calcutta and India - with impassable mountains directly to the north, the British must march troops trough this tiny gap. Their main goal then is to hold the gap and prevent all British reinforcements from crossing over from India into French Indochina. The capture of Calcutta is a secondary objective, but only if the gap is sufficiently held and defended.

The 6th/7th Armies have the objective of driving south into French Indochina and Siam to capture the cities of Hue, Vientiane, Rangoon, Phnon Pehn, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. Comprised of over 40 combat divisions and 26 artillery batteries, the 6th and 7th Armies are allotted nine Chlorine Gas Shells (this will be the first use of chemical weapons by the Russians).

I have also begun a build-up of reinforcements in Pusan and will begin shipping them to a depot in Hong Kong to reinforce losses during the operation.

I begin my preparation for the operation by directing several naval squadrons to steam towards Siam and Calcutta to destroy all road and rail leading into French Indochina. With the destruction of these road and railways, the British will be greatly slowed in shipping reinforcements. This plan is very successful as, by Week 35, 1907, all roads and rail east from Calcutta and north from Kuala Lumpur are destroyed.

Meanwhile, in Week 29, 1907, the powerful Russian East Asiatic Fleet is ordered to the British-held city of Hue to prepare for the invasion of French Indochina. Between Weeks 29 and 35, the fleet bombards the city relentlessly (two citizens are killed, the food storage is destroyed, and the defending units kept red-lined). The fleet will continue to shell the city until the 6th/7th armies reach the city to assault it.

In Week 32, 1907, the 4th and 5th Armies begin pushing westwards from Hong Kong even before the 6th/7th Armies have reached Hong Kong via steam transports. The reason for this is that the Russian troops, with the artillery in tow, must march through jungles to reach the Calcutta gap and will take several months to get there (at the rate of one tile per turn of movement!).

In hopes of ending the war with China, I order the Shanghai army into China in Week 29 to siege the Chinese city of Zhengzhou just west of Shanghai. This plan actually works when the Chinese ask for peace in Week 35 - the Shanghai army never fired a single shot in its invasion of China, but I guess the mere presence of the Russian troops made the Chinese rethink their decision to go to war with Russia!

Finally, in Week 35, the 6th and 7th Armies have assembled in Hong Kong and begin their push south towards Hue.

Luckily, my preparations for the invasion of French Indochina is not derailed by the British or Chinese and my plans are implemented without interference. Amzingly, in Week 23, the French declare war on Britain just as I am beginning my opening moves...

I'm surprised as you are about the sparseness of German troops; they must have lost a good deal of their manpower in earlier fighting. Odd. Krasnov should be able to roll right over them. :)

France declaring war on Britain will likely help your assault on Indochina. Your idea of using the 4th and 5th armies to guard the Calcutta gap while the 6th and 7th armies take the peninsula itself is a sound strategic plan. I like. :)

I look forward to seeing the results! :goodjob:

I'm surprised as you are about the sparseness of German troops; they must have lost a good deal of their manpower in earlier fighting. Odd. Krasnov should be able to roll right over them. :)

France declaring war on Britain will likely help your assault on Indochina. Your idea of using the 4th and 5th armies to guard the Calcutta gap while the 6th and 7th armies take the peninsula itself is a sound strategic plan. I like. :)

I look forward to seeing the results! :goodjob:

Yes, it is strange about Germany's weakness...I have seen more German colonial infantry than regular infantry in Europe. That can only mean that Germany is not building many regular infantry in Germany itself and is shipping colonial troops from its colonies.

My new plans for the invasion is what I should have done in the first place. I am now kicking myself for wasting so much time and troop losses the first time going after all those RM"S instead of sealing off French Indochina from the west and overrunning it. If I would done so in the first invasion, I would not be forced to invade a second time. Lessons learned the hard way, I guess. This will also be possibly the first use of chemical weapons so far in the game. I just hope that the use of chemical weapons do not incur a rep hit as with nukes! The pedia mentions nothing about that, but ...

It looks like you've been having fun. :)

Oh, very much so!

Top Bottom