1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Perfection KOs Creationism Thread Part Two: The Empiricists Strike Back!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Perfection, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

As I see it, info can be interpreted in two ways, useful genetic mutations like my example, or just adding more genetic material. That's been empirically proven too. So yes, evolutino can add info.

2. Perfection

Those ideas of evolution were unscientific claims with limited evidence and no mechanism. It was the the genius of Darwin and his colleagues to see the underlying causative mechanism behind it that made it a scientifically robust idea.

3. Meleager

Meleager Stoned as a Statue

Isn't creationism also an "unscientific claim"? If so, why didn't they favor the unsientific claim of evolution (for lack of a better word) to the unscientific claim of creationism? (and these people had reason to - the church wasn't always nice to scientists)

4. Sahkuhnder

Sahkuhnder Delusions of grandeur

Totally irrelevant. The number of people who believe anything one way or another has absolutely no relationship to if a thing is true and/or with scientific basis or not.

5. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
    Right, so I believe, I just meant 'never dying' and living forever (or a very long time; no one will escape the entropic decay of the universe) on earth.

6. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I cannot believe you are caling Darwin a genius when in a thread recently, I was able to show that he was a plagiarist and that none of his ideas are new, considering that hi Grandfather put them to papare way before he did.

7. Sahkuhnder

Sahkuhnder Delusions of grandeur

Again, totally irrelevant. Where or from who an idea originated has absolutely no relationship to if a thing is true and/or with scientific basis or not.

8. Perfection

Well creationism is also unscientific, but I'd say less so than early evolutionary theories. Creationism did account for some of the functionining of animal systems. Modern evolutionary theory, of course explains much more.

Link?

9. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

But he was a genius.

Hence, why history recalls him. Funny how your religious mania cannot
    even allow you to regard a great mind as such. Surely you are blinkered
    and misguided in this assessment. Even I can respect great minds that
    invented glorious art and literature, inspired by religion.

10. ironduck

ironduck Deity

I just don't understand why you want to live forever in the afterlife but not for a very long time on earth.. is it because there's too much pain on earth, so that it's not really a nice life, or is it because it would get too boring after a while?

11. CurtSibling

Entropy is a certain thing.

All systems lose cohesion and collapse with time.

12. carlosMM

carlosMM Deity

Please, where's that thread?
    :rolleyes:

13. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

You could also make a point that Newton got most of his ideas from copernicus and kepler and his disciples and that non of them were his own he just used framed all the laws of planetary motion that already existed into some nice maths. Science is about standing on the shoulders of Giants. Darwin is a genius because he took these ideas, spent a lifetime showing scientifically that evolution happened and bought the theory credence and acceptance at least amognst the non religious. That is not the work of a smart man but of a genius, genius is not necessarily how smart you are as Einstein himself said Genius is 99% prespiration 1% inspiration

I would put Newton, Darwin, Schrodinger and Bach and Beethoven and Escher and Camus and Sartre and Nietzche and Chopenhaur and Socrates and Plank and Bohr and Watson and Crick and Marie Curie and Pele all on my hall of fame of geniuses and frankly so would most people? Where the idea that Darwin is not considered a great thinker of his time comes from is probably the same place creationism does, IE from ignorance and self delusion:rolleyes:

14. CurtSibling

God must have hidden it.

;)

15. Quasar1011

Quasar1011 King of Sylvania

If that is true, how did life begin? How did it spring from DNA to single-celled organisms? If we take evolution back to its beginning point, we have to ask these questions.

16. carlosMM

carlosMM Deity

Think about it! Get a good textbook on it. I recommended a fairly recent one in hte last thread once or twice - seems no evolution-opponent ever read it.

17. CurtSibling

I am not qualified to make such guesses on a question no man can answer, and neither are you.

Life certainly did not spring from some ancient fairy tale about snakes, and women being made from ribs, etc.

18. Quasar1011

Quasar1011 King of Sylvania

Wait a minute. If we follow evolution backwards to its obvious beginning- that single-celled organsims sprang from DNA, there is still nothing better than guesses as to how it happened?

So, there are viable theories as to how life made the transition from being just a collection of organic molecules, to becoming sensient organic life?

I mean, one of you 2 is saying no man can answer this, and the other says we can.

19. carlosMM

carlosMM Deity

It is highly improbable that we can find the exact way it happened - for one thing it is very long past, there's hardly any chance at all that anything got fossilized in any way (there's hardly any sediments left from that time to begin with). But, biochemistry gets better and better - we have a good chance to find mechanisms that explain parts of the problem. Like Urey&Miller. Not the whole story, but a tiny part of it. And biology gets better and better - so we from time to time find 'new' primitive organisms (protists, usually) that give a better idea of what way have happened. In the end we will not find out how it happened, but we will find out how it can happen.

I'll give you the title of the book on Monday, if you are interested - it's at the office and I can't remember it of the top of my head.

20. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World

Basically, yes. I believe that in the afterlife we will have a greater capacity to experience joy, and that it will be far better (even for those who were bad in this life) than anything we have here. Also it is obvious that we currently have bodies that are suboptimal or imperfect. I believe that that will be improved on in the Resurrection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.