1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Perfection KOs Creationism Thread Part Two: The Empiricists Strike Back!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Perfection, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Well, other bacteria have more room to breed, and thus natural selection has more to work with. The mitochondria in my cells get worse off over time - in fact, mitochondrial aging is implicated in actual aging.

There's only room for a couple hundred mitochondria in a cell, even in a gamete. So there's only room for a few hundred to undergo natural selection to maintain their health. Since the female gametes degrade over time, why aren't the degredations cummulative?

You'll note that the Bible has a good answer to the question (mitos were better then, and they are degrading). Gradual mt degredation fits the bible theory.

Yeah, it's rare. But I included the information up front, so that I didn't look like an idiot.

2. Samson

Samson Deity

Do you mean cummulative over the course of many generations, or over the course of the life of the woman?

I do not know moch about this field, but I can imagine that;

A population of a few hundred is enough to provide enough natural selection to prevent major problems.
    Natural selection between cells could help the proccess.
    Since female gametes are largely inactive for most of their life there is little genetic damage going on.
    The very rare transfer of mitocondria from the male could again help the process of natural selection.

This is all conjecture, and I expect someone will come along with an authorative answer.

3. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I mean over the course of many generations. Here's my original question.

PS: it was poor phrasing. Don't assume I'm a woman based off of my hypothetical

4. Samson

Samson Deity

OK, I understand your question. I cannot answer it with any authority, but that has never stoped me before ;)

I have previously thought that the prosess of the female forming all her eggs in utero (as opposed the the male way of doing it) could be to reduce exactly this problem. If the inactivety of the eggs reduces the genetic damage by say, 3 orders of magnitude, the mitocondria you got from your mother have an effective age of 3 months (about when the eggs form?) + 20 years / 1000. Your daugters then have an effective age of 6 months + 40 years / 1000. I can imagine that the selection I talked about before (within the cell, between the cells of the blastocyst, added to the minimal flow of genetic matterial from the father) could be enough to maintain a healthy enough population to allow life to continue.

[EDIT] And could easily have caused the evolution of mitocondria from the free living bacteria they once were to the obligate intra cellular comensal they are today.

5. ironduck

ironduck Deity

Ok, you said that the answer to my two questions was that 'no, there was no rain before the flood', and 'no there were no rainbows before the flood'.

So my subsequent questions are:

1) Did water not evaporate and form clouds?

2) Was it impossible for rainbows to be formed, or was it just that no one had seen any? Because there's no need for rain to form rainbows. Any source of drops will do. A waterfall is a good example. In other words, were the laws of physics different to prevent rainbows from forming, or was it just that no one had actually seen a rainbow for some reason?

6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Dude, God can do whatever he wants. If something in the Bible doesn't make sense, we simply assume that God willed it - that way we don't have to think.

7. ironduck

ironduck Deity

You're not being very constructive. I'm trying to understand the logic (or lack of) that takes place here.

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

What logic?

9. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

Iron duck are you really asking for logic based on faith, good luck with that ;):D

Even the lack of logic isn't consistent, what did you expect?

10. ironduck

ironduck Deity

I'm just trying to learn how they think, I find it interesting :)

11. Hotpoint

Hotpoint Rome Treaty Legions

Well it would give me the opportunity to once again demand the apology he owes me from a year ago if nothing else ;)

12. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: 1000 posts reached - thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.