The "OMG! Look what happened in DoC!" Thread

I wish I had screenshots… this was back in 1.12; I popped the 3000bc scenario, selected Argentina on marathon and went to sleep. Woke up to see the Roman Empire still alive, and its vassal, Babylon.

Civ4ScreenShot0130.JPG

Ever wondered what would DoC units do given 3 times more time? Here is the world after 1118 turns on Canadian spawn on Marathon with 3000 BC start! World leaders are China, USA, Russia, Brazil! Kudos Leoreth!

Now the funny stuff. Russian capital is now Nazarovo :pat: in SIberia. Borobudur was built by Romans in Milan, meaning Buddhism reached Roman Empire and they converted. Orthodox holy city is Jerusalem, Catholic is Rome and Reformation started in Paris, which is no more, because Germany took care of French. Mexico and Central America have exact real life borders in 1867! Peru built Colosseum. Of course Irish are still Independent and Russia still founds those Arctic ports, although less than before the commit that supposedly fixed it. Susa never got Islam, it is still Zoroastrian and Buddhist. Turkey is a master of Austria, which nevertheless calls itself an Austrian Empire. Perhaps because Poland was partitioned between Prussia and Austria. Muslim Egypt owns Jerusalem which they given some weird Ancient Pagan Egyptian name even though the city was called Rušalim in the Execration texts of the Middle Kingdom of Egypt (c. 19th century BCE). And map even has Artashat -- the only Armenian city coded into DoC :clap:

Attachments

• QuickSave.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.6 MB · Views: 67
Borobudur was built by Romans in Milan, meaning Buddhism reached Roman Empire and they converted.
By the way does religion spread gets affected by game speed? Do we have a slower rate of spread per turn for marathon speed compared to a normal speed game?

Yes, religion spread is based on an expected "turns to spread" value that scales with speed and gets translated into a spread probability (its inverse). The only thing I could imagine is different is that it is easier to reach distant civs with missionaries on slower game speeds.

How do we get the AI to spread religions to some distant places without scripting them, though? The New World's already fine--some of my concerns are the spread of Islam in Indonesia and Catholicism and Protestantism in East Asia.

Civ4ScreenShot0136.JPG

Don't you just love our game? It's 1868, less than a century since America rebelled and had a war with Britain. But now Lincoln knows who are his true enemies and friends. Transatlantic alliance? Yes, already in place :beer:! Mexico and Spain? Worst enemies. :cowboy:

So, I started a 3000 BCE game as Japan, and decided to check WorldBuilder because I noticed a lot of messages about civilizations collapsing, including Rome collapsing twice somehow. And it looks like the Achaemenids survived pretty well into the 6th Century. They've got the whole Achaemenid Empire except for a tiny part of Lower Egypt.
All Hail the Achaemenids.png

When they say "Eastern Orthodox," I don't think they mean this far east.
Holy City of Shush.png

This is the sole other Orthodox city, and Catholicism hasn't been founded.
Only Other Orthodox City.png

There's also Ultra Ethiopia here.
Ultra Ethiopia.png

Also, Buddhism doesn't appear to exist in this universe.
No Buddha.png

So, this is a very strange world we've got here. Also, most cities in in Western Persia and the remains of Rome have no religion at all, not even Judaism.

How can you see the map during autoplay -- enabled the cheat mode?

Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

13 century world -- and Korea is on the 2nd place (well, after collapse of China of course, but still). Korean capital is the largest city in the world after Luoyang was sacked (I checked). And as you can see in the bottom left Pyongyang already has Seowon and free Scientist, most likely due to favorable event involving being the most literate nation in the world. Why would people in Havaii being worried about those Northern Koreans? :mischief:

Since when does the AI build a Palace (Khanbaliq)?

True, Ai gets it in one instant. But in that screenshot Mongolia is human and I am building Palace just for fun, I like Elective civic...
Oh, then I am really silly... :p

Civ4ScreenShot0144.JPG

Imagine if Indus Valley City states would survive to the heydays of Roman Empire and Cicero's dear friend Atticus would live to encounter this enigmatic civilization! Very fun way to win as Romans and also fun to win as Augustus Caesar with a score of Augustus Caesar :goodjob:. This is by far my largest ever score since the day I started to play BTS 10 years ago :crazyeye:, and I didn't even optimize anything in my game, just went with the flow to witness history unfolding with my little nudges here and there...:mischief: :king:

Civ4ScreenShot0145.JPG

hey tigranes...

good looking rome you got there. would be a shame if someone played your savegames of it....say...mid-game?;)

Thank you, but in fact I took a minimalist approach so I did not settle some cities until the end of and left Carthage to the last -- right now they are very weak and I felt bad to attack them right from the start. I am sure anyone can do better but if you want I only keep last 10 turns, plus a file right before victory, that's the most mid-game I can provide to you :goodjob:

No, right now I am mostly playtesting for v 1.5, trying to see if all the UHVs are possible.

i'll take it (the earlier one with the fully settled empire). i'm interested in your playing style! you play on marathon?
Here we go! Beware: Barbarians everywhere!

Attachments

• Augustus Caesar AD-0320 Turn 162 Byzantium.CivBeyondSwordSave
    493.5 KB · Views: 44
Top Bottom