The "OMG! Look what happened!" Thread

it's the year 1605, european countries are barely colonizing the americas in the name of allah... except for the heretic countries like buddhist kingdom of spain and not-even-a-single-religion-penetrated kingdom of netherlands.

how come vikings gets to have islamic religion first than netherlands? and barcelona is the only spanish city with religion.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 874
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 776
Played a game as Germany where I prematurely attacked Great Britain and the rest of Europe.

After the english were pushed out of Britain they made their new capital Boston, and evidently thought archers would be best.

Also took over europe completely by ~1920, had the largest army on earth, and achieved a Historical victory.

Are the scores usually higher for some of the earlier civ's Historical victories? I assumed the score was due to the victory date and the amount of cities that were razed.

Are the scores usually higher for some of the earlier civ's Historical victories? I assumed the score was due to the victory date and the amount of cities that were razed.

well, Babylon and Eypgt will generally be higher scored because they finish UHV very quickly.

Played a game as Germany where I prematurely attacked Great Britain and the rest of Europe.

After the english were pushed out of Britain they made their new capital Boston, and evidently thought archers would be best.

Also took over europe completely by ~1920, had the largest army on earth, and achieved a Historical victory.

Man, are u sure that u achieved all of UHV?:) Something tells me u failed with 3rd goal.

Well admittedly the only reason I was first to complete the tech tree was because I killed/vassaled any tech competitors. Building an army to take over europe often times leads to having a large standing army :D

I'm not sure if this counts, because its a load of weird bugs resulting from a failed modding attempt, but here goes:

I tried to create a "Scythian" civilization (represented by ancient-era Russian) by using starting a 3000BC game, using the worldbuilder to add the Russians, then saving it as a scenario and restarting it.

First weird thing: for some reason the Russians (and only the Russians) had all their tech costs reduced to 1.

I decided to play a Chinese game, and see how things went (playing Russians would obviously be way to easy).

Second weird thing: lots of AI civs started declaring war on themselves, and/or vassalizing themselves.

Third weird thing: Russia shot ahead in tech, and presumably shared their knowledge around, lots of Civs ended up more advanced than they usually did, which in turn led to some very weird relationships developing (Japan vasselizing the Inca and Maya; Ashoka asking me to join them in their war on the annoying Aztecs, etc).

Fourth weird thing: the game was surprisingly peaceful: probably partly because everyone was declaring war on themselves, and partly because the UN and Apostolic Palace kept calling for "end the war" votes. (In one particularly daft example, the Mongols waited until their "conquer China" UHV had expired before attacking me, and then when the UN called a vote to stop the war, they voted for peace). The one major exception was:

Russia vs. Rome. This war started shortly after Rome spawned, and lasted until the min 1400s (when Russia nuked Rome, causing them to collapse a couple of turns later).

Technically this is from the Multiplayer variant, but since China is an AI I think their scouting Catapult counts.

First weird thing: for some reason the Russians (and only the Russians) had all their tech costs reduced to 1.

Yeah for some reason if a civ has not spawned then all of the tech costs are messed up. Tech costs are normal if you respawn a civ that got killed off but if you try to spawn a civ prematurely the techs get way too cheap.

Technically this is from the Multiplayer variant, but since China is an AI I think their scouting Catapult counts.

I've never seen china have enough units laying around to scout. Especially a catapult.

During a peaceful game as germany there was a carthage respawn. Usually by this time in the game there is a roman respawn.

They immediately vassaled to france.

Playing through on Monarch, now on Ethiopia (hard!)

Somehow, very luckily I just built the Great Wall. I do not know what is really going on in the rest of the world since from ~100 AD to 900 AD just fighting barbarians and natives. Anyway, can someone help me understand why there is no southern border to my Great Wall? Is that so the barbarians from down that way can still walk in? (not sure but from other games I know subsaharan Africa is full of Native Impis but not sure there are true barbs down there).

Spoiler :

I 'm not 100% sure, but I think Africa is 2 continents gamewise : northern and southern. As the Great Wall only protects you from barbs on the continent it is built in, it stops at the limit between these two. You'll have to be cautious if you built cities in southern Africa, they won't be protected from barbs !

I think it is because the Great Wall only protects from barbarian on the same continent. In RFC, some continents are a bit different than the real life counterparts. For example, Africa north of the Sahara counts as Asia. This is for gameplay reasons. Therefore, only Subsahara counts as Africa.

I think your cultural border is on the border of these RFC continents. The southern border is on a different continent, so that won't be protected. (I think the art is set up so it will only be placed on the continent it's build on.

Thanks Noshame and merijn re: Africa being two continents. Sounds right since with Egypt I did get benefits of some wonders crossing into Asia.

Now, continuing the Ethiopia game I was lucky enough to beeline to Optics and get both Conqueror's events. When I tried to attack Aztecs immediately after getting my conquerors, they were teleported out of the Aztec territory (to the Canary Islands as in the screenie, and somewhere in the South Pacific). This has never happened to me - after the event I've always been able to attack. For a test I entered WB and put Monty at war with me and my troops were teleported also. Now these troops are stuck useless but sapping maintenance until I can get Astronomy.

Spoiler :

Yeah, I encountered this problem too : it happens when your army pops on a spot where there is an aztec unit. To avoid this, reload and move to another spot (then, your army will pop on another spot) or wait a fews turns. (or don't declare on spawn , but bribe them to have an open borders agrement, move your units out of their territory, then declare !)

@clanky, I did declare on same turn
@NoShameD: if I had the save I would go check to be certain but I am 99+% sure you are right; there was a greyed out unit in the stack with my units. Two turns later I got the Inca conqueror event and no problems. Thanks NoShameD :goodjob:

No problem and good luck with your ethiopian game (their stability is a pain...)

NoShameD you are right: I thought I was rolling up to 1500, spreading slowly down the coast of Africa to where Dutch and English cities would be settled (Winburg and Port Elizabeth)...now for really no reason that I can infer, stability dropping from ~0 to -50. Really really infuriating feature of the RFC game. Even the guides which are available (the ones at https://web.archive.org/web/) don't really help me understand stability; if it wasn't so opaque I'd be ok with it, but I have a growing empire, OB with the whole world except two Islamlists, I founded Christianity and pleased/friendly with a bunch, lots of trade, 79% approval rating, and building jails in well developed cities. I have 3 vassals. Yet I have a -30 Foreign rating. What gives? Civics I suppose...I can't really figure out the best civics combo (and whether each civ has it's own civic flavors that give/take away stability).

Top Bottom