[GS] The Ottomans Discussion Thread

Once you get to jannisaries you can go on another free conquest. Since they replace musketmen, I'm curious if I can just build swordsmen, move the swordsmen to a foreign city, and they upgrade to jannisaries? I wouldn't want to have to hard build them, but I guess they are cheap either way.

Yes, the janissaries are cheaper to build than muskets. Add in Ibrahim's 20% buff to producing military units and you could churn them out quickly.

Better resolution :D

I'd say it's the Meenakshi Temple. It's not a perfect likeness, but when has a Civ VI wonder ever been? It has the key architectural features, including the blue horn-like structures at the top.

Spoiler :

This is probably the strongest implementation of the Ottoman Empire we've seen in a civ game, it certainly covers all the obvious bases. Suleiman looks great and it will be fun to conquer with him!

Looks very strong for domination. I like me a good domination game from time to time but they don't bring much new to the table that other civs don't already do. I'm *meh* on them.

Minor point, I guess, but does he get the era score when he gets 7 governors out, or does he have to get all 8?

Good question. I would assume you need all 8 to get the +1 era score. I would also assume he gets era score when he first gets the unique governor.

That was the traditional designation before the Ottoman conquest as well.

Not "Caesar", but yes. "Caesar" in the Roman empire was a title for the junior emperor who was the de facto heir.

He claimed maternal descent from a Roman Emperor, but it's impossible to verify it.

The Ottoman Sultans didn't claim they were the rulers of Rome per se, but they claimed the title and right to rule over Orthodox Christians. The ruler of all Orthodox Christians (and theoretically all Christians in general) is the Roman emperor, whether they are citizens or not. The early Ottoman empire was majority Orthodox and very Balkan-centered, so before the claim of the title of Caliph, the title "Kayser-i Rum" helped grant legitimacy. Remember that the relatives of Constantine XI had a claim and supporters in the west to usurp the throne.

Suleiman made two claims to Rome--one through a distant ancestor and the other by conquest.
The Russian rulers also claimed to have inherited the title of Roman emperor through blood.

Even though familial lines were used for claims, the Roman throne cannot be claimed via inheritance because the title was not hereditary. The fact it was effectively that with fathers being succeeded by their sons was mostly a matter of nepotism/establishing a dynasty. Theoretically, the emperor could name anyone as their co-emperor and heir, which is why usurpers were rarely challenged if they succeeded (with the logic "if they succeeded, then they must have had God's favour").

I'd say it's the Meenakshi Temple. It's not a perfect likeness, but when has a Civ VI wonder ever been? It has the key architectural features, including the blue horn-like structures at the top.

Spoiler :

This is probably the strongest implementation of the Ottoman Empire we've seen in a civ game, it certainly covers all the obvious bases. Suleiman looks great and it will be fun to conquer with him!

It is so close that I have added it to the Features Thread unless I hear otherwise

I love design of civ6 Ottomans in every aspect. Wonderful implementation of of th military and administrative skills.

Especially when compared with civ5 Ottomans which had one great military unit, one pointless and one of the worst uniwue abilities in the entire game, only good on heavy water maps (somehow turning entire Ottoman empire into "pirate swarm")

Will he like if I conquer his cities? :p

This reminds me of when I have had it up to here with Alexander, and take several of his cities to punish him. He begs for peace and I relent, but keep his cities and some gold. The very next turn he insults me because I won't fight for my people.

I hope Suleiman is a bit more logical than that.

This reminds me of when I have had it up to here with Alexander, and take several of his cities to punish him. He begs for peace and I relent, but keep his cities and some gold. The very next turn he insults me because I won't fight for my people.

I hope Suleiman is a bit more logical than that.

It is logical, but it ignores context because it is a simple computer code.

Ottomans seem to have no early game advantages and perhaps a coastal start bias? They feel similar to Spain in a lot of ways, except they're more of a pure domination civ, whereas Spain can pivot to other victory types.

So can the jannisaries be upgraded from earlier units? If so it seems like an easy way to circumvent their downside, if not that's a fairly big speedbump to a timing push which already comes quite late for a domination civ...

Also, your bonuses to conquered cities (no population loss, +1 amenity, +4 loyalty) are available from the start of the game.

Production boost to siege weapons as well. First thing I thought: what a powerhouse. Not completely a one trick pony with the bazaar and a lot more interesting to me than the civ 5 version. I am kindda worried about the governor though, he can put it in your capital and (currently) there is no way to get rid of governors in your own cities. So no counter play to a very powerful ability.

Also, your bonuses to conquered cities (no population loss, +1 amenity, +4 loyalty) are available from the start of the game.

True. When I jump my neighbor in the Ancient Era, I often have to raze their second city before conquering their capital or it will flip back while I do that. That bonus will probably help prevent that.

My usual MO is to take over a neighbor early, then play peaceful builder for the rest of the game. The Ottomans might just be the nudge that puts me on a warmongering spree.

I alluded to it earlier but yeah it should be noted that while Ottomans have a bonus against breaking cities down in the early game, they don't have any combat strength bonus against actual units and catapults aren't the best against units. So in order for the Ottomans to not suck, you really need to capture cities early, but if you have crappy land at the start and your neighbors are Macedon or America or Aztec or Nubia or Scytha etc then it's going to be rough.

I suppose this would be one reason you would consider the Corsair as an ace up your sleeve in case you neighbors are coastal and have a massive strength advantage against you in the early game.

Last edited:
So can the jannisaries be upgraded from earlier units? If so it seems like an easy way to circumvent their downside, if not that's a fairly big speedbump to a timing push which already comes quite late for a domination civ...
Since they are confirmed as a replacement unit, it would be strange if they cannot be upgraded to. Yet, this is what everyone will be doing. It's rare that you build musketmen anyway, no one will hard build Janissaries.

Top Bottom