1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] The Ottomans Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 22, 2019.

1. SephiBBZ

SephiBBZ Chieftain

It seems... So strong. What is this joke :D

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Ah. I misunderstood. Since other free promotions just fill the unit's experience bar to the next threshold so it can get a promotion, I assume that's what happens when you upgrade a Swordsman to a Janissary. The experience bar bumps to the next threshold for its first, second, third, or etc promotion.

If your swordsman is already close to the next threshold, you probably want to level it up somehow before upgrading and getting the free one.

AvianBritish, SammyKhalifa and Siptah like this.
  3. Josephias

Josephias Chieftain

Yes, I was doing a mental exercise to compare them, since they were clashing continuously at their peak… not that good at working with meta numbers but we have:

- Janissaries vs Conquistadors: cheaper, extra promotion and +5 strenght vs +10 strenght if packed with a religious unit along with religious conversión (to be counted in "loyalty" bonuses).
    - Barbary Pirates vs Early Fleets: Early Privateers are available to the Ottomans before Mercantilism vs At Mercantilism, Spain can ¿field? a powerful Navy (albeit expensive)
    - Vizier combat bonus vs Religión Combat Bonus: More focused, fully controlable (3-turn establishment) +5 combat/+10 vs district (plus cheaper unit production) vs +4 against different religión (more generic, but also dependant on how religions are spread).
    - Vizier diplomacy vs Trans-continent trade routes: Viziers Will provide you also some bonuses relative to diplomatic status (Alliance, grievances) and loyalty, vs Spain Will get extra Benefit from its trade routes (but needs it to pay for more expensive armies).
    - Bazars vs Missions: I guess the extra amenities from Bazaars (plus counter benefits), will help you more with loyalty tan missions (but do not have extra science).
    - Strong siege & conquer benefits vs inquisitors?: Turkey wins, hans down.

I guess if I had to buff a bit Spain to put it in line with turkey I'd probably enhance the Tresaure Fleets with some kind of amenity bounus (maybe +1 Amenity if the trade route has an improvement in one of the cities that is not previously connected by other route). This Will enhance a bit Spain at domination, while still make it highly dependant on its trade routes (altough It could be also nice if Tresaure Fleets gave Spanish Fleets and Armadas the same effect that Mali cavalary has, but for sea routes).
    Spain seems still requires more effort to be succesful first (you need to manage to have a good economy to field your powerful army, and corsairs Will be raiding you to prevent specifically that). But seems somewhat historically accurate.

Midori likes this.
  4. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I'm disappointed that Suleiman doesn't have a turban larger than his head. :( As for the civ itself, at least it's only 90% warmongering instead of 100% warmongering. :rolleyes: Ottomans just became the civ I play right before Canada. :p

jddods, conorbebe, Julia97 and 2 others like this.
  5. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

That's what I am thinking too, but then there's that caveat in the new governor promotion that gives a free promotion to built units that don't already have one. I know it's a slightly different situation, but maybe they think that's too strong.

6. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

My guess is because they wanted a domination focused governor, and one you could put in other civs, and that wouldn't make a lot of sense for Roxelana.

I definitely wouldn't mind some of the original civs being buffed (i.e. Spain, Egypt), but looking at 'tier lists', the strongest civs listed are usually all either the DLC civs (i.e. Macedon, Australia, Nubia) or from Vanilla (i.e. Sumeria with his warcarts, Aztecs, Greece). Korea and occasionally Zulu are the only R&F civs I see being ranked highly, and the agreed upon weakest civ in the game - Georgia - comes from R&F. So I don't see much power creep happening beyond the initial standalone DLC civs.

7. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Chieftain

This may seem weird, as those kind of games are very rare, but I guess this UG and the left side of his promotion tree might be good for a team play. The left side of the tree is good if you have an alliance, and if your ally is at war with someone, you can just place the Vizier at your ally's city and make him stronger while defending. Just imagine Gilga and Sully as the best gym bros and, ouch, that might hurt together. For multiplayer, if you want to play collectivelly with some friend, that would be crazy OP. That is marginal, not many team games overall.

Anyway, we can use the Vizier as an advantage to any AI that is having a bad time against other AI: place him at the AI you want to help, buff their unit production by 20%, give them some bonuses to attack 5 tiles around the city, and so it can protect himself better. If you want to play the Ottomans more peacefully that can be someway to counter any Dom Civ that is geared to a snowball victory. Besides, you can place the Vizier to help a AI while you attack the other AI from another end of their empire. It is a different gameplay indeed, more cooperative for the play towards the AI.

Seek, Ondolindë and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  8. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

Well, this design encourages players to do something they might not otherwise do. Good civ designs do that.

I'm a big fan of this design. It offers a diverse palette military advantages that a thinking player can leverage strategically. This could be a model for how to do dom civ's right. and a far better alternative to just handing out sweeping combat bonuses for a hammer-nail approach (a la Mongols, Zulu).

Got everything people might want with an Ottomans civ. Cannons, corsairs, janissaries, and bazaars. Perhaps the bazaar could have been more focused on economy and trade--something similar could have been said for Arabia's design--but maybe we'll see Morocco show up at some point.

9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

I don't know if I need buffs as much as abilities that make sense with each other. I don't think every civ needs to take you by the hand and lead you the way you should play it (my favorites tend to be generalist civs many consider to be weaker) but it's nice when the different components work together.

steveg700 likes this.
  10. Corozivu

Corozivu Chieftain

This civ is perfect for my play style. I cant wait. Its perfect to attack the civs I havent killed in the ancient era after I spend the Classical Era building up my empire. Awesome stuff.

11. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I think it is the other way round - this Janissary design makes you do what you always do: upgrade your swordsmen instead of hard building later units.

Leucarum likes this.
  12. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

The Maya are requested often by the fans.

13. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Warlord

For a civ which already has two units, a building and a governor, does it need to be? This is also the lesser part of this ability - the major one is that captured cities don't lose population, and the combat strength bonus is a nice buff. Plus the siege bonus is better than it looks early, since cheaper, better catapults will be excellent in the early game.

Most of the time you upgrade into Musketmen, you don't build them - and with the Ottomans you either incur no cost when building them because you're taking them from occupied cities, or you use them to occupy cities which don't lose population, and so more than make up the difference.

Lots of abilities and units that individually look "a bit above average" equate to a top tier civ in my book. The Ottomans get production discounts on important units (Janissaries and siege), earlier access to a powerful naval melee unit, improved combat performance on all of them, extra amenities and higher population to help keep newly-conquered cities loyal, and extra strategic resources to support their military. This will play out as a high-powered domination civ that is better later in the game than any other domination civ, without giving up anything early (since the siege bonus applies as early as Mathematics). Oh, and they have a governor.

Because it will just play as a domination civ it's not one I'm overly interested in playing immediately, but its design is very interesting and synergistic for a domination civ without just being a Macedon 'spam lots of units' design. It also hits a lot of Ottoman flavour perfectly.

14. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Chieftain

Yup though the design is good it does seem a bit boring to me too, but then again I only very rarely play games where I'm going for conquest. I would've liked +1 range for their siege units, now that would be spicy.

I like the modding possibilities that will be opening up... I can see a mod being developed to give each civ a unique governor.

Kmart_Elvis and Ondolindë like this.
  15. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

The UG is amazing for modders.

But I wonder if this design might foreshadow ideas for future civ games, may it be a spinoff or civ VII: leaders get a fixed bonus and have a promotion tree to customize your civ bonuses while playing. Suleyman is practically exactly that - he get's the Janissary as base bonus and then some promotions via the governor. Just that this "via the governor" makes it a kind of trade-off as you have to spend the same resource on it that you would usually spend for other governor promotions since the Ottomans have no bonus towards governor points. But maybe in the next game there it's something like "pick one promotion every two eras?"

16. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

Yep. I mean "of the Romans" instead of "of Rome."

Ruler of the Romans is included in their title like Successor to the Prophet and ruler of Jerusalem. His title (as best as I can reconstruct after I remove the places he didn't yet control):

Sultan Suleiman Han, Sovereign of The Sublime House of Osman, Sultan of Sultans, Khan of the Khans, Commander of the faithful and Successor of the Prophet of the lord of the Universe, Custodian of the Holy Cities of Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem, Caesar of Rome, Padishah of The Three Cities of Constantinople, Adrianople and Bursa, and of the Cities of Damascus and Cairo Egypt, of all Azerbaijan, of the Magreb, of Barkah, of Kairouan, of Aleppo, of the Arab and Persian Iraq, of Basra, of Raqqa, of Mosul, of Parthia, of Diyâr-ı Bekr, of Cilicia, of the provinces of Rum, of Sivas, of Karaman, of Van, of Barbary, of Tripoli, of Syria, of Rhodes, of the province of Peloponnese, of the Mediterranean Sea, of the Black Sea, of Anatolia, of Romania, of Baghdad, of Kurdistan, of Greece, of Turkestan, of Tartary, of the two regions of Kabarda, of Georgia, of the steppe of Kipchaks, of the Tatars, of Theodosia and of all the neighboring regions, of Bosnia, of the City and Fort of Belgrade, of the province of Serbia, with all the castles and cities, of all Arnaut, of all Wallachia and Moldavia, as well as all the dependencies and borders, and many others countries and cities.

I know that, but Suleiman seemed to think it was important for propaganda reasons to say he had a link to the imperial family (even if no one can verify that link)

17. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

Joke? No, no mounties, no hockey rinks....Just what appears to be a well-designed dom civ.

Really, compare with the kind of advantages you can get with the Mongols, Aztecs, or Zulu, I think the Ottomans are pretty reasonable. It's strategic warfare where you have to plan where to deploy the vizier, where to build janissaries, where to raid. Siege units actually get some love.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Deggial and Ondolindë like this.
  18. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

I definitely agree, I prefer coherent generalist (i.e. Mali for example), and unique/active (i.e. Maori) over generic/passive. I'm less fond of coherent but focused (i.e. Ottomans here with their dom victory, or even Sweden with a very specific culture victory focus). The 'hodgepodge' style is definitely less interesting since it often makes it feel like a more generic play through.

The two commonly criticized ones I listed: Egypt and Spain, I think Egypt suffers from being a somewhat hodgepodge generalist with mostly passive abilities, and Spain is actually probably pretty religious victory focused, except most people don't like religious victories. Plus they suffer the 'byzantine problem' - religious bonuses but no guarantee/bonus to getting a religion.

Cyon likes this.
  19. TheSpaceCowboy

TheSpaceCowboy "Save a horse..."

I'd be interested in how the Vizier functions in games where the Rise & Fall mechanics are disabled (or for players who've only purchased the second expansion and not the first).

Right now, Ibraham can be so powerful and yet still balanced precisely because his promotions come at the expense of recruiting or promoting other governors. When he is the only governor in the game, the balance of power seems to tip to the Ottomans.

20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

The one I can't get into is India. I'm not sure why I'd ever want to be either of those leaders.

bbbt likes this.