The Politics of Empire (POE)

If we're being realistic here, then at the start of the game we have a serious problem with any expansion attempts. The Great Powers of Europe have always opposed any other Great Powers expanding, and are likely to do so in this situation as well.

If we're being realistic here, then at the start of the game we have a serious problem with any expansion attempts. The Great Powers of Europe have always opposed any other Great Powers expanding, and are likely to do so in this situation as well.

And that's why I chose the ideology I did. :p

Only people who can really threaten us are Britain, France, and Russia, and that's mostly because our colonial territories would be easily nommed.

We can always wait until our neighbors inevitably declare war on each other, of course. Gives us time to build up more divisions anyway. The Lowlands were something of a pain to seize due to more numerous forces than anticipated; presumably a larger realm like Austria-Hungary will have its fair share of manpower as well.

Though what WIM says also applies. We can whoop the asses of everybody but Britain on a quality basis, and the latter only has an advantage because they have many, many more ports than we do.

Austria Hungary would be much harder to conquer, because unlike the low countries the Habsburg Empire is a great power. It is if OTL is the guide the second largest nation in Europe (after Russia) the third most populous (after Russia and Germany) and the fourth most industrialised (after the United States, Germany and Britain). Do not mistake colonies with power tani.

Austria Hungary would be much harder to conquer, because unlike the low countries the Habsburg Empire is a great power. It is if OTL is the guide the second largest nation in Europe (after Russia) the third most populous (after Russia and Germany) and the fourth most industrialised (after the United States, Germany and Britain). Do not mistake colonies with power tani.

It's also a patchwork of cultures and peoples that at some point will want independence.
Don't confuse territory with power either.

It's also a patchwork of cultures and peoples that at some point will want independence.
Don't confuse territory with power either.

I'm not though, why do you think I looked down on equating vast colonial Empires with power. Far better to look at a nations economic and demographic potential.

As to the patchwork of cultures thing, It was only during the first world war that rising nationalist movements amongst certain ethnicities (the Hungarians and Germans who make about half the Empire between them, the Poles and Ruthenians as well were on the whole loyal making up another 18%: nationalism was strongest amongst the Czechs and the Romanians and Serbs where nationalist movements had the backing of Romanian and Serbian nation states, although as with any movements its not like every Czech or Serb was a member) were stirred into a bonfire by the diminution of the Empire in the war. This ethnic component to instability was also associated with the labour movement which was an equally important factor in the internal decomposition of the Empire (and one which is present across Europe at the time as a source of instability, including in Germany). All in all, one should avoid oversimplifying the Austrian Empires problems, seeing as some of them are present across Europe and others (such as Nationalism) are overrated in one sense, and not totally unique to it either (Russia and Britain have minority problems in Poland and the Baltics, and Ireland respectively)

There's no guarentee of victory if Germany faces, say, France and Russia at the same time. The Triple Entente has not been formed yet, but those two are either allied or fairly close I think.

As for the British, they have traditionally opposed the greatest continental power which means us.

Finally, of course, nobody should forget about the Triple Alliance, even if Italy isn't quite in it any more.

I forgot to mention that to spare myself a migraine (I've tried running spreadsheets with tons of statistics and dozens of nations... dear god), statistics are based off a game file, which otherwise has no bearing on this forum game.

There are technically no alliances as a result, BUT, that doesn't mean I can't make things as if there were. Would make things more interesting, anyway. :p

In light of that, I imagine Russia will have no sympathies for Austria-Hungary given their antagonism over the Balkans, and neither would Italy given their irredentism. However, there is still the issue of France and Britain, and that is where our primary concern would be; the prospect of Germany doubling in size likely doesn't sit well with them, which is problematic given they would give us a headache (if manageable) in Europe and utterly outnumber us overseas. We could always wait for them to go to war with each other, however!

In the meantime we can make use of the fact we have one of the strongest per capita economies on Earth to build a massive military capable of rapidly seizing territory; we could also work on establishing shipping lanes to Africa. The Great Powers are rather lacking in deploying machine gun technology (which we have invented first, as a note; Deutschland ueber alles); it would thus be easy to gain a huge defensive advantage in Africa by setting up machine gun posts in all the colonies. They will make a world of difference against the inferior local troops versus what difference they'd make against potent European forces - we may best the French on the seas but they have more men and can rival us in training.

Germany has lots to do on the civilian front, as the colonies are far from well-developed. Taking over parts of the Congo was not an easy task, requiring we strain our local manpower reserves to the breaking point. There is lots of room for becoming non-interventionist barring an excellent opportunity.

Should France ever be distracted, an invasion of Siam could pay dividends by granting us clout in Asia, though the real prize over there would be to increase our influence in China or Tibet. Tsingtao is horribly vulnerable to enemy incursion, after all.

Though South America is rich in opportunities, the Americans are a presumptuous sort who feel it is their right to govern the affairs of the whole of the New World, so we most definitely do not want to try that route until we have a fleet that could tear the East Coast to shreds. That they promise not to interfere with existing colonies, however, means we could take the local Spanish, Danish, Dutch, and French territories without precipitating a war, though we're sure they'd grump. It'd be good to have a local power base for if we ever exert our influence on the region; never mind the fact Spain's military forces are absolute trash and we would roll right over them.

The fact the Ottomans have no real friends also makes them a fairly tempting target, now that I consider it.

1873 to 1887 irl Austria, Germany and Russia were allied in the League of the Three Emperors. While this alliance broke down due to rivalry between Austria and Russia in the Balkans (and Russia signing agreements with France) it reflects also that there is a political division in Europe between traditionalist autocracy and more liberal trends that is pushing the more autocratic eastern European powers together against such forces as laicist France and liberal Italy. Theres also of course the consideration that the current foreign policy doctrine in Europe is focussed on maintaining a balance of power, and so despite Russia's rivalry with Austria they are likely to oppose a German invasion simply because such a powerful German state as would be the result on its border would be intolerable to it (and reasonably to all the other European great powers)

Considering this, I would advise that the best option would be to focus firstly on the domestic front, and with regards to warfare to the expansion of the German colonial Empire (since wars with great powers in this sphere can be restricted to the colonial sphere). With regards to Europe, I'd actually say that our best bet is to wait for ideological divisions to deepen, since that likelihood would permit Germany the opportunity to gain the factional support of whatever side we align with in cutting down an ideologically opposed rival. The most likely avenue for such allegiance would be to align with autocratic eastern Europe (Russia and Austria), expanding our Imperium into laicist France in the name of monarchy and Christendom. In the absence of a dual fronted war, and with the oracular knowledge of the players regarding military doctrine, this would also serve if successful to isolate Britain, expelling its influence from the continent.

The British and Russians have gone to war already, tis true...

They may be a useful pawn in any European conflict yet!

Sounds like increasing our overseas clout may be best, however. Anyone fancy an excursion into Asia? Our holdings in the East are in serious need of expansion.

It would also allow us to kick the French out of Indochina when we inevitably go to war.

Once France is taken care of, it will become much, much more feasible to carve our former allies up, as well...

:bump:

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about this. :p

Alrighty, how about a roll call? Who's still onboard?

Here.

Just a heads up, Neverwonagame is in the middle of a two-week cruise around the coast of Bannedistan, if you get my drift, so you should probably discount him if you plan on starting within this week.

Top Bottom