1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rogue One Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CavLancer, Dec 23, 2016.

?

How do you rate it on 1-5

1. 1 Fantastic!

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. 2 pretty good

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. 3 average

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. 4 not good

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. 5 Awful

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CavLancer

CavLancer This aint fertilizer

Yeah, I didn't say anything but this was me too.

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Nice!

Capturing the feeling is easy for me since I still have it installed and play it now and then.

3. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

I liked it a lot.

Synsensa likes this.
  4. r16

r16 not deity

it's a generation gap , ı think , to see Yoda on Dagobah as an excess of some sort . From this nerd , who was personally amazed to see the critter turn out to be the best or something back in '82 , it's the essential Star Wars that size matters not . Much better if you don't have the size in the first place . Wampa introduces the telekinesis to audiences who were not immersed into the practicalities of it in the SW universe ; there were just sabers and these droids are not ones you were looking for in Episode IV ...

5. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Trailer looks nice, but...:

This is beyond a milk-cow by now. I mean... Vader again as the last trailer scene? The series seems to be overplaying itself as a franchise.
    Particularly if one takes into account that this is a series that got prominence back at a time when movies with linear plots were the norm, while now it looks like a silly-ish space opera next to even (most) other scifi-ish films on cinema or tv.

That said, i never was a fan of star wars. I know many people were mad about those films, back when there were only the original three. I recall a fellow pupil inviting me to his house for the first time when we were 8 years old, and insisted i watched The Empire Strikes back, as if it was the most awesome thing he had to offer his guest. I was really bored :D (well, i only liked the battle in the snow sequence).

6. CavLancer

Back in the day it was the first depiction of what space combat might actually look like. Two dimensional sure but not nearly as much so as everything else at the time. That was the age of space ships on strings. Star Wars was a quantum leap. People born later might not realize the effect it had. I was watching TV and movies through the 60s, Star Wars was a breath of fresh air. By then Captain Kirk was selling Parkay Margarine, and what a let down that was. Went to see Star Wars a few times...

7. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Star Wars is a space opera, I'm not sure how calling it one is meant to be insulting...

8. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

I saw it as the Christmas Day outing. Pretty good.

There was definitely a grittier side of things, which the original lacked. The Death Star is used in a more logical way, which increased the impact. Blowing up a planet is flashy, but the scale is hard to grasp. A megaton-level blast does not leave many survivors but it's something we can grasp emotionally. That said, I wish it was not like the end of The Hunchback of Notre Dame (book not movie).

J

9. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Wait everyone saying the old ones were clean, they were chopping off arms and heads and killing families.

10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Not "clean" but the observance of "never kill a hero" was unmistakable. For the longest time in movies you might have peripheral characters that died heroically, but an actual dead hero was just never going to happen. That was the times.

Even a couple decades later I remember seeing a movie where Robert De Niro played the obvious hero cop...fairly late in the movie he gets caught by the killers...he gets tied to a chair...he gets beaten a bit...it seems hopeless...

And it was totally shocking unbelievable when they just shoot him and that's that.

I don't remember anything else about that movie. I remember a lot of conversations about that movie, and the only thing anyone ever said was "can't believe they killed Robert De Niro."

11. CavLancer

For the longest time you didn't want to be a black guy in a sci fi film, they would kill you off every time. The other heroes made it through okay, but not the black guy. This film was more equal opportunity.

12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Star Trek math: Black guy + red shirt = dead.

13. CavLancer

I think it was the red shirt. :mischief: Style points sure, but might as well paint a big target on.

14. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Well, yeah, the red shirt was certainly the biggest contributor there.

Star Trek trivia:

Q: Why did Mr Scott never go on away missions?

A: Because he was the only series regular in a red shirt.

15. Kyriakos

I had watched that movie in a cinema. Deniro's death was the only good thing in the entire movie :yup:

16. CavLancer

He's too good an actor to shoot. I mean has there been a sequel? No, they shot De Niro. People don't forgive that sort of thing.

17. Kyriakos

It wasn't the kind of movie that would go for sequels anyway.

Some sort of botched up social commentary on people being let off in the media for having 'bad childhoods' etc.

18. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

Sisko was black. You are right though, Tuvok was yellow.

19. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

LOL... Working title: What the characters you don't remember do after they shoot De Niro. I just don't see that going very far.

20. Kyriakos

There was that Frazer guy, and iirc Roseanne. And two russians, but i think one was killed by the other one (who also killed Deniro).
    And there was a hot greek woman too, who later on was part of a crime US tv show.