The Role Playing Game Thread: Shiny Dice Roll Better!

What is an enginseer? What degree is required to get into that field?
You learn the rituals to entice the Machine Spirits to obey the will of the God-Emperor.
https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Adeptus_Mechanicus

In Warhammer 40K, the Imperium of Man has massively regressed in scientific terms, and the remaining bits of technology are worshipped as holy, overseen by the Enginseers and Techpriests of the Adeptus Mechanicus. What you and I would call operating instructions and control inputs, they call Holy Texts and Sacred Rituals. What we call repair, they call offerings to the Machine Spirits as repair work is done with candles and incense while Techpriests chant the worship of the Emperor and their god, the Omnissiah.

Do they literally repair stuff with candles and incense or is that just for theater?

Honestly couldn't care less about Warhammer but these are very nicely done. Good job! The detail work is next level dude.

My only comment would be to make the fur a different hue than the breastplate/gun/holster. The grey all sort of blends together, and I can imagine it is more pronounced viewed from a distance. (Isn't it also the same hue of grey as the unpainted plastic? Or are you guys using pewter now?)
Aren't the Valhallans supposed to be inspired by Tsarist Russia? Perhaps in the future use a dark brown, like bear fur, to offset against the grey of the breastplate/gun/holster.

Did you double-up on the creases intentionally or did the paint just naturally pool in them? Either way, it adds some shading which looks great.

Did you double-up on the creases intentionally or did the paint just naturally pool in them? Either way, it adds some shading which looks great.

I think he used a wash.

It's a technique I suck at, he is a lot better than me.

My efforts by comparison.

IMG_20191113_221037.jpg

Unfinished gonna do some detailing but more or less done.

I'm kinda new at it. Painted as a kid but lacked the right paint.

As Zardnaar said, I used a wash. It's an extremely thin paint specifically meant for shading and to bring out details.

Since he is an official character, I tried to keep the painting as close to the official artwork on him as possible. I'll be using a different color scheme for the Valhallan infantry I got to go with him. It's going to be more greens and whites in their uniforms since those are favored colors for Valhallan infantry.

The Valhallan models are pewter since they are from an older discontinued line of models. Games Workshop brought them back for a limited time though so I had to snatch some up since the Valhallans are tied for first as my favorite Imperial Guard regiment, the other being the Mordian Iron Guard.

They are more inspired by WW2 Soviet Russia. You'll see that once I get around to showing off their infantry. It's the Vostroyans that are inspired by Tsarist Russia.

@Zardnaar : Looks good. Those wings especially look good and is something I don't think I could pull off yet. I might have to come to you for some tips when helping my daughter paint her army. She said she wants to start a Tzeentch demon army and those demons tend to have lots of wings. She doesn't know it, but I bought a starter box for her as a birthday gift.

Yeah just got my first wash by mistake a few months ago.

IMG_20191113_221104.jpg

It's supposed to be a D&D Aasimar which is a human with celestial/angel blood.

Asked my wife how she wanted it painted.

Attachments

• IMG_20191116_140604.jpg
    IMG_20191116_140604.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 125
An aasimar, with wings? That's unusual.

Huh. Thanks.

I used to do RPing back in the day. But one thing I newer understood is why people gravitate toward systems like D&D with super constricting rules and lots of dice rolls for everything. Like, to me all a system does is constrain my creativity and force me to play the system rather than having fun. And the more constricting the system the worse it gets.

And D&D in particular is easily the least fun system I ever tried. It works surprisingly well for video games though. Mostly because there you already have the expectation of being heavily railroaded and you don't really invest into creating or roleplaying your character as much as following along with the story as written by someone else.

But overall to me the best test for a system is as follows: Pick a handful random characters from mythology, history, art or even real life and try to make them in that system using only the rules available for reasonable level PC's. I've yet to find a system that passes. But some fail harder than others. And D&D easily fails the worst with it's class system that forces you into one trick pony molds.

Last edited:
I used to do RPing back in the day. But one thing I newer understood is why people gravitate toward systems like D&D with super constricting rules and lots of dice rolls for everything. Like, to me all a system does is constrain my creativity and force me to play the system rather than having fun. And the more constricting the system the worse it gets.

And D&D in particular is easily the least fun system I ever tried. It works surprisingly well for video games though. Mostly because there you already have the expectation of being heavily railroaded and you don't really invest into creating or roleplaying your character as much as following along with the story as written by someone else.

But overall to me the best test for a system is as follows: Pick a handful random characters from mythology, history, art or even real life and try to make them in that system using only the rules available for reasonable level PC's. I've yet to find a system that passes. But some fail harder than others. And D&D easily fails the worst with it's class system that forces you into one trick pony molds.

D&D is it's it' thing now. It's good at being D&D, bad for everything else.

Everything else doesn't really have a playerbase though. No point having a better system if you can't play it or get players.

Also in the playtest of 250k most casuals don't really care about rules except if they're complicated or not.

Personally I don't like rule systems in general. All they do is constrain you and ruin the fun. But D&D is the worst by far. The others though aren't that much better for me. Really, what I like about roleplaying is creativity. And all systems do is constrain and ruin that turning what should be a creative writing exercise into a mechanical grind fest.

The only reason why I even posted here is because the thread brought back memories from back in the day. You see, I used to have a decent group of people online for freeform play (no rules, just creative writing with the understanding nobody will godmod too much). But they all went their separate ways and I have failed to find a single game since. And it's been almost a decade since I had a good game. :(

And to rub salt in the wound every site I look at all people are playing is D&D. Makes me want to scream.

Personally I don't like rule systems in general. All they do is constrain you and ruin the fun. But D&D is the worst by far. The others though aren't that much better for me. Really, what I like about roleplaying is creativity. And all systems do is constrain and ruin that turning what should be a creative writing exercise into a mechanical grind fest.

The only reason why I even posted here is because the thread brought back memories from back in the day. You see, I used to have a decent group of people online for freeform play (no rules, just creative writing with the understanding nobody will godmod too much). But they all went their separate ways and I have failed to find a single game since. And it's been almost a decade since I had a good game. :(

And to rub salt in the wound every site I look at all people are playing is D&D. Makes me want to scream.

You come across as hating D&D because it's popular.
. Alot of the smaller RPGs only exist online.

I've never been a fan of D&D.
There are some games that are much more focused on storytelling. Anything by White Wolf like Vampire the Masquerade or by Chaosium like HeroQuest or Pendragon.
They still have rules but less restrictive than D&D. Much smaller playerbases though.

I've never been a fan of D&D.
There are some games that are much more focused on storytelling. Anything by White Wolf like Vampire the Masquerade or by Chaosium like HeroQuest or Pendragon.
They still have rules but less restrictive than D&D. Much smaller playerbases though.

Tried vampire years ago. Thought it sucked ass.

You ever try Mythender? (Free PDF)
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/110779/Mythender-Roleplaying-Game
I never played it, but essentially it is a stat-less system where you describe aspects and qualities to your character, and then use that to kill gods. I've heard it is fun for a couple of one-offs.

Top Bottom