The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron II AAR

Hello all, I was delighted to be offered a position on the most powerful nations defence council. I will give my life to defend Britain and her colonies from all those who threaten her, but hopefully it won't come to that. ;)
The signing of the Anti-Comintern Pact by the three nationalist nations should be seen as good news for Britain as it will mean that the reds will think twice before entering western Europe. I have personally met Hitler and I can assure you that he is perfectly harmless. He only wishes to gain that which was rightfully German land while staving off Communism. Britain's fleets are the strongest in the world and can only go up. Our ground forces are some of the best trained, and these armored vehicles everyone has begun to build are just a harmless fad. More break down then are disabled. It will be our navy and our infantry that will carry the day for the great British Empire. Let us hope that in the next year will see even greater growth of our economy and our forces.

Well I'm fully in favour of re-armament, but couldn't it go any faster?

My route to work is clogged up with the unemployed, and what a terrible eyesore they are for the view from my office window- they'd look much smarter in uniform, or in an armament factory... away from my office

Also like to add that from my brief stint in the desert I learnt that mobile warfare is more efficient and is over much quicker, and there's nothing I hate more than an inconclusive confict that just won't end

Mind you, that was in the desert- the thought of somebody achieving it in western Europe, particularly the Ardennes is simply laughable!!!

What is this war you speak of in the desert involving armor? From the recent military report it seems only Russia, France, and Germany possess any armor and intelligence reports say that they are stationed in their homeland.

Memo to the Prime Minister and all department heads:

Gentlemen, with the signing of the anti-comintern pact between 3 of the most aggressive nations on the planet, I belive that we have to regard them as the most likely threat to the safety of the Empire.

I believe we must formulate a clear military strategy to pursue if and when one of them triggers a major war. I'm sure all of my collegues have thier own suggestions. Personally, I favor a defensive troop build-up in France along with heavy fortification of Egypt and Singapor.

In the meantime, however, we must accelerate rearmement and secure further international support.

Thank you,
God Save the King.

Agreed! I would reccomend that the Prime Minister take these points into consideration!

We must keep our eye on the Japanese - they have alot to gain by attacking us in the Pacific. Italy is not currently capable of playing more than a supporting role in a major conflict, and Mr. Hitler of Germany appears to have his sights set firmly on Soviet Russia, not Western Europe. Therefore, as Chief of the Navy, I believe that we must keep up our research into naval technologies for a potential clash with Japan. Looks like we could also do with expanding the size of our ground forces and airforce.

Also, Kan, I just noticed - 'The Impossible Planet'? Seems we have a bit of a theme emerging...:mischief:

What is this war you speak of in the desert involving armor? From the recent military report it seems only Russia, France, and Germany possess any armor and intelligence reports say that they are stationed in their homeland.

Well I'm thinking more of maneuverability of those camels... then again it was against the Ottomans, what did they know?

Well I'm thinking more of maneuverability of those camels... then again it was against the Ottomans, what did they know?

True enough.

I also am forced to agree with Darth that Japan may look to our Pacific holdings. All the more reason to strengthen our navy.

Perhaps in addition to simply expanding our armed forces, we should look into modernising them. What good are untrained men on the front against anything more than old women and the infirm? I suggested we begin moves away from a drafted army and centuries of tradition and more towards a standing army, one who fights for the love of one's country and fellow man rather than one fighting because they are made to. Tradition almost cost the Crimean War and the Great War, it must be time to review our policies

And what good is having a beautiful garden if the house is in disrepair? Concentrating on the Navy to defend some far flung hovel of the British Empire while the Army back home wastes away in the face of Barbarians at the gates seems unwise. Perhaps it would be best to concentrate on the army and airforce for defence at home first whilst developing naval technology and then, when we have a force for our foes to fear, then we can produce the right honourable Darth's pretty boats. If we make them now, they will not have the range, nor the firepower to fully defend our holdings in Asia.

I do not believe our Far Eastern provinces are at risk at present. Yes the Japanese have a powerful navy but their army is currently afirming their positionion in their Korean and North China territories, only when they take to sea should we be worried. Japan is not the power everyone fears. They are strong yes, but slow to act on anything.

But we do not need an army on British soil if our enemy cannot reach it.

(By the way I actually dislike navies in most games and I'm usually for tanks, and lots of them, also the airforce. I'm just trying to look like the old council member who doesn't like to fix what isn't broken.)

Right, back to Newsnight and the Jeremy Paxman's that you all are.

Gentlemen, with the signing of the anti-comintern pact between 3 of the most aggressive nations on the planet, I belive that we have to regard them as the most likely threat to the safety of the Empire.

I would agree, if not for the fact they are dedicating themselves against another of our main threats. This does not appear to be an alliance, but an agreement to curb communist interference.

It is, of course, a worrying development that it happens to be three of our other main threats that happen to be aligning themselves with each other.

I believe we must formulate a clear military strategy to pursue if and when one of them triggers a major war. I'm sure all of my collegues have thier own suggestions.

I quite agree, and enjoy input from all branches of the British Armed Forces.

Our ground forces are some of the best trained, and these armored vehicles everyone has begun to build are just a harmless fad. More break down then are disabled. It will be our navy and our infantry that will carry the day for the great British Empire. Let us hope that in the next year will see even greater growth of our economy and our forces.

I will disagree on the armoured matter. In my opinion mechanised forces are the future, though obviously with the strong backbone that is the infantry.

And I assure you, this year will definitely see that growth you wish for. The expansion has only just begun.

Well I'm fully in favour of re-armament, but couldn't it go any faster?

If it could, it would.

My route to work is clogged up with the unemployed, and what a terrible eyesore they are for the view from my office window- they'd look much smarter in uniform, or in an armament factory... away from my office

I must protest!

We've come through a very difficult time, and we're only just seeing the beginning of a new age for Britain. However, the recent expansion in the industrial sector, as well as the increasing demand for workmen at shipyards and manpower for the new infantry divisions has seen a definite increase in employment rates. They are on the rise, as is the economy as a whole!

Also like to add that from my brief stint in the desert I learnt that mobile warfare is more efficient and is over much quicker, and there's nothing I hate more than an inconclusive confict that just won't end

Ah excellent, I knew that taxpayers money was well spent!

We must keep our eye on the Japanese - they have alot to gain by attacking us in the Pacific. Italy is not currently capable of playing more than a supporting role in a major conflict, and Mr. Hitler of Germany appears to have his sights set firmly on Soviet Russia, not Western Europe.

While Russia is clearly on Mr. Hitler's agenda, I would feel it's safe to wager he is also focusing on German-populated areas outside of Germany itself. Again though, he is a powerful trading partner.

Therefore, as Chief of the Navy, I believe that we must keep up our research into naval technologies for a potential clash with Japan. Looks like we could also do with expanding the size of our ground forces and airforce.

I quite agree, and I trust you're happy with the amount of spending the Navy is receiving? Please note that we are always researching into new naval doctrines/ship types, and that it is only through you we have approved the commissioning of two new aircraft carriers.

OOC: I genuinely am putting more effort into the navy than I would do normally. Given my trust in PrinceScamp and his Airforce paid off so well in Written by the Victors, it appears to be your turn now ;)

Also, Kan, I just noticed - 'The Impossible Planet'? Seems we have a bit of a theme emerging...:mischief:

My intention is to write an AAR for each of the main powers of HoI. Given that it's going to be bloody difficult to come up with original chapter names for each one (The Road to War has been done to death in every history book I've ever read!), I'm gonna need to use other sources!

But well spotted again :D

Perhaps in addition to simply expanding our armed forces, we should look into modernising them. What good are untrained men on the front against anything more than old women and the infirm? I suggested we begin moves away from a drafted army and centuries of tradition and more towards a standing army, one who fights for the love of one's country and fellow man rather than one fighting because they are made to. Tradition almost cost the Crimean War and the Great War, it must be time to review our policies

This is going to be difficult to get the public to agree to. Bear in mind that the permanent commissioning of six new infantry divisions was difficult enough to pass, without drawing the ire of our democratic principles!

The upgrading of our existing forces is an excellent point, and too few resources are going into it, at my own admission. What use indeed are even well-trained soldiers going into war with outdated rifles?

Perhaps it would be best to concentrate on the army and airforce for defence at home first whilst developing naval technology and then, when we have a force for our foes to fear, then we can produce the right honourable Darth's pretty boats. If we make them now, they will not have the range, nor the firepower to fully defend our holdings in Asia.

"The Army is a missile fired by the Royal Navy," or something like that. I agree with you.

I do not believe our Far Eastern provinces are at risk at present. Yes the Japanese have a powerful navy but their army is currently afirming their positionion in their Korean and North China territories, only when they take to sea should we be worried. Japan is not the power everyone fears. They are strong yes, but slow to act on anything.

Their relatively recent acquisition of Manchuria would attest to this theory.

(By the way I actually dislike navies in most games and I'm usually for tanks, and lots of them, also the airforce. I'm just trying to look like the old council member who doesn't like to fix what isn't broken.)

(I actually agree, and generally stick to land-based powers in HoI. However, one of my two main reasons to write an AAR is to develop new skills and abilities, based on the suggestions of the participating posters :) )

Oh god, when did Britain start doing that Christmas speech by the Queen? I don't have to do one for the King in this world, do I?

Merry Christmas all, I may even try for a Christmas update, though I do have more important matters at hand. Doctor Who Christmas Special and all that :p

Merry Christmas all, I may even try for a Christmas update, though I do have more important matters at hand. Doctor Who Christmas Special and all that :p

:eek: I doubt it would happen but I would love to see a Dalek Caroling

A Message from the King to all of His Royal Subjects:

Old Kingy-Breeches said:
Dear British Peeps: Toss off. I've gone to live with my Mistress. Leave me alone! Why-*sound of record skipping*

*coughcough* Erm...how did that record slip in there? Very sorry, very sorry...now, HERE is the Message from His Majesty!

TheRealKingShady said:
My loyal and most profound People, I can only give you all my most heartfelt well-wishes this Holiday Season, as you snuggle up by your fires stocked with the finest British coal and trees from only the most qualitative British foresters. As We celebrate this most important of remembrances here at the Palace, We hope that you will not forget the Higher portion of Us as well.

Today is commonly held to be the birthday of our Risen Christ, who is Our Guiding Light and should be yours as well. In these times of renewed prosperity, as all of us claw our way from the depths of poverty, we should not forget that in this world there are forces openly hostile to Our Savior. People who yearn with all their might to return to His Golden Light, but who cannot because certain political elements have taken Grace from them. They have replaced this, in the best of cases, with false gods and Pagan rites in an attempt to rekindle nationalism, and in the worst of cases with absolutely nothing at all. From Europe to Asia, God's Light is teetering on the brink of oblivion, just as we ourselves face a contest of our very own national survival.

In this struggle we cannot afford sloth. Christ wishes us all to he His Instruments in this world, to do His Divine Will and spread His Message back into the dusty corners of the globe that have shirked Him. He will not do it Himself, for he is Lord, and he could sweep it away with the merest thought. We must do it for Him if it is to be of any value at all, for we are all of us human, fragile, fallible and weak in our flesh. We must continue to sacrifice for our cause, both in spirit and in nation. But this sacrifice need not be begrudged, for the burden shall test our mettle and prove us right in the end.

We, the inhabitants of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, are the premier folk of the world. The world still looks to us first and foremost. This is a great responsibility, and also a great opportunity to spread peace and prosperity throughout the land, to share our vision of the world as a place free of tyranny and hopelessness. For this Christmas, as you commune with your family and bask in the Light of Christ, do not forget that there are people without that great mercy that live right in our own backyard....

And so on, and so forth, etc. Merry Xmas!

Hey posting on Christmas cause I have nothing else to do aside from spending time conversing with relatives and family. Hope nobody choked on the Christmas Turkey. Cheers. :)

Fantastic speech, Riptide :goodjob:

Good read. Keep it going. :goodjob:

If a mod requests an AAR to continue, is it forum rules I must update immediately?

The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron AAR
Part Six

28th February - 13th July, 1937

Interestingly, despite the recent regeneration of Britain’s economy, several countries saw fit to openly challenge the Empire’s authority, if not through direct negotiations then then certainly through a show of force. The Republic of Ireland demanded the territories of Belfast and Ulster, while Italy began multiplying her troop numbers along the Libyan-Egypt borders in northern Africa.

Ireland’s demands were rejected almost flippantly. They could hardly hope to threaten Britain for the northern territories, regardless of the fact that the provinces were completely undefended. It was hardly going to be the end of the situation, though.

Italy was a different matter altogether. Already identified as a major threat against British interests - particularly in the Mediterranean, her mass build-up of troops meant that the new British infantry divisions - consisting of the 4th and 6th Infantry, the 12th Eastern Infantry and the 9th Highland Division (the latter commissioned in a special ceremony by Steviejay) - were deployed to Egypt almost as soon as they were formally commissioned in February and May. The Italians held the distinct advantage in numbers however, though it was generally accepted that British troops were far better trained.

The Libya-Egypt front, mid February.

General PrinceScamp of the Egyptian Army was publicly delighted with finally receiving, well, an army to command. Privately however, particularly with his communications with Parliament, it was clear that he felt it wasn’t enough, and many of the politicians agreed. There was serious talk of shifting several divisions from India to bolster the Egyptian region. Such a debate was delayed by a speech by the Prime Minister, who continued to urge others to use patience in dealing with the Italians, though it was quite clear his own was near breaking point:

If they [the Italians] wish to attack us, then attack us! If they wish to demand concessions from us, then demand it! If they wish to provoke us however, then they will not succeed by pushing a mass of antiquated units towards us in an obvious attempt to threaten us into making the first move. This is Britain, and we are neither rash nor vulgar enough to deal in such ways. Begin talks, begin negotiations, begin working towards mutual co-operation and friendship, or begin the long journey to their own doom…
Excerpt of Prime Minister Sharuminar’s speech to the House of Commons, 5th March 1937

Overdramatic perhaps, but it delayed discussions on increasing the militarization of Egypt for several more months.

British defence was not merely restricted to the provinces in Africa. Research and development were quickly working their way into developing promising new prototype weapons for the nation - the Vickers Mark VI Light Tank, new aircraft doctrines and, interestingly, a grant for companies to begin research into self-propelled rockets. But probably most importantly (certainly most visible) was the creation of the ‘Home Chain’ radar systems along the English southern coast. Between the 17th January 1937 and 29th April 1938, they would be expanded to provide an excellent early-warning system for the Royal Air Force in the event of an airborne invasion.

This was particularly handy as, sadly, the Spanish Civil War came to a decisive end in April of 1937. Driven south to Seville and Malaga, the Republicans put up a brave fight as they attempted to hold off superior Nationalist numbers. Seville fell quickly in early April, but a quick retreat brought hope that Malaga itself could hold off an assault with the 8 Republican divisions there. It didn’t - despite holding off a small assault designed to probe their defences, the last of the Republican armies were forced into disband after a final massive assault into the province by the Nationalists. The war was over, with a now hostile (though severely weakened) Spain threatening Britain’s territories in the south.

The last battle of the Spanish Civil War.

For Germany and Italy however, the victory of the Nationalists was a propaganda dream come true. Their volunteer forces, victorious, returned home to rapturous acclaim.

It was doubtful that the Nationalist victory in Spain had any effect on the ongoing war in China, but the KMT forces there certainly began a massive counter-offensive against the Communist faction in the north. Now free of resistance in the south, they were quite happy to bring all forces to bear on the hostile faction to the north. Initially it went well, with the KMT managing a successful offensive into the centre of the Communist territories. However, the fight was interrupted by a slight incident at the Marco Polo Bridge…

War in the Far East

With this, the British government could relax slightly. Japan had finally made her move, so long coming, against a definate enemy. Most importantly, it was against a nation that could potentially bog Japan down into a massive war of attrition indefinitely, and hopefully permanently away from the holdings and colonies of Britain and her allies…

The situation in China at the time of the Japanese declaration of war.

I believe Minister Subi is well versed in Chinese current affairs. As such he will be sent to get a better understanding of the situation.

Top Bottom