The Sword of Osman

OK Ms. W',

I think that you may as well start this one, and FiveRings can take it on the weekend. We'll keep an invitation open for anyone willing to join the roster, but if it's just us, then that's fine too.

Your call on what to do with the Warrior. I think SIP is our best bet, but if you want to move the Warrior to the south-east for confirmation - that's OK. Otherwise, I'd head for the hut.

I would go Worker, and Hunting and Pottery. FiveRings suggests after them; An. Hus. > Mining > Bronze, but I'd be more inclined to skip Animal Husbandry for a bit and get more quickly to Slavery and chopping. Proceed however as you see fit.

Try to protect the Warrior while scouting, and do an arc around our city looking for good future settlement sites (maybe look along the western river due to :traderoute: connection. Sorry if that sounds obvious, but I've seen some pretty peculiar scouting decisions in my days.

Stop at any point during your 30 turn set if you feel you need clarification. Play it out if you don't. Best of luck! :)

Alright Gents.

I've downloaded the save and will try and play this weekend. Should have a turn report up by Sunday. Also, since this is the 2nd SG I'm involved in, EVER(!) please don't hesitate with instructions etc. I've been lurking for a long time and decided to get involved in SG's because my single gameplay kinda stagnated so all input is welcome.

T1 - SIP and found Istanbul

T2 - Start Worker, tech Hunt

T5 - Pop hut for map...Greeks are to our SE.

T6 - Borders pop. Get another map from hut :mad: Hunting comes in, tech Mining. Also find coast and desert to our south.

T7 - Move and see some stone in the desert... (behind the peak you can't see in SS)

We Meet Rammy T9, he scouted us from the NW with an archer

T11 - Worker finally done, set warrior. Worker starts camping those phants.

Scouting shows LOADS of Jungle to our West.

Mining in> BW.

T15 - Meet Salladin, also from our NW.

Ivory hooked up and am now roading to farm the corn. Set Instanbul to grow a little.

T20 - Ista grows size2, working phants again. Hmm, nice rocky marbles to the NE of Ista.

T22 - Budd FIDL and Sal converts. and Warrior finishes. Queue Warrior>settler.

On a final note, there is a really nice-looking spot (crummy SS, sorry) which has marble, cows lake hills etc:

And some nice spots to the West which we will need to grab quickly before Rammy and Sal take it.

BW came in, I placed AH as a placeholder and I think we should finish it before we do pottery.

The blue is the Greeks and the yellow the Egyptians; nice and close for a early rush (maybe).

Attachments

• Osman BC-3000.CivWarlordsSave
    66.5 KB · Views: 54
Thanks for the report! :) I'm actually not too upset with getting those maps - it'll help our planning a lot.

Not just Greece and Egypt nearby it seems;

(a.) Please explain the interest in Animal Husbandry. We have no Pigs, Sheep, or Cows, and we have Copper just up river if it's the Horses you're referring to.

(b.) As soon as that Settler's built, I think that we should swap into Slavery.

(c.) We should use those two Warriors in Istanbul. We won't be attacked by Barbs or an AI tribe, and they can (anti-Barbarian) spawnbust the path to our next city ...

(d.) I can see only one city site from a strategic perspective. Unfortunately it isn't too great from a food-resource perspective (unless there's Bananas under the fog?).

A) Horses, I like them. IRL and inGame :)
EDIT: But, Cam, you are right. AH brand new so it can be switched by the next player, no beakers invested

B) Agreed. Didn't want to revolt before say-so from everyone.

C) Ok

D) West gold copper dyes with fresh water, hills and fp/gp is what i was specifically referring to. We can farm it up and the gold helps Swegadon Paya (one of my fav wonders)

A) Horses, I like them. IRL and inGame :)

That's nice. :)

Unfortunately - I just don't see the value in pursuing this tech' for a 'crap shoot' that Horses will turn up nearby. Also, as noted before, Greece's Phalanx units are pretty potent at ripping Horseback units apart, so we'd have to hope that he doesn't have metal, or we can pillage his metal Mine(s) before he can get too many of these Phalanx units built if we were to go down that path.

Pottery's going to be useful for whip regrowth and cottages, Mysticism is our first step toward The Oracle > Theology proposal that Bob put forward and also lets our next cities get border pops through Monuments (which I assume that we'll want for some), while Iron Working could pop Iron (just as An. Hus. could pop Horses) but it lets us clear away Jungle, noting that there's quite a lot of that around us.

D) West gold copper dyes with fresh water, hills and fp/gp is what i was specifically referring to. We can farm it up and the gold helps Swegadon Paya (one of my fav wonders)

Shwedagon Paya is a BTS WoW. ;)

OK ... that city is on the face of it is quite nice. Some of the downside is that it needs a border pop (presume a Monument) before it can work the good tiles, and Worker turns after the border pop to then build a Mine. It also isn't particularly food rich ... but that is a big problem for this map generally by the looks, with very few food resources in sight. Indeed taking an early capital seems even more appealing in light of this food problem, as capitals are notoriously food rich.

[Edit]

One site I like is;

The Copper is in the first ring, and riverside with 'both' cities, meaning it just needs to be mined. In the longer term it has quite a number of Hills and Grassland, as well as that Sugar, making it arguably a quite good unit pump. The fact it's on a Hill will give us a little protection if the city does get attacked (could happen given Mongolia's very close proximity).

Admittedly this will prevent the Gold-Dye-Dye-Copper city from being founded due to the two-tile rule.

[/Edit]

I'm actually curious though why it's one of your favourites. Early Pacifism or Early Free Religion?

I'm actually curious though why you like it.

I tend to play a religious game, Lower line/half of tech tree. SwegP opens all relig civics. That's all really.

Like I said, lurking alone has not really helped my gameplay lately so that is why I decided to actually start participating.

Actually I'm a shocker for shooting up the top line with perhaps less regard for the other tech's than I probably should; Literacy, Music, etc.

... these tech's (notably Aesthetics) are typically good trade chips to pick up Iron Working and that sort of thing.

I rarely adopt a State Religion unless it's quite safe to do so diplomatically, which therefore usually nerfs the value of Shwedagon Paya for me.

Hi W, Cam!
Well, good to be at my own computer! (I have actually tried to make another post from Constanta, but it didn't work that time, tried to clarify the changing personalities feature - haven't come across this yet - and to rectify the mistake in my previous post regarding alternative settlement - what I had in mind was the possibility to settle on the ivory 1E - if there is another food S-SE, which is already not an issue any more.)
Let me summarize where we are right now:
* Istanbul at size 2, 2 improved city plots (wheat, not roaded still; and ivory), additional resource-endowed plots in the fat cross: 2 more ivories, on the river, and 3 sugars, also on the river so can be farmed before calendar if appropriate (I usually do this to speed up growth but this will be done if we all agree this is a good idea, and if this is still a feasible idea later on (guess not that much if we go cottageing first), some open shore for speedy cottageing, some forestswhich could be used for Oracle and, arguably, grannary, but also axes if urgently needed (I am no comp-wizz, so still can't find how I can be in the game and have another screen opened where to write my notes, so, any help with this would be most appreciated!)
* a worker on the farmed corn waiting for the order to road it, as I presume, and to further work the ivories - at least before pottery (with the settler being built, there is currently no much need to lose turns to go to the sugar just to improve its food output) I also assume that we won't cottage the sugar and lose the opportunity to get rum out of it!
*three warriors - one to the NNW, and two in Ista. There seems to be an agreement to send both Ista warriors to bust the fog and it looks tha we have three priority directions to do so: NW to the Gold Region to see potential hidden resources, SW to see what is between us and the Khan, and SE to see what is between us and Alex. The NNW warrior might go East to pop the hut there, if it hasn't been popped by somebody else in the meantime, or to move furter North (there is a curious piece of road without a culture's space, just 1N of the Egyptian Archer. As it is too early for the Barbs to engage in infrastructure building, my guess would be that somebody is round there (Saladin?) trying to expand into our direction, but has met a (temporary?) setback...for now...
*production: Settler (11 turns to go)
*tech: AH (not started yet, seems there's an agreement to go pottery>mysticism, instead, with further beelining to priesthood and theology to get to the DR. There is also the IW idea thrown in, but it is not a necessity till we are deprived from the copper, the jungle is not - as of yet - a problem, although it does take some time to learn the IW

Now the propesed actions (actually a synthesisi of the above) for the next 20 turns:
* change AH to Pottery>Myst>Priest beeline (Oracle seems preferable to IW as Ramesses is moving fast on GDP)
* finish settler>granary to speed growth / warrior to have some defences round Ista (I usually prefer growth till I see a Barb close by, the road to the North might point to it beeng not far away, but for the time being we have the Egyptian Archer to garrison in our stead in that region, as of now), so I am going to produce the grannary if you don't think it is useless time and resource spent, besides we might be able to have axes short upon the settler's appearance (one more possibility is to go for a second worker, and I kind of like this, but am afraid that Ista will remain too small to take advantage of whipping anytime soon.
*Revolt to Slavery upon emergence of the settler (hope I don't forget this, I am usually somewhat lousy with the civics)
*move the NNW warrior to pop the hut (what if Barbs come out? you wanna take the risk, or you prefer not to? the Eg. Arch can do it anyway...), then South- Southeast towards Alex, move one Ista warrior to the Gold Region to see more of the tiles there and bust the fog, move the other Ista warrior to SW towards the Khan to bust the fog and find resources there.

Cam, why are you so sure we won't have Barbs soon: is it the settings, or the number of turns (I usually do get some Barbs around the 50-sh turn)? And what are these changing personalities?
I have read what I need to do to have screenshots, and will try to not disappoint you, although I am a bit worried about the using of the image program and fiddling with the images - if I take them, of course.

I will play in about 9 hours from now, so will be wating for your comments, changes in the proposed way to go, etc. for 8 hours or so. If you think it's better to postpone for some more time to get something cleared up or agreed upon, that's OK with me, of course: it's me the one to mostly learn from the game, judging from your posted comments; I just dont want to disappoint the expectations already expressed by our mighty leader! ;)

We'll get Barbarian animals for a while, but they won't enter our borders (Bears, Wolves, Panthers, and Lions never enter cultural borders). Even Barb' Warriors take a bit of time 'to be so bold' on Monarch level.

Random personalities: Almost invariably "Montezuma won't be Montezuma" "Gandhi won't be Gandhi" etc. ... the game assigns random personalities to all AI leaders, so we don't know who's who ... however the traits, starting tech's, unique buildings, and unique units still hold true, therefore whoever 'Ramesses II' may actually be; still starts with Industrialist and Spiritual traits, The Wheel and Agriculture as starting tech's, The Obilisk as a UB, and the War Chariot as a UU. We will pick up clues as we adopt advanced civics and adopt a religion given + and - modifiers (e.g: "You have wisely chosen civics", "We care for the brothers and sisters of the faith", "We are upset that you have fallen under the sway of a heathen religion", etc.) . Also, if a tribe DoWs (Declaration of War) another at an early stage, then we can deduce that they're probably a warmonger and the attitude of other leaders toward the warmonger may give a clue on where each stands on the Mad Monty <<>> Compassionate Gandhi spectrum.

b.t.w. ... I already think this game is won. ;)

Osman? Do you mean "I am the mighty Leon!" Osman?

Yes... it's how Everton eventually 'owned' the world. Cool - no?

Actually.. PS ... while you're here ... sign up?

*I just dont want to disappoint the expectations already expressed by our mighty leader! ;)

No need to worry ... if you do anything against my will I'll just publicly berate you until you're in tears. (That's a joke btw)

Happy for Istanbul to build a military unit after the Settler ... indeed it will be building a %$#@load of military units after the Settler.

We'll get Barbarian animals for a while, but they won't enter our borders (Bears, Wolves, Panthers, and Lions never enter cultural borders). Even Barb' Warriors take a bit of time 'to be so bold' on Monarch level.

Random personalities: Almost invariably "Montezuma won't be Montezuma" "Gandhi won't be Gandhi" etc. ... the game assigns random personalities to all AI leaders, so we don't know who's who ... however the traits, starting tech's, unique buildings, and unique units still hold true, therefore whoever 'Ramesses II' may actually be; still starts with Industrialist and Spiritual traits, The Wheel and Agriculture as starting tech's, The Obilisk as a UB, and the War Chariot as a UU. We will pick up clues as we adopt advanced civics and adopt a religion given + and - modifiers (e.g: "You have wisely chosen civics", "We care for the brothers and sisters of the faith", "We are upset that you have fallen under the sway of a heathen religion", etc.) . Also, if a tribe DoWs (Declaration of War) another at an early stage, then we can deduce that they're probably a warmonger and the attitude of other leaders toward the warmonger may give a clue on where each stands on the Mad Monty <<>> Compassionate Gandhi spectrum.

b.t.w. ... I already think this game is won. ;)

Thanks, Cam! I seem to understand: pretty many chisophrenics all around the only sensible, sensitive and sensational ruler in the Pangaea ...

Yeah, I don't mind pulling off this game in our close circle in Topcapi, but the more, the merrier, I guess. I myself feel uneasy and apprehensive only with regard to my own playing at the adequate level, but, hey, I did say that I am constantly thrashed on Monarch, didn't I!?:blush: So anybody wanting to join, please, please! My head might not be the first one to roll off then!!;)

OK, Cam, I'll be pushing up those warriors till I drop dead!!

Alright, if you need more players I will sign up.

PM me for email address if you need that.

Might be worth PMing me when it's my turn as well ;)

No - don't fret ... the three four of us are going to own the AI ... really ... believe me ... you can't believe how that Copper tile will change our fortunes. :)

ParadigmShifter, you're in! You're after FiveRings ... I'll go after Madam Whoop! :)

OK, I thought I might give you a glimpse of what you might come across playing in the same team with me: attached is my prince game on Pangaea as – randomly chosen – Asoka. I was decared to by Shaka about ten turns ago, and by Alex about two turns ago. Please, note that we are all followers of Jehova – thank you for the settings in this game, Cam!

Attachments

• Prince I AD-0450, Asoka.CivWarlordsSave
    322.4 KB · Views: 52
Top Bottom