1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The Sword of Osman

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Cam_H, Apr 6, 2011.

1. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

I'll play tonight, off to work soon.

I've been getting drunk and following the football in the last few days.

2. Cam_H

Cam_H Chieftain

Work! Always getting in the way of the important things!

Well, I can understand that. Don't 'drink and Civ' ... you end up making even more :smoke: moves than usual! (at least I do).

3. FiveRings

FiveRings Chieftain

I am in for the rush. I have planned it exactly the same way as Cam, but in a more confused manner. I would add only that the Khan seems to have capital+, so we might need 10 axes+3 spears (one for our own copper mine, if we don't calculate the whole thing so well that we might whip a spear in Ed if and when necessary).

I have started to calculate what it will take in matter of turns, but very good that I didn't go forth writing it down; and that was just because it was too anoying to write a reply while not having the map before my eyes, especially when trying to remember how many forests we have by Ista (three, iirc, and four more to be added when culture pops).

With all the micromanaging that I try to do, I have never noticed that the lower the hammers are the more of them comes as a gift from heaven, so counterintuitive, Sid, or whoever!

Thanks for the video, Cam, nice voice indeed and very well produced for a first (I wouldn't be able to, if I knew how to do it!)

Now, if PS decides he's not supporting the rush, the the weaker link, that's me!!, would prefer to leave it at a tie and give an ear to some more reasoning about Egypt.

I will just throw in that we can easier cut off the Khan in his corner, than Ram, on the other hand, one more city in the Golden Region would help us also close upon Ram in the future.

I started to count the turns because it seems to me that we won't be able to both build the Oracle and do the rush. Or do we have a shaman in the team?!

4. woopdeedoo

woopdeedoo Chieftain

Nice vid, Cam. Love the accent, my ex is an Aussie so it brought back some memories (good ones!) :)

5. Cam_H

Cam_H Chieftain

I just reviewed the thread in full, and 'yes' you certainly did. :)

(Glad memories of the Aussie 'ex' doesn't send you into a [pissed]!)

I don't want to be complacent about The Oracle - it's a long-ish shot. I think that we can whip or chop out a Settler / Axe duo ... maybe a Settler's our immediate build for Istanbul, and grab that spot woopdeedoo pointed out;

That city can work on a Monument and a Worker (possibly another unit), and then connect the city up to the Marble to focus on The Oracle, while the rest of the 'empire' goes back to 'Axe-mania'. In addition to Masonry, we do need to get all of those religious prerequisites though;
    • Meditation (nearly there)
    • Polytheism
    • Priesthood
    • Monotheism
    ... in order to slingshot Theology.

The big challenge I guess will be coming from Egypt (Industrious, but no visible Marble), although Saladin has picked up Meditation and Mansa or Cyrus has Polytheism, so there are two tribes that are one tech' closer to Priesthood than ourselves - although Meditation is nearly ours.

'Plan B' I guess if 'Plan A' flops is to hopefully pick up a religion or two, build Temples, and run Priests for bulbing.

6. FiveRings

FiveRings Chieftain

OK, This is perfect, and we'll definitely get a town in that place - thanks W!
    Let me just draw your attention to another possibility: 1E of the marble on the West coast. That will get us the two dyes and - later - the rice that is now the Khan's. The marble will be in the fattest cross, so we' won't need a monument. Roading it to Ed is the same as roading it to Ista, so marble plus won't be delayed. amd actually will come in fastef.
    Now, I look at this settlement in conjunction with settling also 1N of the Gold in the same region. I see it's closer to Thebes and overlaps with the latter's cross when we oust the Pharaon, but placing the city there will get us the fp for sure and the incence in the long run. Also will get us closer to Ram.
    Anyway, let's look at settling by the East marble while axe-ing to get the Khan and doing the Oracle, then settling by the Gold while axeing to get Alex. Won't it work better?:mischief:

7. FiveRings

FiveRings Chieftain

We do have a shaman in the team!!! :lol:

8. Cam_H

Cam_H Chieftain

Oh! Interesting suggestion that! Certainly worth thinking about! :)

I suspect Ramesses will settle a city around that Gold south of Thebes in not too much time, but who knows ... maybe not?

9. woopdeedoo

woopdeedoo Chieftain

I like it!!! Can we try settle those asap? I don't want the other peoples getting their grubbby paws on the two marbles. Best resource in the game, you know ;)

10. Cam_H

Cam_H Chieftain

Both??? :dubious: ;)

Marble??? I thought Whales was the best resource in the game ... oh how I miss Civ2! :lol:

11. woopdeedoo

woopdeedoo Chieftain

Why not both? Sure, we are a little shy on cash atm, but put an axe as a sentry in one of the two and tell that mofo to destroy whoever tries to get the spot!

12. Cam_H

Cam_H Chieftain

The rest of the roster might think otherwise, but ...

I'm mindful that an Axe rush is all about getting 'say' nine or ten Axes out as quickly as possible. Chops and 2-pop whips are going to be really important to this, and can move things along quite quickly.

If we aim to build one more city for the Marble > The Oracle, there's a Settler and an Axe that could have otherwise been three Axes for the Axe rush instead, but the Divine Right challenge is almost half-requiring us to do something about getting The Oracle. Two Settlers and two Axes to cover them in order to build two new cities - that's like six Axes we're not using for a rush, and that, in my view, is too expensive for us now and will put us too far behind the clock ... but 'after the storm' ... maybe?

I'm quite mindful that we want a Settler, a chaperon unit for that Settler, and really I would like another Worker for the chops around our first two cities. That's already a lot of turns to spend on units not destined to hit Mongolia / Greece / Egypt.

13. woopdeedoo

woopdeedoo Chieftain

Fair enough. Very valid point, Cam. So scratch my previous thoughts re the settlers. Let's axe up and kick some butt!!!

14. vranasm

vranasm Chieftain

ha! very nice video :).

I hope we will soon see you in action with Mary Read...

15. Cam_H

Cam_H Chieftain

I'm gearing myself up now ... ;)

16. FiveRings

FiveRings Chieftain

Well, guys, I am not sure I completely understand the oucome of your reasoning: are we going rushing, or are we going settling by a marble - and which one first?! - and starting axeing?

BTW, there's a couple of warriors to the East now, so we might not need to build another one: I guess there is little probability that a Barb will come to us from Alex's part of the world, so the Southeastern warrior can move back to Ista to cover chopping. There's one by Ed also - for that chopping.

But let's, please, clear up the grand sequence for the next dozen of turns.

And, as my English is not as good as yours, does mofo go like mofu, or there's a subtler meaning behind it?

I am glad to hear about civ2! That's where my best civ remembrances lie. The 3, and now the 4 are making me feel overwhelmed. With 2 it was easy for the simpler minds: spread as much as possible, and kick the guys that are in your way...

17. woopdeedoo

woopdeedoo Chieftain

Hehehe... Mofo = mother*badword*...

I think Axe rush is the way to go. Cam, I believe you agree?

We can settle the other spots once we have destroyed/crippled someone...

18. FiveRings

FiveRings Chieftain

I see there's a new BtS Noble GotM.

I'll try to delete again all the files and reinstall the Complete. Hopefully, it works this time, and I get a different result from wasting an hour and again getting the "not the correct CD-ROM" message, or something similar. Please, keep your fingers crossed!

And I would suggest that we go without the PS if s/he doesn't play till Monday: I feel quite guilty of disincentivizing PS, so am willing to consider this as a need to skip...

19. Cam_H

Cam_H Chieftain

My view is that; we should get out a Settler from Istanbul now, settle one of the Marbles, and we'll also need a unit to cover the Settler. Once that's done (i.e. Settler + Axe (?)), Edirne and Istanbul go into Axe mode (chops and whips), while a Marble city gets settled and starts on a Monument (if north east) then Worker, or Worker (if west). I must admit that I do prefer the north east city, but am quite comfortable to go with the western one.

I'm very tempted though to get out another Worker to help our one guy around Edirne and Istanbul.

... anyway, that's just one approach.

Paradigm Shifter must have long working hours! ;) If he doesn't appear fairly soon, then a skip might be in order.

on Civ2. I have 'only fair' computer skills, but really enjoyed the modding community and scenario development years ago.

20. FiveRings

FiveRings Chieftain

Wow, you don't only look like Baudicca :eek: :D (the one of the Celts, not sure about the spelling) ...