The True Black Tragedy: Minimum Wage

Gary Childress

Student for and of life
Found this article posted on the Philosophy Now forum. What do others here think of it?

The True Black Tragedy
Walter E. Williams | May 20, 2015

Hustlers and people with little understanding want us to believe that today's black problems are the continuing result of a legacy of slavery, poverty and racial discrimination. The fact is that most of the social pathology seen in poor black neighborhoods is entirely new in black history. Let's look at some of it.

Today the overwhelming majority of black children are raised in single female-headed families. As early as the 1880s, three-quarters of black families were two-parent. In 1925 New York City, 85 percent of black families were two-parent. One study of 19th-century slave families found that in up to three-fourths of the families, all the children had the same mother and father.

Today's black illegitimacy rate of nearly 75 percent is also entirely new. In 1940, black illegitimacy stood at 14 percent. It had risen to 25 percent by 1965, when Daniel Patrick Moynihan wrote "The Negro Family: The Case for National Action" and was widely condemned as a racist. By 1980, the black illegitimacy rate had more than doubled, to 56 percent, and it has been growing since. Both during slavery and as late as 1920, a teenage girl raising a child without a man present was rare among blacks.

Much of today's pathology seen among many blacks is an outgrowth of the welfare state that has made self-destructive behavior less costly for the individual. Having children without the benefit of marriage is less burdensome if the mother receives housing subsidies, welfare payments and food stamps. Plus, the social stigma associated with unwed motherhood has vanished. Female-headed households, whether black or white, are a ticket for dependency and all of its associated problems. Ignored in all discussions is the fact that the poverty rate among black married couples has been in single digits since 1994.

Black youth unemployment in some cities is over 50 percent. But high black youth unemployment is also new. In 1948, the unemployment rate for black teens was slightly less than that of their white counterparts -- 9.4 percent compared with 10.2. During that same period, black youths were either just as active in the labor force or more so than white youths. Since the 1960s, both the labor force participation rate and the employment rate of black youths have fallen to what they are today. Why? Are employers more racially discriminatory today than yesteryear? Were black youths of yesteryear more skilled than whites of yesteryear? The answer to both questions is a big fat no.

The minimum wage law and other labor regulations have cut off the bottom rungs of the economic ladder. Put yourself in the place of an employer, and ask: If I must pay $7.25 an hour -- plus mandated fringes, such as Social Security and workers' compensation -- would it pay me to hire a worker who is so unfortunate as to possess skills that enable him to produce only $5 worth of value per hour? Most employers view that as a losing economic proposition. Thus, the minimum wage law discriminates against the employment of low-skilled workers, who are most often youths -- particularly black youths.

The little bit of money a teenager can earn through after-school, weekend and summer employment is not nearly so important as the other things he gains from early work experiences. He acquires skills and develops good work habits, such as being prompt, following orders and respecting supervisors. In addition, there are the self-respect and pride that a youngster gains from being financially semi-independent. All of these gains from early work experiences are important for any teen but are even more important for black teens. If black teens are going to learn anything that will make them a more valuable employee in the future, they aren't going to learn it from their rotten schools, their dysfunctional families or their crime-ridden neighborhoods. They must learn it on the job.

The bulk of today's problems for many blacks are a result of politicians and civil rights organizations using government in the name of helping blacks when in fact they are serving the purposes of powerful interest groups.

http://townhall.com/columnists/walterewilliams/2015/05/20/the-true-black-tragedy-n2000459/page/full

Walter Edward Williams is an American economist, commentator, and academic. He is the John M. Olin Distinguished Professor of Economics at George Mason University, as well as a syndicated columnist and author known for his libertarian views.

https://www.google.com/#q=walter+e+williams

Is minimum wage ultimately doing more harm to all of us than good?

If you can't afford to pay $7.25 an hour for labor, you should be an employee rather than an employer because you have a failed business model. The minimum wage helps weed out such failures that are better off being managed by their betters.

So they have rotten schools, dysfunctional families and crime-ridden neighborhoods, but the real problem is that they have the right to a wage that is at least close to livable?

I'm not really buying that.

The idea with minimum wage is that it takes two people on a full time min wage to support living expenses.

The main problem with this is that single people are shafted with a lousy income.

If you can't afford to pay $7.25 an hour for labor, you should be an employee rather than an employer because you have a failed business model. The minimum wage helps weed out such failures that are better off being managed by their betters.

You make a very good point. What about the point the author makes about the detrimental effects it may have on people with little or no job skills? If an employee can't perform at least $7.25 worth of work according to the going market rate, then maybe NO one, not even someone with a successful business model would hire that person because doing so would contribute to making their business model a failed one. So the only chance for that person is welfare and welfare doesn't teach one job skills for the most part. Doesn't that essentially create a vicious cycle?

How about some job skills teaching with that welfare?

I just commented about this very thing in the other thread you recently started.

There are certain inherent costs in having a capitalistic society whether your conservative friends want to face up to the obvious truth or not. But calling it "honest" discussion is disingenuous at best. It is no more "honest" than they are now trying to be about inherent institutional racism in this country. Not only do they typically try to ignore it, many of them even continue to encourage it with ludicrous social budgets and nonsensical criminal laws.

Do they ever wonder how many whites would be criminals if they were being oppressed by another race? Where 36% of the young white males were unemployed? Where many of the rest had jobs that paid minimum wage which clearly isn't sufficient to live on anymore? Where their oppressors tried to claim that anybody who tried to help them have better lives were creating a welfare state?
It is as though I was specifically referring to this libertarian economist:

First, he mentions Daniel Moynihan's sociology report from the 1960s. But it doesn't stop there. He tries to extrapolate it to a dystopian present where things are far worse.

According to the CDC, it is just so much utter nonsense:

It gets even worse from there. He then refers to single-family black families as an "illegitimacy". That there is a "pathology seen among many blacks" and it is "an outgrowth of the welfare state that has made self-destructive behavior less costly for the individual".

He then insinuates that an employer can only get "$5 worth of value per hour" from black youths who make minimum wage.

Then, of course, he finishes by blaming so-called liberal "politicians and civil rights organizations using government in the name of helping blacks when in fact they are serving the purposes of powerful interest groups" for everything which has occurred.

Nearly every single conservative cliche is condensed into this 9-paragraph rant. The only things missing are Obamacare and blaming the current president. He blames everything but the real issues which he completely ignores.

The light bulb has to want to change.

Min wage in the UK is around £6.50 ph now. I'll do my 16 hours without affecting my benefits for that!

Monday for my next appointment and full referral to a great disability employment agency, and they told me in my meeting they do everything they can to help find the people they work with jobs, including training since Ive been out of work, getting new references through them, and they call the potential employers for me too!

I actually cant wait, I've never been so excited to get back into work! ... Stupid venlafaxine, why you do this to me?

Do they ever wonder how many whites would be criminals if they were being oppressed by another race? Where 36% of the young white males were unemployed?

In Spain youth unemployment was 49% by the end of 2011. Were crime rates so high?

Where many of the rest had jobs that paid minimum wage which clearly isn't sufficient to live on anymore?

$7.25 an hour is not sufficient to live on? So what kind of prices do you have there?

It would not be sufficient in the UK, and no the £6.50 min wage isnt either. Housing costs are astronomically high here now.

Minimum wage in Poland was ca. $2.5 - $3 an hour in 2014.*

But employees on junk contracts can get even just ca. $1.0.

Call this hwhite privilege or something like this.

*It depends on hours worked, because there is a fixed minimum wage but per month - not per hour.

So Spanish youth are oppressed by another race? Are they all also treated like they are criminals?

But houses cost like the equivalent of £1000 in Poland or something?

So Spanish youth are oppressed by another race?

Perhaps by Hwhite Saxons and their Anglo Merkel. Or - more likely - by themselves.

===========

From Hans F. K. Günther, "The Racial Elements Of European History", London 1927:

It is a racist book written by a racist, but author had a rather individualistic approach to race (read the excerpt):

We find, in general, the most confused notions as to how the European peoples are composed of various races. We often hear, for example, a 'white race' or a 'Caucasian race' spoken of, to which the Europeans are said to belong. But probably, were he asked, no one could tell us what its bodily characteristics are. It is, or should be, quite clear that a 'race' must be embodied in a group of human beings each of whom presents the same physical and mental picture. Physical and mental differences, however, are very great, not only within Europe (often called the home of the 'white' or 'Caucasian' race) and within each of the countries in it, but even within some small district in one of the latter. There is, therefore, no 'German race,' or 'Russian race,' or 'Spanish race.' The terms 'nation' and 'race' must be kept apart.

People may be heard speaking of a 'Germanic,' a 'Latin,' and a 'Slav' race; but it is at once seen that in those lands where Germanic, Romance, or Slav tongues are spoken there is the same bewildering variety in the outward appearance of their peoples, and never any such uniformity as suggests a race.

We see, therefore, that the human groups in question -- the 'Germans,' the 'Latins,' and the 'Slavs' -- form a linguistical, not a racial combination.

The following consideration will probably be enough to keep racial and linguistical grouping distinct from one another. Is a North American negro -- a man, that is, speaking American English, a Germanic tongue, as his own -- is he a German, taking this term in its wider meaning? The usual answer would be: No; for a German is tall, fair, and light-eyed. But now a fresh perplexity comes in: In Scotland are found many tall, fair, light-eyed men and women, speaking Keltic. Are there, then, Kelts who look like 'Germans' ? It is from Kelts (according to a still prevalent belief in south Germany) that the dark, short people of Germany come. Many of the ancient Greeks and Romans are described as like Germans. Fair, light-eyed men and women are not seldom met with in the Caucasus. There are Italians of 'Germanic' appearance. I have taken the anthropometrical measurements of a Spaniard with this appearance. On the other hand, there are very many Germans, men belonging, that is, to a people speaking a Germanic tongue, who have no Germanic appearance whatever.

I just commented about this very thing in the other thread you recently started.

It is as though I was specifically referring to this libertarian economist:

First, he mentions Daniel Moynihan's sociology report from the 1960s. But it doesn't stop there. He tries to extrapolate it to a dystopian present where things are far worse.

According to the CDC, it is just so much utter nonsense:

It gets even worse from there. He then refers to single-family black families as an "illegitimacy". That there is a "pathology seen among many blacks" and it is "an outgrowth of the welfare state that has made self-destructive behavior less costly for the individual".

He then insinuates that an employer can only get "$5 worth of value per hour" from black youths who make minimum wage.

Then, of course, he finishes by blaming so-called liberal "politicians and civil rights organizations using government in the name of helping blacks when in fact they are serving the purposes of powerful interest groups" for everything which has occurred.

Nearly every single conservative cliche is condensed into this 9-paragraph rant. The only things missing are Obamacare and blaming the current president. He blames everything but the real issues which he completely ignores.

The light bulb has to want to change.

Hmm. Sometimes I think some economists are the number one enemy of social progress.

Found this article posted on the Philosophy Now forum. What do others here think of it?

Hustlers and people with little understanding want us to believe that today's black problems are the continuing result of a legacy of slavery, poverty and racial discrimination. The fact is that most of the social pathology seen in poor black neighborhoods is entirely new in black history.

Social pathology?

Is minimum wage ultimately doing more harm to all of us than good?

How does that even follow from this pathological dribble? Bearing in mind that this columnist is supposed to be an economist.

Social pathology?

How does that even follow from this pathological dribble? Bearing in mind htat this columnist is supposed to be an economist.

I guess if a person doesn't have a white picket fence around their house, a dog named Lassie and a father who knows best, then it's an example of "pathology".

Well, I was under the impression that pathology applies to individuals (as in a person having a disease). I was unaware that 'miniumum wage' was a disease. My bad.

Sorry but yea, I only just saw that misuse of pathology and my brain just sparked back to the days of when I did my Biology degree.

Pathology = the study of disease causing micro organisms, or something like that. It means nothing whatsoever to do with anything that isn't a disease causing micro organism.

Top Bottom