The Very Many Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a lot a recent Russian/Ukrainian immigrants, but as for second or third generation Israelis I've not seen any signs of preference toward vodka. I don't really go to bars however, but I'll ask one of my partying friends.

Confession: I was utterly, 100% wrong here. Everyone I ask says that vodka is the most popular liquor in Israel, by far.

Barbershops, like salons, offer an experience in addition to haircuts.

You're still in London, right? Go to an Aveda salon in the future. It's more intimate than a barbershop. I've heard good things about Wabi Sabi.

There was 0 verbal interaction with the guy cutting my hair though, he just stuck to his job and I was mainly looking at the TV, they had the olympics on. The only part of the haircut that could have been an experience were the leather couches you get to wait in, and those are comfy, but after all just couches.

I think you've got the wrong London. I'm in the slightly less popular one in Canada.

So did you get dreadlocks?

The closest I ever got to dreadlocks was when I got my mom to braid my hair back in highschool when I had it down to my shoulders. I admit sort of inspired by the Offspring. I kept it for a couple weeks, then when I got my hair unbraided it went up like a giant fro

Cutlass said:
I've been to these fancy hairdresser places, and they are a waste of money. For a typical men's haircut, they'll charge you 2 or 3 times as much, and it won't be any different of a cut.

Yeah that's why I stopped going to those places and stick to franchise type places. I found a privately owned haircut place very close to where I live, it was hiding behind some bushes. It's middle eastern owned, and the guy who cuts my hair there gives me a great haircut, but it's a bit weird in there. It's like there are all those unspoken expectations that I don't know about. Maybe there aren't any, but each time I'm there I always feel like everybody knows something I don't. And at first the guy was like "drop in whenever!" but then would always seem annoyed when I just dropped in. So one time I was like "Should I call ahead?" and he was all "yep". So I've tried doing that but our hours now never align, so the last 2 haircuts I got elsewhere. I loved the dropins because they just work so well for me, ah well

Cutlass said:
As to the Black barbers, it's not that they are any different in principle, but rather that their experience is different. And by experience, I mean African descended people have notably different hair than northern European hair people.

Yeah, at first I was thinking "Maybe they just don't specialize in white people hair", but that seems like nonsense. They do seem to specialize in the usage of all sorts of different razors, for different purposes, or at least the guy who was cutting my hair did. Plus the guy cutting my hair was white. We'll see what my hair looks like tomorrow when I put product in it.

Cutlass said:
And this comes about because to a large extent white people are going to white barbers, and black people are going to black barbers.

Is this a thing here in Canada, though? We kinda like to mix it up and people go where they want. I've seen all sorts of ethnic groups at all sorts of haircut places, including this one. But maybe I'm just not paying enough attention

Cutlass said:
As to other factors, you may find that a good barbershop is a bit of a community meeting place. The guy I go to, there's often 2-3 men sitting around who aren't there to get their hair cut, but only to hang out and talk. That's really not that uncommon with a good barbershop. So you have a bit of a community meeting room going on at some good barbershops.

Hey, that might be it! That's what this place felt more like, it was a lot more social. And a couple guys dropped in and said hi to everyone there and gave them fist bumps, but they didn't seem to be employees. That's partially why I got that "I'm intruding on something that's not meant for me" type of feeling. But mind you they made me feel really welcome.

There was 0 verbal interaction with the guy cutting my hair though, he just stuck to his job and I was mainly looking at the TV, they had the olympics on. The only part of the haircut that could have been an experience were the leather couches you get to wait in, and those are comfy, but after all just couches.

I think you've got the wrong London. I'm in the slightly less popular one in Canada.

No talking is fine. I don't talk either. Sometimes (okay, most of the time) I like just being in a different atmosphere.

Wabi Sabi is in the less popular London!

No talking is fine. I don't talk either. Sometimes (okay, most of the time) I like just being in a different atmosphere.

Wabi Sabi is in the less popular London!

Ha, I actually used to live right beside this place. It seems a bit fancy though, no? I'm a simple man with simple hair

Ha, I actually used to live right beside this place. It seems a bit fancy though, no? I'm a simple man with simple hair

It's definitely a bit fancy. And more expensive than a regular old-fashioned cut. If you're like @Cutlass and all you want is to get your hair cut ASAP then it's not for you. A generic Magicuts or whatever they have on the east coast gets the job done and pretty cheaply too.

Wabi Sabi is actually cheap compared to Aveda salons here on the west coast. I went to a teaching salon and even a student cost upwards of $35. An interesting experience. Nowadays though I just buzz cut myself for free. :lol:

I would recommend going at least once just to try it out. It's not a major investment and who knows, you might discover you really enjoy the hair washing and scalp massaging. It's cheaper than going to a massage parlor anyways. :mischief:

LOL I don't really expect a good answer to this question but I'll ask it anyways -

I'm balding and it's noticeable in the front if my hair isn't laying *just* right. I really just want to shave my head but my wife pitches a fit whenever I bring it up. I guess she's not attracted to bald men but I'm on my way to be one and I just want to lean into it and be done with the balding look. Any suggestions to make the next conversation with her go better?

LOL I don't really expect a good answer to this question but I'll ask it anyways -

I'm balding and it's noticeable in the front if my hair isn't laying *just* right. I really just want to shave my head but my wife pitches a fit whenever I bring it up. I guess she's not attracted to bald men but I'm on my way to be one and I just want to lean into it and be done with the balding look. Any suggestions to make the next conversation with her go better?

Hire a bald male stripper to deliver a valentine's message to her at work.

I'm not quite balding, but I'm definitely thinning to the point where the difference is starting to feel like defensiveness. :shifty: What I suggest is do not shave your head. That's an overreaction, and over compensating. Just go very short on the hair you have left. Balding is just something that happens to many men. Deal with it. Don't fight, don't overcompensate. Look it straight in the eye and deal with it with dignity.

I'm not quite balding, but I'm definitely thinning to the point where the difference is starting to feel like defensiveness. :shifty: What I suggest is do not shave your head. That's an overreaction, and over compensating. Just go very short on the hair you have left. Balding is just something that happens to many men. Deal with it. Don't fight, don't overcompensate. Look it straight in the eye and deal with it with dignity.

Yeah. Don't shave your head and walk around with your head looking like a freshly circumcised dick.

...although I do it. :D

Unless you like the Riff Raff* look, keep your cut relatively short and never comb it to hide your balding spot. Listen to your wife.

*google Rocky Horror Picture show

Silly solution: Buy an 18th-century wig and start wearing it (the ones with long, flowing locks). Unless she's really into that sort of thing, she should realize that your solution is the more sensible one. After all, it's your hair (or lack thereof).

Practical solution: Or just remind her that when all is said and done, biology is going to win this argument and you might as well just deal with it as much as you can on your own terms.

Yeah I'd be fine with shaving my head real short too. I'll run that by her. Thanks everyone!

If you want to have a shaved head shave your head. But I'm going to tell you now, every stage of baldness you get you will think, you know, actually the last stage was alright and I could have kept a hairdo. A fade into short hair on top is usually a better option.

I grew mine out. Not much on top but my sides and back are flowing past my shoulders.

Yeah I'd be fine with shaving my head real short too. I'll run that by her. Thanks everyone!
Remember the part about the solution to most problems being ‘yes, dear/please, dear/sorry, dear’ (cross out whichever does not apply, if any).
*google Rocky Horror Picture show
You should be infracted for making such a suggestion.

Remember the part about the solution to most problems being ‘yes, dear/please, dear/sorry, dear’ (cross out whichever does not apply, if any).

You should be infracted for making such a suggestion.
au contraire mon ami. I should get showered in likes for its mere mention. :p

Link to video.

I'm not clicking that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom