1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXVIII

Discussion in 'Serial Thread Archives' started by Synsensa, Sep 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I just realized that probably wasn't the best way to phrase it

AdamCrock and The_J like this.
  2. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Just spitballing here, but if you look at the starting points of those storms, they tend to start in places where the prevailing winds have been over land for a long time. Now what I'm fairly sure is true is that winds traveling for long distances over land can reach extremes of temperature much greater, or much lower, than winds traveling over water can. So as there is a lot more of Earth's land area north of the Equator, I think there's more extremes of temperature there. And tropical storms are fueled by heat.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  3. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

don't

it's the iron :lol:

Last time I gave that a shot, it was super duper incredibly massively one-click easy. Used a program called "Miro" iirc. Input source URL, specify quality, and presto! ezpz and even free

4. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

just use OBS

5. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

This is part of it, in a way. The African waves are a unique thing north of the Equator; there aren't any storm systems flying west out of Nambia. But the big thing is the South Atlantic just has a ton of wind shear. Way, way stronger wind shear, to the point hurricanes really struggle to form. And then without repetitive storm systems pouring into the south Atlantic, it's rare for anything to get going.

Also as to the equator stuff, yeah. It's tough for storms to form close. The closest storm to the equator (Vamei, which hit Malaysia and Indonesia) was calculated as a once in 100-400 year event.

I've read way too much weather stuff online over the years.

6. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

I have a login on YouTube as BlutoLongneck. I never checked out my own page as I didn't understand it was a registered channel. I laughed pretty hard when I saw I had 2 subs after all these years, but I don't know how to figure out who they are...poor souls.:)

I sub a lot and make a few comments here and there and also give likes to everyone that make my day.

There is never a day I run out of something new to watch, as my watchlist span everything from games, history, aliens and so on, not talking about reddit/posts. I can use 30 mins or an hr every day to just check out things and this make me quite happy.

So 2 people subbed to "my channel", how can I find out who they are? I tried a little bit in the settings, but I'm dumb. I want to give them my thanks. :)

7. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Apparently I have several subscribers, and I've never uploaded anything to that site. I guess there are a few people who are interested in my comments on The Handmaid's Tale (I subscribe to several review channels). I've no idea who these people are, and haven't worried about it. As long as they don't get stalkerish or make threats, it's just one of those things.

I even have several followers on CBC.ca (at least on that site we get to know who our followers are, but can't contact them to ask why).

8. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

The easy explanation: All bots.

gozpel and hobbsyoyo like this.
  9. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Click on your profile icon at the top right of the screen and then click on Creator Studio. Once it loads, at the very bottom left, click on Creator Studio Classic. The YouTube beta is missing more than half of the features of the old studio. Seeing your subscribers is one of those missing features.

Once the page reloads, click on Community on the left-hand sidebar and then click on Subscribers beneath it. That page will show you all your subscribers who have their subscriptions set to public.

gozpel likes this.
  10. MaryKB

MaryKB Deity Supporter

So I bought a soundbar for my computer, but every time I turn it on I hear this horrible buzzing sound. What do I do?

11. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

I don't know what a sound bar is, but I'm assuming it's a speaker output. If it isn't already, and assuming it has the correct cable, plug it into the 'line out' in the back of your PC. That's the ideal slot for it. If this is null and void, you could try the 3.5mm audio jack, usually in the front. Make sure it's plugged all the way in - once I only plugged my headphones in like 99% of the way and only one cup worked, because it wasn't fully connected. If both of these ports produce problems, I'd get a refund for your purchase. One of them probably has interference from the internal electronics, which is what is producing the buzz, if it's not just a defective unit entirely. If buzzing continues from all source outputs, I'm going to assume it's defective. Is it horribly loud or just horribly toned?

12. local_hero

local_hero Prince

This happens frequently to you? Amusing that you have a contingency plan for that situation.

13. really

really Deity

Today I learned Scotland has different income tax rates to the rest of the UK.
    I know there are plenty of other differences, some substantial, like the legal system.

My question: why didn't the UK (historically England) try to harmonise these and eliminate differences after the act of union like say France standardised regions it absorbed over time. Was it because of the relative sizes? The form of the joining - union rather than conquest?

I know culturally England tried to wipe out Irishness over a long period but even when Ireland was in the UK it was still subject to different Ireland only laws.
    Are there any other examples?
    Does the lack of a codified constitution help or hinder these differences? Does it cause it because no one has sat down to write out the rules in one document?

Edit: Brexit thoughts prompted this but it isn't about Brexit as such - looking at London papers trying to understand what had happened in Scotish courts and how that relates to the UK overall prompted it. I won't pretend to understand it myself.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  14. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Mansplaining Fool

Are you watching chainsaw Youtube videos?

15. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Hah, no, not really. But I live in an ethnic (read: predominantly non-English/East/South Asian) neighbourhood and they tend to spice things quite a bit. I like spice but my body doesn't, so I have to be careful to ask if anything new I buy could in any way be construed as spicy. Most of the time they'll assure me that it's fine and then it ends up not being fine. For me the orange juice does nothing for my digestive system but it gets rid of the pain in my tongue. I can handle the other problem with double-dosing Pepto Bismol.

16. aimeeandbeatles

I wonder why spicy food is predominantly found in countries that have hot temperatures.

17. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Spoiled meat.

18. aimeeandbeatles

That would make sense. I thought it was because hot spices grow easier in hot climates.

19. Truthy

Truthy Idle

A book I recently started reading talks about this. Here's a passage:
    Spoiler :
    Several lines of evidence indicate that spicing may represent a class of cultural adaptations to the problem of food-borne pathogens. Many spices are antimicrobials that can kill pathogens in foods. Globally, common spices are onions, pepper, garlic, cilantro, chili peppers (capsicum) and bay leaves. Here’s the idea: the use of many spices represents a cultural adaptation to the problem of pathogens in food, especially in meat. This challenge would have been most important before refrigerators came on the scene. To examine this, two biologists, Jennifer Billing and Paul Sherman, collected 4578 recipes from traditional cookbooks from populations around the world. They found three distinct patterns.

1. Spices are, in fact, antimicrobial. The most common spices in the world are also the most effective against bacteria. Some spices are also fungicides. Combinations of spices have synergistic effects, which may explain why ingredients like “chili power” (a mix of red pepper, onion, paprika, garlic, cumin and oregano) are so important. And, ingredients like lemon and lime, which are not on their own potent anti-microbials, appear to catalyze the bacteria killing effects of other spices.

2. People in hotter climates use more spices, and more of the most effective bacteria killers. In India and Indonesia, for example, most recipes used many anti-microbial spices, including onions, garlic, capsicum and coriander. Meanwhile, in Norway, recipes use some black pepper and occasionally a bit of parsley or lemon, but that’s about it.

3. Recipes appear to use spices in ways that increase their effectiveness. Some spices, like onions and garlic, whose killing power is resistant to heating, are deployed in the cooking process. Other spices like cilantro, whose antimicrobial properties might be damaged by heating, are added fresh in recipes.

Thus, many recipes and preferences appear to be cultural adaptations adapted to local environments that operate in subtle and nuanced ways not understood by those of us who love spicy foods. Billing and Sherman speculate that these evolved culturally, as healthier, more fertile and more successful families were preferentially imitated by less successful ones. This is quite plausible given what we know about our species’ evolved psychology for cultural learning, including specifically cultural learning about foods and plants.

The most interesting part to me is how customs like this can take hold without anyone really knowing why it's a good idea.

tjs282, The_J, Birdjaguar and 2 others like this.
  20. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Doctor of Funk

I suppose it must have been a lot of trial and error, with a lot of people suffering food poisoning. And we're only recently in an age when we throw away anything that could yet be made into food. Starvation is probably a good motivator to experiment.

When it comes to chilis, I have to remind myself that, like potatoes, they're not native to the countries I most associate them with. I mean, what did 14th-Century Indian food taste like?

Truthy and The_J like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.