The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what would happen to a big hurricane if the earth suddenly started spinning the opposite way.

EDIT: Actually, what would happen to us? Would everyone end up with super-whiplash?

Not quite the same thing and expanding on @hobbsyoyo answer:-

Nicked from one of Randall Munroe's books:-

"What Would Happen If Earth Stopped Spinning"

https://io9.gizmodo.com/xkcds-creator-explains-what-would-happen-if-earth-stopp-1625068208

"NEARLY EVERYONE WOULD DIE. Then things would get interesting. At the equator, the Earth's surface is moving at about 470 meters per second —a little over a thousand miles per hour —relative to its axis. If the Earth stopped and the air didn't, the result would be a sudden thousand-mile-per-hour wind."

Anyone here ever eaten a Carolina Reaper, and any advice? I've found a few good tips and tricks but looking for as many as possible. I have two at home. I am planning one eating one tonight.

done it, but I have lots and lots of experience w/ peppers. honestly, I think taste wise they're pretty bad. keep some yoghurt and/or coconut milk nearby. I'd personally make then into hot sauce, but if you want to eat it straight go for it. I've taken a bite and it was pretty unenjoyable. much prefer ghost peppers or habs. also have a friend nearby and record the thing.

What?! You'd be dead! A million and a half Scoville units is like drinking pepper spray. :faint:

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't actually die, but it might feel like it.

Funny thing. I just the other day accidentally put a one-million Scoville on a taco: Mad Dog 357. I was at a place that I didn't think stocked hot sauces, so I just splashed it on liberally.

Tears running down my face. Sinuses pouring out mucus. Yikes. Took all the sour cream and rice and beans I could eat to calm it down.

done it, but I have lots and lots of experience w/ peppers. honestly, I think taste wise they're pretty bad. keep some yoghurt and/or coconut milk nearby. I'd personally make then into hot sauce, but if you want to eat it straight go for it. I've taken a bite and it was pretty unenjoyable. much prefer ghost peppers or habs. also have a friend nearby and record the thing.

I have decent experience myself, just nothing to this level. I love habaneros and usually keep some at home to snack on. I tried some super spicy ramen in Chicago this summer that was way spicier than habaneros too. But they used waaaaaay too much artificial smoke so the flavor sucked and honestly that was the part that stopped me from eating much of it. Hate that stuff.

That's a bummer about their taste. Still curious though. I'm thinking about making a spicy pasta sauce with the 2nd one. Coconut milk is good to know, I have some at home already. Thanks.

Edit: And oh yeah my wife is probably going to be on camera duty and laugh at my reaction duty as well.

The only thing I know about hot peppers is that you're not supposed to drink water. Because it just makes the spicy chemical wash around and makes things worse.

The only thing I know about hot peppers is that you're not supposed to drink water. Because it just makes the spicy chemical wash around and makes things worse.

Lager is better. The alcohol reacts with many spicy chemicals in a way that reduces their impact, in a way that water does not.

I've heard milk is good too because it binds to the spicy chemical (I know the name, but I can't spell it) and neutralizes it.

I use orange juice whenever someone tricks me into eating something spicy.

My biggest concern about eating a pepper that hot would be the effects it has on my stomach. Ouch. Also, isn't it going to be like crapping fire the next day?

I've seen things about Taco Bell diarrhea, and I doubt their stuff is really super-spicy.

Funny thing. I just the other day accidentally put a one-million Scoville on a taco: Mad Dog 357. I was at a place that I didn't think stocked hot sauces, so I just splashed it on liberally.

Tears running down my face. Sinuses pouring out mucus. Yikes. Took all the sour cream and rice and beans I could eat to calm it down.

mad dog is pretty bad, but I thought "Da Bomb" was much worse, it lasts very long

I've seen things about Taco Bell diarrhea, and I doubt their stuff is really super-spicy.

that's just Americans having problems with digestion due to lack of fiber. much more likely it is the beans that upset their intenstines.

spicy food does not give you diarrhea, it just makes your.. trip to the bathroom hurt like hell.

My biggest concern about eating a pepper that hot would be the effects it has on my stomach. Ouch. Also, isn't it going to be like crapping fire the next day?

worst it could give you is an ulcer, but if you're "trained" that wouldn't really happen. it's a one in a million thing imo.

for the poopy part.. no, not really. if you're lucky you'll feel nothing. if you're unlucky a seed or membrane touches your.. end and you'll be in hell. with sauces the heat is more diluted so the pain is guaranteed.with raw chilis it is a complete gamble, like russian roulette.

I've heard milk is good too because it binds to the spicy chemical (I know the name, but I can't spell it) and neutralizes it.

yes, everything that has fat works. everything that is simply water does not work. the molecule is called capsaicin.

Lager is better. The alcohol reacts with many spicy chemicals in a way that reduces their impact, in a way that water does not.

that is complete bs.

What?! You'd be dead! A million and a half Scoville units is like drinking pepper spray. :faint:

yeah it's close to pepper spray, but honestly at some point scoville does not matter anymore. I know for a fact that "Da Bomb" is way below "Mad Dog" on the scoville scale, but feels much worse, and anyone I have asked agrees.

I have decent experience myself, just nothing to this level. I love habaneros and usually keep some at home to snack on. I tried some super spicy ramen in Chicago this summer that was way spicier than habaneros too. But they used waaaaaay too much artificial smoke so the flavor sucked and honestly that was the part that stopped me from eating much of it. Hate that stuff.

That's a bummer about their taste. Still curious though. I'm thinking about making a spicy pasta sauce with the 2nd one. Coconut milk is good to know, I have some at home already. Thanks.

Edit: And oh yeah my wife is probably going to be on camera duty and laugh at my reaction duty as well.

maybe I just had a bad one, some people like the taste of the reaper. mine was earthy, kinda chocolate-y and had a .. dirty aftertaste. also kinda tasted like sweat. I think spicy pasta sauce sounds really good. maybe at some point I will post my collection of home made hot sauces, I have like 6 or 7 going right now,

pain will defo last around 10 minutes so be prepared.

Worst I ever screwed that up was drinking and forgetting to wash hands adequately before, not after, using the urinal. I had started debating if the risk of getting arrested was worth tapping the sink.

On the topic of poo, what exactly do iron pills do in there that makes it turn near-black? It scared the crap out of me the first time it happened because I thought it was dried blood.

Ripping videos from Youtube is a massive hassle which seems to be possible only with a number of shady and/or unstable plugins. But almost all YouTubers seem capable of putting up videos with high-quality clips of each other's videos.

Do they just suck it up and figure out how to rip videos? Are there paid plugins that actually work? Or do pros just suck it up and buy screen-recording software?

On the topic of poo, what exactly do iron pills do in there that makes it turn near-black? It scared the crap out of me the first time it happened because I thought it was dried blood.
It's the iron content in blood that makes it red, and thus bloody-poops black, so I'd imagine whatever iron from the pill isn't absorbed by your body has the same chemical effect as that in blood.

The pros likely already use screen recorders for their videos, so seems reasonable they could easily use them for that purpose too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom