The War Of The Ring(BFME AAR)

Lighthearter

President of the United States
Amon Hen, Part 1

"Frodo!" Aragorn called, coming to the top of the hill.

"Stay back!" Frodo called, retreating swiftly. The hobbit seemed terrified of the ranger.

"I swore to protect you." Aragorn said, stopping.

"Can you protect me from yourself?" Frodo demanded. Aragorn paused, realizing what must have happened. Curse you, Boromir. Curse you for the fool you are. You tried to take the Ring from him! Frodo seemed to pause - then the hobbit looked up and opened his hand. The little gold circlet gleamed from his palm. "Would you destroy it?" he asked.

Aragorn stepped forward, looking at the One Ring. Aragorn, it seemed to call, Elessar. He knelt before Frodo, reaching for the hobbit's hand. Instead of taking the Ring, though, he closed Frodo's fingers.

"I would have gone with you to the end - into the very fires of Mordor." Aragorn whispered.

"Mr. Frodo!"

Aragorn spun upright, drawing his sword. Sam sprinted forward, puffing with exertion. Frodo's former gardener had his sword drawn.

"Sam, why are you here?" Frodo yelled, slipping the Ring into his pocket.

"Are you safe?" Gandalf cried, running forward on Sam's heels. The White Wizard held his own sword Glamdring in hand as well. "Saruman's creatures are coming!"

Aragorn turned, suddenly hearing the clanks of armor. "Run!" He yelled to Frodo and Sam. When the hobbits paused, he gestured and repeated the command.

"Fly, you fools!" Gandalf cried. He then stepped out towards the forest. Aragorn followed, seeing Sam and Frodo flee. The wizard and the ranger abruptly came face-to-face with several dozen Uruk-hai, all chanting and beating weapons on shields.

Aragorn was first to attack, ramming his blade to the hilt in an uruk's chest. Gandalf was by his side, first blocking a sword, then stabbing his staff forward and sending a dozen uruks flying. Aragorn parried, then dispatched his next foe. The wave of foes washed over him and he retreated, Gandalf at his side.

"Strider!" Sam suddenly called, and Aragorn spun about. Frodo and Sam were under attack from another wave of uruks! Aragorn swore, then charged forward.

"Elendil!" He cried, leaving Gandalf. He decapitated one uruk, then slashed at another. Sam and Frodo were fighting too, slashing and parrying with their small swords. Aragorn hacked at an uruk approaching Sam, then kicked another and shoved his sword behind him through a third. He slashed up and down, side to side, impaled another and cut the head off yet another. Gandalf was whirling through the fight, staff and sword a blur.

"Frodo!" Legolas cried, coming from nowhere and shooting into the brutal melee. Gimli leapt in as well, smashing into an uruk and hewing left and right with his axe. Legolas stabbed an attacker with an arrow, then pulled the projectile back and fired it from his bow.

Aragorn slashed again - and there were no more uruk-hai. He paused, sweat running down his face, waiting for the next one to emerge. None did.

"What now?" Frodo asked. "The woods must be crawling with them!"

"We must get you to the boats!" Gandalf cried. "Then you can-"

And the horn of Gondor echoed through the trees.

"Boromir!" Aragorn cried. And where are Merry and Pippin?

___

Hello readers! As some of you may know, I'm LH, and I'm a veteran authAAR and a real-life(unpublished) fantasy writer. This idea has been banging around in my head ever since I narrated to myself Lothlorien-Helm's Deep in the Good Campaign of BFME while playing. I orginially wanted to do one of my vicious War of the Ring Mode(BFME2 ROTWK) matches (me vs. 2Xbrutal 1Xhard potentially with me having 1X medium ally) but I've been away from the game too long, so I settled on this. I'm playing on Hard.

I have a serious passion for Rohan(both in game and in-story) over Gondor, so expect a lot of scenes with my two Rohan characters - Arthain and Nylz.

My custom rules(mostly AAR-related)

- Important battles will be at least two parts, probably three or even four for ones like Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith
- All heroes can be used as viewpoint characters. Beyond that, I only have Arthain and Nylz.
- I reserve the right to dramatize non-dramatic situations for the purposes of the AAR.
- I will complete ALL bonus objectives. No exceptions. Well, maybe some, but those will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
- I won't be gamey - I'll try to be faithful(tactics-wise) to the movies - I.E. the Rohirrim will charge at Pellenor instead of simply running in through a postern gate and waiting the battle out. Within reason, of course.

So comment away and prepare to enjoy!

-L

Amon Hen, Part Two

"Legolas, Gimli, come!" Aragorn yelled, sprinting for the woods.

"Frodo! Samwise! Stay with me!" Gandalf cried, gathering up the two hobbits. Aragorn only barely heard. With Legolas on his heels and Gimli behind, the ranger was already running after the horn of Gondor.

It blared again.

"Hurry!" Aragorn shouted. An uruk appeared in his vision. He snarled and cut its legs from under it, not pausing. Legolas was firing as he ran, too. Uruk-hai fell, pierced by his arrows.

Ahead loomed a pass, uruks blocking the way. The horn echoed through the trees again. Aragorn launched himself forward, yelling in his rage. His target parried, then hacked. Gimli caught him from behind, then turned and threw a small axe into another creature. Legolas' knives flashed out, and the elven prince threw himself into the fight wholeheartedly. Aragorn was faintly aware of Gandalf behind him, and even Frodo and Sam fighting.

He parried, allowed Gandalf to smite his foe, then rolled through a last stand of trees, Legolas behind him.

"Hey - hey you! Over here!" Merry's voice echoed through the trees. Aragorn saw him and Pippin fleeing, uruks peeling off from a large force to chase them.

"Run, hobbits, run!" Boromir cried, blocking with his shield and then running his target through before sounding the horn again. An arrow planted itself in his shield, sending him staggering to the ground.

Legolas fired, sending an uruk only feet away from striking the Captain of Gondor to the ground. Aragorn leaped past him and smashed into the foe, hacking indiscriminately. Suddenly Legolas redirected his fire and Aragorn looked.

A large uruk was engaging the elf with a recurved shortbow, arrows flying both ways. He snarled something and fired again. Legolas ducked behind a tree, narrowly missing having a shaft planted in between his eyes. Aragorn yelled and continued fighting.

Boromir was suddenly at his side, then Gandalf on his other. Gimli came flying in over their heads, landing atop an uruk and hacking all about him. Rocks flew into the throng, and Aragorn knew that Frodo and Sam were engaging as safely as they could.

The large uruk fired, barely missing Frodo - proving that it wasn't so safe. Legolas suddenly whirled from behind cover, two arrows mounted on his bow, and shot them at the enemy. One pierced the uruk's chest, the other his head.

The beast dropped.

Aragorn hacked and slashed, thrust and parried, as the horde of uruks advanced. Through all of it Boromir was by his side, the captain of Gondor fighting to atone for his failure earlier in the day.

Gandalf's staff flashed forward in a sharp jab, a blast of air smashed uruks into the trees and ground -

And that was the last of them.

Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf, Boromir, Frodo and Sam all stood in the aftermath of a horrendous battle of which they were the only survivors. All about them lay the corpses of Uruk-hai, twisted and contorted.

"Run, Frodo!" Aragorn called. "Get to the boats!" He was pointedly watching Boromir as he said this. Boromir seemed to take a deep breath, closing his eyes and setting his teeth.

"Yes, leave!" He said with passion. "Destroy that foul thing!"

Frodo and Sam were gone within moments, heading for the boat just beyond the trees.

"Now what?" Legolas asked. "If we do not follow them, what now? Do I return to Mirkwood alone?"

"We cannot follow." Boromir said with certainty. "I cannot, at least."

"Then the Fellowship has failed." Gimli sighed.

Aragorn closed his eyes. Even Gandalf seemed disheartened. The ranger suddenly placed a hand on Boromir's shoulder, and another on Gimli's.

"Not if we stay true to each other." He said. "We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torture and death." Gimli placed his own hand overtop Aragorn's. Aragorn turned and jumped a few feet towards a tiny river. "Leave all that can be spared behind - we travel light." He ran off after the uruk-hai. Legolas and Gimli were first to follow, then Gandalf. Last was Boromir, who seemed to steady himself for just that one instand before suddenly nodding to himself and racing off after Aragorn.

___

And thus is Amon Hen concluded.

Later tonight/tomorrow comes The Battle of West Emnet and Arthain's introduction.

I am also announcing the Elven Academy Challenge! This challenge is for you, the readers, to supply me with helpful hints and tips about how to play the Battle For Middle-Earth games. Tips about heroes, archers, castles, seiges, general tactics and tricks, anything! Your reward will be units named after you! So please, help me learn to play better!

-L

This seems preety good so far, but it could stand to be a little bit more informative about the game itself. For example, people who havn't played Battle for Middle-Earth would be confused as to why Gandalf was at Amon Hen and Boromir survived. I think it would also be nice to have the occasional screenshot, to give people a better idea of what's going on.

Either way, I'll be looking forward to more of this. :)

Oh come on, who hasn't played the original BFME? Even my shooter-playing friends liked it.

Ah, I forgot that part. Silly me:p I have such a high focus on narration that I almost forget the gameplay side of things.

Basically, Battle For Middle-Earth follows the storyline of the movies(the Good Campaign does, at least) - with two key exceptions. The first is that Gandalf DEFEATS the Balrog in Moria(under the player's astute guidance, of course;)) and the second is that Boromir survives Amon Hen. Even if you fail the bonus objective to save him and he dies in-mission, he(and Aragorn/Legolas/Gandalf/Gimli, because the same happens if any of THEM die) doesn't go away strategically. So he'll be at Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith. Isn't it awesome??

However, these characters are somewhat lumped into existing roles. I.E. Gandalf and Boromir join the Three Hunters we all know and love in chasing the uruk-hai that have Merry and Pippin, and later Boromir rides with Gandalf and Pippin to Minas Tirith and joins Faramir in defending the city(One can only assume that Boromir talked his mad father out of ordering Faramir to retake Osgiliath). This provides moments that almost qualify as comedy gold when Fridge Logic comes into play about some parts.

Like how the Five Hunters(somewhat catchy) reroute to Edoras after hitting Fangorn - even when Gandalf was there with them the whole damn time. And how Gandalf becomes Gandalf the White after Moria with no provided explanation. Explainable, but funny.

-L

Needs moar pictures.

That is all.

It does need more pictures - BFME is still a rather lovely-looking game.

Also - cavalry. Just, cavalry. It's been a long time since I played the game, but I remember winning a lot of battles by overwhelming the enemy with horse-units, even as Gondor. Also, you damn well better keep Boromir alive, as that's Sean Bean and, well, I pay attention to when he's in an AAR

Pictures will arrive next update. ;)

Believe it or not, I used to(with Eomer and later Theoden's army) get everything except base Rohirrim units killed ASAP in order to get myself a max-size fully-upgraded army of nothing but Riders of Rohan. The results were spectacular - and then Isengard brought out the pikemen. Upgraded, of course. Mordor was packing Mumaks and trolls and Soldiers of Rhun.

I've gotten more mature then that :p ROHIRRIM AND ROHIRRIM ARCHERS! :lol: :crazyeye:

Update tonight. Battle of the West Emnet.

-L

@Omega124 - Oh, you read that article on Cracked too, huh? Those thoughts have occured to me while playing :p

I think I am going to do an "Evil" campaign eventually though. Prolly a comedy.

@SimonL - BFME? It's an LOTR RTS. Not much more too it then that, though it's a really wonderful game - except for the Mordor "faction".

-L

@Omega124 - Oh, you read that article on Cracked too, huh? Those thoughts have occured to me while playing :p

I think I am going to do an "Evil" campaign eventually though. Prolly a comedy.

@SimonL - BFME? It's an LOTR RTS. Not much more too it then that, though it's a really wonderful game - except for the Mordor "faction".

-L

Yes, I did read read the Cracked article. I know the site is supposed to be satire and humor, but I think they were actually right in most of the article. Sauron was like a mideval Napoleon, liberating the opressed in Europe Middle-Earth. One of the elf's favorite pastimes was killing orcs for and giggles. And they wonder why there's a huge orc invasion? Plus, its not like he wants to reverse the tables (Like the goblins in OotS), as he is perfectlly willing to allow men and such races in his army.

And why make it humorous? While I do like jokes, you could do the alternitive thinking justice. You are an extremely talented writer. I mean that sincerly. Normally, I wouldn't like the lack of pictures, but your writing makes up for it.

This thread is nothing without a Burglar.

Omega124 has clearly been corrupted by Sauron. Send him to Minas Ithil so he may better understand the 'accepting nature' of the Enemy :mischief:

West Emnet(Rohan Army)

The cheers were almost deafening.

Eighty men there were, Riders of Rohan mixed with drafted peasant levies from the towns of the Riddermark. All the men - and women, even, in the peasant formations, as Rohan's garrisons used all of strong arms to fight Saruman's creatures - were armored heavily, in finely crafted mail. Swords and spears forged by Rohan's master smiths glinted in the firelight, the former sheathed or held in hand, the latter planted in the still bodies of uruk-hai.

Eomer watched his men celebrate, a tankard of ale in his hand. He sat at a small table, brought by his own forces just for this purpose, absently holding the bandage around his arm.

"We should move." He said. "We cannot allow Saruman's filth to pervade our lands!"

"And we won't, my lord." Nylz, Eomer's armsman since the Lord of the Eastfold was eleven, said soothingly. "Let the troops rest tonight. They've won their first real victory against the enemy."

"We have won battles before." Eomer said, still wishing to move on.

"But we have not truly scored a victory."

Eomer studied Arthain. The man had started his career as a Dunedain ranger from the north, one of a few who had realized the growing threat in Mordor early and traveled south. That was many years ago. When Eomer had first met the man, only a month before, he was the commander of the tiny garrison of a small village in central Rohan. Nylz is a good man, Eomer thought, and indeed I am skilled, but Arthain has a gift for training and organizing men. Without him there would be no army in Rohan.

"Indeed?" Eomer asked, leaning back. Arthain shrugged.

"My lord, consider. At Snowbourne your riders shattered the uruks chasing scared peasants - quite impressive to watch, let me assure you. You burned a camp that never even saw you coming. Moving east, you saved more peasants and rode out and smashed the enemy again. While you were actually fighting, I was turning those peasants into the actual infantry force that you saw in action today. These men - and women - just faced off against warg riders, armored uruk pikemen wielding wickedly forged blades - astounding craftsmanship for orcs! - and still burned one camp and marched three miles to another and smashed it, saving your own Riders from destruction in the process. This proved that even Saruman's best can be beaten, even routed. And that is very encouraging."

Eomer laughed. "Arthain, you have the right of it. Let them celebrate." his smile vanished. "Soon they will have just cause to fear again."

Spoiler :

___

I've never understood how Rohan can let peasant women fight - but not Eowyn. I have hit upon a solution that can preserve the tension for Pellenor, but I'll keep it quiet for now. It's too damn simple and needs work :p

West Emnet was simple. East Emnet, however, was a bloody damn battlefield. That and the Eaves of Fangorn should be coming up DAMN soon. Like - TONIGHT soon.:goodjob: Maybe.

-L

Wait a minute. If Boromir, along with Farimir, are still alive and well, then how can Aragorn become king of Gondor? Denethor kills himself in a mad fight of range, and since their was no legal heir (As he thought Far was dead) Aragorn became king as the Stewart line is broken. Since the line is unbroken, Areagorn can no longer become king.

Top Bottom