The "What did they look like?" Thread

Quinzy

Deity
I'm starting up this thread in the hopes that I, along with others, can find out just what the heck X, Y or Z race/unit/leader etcetera looked like.

Along with me asking questions, i'll also try to answer yours too, if I can (not that I'm an expert in any respect, but i have found quite a bit of information that may prove useful)

This thread is also open to "What already made unit would be perfect for A, B or C unit?" questions too.

Kay, firstly, i'd like to know what a Tlapacoyan would look like?
Secondly, what did Egyptians look during the Ptolemaic Dynasty look like?
And for now, lastly, i'd like to know what pre-european contanct indigenous americans would have looked like at any point in time, such as the Mohawks, Onondage, Seneca etcetera.

I do apologise if this is a difficult task, and i'm not expecting answers really, I just would like to start a thread for people to post their problems with a slight hope of anwers :)

~Q

Are you looking for military uniform/equipment/weapons/armor info or more what the actual people looked like?

1. Tlapacoyan - & why are you interested in a type of cloth or is it a mode of washing??

2. Like ancient Greeks and Egyptians (certainly you're aware that Ptolemy was one of Alex the Greats successors, and the establisher of a Greco-Egytpian dynasty that lasted until Cleopatra ... ?)

3. Mongolians, with less pronounced epicanthial folds around the eyes. (Recall that the "indigenous" peoples of North America most likely just walked across the Siberian-Alaskan land bridge.) Gradual changes in facial traits led to the apppearance of Native Americans today.

Best As Always,

Oz

Secondly, what did Egyptians look during the Ptolemaic Dynasty look like?

2. Like ancient Greeks and Egyptians (certainly you're aware that Ptolemy was one of Alex the Greats successors, and the establisher of a Greco-Egytpian dynasty that lasted until Cleopatra ... ?

In addition to the answer given by Oz, the look of the Ptolomies would have been different depending who they thought was watching. There's plenty of evidence that the royal lineage took the traditional dress and so on of the Egyptians (see here). But they still maintained a degree of Hellenism too, this coin for instance shows Ptolomy Soter looking very similar to the Alexander coin you can see as my avatar. They were always treading a fine line between gaining popularity with the common people of Egypt (Egyptians) and the ruling elites (Macedonians).

As far as the Egyptian Ptolemaic armies go - take a look at some of the mods that have been made for Rome: Total War. Don't trust the original game though, since CA really screwed up the unit line up to suit what people think of as an Egyyptian army.

I find it pretty interesting to look at how the hellenic cultures merged with the subjects of Alexander. The Ptolomies are one example, but the Seleukids and Baktrians also had melting pot empires where the conquerors and the conquered were each affected by the traditions of the other.

Anyway, hope that was useful.

This thread is also open to "What already made unit would be perfect for A, B or C unit?" questions too.

Well then, what already made units would be good for the Nod Stealth tank, and GDI's Mammoth Mk. II and Titan?

These are just my first requests. I'll try to find most of the units I need myself; but the ones I have trouble with, I'll ask about here.

Attachments

• 20050304_100736_2.jpg
    20050304_100736_2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 51
  • emg_work2.jpg
    emg_work2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 67
  • heavy.jpg
    heavy.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 47
Wrymshadow's EU Battlewalker might do the trick for the Mammoth, or there are a couple of other walkers around somewhere - check the unit library. The Stealth Tank is tricky because of a fairly unique design and the fact that I guess you would want it to partially disappear while it attacks. Also, IIRC, it is a missile tank, and not that many have been made I don't think. On the Titan - good luck. :D

Wrymshadow's EU Battlewalker might do the trick for the Mammoth, or there are a couple of other walkers around somewhere - check the unit library. The Stealth Tank is tricky because of a fairly unique design and the fact that I guess you would want it to partially disappear while it attacks. Also, IIRC, it is a missile tank, and not that many have been made I don't think. On the Titan - good luck. :D

Thanks for the help. The only problem with Wyrm's battlewalker (the attack animations are exactly what I was looking for), is that the Mammoth has four legs (I know you really can't see that in the picture though). I'll probably end up using the battlewalker anyway (maybe as the Titan).

Top Bottom