Theistic Evolution

Perhaps he is talking about closing in to the beginning? He may believe his god created the world, while others believe all animals started out as micro-organisms in the sea.

I accept evolution pretty much completely. I think that God did something specific to create humans as we are, but that probably involved us evolving from earlier hominids. And I can accept current theories of abiogenesis as being the way God first brought life to the planet.

But I am saying that other people, in order to maintain a fairly literal interpretation of Genesis 1 without completely rejecting modern biology, have varying degrees of what they will accept. For instance, some see a several billion year gap between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2, or that "days" referred to longer time spans, while still saying that the text of Genesis 1 is accurate as far as describing the process. Such views, although not necessarily completely compatible with science, are at least theologically consistent (which is the concern of this thread).

Eran of Arcadia said:
I think that God did something specific to create humans as we are, but that probably involved us evolving from earlier hominids.

Here's the catch: How do you know current humans actually are the so-called images of god already?

Azash said:
Here's the catch: How do you know current humans actually are the so-called images of god already?

It is a matter of faith - I believe that God has told us (not just in Genesis, but other places) that we are in His image physically as well as spiritually. From that it follows that other organisms are to a greater or lesser degree, also in His image, which means that God designed life to look a lot like Him. I also believe that we are capable of becoming even more like Him.

Yeah, I would have to say that that doesn't really work. It is basically trying to accept part of the science while rejecting the implications. But then, that is more of a science issue, and I am more concerned with theological implications.

Right, perhaps I'm being pedantic, I'd say it's not a matter of shades of evolution; more a matter of different ways evolution fits into the Bible.

"Here's the catch:..." - Azash

That's not a catch.

But is there a force behind natural selection?

(Well, yes, sex, death, and random mutations - but is there anything behind those?)

So it is possible, given our limited understanding, that the "laws" of science are being used in some way to reach a certain end.

I personally believe that emotions, such as the force driving us to natural selection, is actually also scientific terms. Science has, today, stated that our emotions are nothing but chemicals unleashed in our body. The reason behind that though...

Molecular and chemical effects in my opinion.

The problem with laws behind actions are mostly not why we do those things, but the problem is more about what purpose these actions have.

So regarding creationism/genesis... What is my point? The purpose, the laws behind, the thing of which of them is the correct one is, which of them looks like it has the most of purpose.

Purpose is, in my humble definition, when something has a goal. An end. To have a goal, you must have a path to it. You must have a couple of actions before the goal. I think evolution here fulfil it mostly, as it is a large number of events, kickstarting each other, evolving - until ending, some day, some time.

It has something to do with my personal belief - That God knew all along. He began the Big Bang and is now allowing the world that he created to evolve.

And someday, apocalypse will come, with the Big Crush.

That's my opinion on the topic, at least.

A year old thread rises from the dead :eek:.

What, necro-ing the thread? I like this thread, don't feel bad.

:crazyeye:

Well, I do like this too, but I recieved a, well, half warning (It was a correcting PM) from ainwood because I necroed the thread with homosexual adoption. :blush: Thank you, though.

Well, even though I revived this, I don't feel too crappy about it. I want to participate in the discussion, and I made my point. :) And so I did.

because anytime I see the right arrangement of the words "Genesis", "days", "creation, and "evolution" I am complled to post this link (which IIRC I originally got from VRWC, correct me if I'm wrong), I have posted this message.

That's a very very interesting link. I honestly would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for providing such a nice read.

:crazyeye:

Well, I do like this too, but I recieved a, well, half warning (It was a correcting PM) from ainwood because I necroed the thread with homosexual adoption. :blush: Thank you, though.

Well, even though I revived this, I don't feel too crappy about it. I want to participate in the discussion, and I made my point. :) And so I did.
And now you're going to get in trouble for PDMA! :lol:

Well, maybe. You can hope not. ;)

That's a very very interesting link. I honestly would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for providing such a nice read.
Ybbor's link was one of best parts of that discussion.

Meh, the guy doesn't understand relativity that well.

Also I'm appalled at how people can necro such dead posts. Do people not pay attention? =P

Top Bottom