Tides of Crimson (FANTASY MOD)

am hoping for something else , haven't ever loaded Antal's patches so using Flintlock's would be some sort of a defeat , at least an appearance of accepting defeat . While playing LotM their graphics used to mark bonus grassland with heavy stones ; something happened , can't tell , can't explain , might be some residue , clearly not an eyesore anymore . Amazon graphics are old , possibly at times when people had limited computer power . So they have very exaggerated moves for me , and unfixable until somebody has new and different units .

fighting or building , they both require a tech superiority . Great Library is a cool thing but each scenario to its own . ı take a little satisfaction in being the first into next eras . In LotM the Great Library will quickly help me follow the Als into the second era , but ı will pick up speed to become probably the first into the third , but definitely always into the fourth . Science leader dragons are cool within the parameters of the scenario . That was a note in case my regular scenario set up included the science leaders on and this was something that shouldn't have happened .

loaded version should be the one before 2.9 . Dragons with Blitz ability will probably be too powerful for ToC . On the question of city placement , LotM is my standart and would try to open the distance between them , generally , so that they can use the maximum amount of useful land . But the territory might be too constricted , the layout might seem dangerous so that ı might like the possibility of sending reinforcements between cities in one turn , on and on . But this close happens only when ı feel ı need the cities , to get enough beakers for science and unit support . ı don't think ı will settle anymore cities , having secured enough potential . Wonders to become second nature after long enough playing but naturally those with two free techs are all important . Plus some were already gone by the time ı got the relevant techs .

months of playing tires you somewhat , ı had conquered a lot of land , could have dominated the tech race , won with culture , no more sense of challenge , not enough sense of achievement and satisfaction , a boring tedium of moving units around the map . Returning and keeping a more peaceful stance would help . Until the orc attack forced me into war . And the same issues ; a break would be nice ...

the "defence" against the short range of artillery must be that over a given time the Amazon girls would cover more distance and close with the enemy and engage in contrast to something that needed to be placed into position or whatever . Not the clearest explanation , but ı can accept the illusion or whatever of it . As for Al being stronger , that's related to Al maybe having more units . So that you would feel a NEED to ninja them to death . Or require a swarm of units to fight some "existantial" battle . ı imagine ı could get those things if ı was playing at a higher level than Monarch .

the Valkyre vs Raider issue should see me using them in battle and whatnot . After ı see the end in Aol by El Justo , which gave the feeling for Civ back after a week of this "holiday" thing . Set for months ı think , and ı will be back to Tides , possibly with a large enough fleet to Frostlings .

am hoping for something else , haven't ever loaded Antal's patches so using Flintlock's would be some sort of a defeat , at least an appearance of accepting defeat . While playing LotM their graphics used to mark bonus grassland with heavy stones ; something happened , can't tell , can't explain , might be some residue , clearly not an eyesore anymore . Amazon graphics are old , possibly at times when people had limited computer power . So they have very exaggerated moves for me , and unfixable until somebody has new and different units .

Ah I love the exaggerated moved of the Amazonians actually! Lol.
Insteresting what you are saying about the stones, bonus grassland in ToC should show up as mushrooms. But as TJS pointed out, I think your strange graphics might only happen when "view terrain yields" or whatever it's called, is on.

loaded version should be the one before 2.9 . Dragons with Blitz ability will probably be too powerful for ToC .

Agreed!

months of playing tires you somewhat , ı had conquered a lot of land , could have dominated the tech race , won with culture , no more sense of challenge , not enough sense of achievement and satisfaction , a boring tedium of moving units around the map . Returning and keeping a more peaceful stance would help . Until the orc attack forced me into war . And the same issues ; a break would be nice ...

Would scenarios help add to the diversity? I do have these planned eventually for a future release.

Glad to hear you might be back on the horse soon to fight the Frostlings!

Last edited:
Hello all!

We've created "How to Install" and "How to Play (for beginners)" videos for Tides of Crimson.

Please click on these links to view them.

These videos are aimed at beginners but also contain valuable ToC-specific tips. More videos and subsequent Let's Play episodes are coming as soon (aimed more at Civ 3 veterans)!

How to Install:

How to Play ToC, Part 1
(For those who've never played Civ 3 before, but Civ 3 Veterans will still be able to pick up on some mod-specific features)

Last edited:
Hi all! We've added a brand new youtube video detailing 30 NEW FEATURES in Tides of Crimson that are not present in the vanilla game. This will hopefully be helpful to Civ 3 newbies and veterans alike!
We've also updated the "How to Install" video to make it more straightforward.

More Tides of Crimson videos such as Let's Play episodes and Hints & Tips episodes, for you Civ 3 veteran players, are coming soon! =)

30 NEW FEATURES:

How to Install (Updated):

Last edited:
Hi @haluu! After finally bringing my most recent epic-game (Large Random-Pangaea, Random-Aztecs, Random-Opponents, Demigod; won by Domination in 1615 AD or so) to a close (started it in late July, while we were on vacation), I thought I'd have another go at ToC, on v.2.9 this time.
Spoiler Because I can't resist the urge to write Walls'O'Text... :
Rolled a Standard-size Random-Archi (but 70% water, so looks like a "beads-on-a-string" Continents), Emp level, with the Random-Ramayanians as my tribe, and the full 11 Random-Opponents.

My Builder spawned in the far SE 'bead' of the largest(?) landmass (my capital is only about 2 tiles north of the Tundra-line). I'm sharing it with the Hobbits and Naga (for now! :evil: ), and the High Elves also spawned here. The Elves were originally my nearest neighbours, occupying the 'hub' of our 3-spoked landmass, but are now OCC on a 3-tile island just off the west coast, courtesy of an early Hobbit–Naga alliance.

(I've noticed that the Elvish tribes never seem to prosper when controlled by the AI: might be worth considering some tweaks to their unit-line, and/or moving MAs further into the tech-tree, to prevent such early dogpiling...?)

I'm just over under 200 turns in so far, a little way into the Second Age and my exploring Schooners have met nearly everyone else on the map (Mountain Dwarves, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Amazons, Frostlings, Orcs, Goblins [~35 turns later] also just found the Moon Elves, apparently OCC neighbours of the Beastmen), although they have not quite finished mapping the world. Some canny trading — plus the Scientific freebie — gave me the global tech lead some turns ago, but I'm still only a little way ahead of the Hobbits (who seem to have gold coming out of their ears...).

Thanks to a nice chokepoint (plus 2 Green Fledges which I won for being first to 2 techs, including Philosophy) I was able to repel the Hobbits when they turned their forces against me as well, and even managed to take a few of their towns to force a decent peace-settlement, but I will need many more units before I can be confident of eliminating them completely.

In the meantime I started a mostly phony war vs. the Naga, mainly just to take a small Tundra-town which they'd founded at the SW end of my 'bead' — which the Hobbits are now eagerly fighting on my behalf (little do they suspect, that this is merely the first phase in my long-nursed plan for vengeance... :backstab: ).
I'm playing on the old WinXP laptop, which still only has the R9 Flintlock patch installed, but that doesn't seem to have caused any building- or AI-problems (yet!).

However, there does seem to be something screwy with the Desert-irrigation. Although irrigation shows up fine on other terrains, on Desert it looks like a photographic-negative: might be a (.pcx file?) pallette-problem there?

If you know how to re-size .flc graphics, I would also point out that the Rama "Trebux" bombardment-unit is about two times larger than it really needs to be...

Last edited:
Hi TJS, Miss you buddy! Thanks for your input!

I see what you are saying about the Trebux it is rather large. I've tried resizing units before but it did not end up so well. Let me see what I can do here.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by the desert irrigation? It's supposed to look different than irrigation on other tiles, so this is how the desert irrigation should look (below blue streaks in desert). Let me know if you are seeing something different.

1662835358003.png

Interesting notes about the elvish tribes. I ran a small amount of test games (3 games) and found the following results based on average scores for each race, but will need to test more to get more full data. Seems the Wood Elves were doing well and other Elves were middle of the road, with the exception of the Moon Elves. Odd, because I think the Moon Elves are quite powerful and very fun to play.
Of note is usually the Hobbits start off well, which is a purposeful balance to their very weak military units. But they tend to fall off, as you would imagine, if pounded too much militarily. Imagine Frodo and Sam fighting off droves of undead warriors... it's probably not going to end too well for them... =) I think playing the Hobbits well usually revolves around peaceful measures, but there are exceptions if you can get your Faerie Dragons and Bellators going late.
Thanks for the note on this! I'll see what else I can tweak balance wise for the Elven races in particular.

Early game rank = ~200 turns in, Late game rank = ~550 turns in.
1662835789870.png

Great job getting the early Green Fledges! They can indeed turn the tide of battle. I love that your evil intentions towards the Hobbits are already being planned. =D

I've recently started to play some 12-player maps as well, and have become quite fond of them. What is your general strategy with the Ramayanians (if you have one)?

This is fun and very hard.
If the AI get Green Fledges before you do it's over.

Bug report:
Almost no wonder that "provides an X building in every city on the continent" works. I built most of them and none of them worked.

Moon Elves are supposed to be immune from disease from flood plain but they aren't.
Edit: I looked and t's checked in the Biq. But it definitely didn't work, not sure why.

Edit2: I was actually playing vs 2.0 because I just realized that the BIQ have different names for some reason so when I downloaded 2.19 it didn't overwrite 2.0.
However, they both have "disable diseases from flood plains" checked and I definitely had population die from disease from flood plains (on like turn 50?)

Additional notes: don't download the invisible unit patch if you play other mods, it ruined my EFZI games. I just uninstalled it, but it is annoying to play TOC and have the AI fight you all the time because of the hordes of invisible units. It would be nice if the patch worked but I didn't have it lose my other games.

Last edited:
As of release 10 of the @Flintlock patch, a custom .ini file can be used for each mod you play. Just sayin...

This is fun and very hard.
If the AI get Green Fledges before you do it's over.

Bug report:
Almost no wonder that "provides an X building in every city on the continent" works. I built most of them and none of them worked.

Moon Elves are supposed to be immune from disease from flood pla

in but they aren't.
Edit: I looked and t's checked in the Biq. But it definitely didn't work, not sure why.

Edit2: I was actually playing vs 2.0 because I just realized that the BIQ have different names for some reason so when I downloaded 2.19 it didn't overwrite 2.0.
However, they both have "disable diseases from flood plains" checked and I definitely had population die from disease from flood plains (on like turn 50?)

Additional notes: don't download the invisible unit patch if you play other mods, it ruined my EFZI games. I just uninstalled it, but it is annoying to play TOC and have the AI fight you all the time because of the hordes of invisible units. It would be nice if the patch worked but I didn't have it lose my other games.
Point taken on the Green Fledges, I have planned on toning them down slightly for the next version. A good strategy against invading AI Green Fledges and Great Dragons in general is to use archers to weaken them if they are harrassing your cities. Also, melee attacks against dragons are sometimes a better 'defense' against them, since dragon defense ratings are often much lower than their attack ratings.

Regarding the bug for the 'provides an X building in all cities', i re-tested and see that this is working for version 2.91. Do you happen to have the latest patch (2.91) installed? This should correct your issue.

Great point on the naming of the BIQ file. I'll make sure to keep the name of the ToC scenario file the same in futuer versions so that it just 'overwrites' older versions.

The 2.91 patch should also solve your issue with the differences between ToC and other mods. The patch automatically eliminates the 'submarine' bug for Tides of Crimson, but you can remove this feature if you prefer to play without it for other mods. The C3X mod page can help you do that, but let me know if you need assistance on this.

Thanks for enjoying the game! A new version will hopefully be coming soon, so thank you for the helpful input!

Apparently this is a known bug. Kind of sucks when playing Wood Elves though...
I agree that can be rough, ill have to fix the civpedia on this. Luckily, the Moon Elves (I assume that's what you meant to say) have a quite a few other strong strengths/benefits. Regardless, this might be something I can mention to Flintlock to see if he can patch up. Thank you for mentioning it!

Moon Elves Sorceress doesn't have "enslave" checked in the Biq.

(I won about 40 battles before I decided to check why I never got a jaguar.)

Yeah the "x building on every continent" was the older version. I'll see if it comes up again.

Thanks!
Thanks, yeah let me know! Also thanks for pointing out the issue on the Sorceress, will add that to the fix list for the next patch.

Hi all,
ToC version 2.92 has been released! It includes updates based on feedback right here in this thread, and other additional enhancements. You can download it here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/tides-of-crimson-v2-92-patch.28864/

- ** Please Note ** Tides of Crimson BIQ (scenario) files will no longer have the version number in the file name for ease of installation moving forward. Please remove any older BIQ versions that have version numbers on them to avoid confusion. The correct BIQ file moving forward will now always be:
TIDES OF CRIMSON.biq
1664071043896.png

I've recently started to play some 12-player maps as well, and have become quite fond of them. What is your general strategy with the Ramayanians (if you have one)?
This game, my initial strategy was just to stay alive!
Spoiler Progress report... :
After the Hobbits gobbled up everyone else on our continent, and then came knocking, it was only by throwing everything into the chokepoint-town (where I also built my Spire of the Sunset) that I could hold them off. As noted in my earlier post, I made a few small gains after that first assault was blunted, taking nearby Rivendelle and WheatstalkSomething, plus an island-town-whose-name-currently-escapes-me in the bay north of my 'mainland' (and SE of coastal GrandShire), before making peace — but Hyrell had managed to build multiple GWs (including the free-Gardens GW in Rivendell, and the free-Shrines wonder in Grand Shire) and the Hobbit Culture was just too strong: I didn't have enough spare units available to prevent the 2 mainland towns from flipping back. They were only lightly garrisoned with a couple of Chakras and Yodhas (sp.?), though.

But then later on, my chokepoint-town flipped as well — taking 1 Yodha, 2 Chakras, 3 Trebux and 4 Schooners with it! That made me see red! "Luckily" I'd already been stockpiling newly-built units outside that town for the next push: mainly Wild Deer and Elephant-Scouts, but later I also built Riders, Soldiers and a few Purohitas , as I acquired the needed techs, and my larger towns approached Pop13-plus-full-foodboxes (once the pop-consuming units were finished, those towns would switch to building Chakras, Yodhas or Deer — depending on available SPT — while they regrew).

If you're wondering why no Bison Herds, well... my only Wheat-resource was on that little island, which was/is too small to be worth wasting an Offshore Harbour(?) on (also, I haven't built any Trading Posts yet, so I don't have the option to build the Harbour-SWs yet anyway!) so I have been unable to build Bison until very recently (see below). I did build my Granary SW on that island, expecting to be able to transport the autoproduced Wheat Sheafs back to the mainland (with both Wheat and Crabs in its BFC, the island-town needs no assistance with growth!) — but alas, those units are not loadable in v.2.91.

So I declared a little sooner than I'd intended, and enlisted most of the stronger/more advanced tribes (Goblins, Orcs, Mountain Dwarves, Frostlings and Beastmen) to help me — both to prevent Hyrell from signing them up against me, but also to damage his (tech-)trading opportunities (he was rolling in gold, presumably as a result of selling his tech-lead). I quickly retook my chokepoint town (of course, all the Cultural buildings were gone — including my Spire, which I still haven't rebuilt), Rivendelle, Wheatstalk, and even got as far as Hobbiton — despite Chokko Knights assaulting my forces from all directions.

After nearly 20 turns of war, the Hobbit attacks had finally started to wind down, when Wheatstalk flipped again — and a big stack of Taurels(?), Hobbit-catapults and 2 Green Fledges suddenly appeared on Rivendelle's borders, presumably having spent the intervening turns trekking all the way back north from the former Naga territory. That put me in a bit of a bind: there was no way I'd be able to defend Rivendelle and Hobbiton with the troops I had left, but I couldn't make peace because the Dwarven Alliance still had a couple of turns to run. (the rest of my Allies, having done the Hobbits some serious damage in their own right, had already signed peace treaties — but at least they didn't switch sides!). So to avoid taking the WW-hits from bombardment and town-loss, I gifted my conquests to the Dwarves(?) and High Elves (who were at peace with the Hobbits), and retreated my battered forces back to the chokepoint, to 'encourage' the Hobbits to come after that strongpoint instead.

In the meantime I used my accumulated Spells to bomb one of the Fledges to death, and injure the other severely enough that it could be killed, while my multiple newly-built Chakras (initially intended as cheap cannon-fodder and garrisons, after my 'strong' — and expensive! — Elephant-units got decimated) bombed any Chokkos, Taurels, Burglars and Corallers that came within range. That was a lifesaver: having killed half the catapult–escort pairs in the field, I retook Rivendelle (I think it back-flipped almost immediately after I gifted it!) and destroyed the rest of them, before making peace again, this time also demanding Fernrock, to give me a future beachhead at the far southern end of Hobbit territory.

I spent the next twenty turns building mostly units and shipping them where needed (while also weathering a few landings by the Lizardmen, who'd unilaterally declared on me during the Second Hobbit War), and then redeclared on the Hobbits — for the last time.

As of about Turn 300, I have reached the Third Age ahead of everyone (after researching Herbalism, which no-one seemed to want — including me!), and the Hobbits have bitten the dust — along with the Amazonians, who I'd first Allied against the Hobbits, and later against the Lizards. She took the Hobbits' northernmost town, along with its Spices, which became her capital after the Lizards chased her off their shared island.

And then for some bizarre reason, she agreed to an Alliance against me with the Moon Elves (who also have only one town, and were recruited by the Lizards), just before I gifted the Hobbit towns away. Since she posed no threat, I pretty much ignored her while I was dealing with the Hobbits, but then once resistance was quelled in GrandShire, a single Schooner-full of Elephants was sent north, around the Beast-held Hobbit-towns, to finish her off as well.

I am now girding myself up to evict the Beastmen from my continent (3 Hobbit-towns captured, lots of Beastigors wandering around, plus a Ruby Fledge), and hoping for flips in my favour (courtesy of the FreeShrines and FreeGardens) to allow me to avoid fighting the Mountain Dwarves (2 Hobbit-towns captured initially, only 1 remaining), the Frostlings (2 Nagahobbit-towns captured) and the Orcs (1 Highelfhobbit-town captured).
Haven't decided how I want to win this one yet, but given that the Ramas are Religious and Scientific, and I will soon have the biggest island on the map all to myself, an ICS'd 100K Cultural vic might actually be possible. Need to check the current global Cultural ratings...

Last edited:
TJS,
Thanks for this post, this was a very interesting read! Are you a writer? If not, you should be! Your game stories are always very well told, with great descriptions and drama. I can't wait to read what happens next!

Glad you had some spells to fight back the Dragon Fledges, but losing that early choke point city sounds devastating. Sounds like you had an entire navy in that city! :(

Thanks for the note about transportation of the Wheat stalks. I'll add that to my list of things to update for the next version!

Thanks for the update.

Quick question: is anyone else never close to cultural victory?

I played Blood Cult and did a million sacrifices with advanced Sacrificial Altars and lots of culture Great Wonders and didn't even close. I was like 3x better than the closest AI by the 4th era.

It just seems very unrealistic.

Hi Nwoll,
You bring up a good point here! I'm sure you know this, but will break it down anyway just in case.

Regarding global culture victory points, you are correct the cultural victory point condition is dependent on the culture gap you have between you and the 2nd best. You only need to have twice the amount of culture as the civ in 2nd place. The Empire culture limit in version 2.92 is 110,000 (only 10,000 more than default civ 3), so maybe that's a little high based on what you are experiencing.
You can also win by hitting the single-city culture requirement. I believe this is 25,000 culture points in Tides of Crimson, but I can look at reducing that (default civ 3 is 20,000). Because of the extra civ-specific culture-producing small wonders, it's generally easier to attain culture points in Tides of Crimson than in the original Civ. However, if you find that it is too hard to attain this type of victory, this is definitely something we can look into adjusting. Appreciate the insight, and I'll add that to the list of updates for the next version.

Here's what i'm thinking the next version's victory conditions might look like.

1664938251889.png

Attachments

• 1664938175091.png
    1664938175091.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Top Bottom