1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TIL: Today I Learned

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, May 24, 2013.

1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

^iirc Aristotle views taste as touch with added properties/more input. Also iirc he argues that again you cannot taste something which (impossibly) would have been placed on your tongue leaving no space for watery particles of it to be manifested (or something along those lines) so at least the definition of when no sense is picked up seems consistent. Afterall you pick no sense of your own skin with that area below it either.

Kaitzilla likes this.
  2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

TIL that you can't feel your own dead skin, and you can't taste your own spit.

3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Ημ, obviously meaning that you dont feel the skin area with the specific sensory area beneath it... :p i doubt ari was unaware you can, like, touch with some other skin area.

4. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Don't remember if they show it in the video, but the method I've learned is to take the screwdriver, and hammer (the screwdriver) into the three depressions/eyeholes, then take the hammer and tap in a straight line around the coconut, which creates fissures and eventually pops the coconut open.

The_J likes this.
  5. Timsup2nothin

But do you put the lime in the coconut?

Birdjaguar likes this.
  6. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Master of Darkness

I can't see the video (being at work and yt is blocked ;) ) I got a straw in the eyehole, drank the milk and hammered away . I haven't thought about a screwdriver. :hmm: I have thought about putinng it in the fire for it to crack or using an electric saw. I wonder if it would explode like a grenade if not open'd before :D

7. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Before I really notice I catched the flu, I notice it from the changed taste of my saliva.

8. Timsup2nothin

Yeah, but consider...do you really think of it as "changed taste of saliva," or as "a funny taste in my mouth"? One acknowledges that the saliva did in fact have a taste to begin with, but I think most people will think about it the other way.

9. Timsup2nothin

Thanks for the like @Birdjaguar, but please tell me that we are not the only ones...ahem...with sufficient temporal perspective...to get the reference.

10. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

I would hate to think so, Tim. And, yes, that did earn you the like. :)

11. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

You might want to call a doctor in the morning and ask about it.

Timsup2nothin and Birdjaguar like this.
  12. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

13. Owen Glyndwr

It's actually fairly simple. If you feel around the coconut, you'll notice three ridges (the places where the seed has fused together), and if you hit one of those with a hammer (make sure you've drained all the water first!), a fissure will form along the equator emanating from where you hit. If you hit all three, those fissures will join up, and it will naturally split in half. No sawz-all or fire necessary.

14. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

What would happen if you dropped a coconut off a tall building?

15. Owen Glyndwr

This:

16. Timsup2nothin

That's a special case. More generally, it will severely dent a car or kill a pedestrian.

17. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

I never really thought that through. I only know that it warns me 1-2 days ahead of a flu and that phrasing of a different saliva is how I stored that link to myself.

Saliva contains a lot of usefull stuff. Not only amylase to break down starch, but also anti-viral and anti-microbial components.

And why would that overall composition always be the same ? Assuming that your body will optimise the composition for the detected needs of the moment. And not waste energy on making the wrong components.
    => It seemed only natural, I think, for me to assume that the saliva changes anyway. But I can't remember, because that assumption is as old as I recognised that link long time ago.

That your taste changes as well, makes, come to think about it, sense as well. When you are sick you (whatever is in our instincts for that) want to adapt your food.

18. Timsup2nothin

As a wild guess, changes in the taste of saliva are generally slight, and gradual enough that the owner doesn't notice them. I'm guessing that experimentation involving taste tests of other people's spit is probably in order, but difficult to organize.

19. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Well
    I never did such experiments. I just noted the difference.

And meanwhile a lot older and some knowledge accumulated.

*** Our body needs nitrites. Quite important. But in a dosed manner.
    Our body will eat nitrates and will add those nitrates to our saliva at the rate of nitrites needed at that moment. The oral bacteria convert the nitrates in nitrites.
    The taste of nitrates is significant strong enough to notice (salty).

*** One of the reasons kissing exists.... is that you taste the saliva of your kissing partner. Hormones have a big influuence on the kind of saliva (pregnant women have often more saliva production). The assumed reason for kissing is that it enables to taste how much that other person is attracted to you. And yes.. kissing releases hormones.

It would really surprise me if that taste is not perceived. If not at conscious than at subconscious level.

MaryKB and The_J like this.
  20. Timsup2nothin

Oh, I'm sure it's detected by the detection apparatus, then filtered. Just like I know that my eyes are picking up light reflected off my nose just like they are picking up light reflected off my keyboard, but I don't see my nose. I also don't hear the blood flow that vibrates my eardrums.