TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I learned that hardboiled eggs really aren't supposed to smell like sulfur unless you overcook them. I guess my mother is just that bad at it.

cooking eggs is an art :)

The Nordics and the Baltics both have unicameral legislatures. Not sure what to conclude from that.

The Nordics and the Baltics both have unicameral legislatures. Not sure what to conclude from that.

Up to our Nordic and Baltic CIVmates

Perhaps they were "strong and stable" already with their unicameral "Things" from old Germanic and Viking period ?
We had in NL also our "Ding" until the Burgundians and Habsburgians took effect on our traditions.

Today I learned that hardboiled eggs really aren't supposed to smell like sulfur unless you overcook them. I guess my mother is just that bad at it.
The eggs might just already have been rotten.

But if you cook them long enough; You can use them as bouncy balls!

Today I learned my fears about being overweight aren't just in my head.

The whole point of being accurate is to be annoying (I live by JollyRoger's standards).

And, Mary, given what fear is, it only exists in your head.

Mary, if you saw someone on the street who looked like you and had your body type, would you think they're fat and ugly?

Reading the second chapter of Aristotle's book on defining the psyche, i read that he claims sound is created not when vibrations in the air reach the ear drum itself but when said altered air reaches a supposed locked next to the ear drum air. This he claims for sake of continuity with his general theory about movement, where an alteration has to itself cause the end result when it reaches its manifest destiny; termed "entelecheia", a neologism of Aristotle's.
Eg the entelecheia of sound is to be heard, and of events able to cause sound to indeed cause it, and so on, in the same way that the entelecheia of copper is to be used in a statue.
Aristotle examines the senses here because he wants to divide the faculties of the psyche to more primary ones as well as the faculty of reasoning.
Chapter 3 should have something of philosophical interest, though, cause there he discusses movement as a notion.

I like some of the bits by presocratics he refers to, eg the pythagorian claim that psyche is what mobilises (enables?) sense of number, ie differentiation. This is also an aphorism by anaxagoras (that the mind -nous- is what divides things).

I am shocked! Shocked, I say! Who would have thought a prominent anti-gay Christian was secretly gay?
Grauniad said:
Man who worked as top 'conversion therapist' comes out as gay
A prominent “conversion therapy” advocate, David Matheson, has come out as gay after spending what he said were decades of his life entrenched in homophobia.
Matheson was a practitioner of the practice also known as “ex-gay therapy” or reparative therapy”, which promotes the false idea that being gay is something that should, and can, be “cured”. These therapies have been denounced by major medical bodies including the American Medical Association, American Psychological Association and the UK’s National Health Service.

Matheson said he knew his work had helped some people, but was certain he had hurt some people too.

“Not that I would excuse myself, but any shortcomings I had as a therapist came from too narrow a view of what ‘emotionally healthy’ can look like.” Matheson said on Facebook. “They came from my own homophobia and narrow-mindedness. I am truly sorry for those flaws and the harm they have surely caused some people. And I’m sorry for the confusion and pain my choice may be causing others.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...mer-gay-conversion-therapy-advocate-comes-out
In other news, bears crap in woods, celebrities have sex, and the Pope is Catholic.

I wonder what kind of scandal there would be if the Pope confessed to not actually being Catholic.

Today I learned that there are are a few places in the U.S. actually named Podunk.

I was more curious about the etymology of the term but I found that funny.

TIL combined yearly CO2 emission of all vulcanos are at about 0.65Gt/a. In comparison CO2 emission caused by use of fossile fuel is about 29Gt/a.
Large vulcanic eruptions like Mount st. Helens are between 10-50Mt.
=> it is worth about 15h of normal fossile fuel consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom