TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from the fact that you're four weeks later to the party, it is a very interesting development, yes. The teaser is extremely gory though, almost nauseatingly so.

TIL that a Pedometer is and it's not what i thought it was.:shifty:

And that's one of the many reasons why Noah Webster did a bad thing with New World English.

And that's one of the many reasons why Noah Webster did a bad thing with New World English.

That term makes no sense. In greek it is rendered as "bematometro". How does step translate to "pedo" at all? :/ There is the ending -pedic, but that has zero relation to the term for child (which anyway should have been paedo, not pedo).
Even if you take -pedic for "leg", it isn't really a good translation for a step. Bematometer would have been fine, imo.

TIL Baldurs Gate III is happening :)
On one hand, I love just about everything Larian has made. On the other, I don't like the D&D ruleset....
If they do use the D&D ruleset, I hope to god they make it turnbased like, you know, D&D ACTUALLY IS.

Also, how have I never heard of this lady before?
African-American dancer, born into poverty in St Louis, ended up in France where she was officially employed by the French government as a spy, later served the Free French, received the Legion of Honor from Charles de Gaulle, was a civil rights activist, became friends with Princess Grace of Monaco, and gave a speech in the March on Washington wearing her Free French uniform and awards.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephine_Baker

That term makes no sense. In greek it is rendered as "bematometro". How does step translate to "pedo" at all? :/ There is the ending -pedic, but that has zero relation to the term for child (which anyway should have been paedo, not pedo).
Even if you take -pedic for "leg", it isn't really a good translation for a step. Bematometer would have been fine, imo.
There's ‘podómetro’ (ποδόμετρο) in Greek, according to Wiktionary.

Erika's confusion would likely never have occurred if Americans still spelt paediatrician etc. in the traditional fashion, which was the point of my comment.

Blame the French, actually.

What have the French to do with Webster's dubious spelling reforms?

Erika's confusion would likely never have occurred if Americans still spelt paediatrician etc. in the traditional fashion, which was the point of my comment.

Indeed, it is highly debatable whether paediatrician (assuming you mean the doctor who focuses on legs functioning correctly) should be spelled that way. Here you can find it both with pai (from child; cause he deals with children, inevitably - that is the crucial time period for leg development) or pe (from pous, ie leg). The latter makes far more sense. Maybe those who spell it with pai here were influenced by 'Merica (eg studied there for an MA or whatever, or just follow english medical journals).

A paediatrician is who focuses on children's medicine; a podiatrist is one who focuses on feet and ankles.

Even in Greece, you've adopted a Latinised spelling for a Greek-derived term? How the mighty have fallen. :p

Bring back Katharevousa now!

Unsure. At any rate (obviously) we don't measure stuff in feet.
Well, hodometers are not restricted to measuring streets.
Bring back Katharevousa now!
Being a man of the people, I cannot but disparage your sudden support for adding random unpronounced diacritics to text.

I don't care about the diacritics - I just want Modern Greek to sound more like Attic Greek so that it matches better in my head. ;)

I don't care about the diacritics - I just want Modern Greek to sound more like Attic Greek so that it matches better in my head. ;)

It's not that bad, because most of the demotike changes were in effect cancelled, cause they allowed for the older types too and the newer ones just sound lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom