TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1931, Perth's population was still under 100,000. An emu will feed about 10 people. That's a lot of people eating emus for several days straight.

If 10 people are eating 1 emu a day, that's 10,000 people eating 1,000 emus a day. Or 100,000 people eating 20,000 emus in 2 days.

This sounds doable to me. :dunno:

Why didn't the people just eat them?
Enough to eat some emus.
People had guns, i suppose.
But Emus scare easily. So it's not easy to hit one before they bolt in the first place.
And if you do chances are it will still bolt. May die later. You are still -1 bullet +0 meat.
And the others will be back tomorrow and continue to destroy your stuff.

So you need people to go after them, follow them, as a full time job, basically.
After the Emu War they had a bounty system which was pretty much an unmitigated success.

If 10 people are eating 1 emu a day, that's 10,000 people eating 1,000 emus a day. Or 100,000 people eating 20,000 emus in 2 days.

This sounds doable to me. :dunno:

That's the entire population going on an all emu all the time diet for two days. It's doable, but is it practical?

It's not healthy to eat that much emu either.

I was kinda dubious about the idea that ten people could actually eat an emu in the first place, but took your word for it. Now I've found this:

Wikipedia said:
Emus weigh between 18 and 60 kg (40 and 132 lb).

I mean, ten of me could eat an average one, for sure, but I could have made a career out of eating contests and even I dunno if I could do my share with a 60kg bird.

I was kinda dubious about the idea that ten people could actually eat an emu in the first place, but took your word for it. Now I've found this:

I mean, ten of me could eat an average one, for sure, but I could have made a career out of eating contests and even I dunno if I could do my share with a 60kg bird.
Much of that weight is feathers and stuff. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if they feed more than ten people.

Much of that weight is feathers and stuff. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if they feed more than ten people.

Apparently with chickens and turkeys dressed weight is about 70% of standing weight. So that big ol' emu at 60kg dresses out at about 42kg...90 pounds. If I get an 18 pound (dressed) turkey for Thanksgiving I'll need my whole family to knock that sucker down. If I had five of them...or one emu...I could feed my whole block.

:eek:

They may not be reputedly tasty, but I'd give it a shot.

Apparently with chickens and turkeys dressed weight is about 70% of standing weight. So that big ol' emu at 60kg dresses out at about 42kg...90 pounds. If I get an 18 pound (dressed) turkey for Thanksgiving I'll need my whole family to knock that sucker down. If I had five of them...or one emu...I could feed my whole block.

:eek:

They may not be reputedly tasty, but I'd give it a shot.
I suspect the emu is probably closer to 50% dressed weight. Big beak, big legs, looks like an angry tree. It's still a big bird though.

They're very high in protein. Good if you're a bodybuilder or athlete. But that much protein does weird things to your body. Probably fine for once a week, but I would never recommend eating them more often than that.

And really, they taste bloody disgusting. Kangaroo is much better.

That average is highly skewed by the idiots who would try to shake a vending machine for any possible reason.
I didn't know Matt Groening's creations were inspired by real life even in that regard.

I remember the time, the 60ies, that Japan became the leading nation to build ships, much to the disadvantage of also Dutch shipbuilding in especially Rotterdam. Half the family of my father worked there.
The massive Japanese steel industry one of the factors enabling that. When that steel industry advanced to higher grades and thinner sheets, it became an important factor for the rise of the Japanese car industry.

TIL that Korea has done the same with Japan.

From Reuters:

KOREA RULES THE WAVES
With its dominance in new orders, this share will increase.
Virtually all the LNG from new projects in the Russian Arctic, Papua New Guinea, Australia, the United States, East Africa or Qatar will be delivered on South Korean ships made near the cities of Busan and Ulsan on the country’s southern coast.
Including floating LNG storage and support vessels, ship brokerage Braemar estimates South Korean yards have bagged 78 percent of all LNG-related orders this year, with just 14 percent and 8 percent going to Japan and China, respectively.
South Korean shipyards have boxed out their Japanese rivals from the market for building large ships carrying liquefied natural gas (LNG), winning all of the orders for the next three years worth more than $9 billion.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...r-market-to-hold-for-years-idUSKCN1NP001?il=0

Today I learned that the fourth and last stage in (most) males's lives in Hinduism - the wandering ascetic or renouncer - can occur at any time in one's life. One does not have to wait! I consider myself an ascetic so these are welcome news! It means Hinduism becomes more relevant to me, which is very good as it is from there we got the concept.

If you read ascetic = complete idiot, you should try it for yourself before you pass a judgment! ^_^

Of course I do it somewhat my own way, not precisely the Hindu way...

In Windows 7 at least (I suspect the same might work for 10), if you get a window stuck off-screen, shift-right-click the taskbar button, click move, and press an arrow key. It should pop back onto screen.

How do you even get it off the screen in the first place?

Today I learned that the fourth and last stage in (most) males's lives in Hinduism - the wandering ascetic or renouncer - can occur at any time in one's life. One does not have to wait! I consider myself an ascetic so these are welcome news! It means Hinduism becomes more relevant to me, which is very good as it is from there we got the concept.

If you read ascetic = complete idiot, you should try it for yourself before you pass a judgment! ^_^

Of course I do it somewhat my own way, not precisely the Hindu way...

When I was a teenager I had that in mind for when I was 60.
As a young adult my insatiable hunger to live my life to the fullest, sleeping a couple of hours a day at most, I said to myself "when I die at 50, I will still have lived more than someone else that dies at 100. So what"
And besides the responsibilities of raising my two kids, as it happened I was more like a traveller my whole life. Travelling light.... which goes well with the combi of dedication and ascetic... without ever really aiming for it. Just following the path for me.

Apparently the reason car ads keep slipping through Google's ad preferences on the YouTube app is because third-parties unscrupulously misclassify their ads. I wonder if I should be reporting this to Google.

Wait, there are ad preferences in the YouTube app? I just keep getting adverts for online bingo sites I'll never use and thinking "so it goes".

As a young adult my insatiable hunger to live my life to the fullest, sleeping a couple of hours a day at most, I said to myself "when I die at 50, I will still have lived more than someone else that dies at 100. So what"

I thought the same thing. Then I discovered amphetamines and said "if I don't sleep at all then all I have to do is make it to forty and I'm money ahead." Now I'm past forty and fifty and I'm pretty sure I've still wasted far less of my life on sleep than would be considered normal. Sirsasana vastly reduces the need for sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom