1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Timelines, Dates and Eras

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Praetyre, Jan 20, 2012.

1. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

@Praetyre:
    Doing a little more research on the whole "making tech progression in line with history" idea, I saw several different saves from SO that had him reaching the Transhuman Era on around turn 900, on Epic Gamespeed. Epic has an <iResearchPercent> of 150 in the files, so I figure, adjusting for having more time to build stuff and such, that a suitable modifier for Eternity for research would be 1500. For Snail I would multiply that number by 0.6, for a value of 900. What say you on this matter?

2. stolenrays

stolenrays Deity

So you adding to the sdk for
    Code:
    CALENDAR_DAYS
    ? How far along are you? I had already started on doing that and even
    Code:
    CALENDAR_HOURS

3. Praetyre

Praetyre King

That could make for a good start; I will note, though, that in my current tests with nothing but cosmetic date changes to Eternity, I reach the end of Prehistoric with all turns played by me and me in the lead by about turn 1000, so this trend may not extrapolate so neatly. Another big factor will be the disease system and realistic city populations, as well as my building and cultural proposals. Still, it never hurts to try...

4. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

I have not actually added an additional calendar but instead rewritten the way the default calendar works so it can deal with day increments.

5. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

The new code is on the SVN now. iDayIncrement is the new tag and it can be used at the same time as iMonthIncrement so you can progress time by 1 month and 14 days or something similar.

6. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Which calendar option did you end up using, ie. how many days are in C2C months/years?

7. Praetyre

Praetyre King

So how does one go about using weekly turns in the game speed file? Do you simply replace the <iMonthIncrement> where appropriate or is there some further assembly required?

8. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

365 days a year split up on the months like it is in reality in a non leap year.

@Praetyre: A week would be <iDayIncrement>7</iDayIncrement> with either no month tag or iMonthIncrement of 0.
    1 month 2 weeks would be <iMonthIncrement>1</iMonthIncrement> and <iDayIncrement>14</iDayIncrement>.

9. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

ahaha now that makes alot of sense:p

10. Praetyre

Praetyre King

So my game speed plan would thus consist of adding these lines between <GameTurnInfos> and </GameTurnInfos> in the game speed file?

Spoiler :
    <GameTurnInfo>
    <iMonthIncrement>480</iMonthIncrement>
    <iTurnsPerIncrement>1000</iTurnsPerIncrement>
    </GameTurnInfo>
    <GameTurnInfo>
    <iMonthIncrement>240</iMonthIncrement>
    <iTurnsPerIncrement>200</iTurnsPerIncrement>
    </GameTurnInfo>
    <GameTurnInfo>
    <iMonthIncrement>192</iMonthIncrement>
    <iTurnsPerIncrement>125</iTurnsPerIncrement>
    </GameTurnInfo>
    <GameTurnInfo>
    <iMonthIncrement>96</iMonthIncrement>
    <iTurnsPerIncrement>125</iTurnsPerIncrement>
    </GameTurnInfo>
    <GameTurnInfo>
    <iMonthIncrement>48</iMonthIncrement>
    <iTurnsPerIncrement>250</iTurnsPerIncrement>
    </GameTurnInfo>
    <GameTurnInfo>
    <iMonthIncrement>24</iMonthIncrement>
    <iTurnsPerIncrement>600</iTurnsPerIncrement>
    </GameTurnInfo>
    <GameTurnInfo>
    <iMonthIncrement>12</iMonthIncrement>
    <iTurnsPerIncrement>2300</iTurnsPerIncrement>
    </GameTurnInfo>
    <GameTurnInfo>
    <iMonthIncrement>3</iMonthIncrement>
    <iTurnsPerIncrement>1400</iTurnsPerIncrement>
    </GameTurnInfo>
    <GameTurnInfo>
    <iDayIncrement>14</iDayIncrement>
    <iTurnsPerIncrement>6500</iTurnsPerIncrement>
    </GameTurnInfo>

11. BlueTemplar

BlueTemplar Prince

Your premise is flawed. You cannot ensure that the speed of technological progress will be exactly the same in all different games (and speeds). There are too many factors. For instance tech brokering increases the tech progression a LOT. The date as it is done in Civ4 currently is bound to diverge from the techs the more the game progresses.

What's worse, you're taking it completely ass-backwards and want to change parameters that are very important for gameplay like research and growth rates to cater to a completely cosmetic feature!

These two sentences contradict themselves. You spend a LOT less time on a game turn in Prehistoric when you only have one city compared to Modern when you have, say, 50 of them...

IMHO the date should NOT be linked to any arbitrary amount of turns, but rather to the techs : once a tech is researched (and maybe if a wonder is built) by a civilization (anywhere in the world), the date advances to correspond to the historical date of that tech.
    No more problems with the atom bomb in the 1600s, and your energy can be spent on a more useful venture like for instance tweaking the growth / research costs so that the castles don't go obsolete too fast.

12. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

@Praetyre: There is a </iMonthIncrement> where the end tag for the day increment should be </iDayIncrement>

13. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Important:

I have added my new system, overhauling the Gamespeed for Eternity and Snail. The Eternity Speed now has 14550 turns, a slight increase, but it's research rates have been increased to keep tech in line with this, more or less. Snail now has 7225 turns, 1/2 of Eternity, a decent decrease in turns. All of their numbers for scaling have been adjusted down accordingly.

Any and all balance feedback is requested and valued, as this is still a test, and I will probably make a better version before V22.

Thanks very much to Praetyre for the initial work an support on this, and to AIAndy for making it possible in the DLL.

14. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

What about going to -200000 or -50000 as start date right away?

15. stolenrays

stolenrays Deity

16. BlueGenie

BlueGenie Emperor

Quick feedback on the new Eternity Speed: I did a test start on the largest map size (which increases research times too) and Deity Diff (also increase in research times) and you probably need to tweak unit building up a notch, just one, maybe buildings building one notch too, and research needs to be lowered a few %.

Reasoning:
    I spent most of the first 500 turns building units which I then promptly disbanded for cash since that gave more income than building Lesser Wealth.
    I could do that because I had built all the buildings I had available rather fast compared to the speed of researching, or lack thereof.
    500 turns in, yes I know it's Eternity, and I've only just managed to get Herbalism, Tracking, Oral Tradition and Shelter Building (and all techs needed to get those, of course).
    I did go for the options for more research as soon as I could, and myths of course. Only luck with animals could have gotten me there faster. *grin*

Cheers

Edit: Forgot to mention that Golden Ages probably should be increased slightly too, maybe about 25% more than current timing.
    Reason is that if everything takes that much longer to get to then Golden Ages are equally less effective.

Cheers

17. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

I fear I did not mark it properly so merging is probably not that easy.
    Best is to download the entire source part of the SVN so you can use Visual Studio to search for references in the project.
    Start from the new files CvDate.h and CvDate.cpp and search for references to the classes and methods in there.

18. stolenrays

stolenrays Deity

Thanks for the information. What I'm trying to do is make a mod and have it use turns by the day. I figure I can just use your mods for the day and change the worldbuilder file to the year/turn(day) I want to start from?

19. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

I have not looked into the worldbuilder file reading so there is a chance that there is still some bug there.
    I mainly changed the way the default calendar works so days can progress between turns, not only months or years, according to the gamespeed info XML.

20. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with all those statements, as I forgot to mess with them in the first place;). I'll probably be committing a new gamespeedinfos file at the end of the freeze with all the fixes I'm planning.