Today I Learned #2: Gone for a Wiki Walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't recall saying you couldn't, so please yourself.

At least we all speak better English than the British do. :mischief:
But do you all speak English? A lot of you speak Spanish. Some of you still speak French. For all I know, there may be some town out West where you still speak Swedish. No generalisations are possible!

But do you all speak English? A lot of you speak Spanish. Some of you still speak French. For all I know, there may be some town out West where you still speak Swedish. No generalisations are possible!

I fail to see how someone in Minnesota who speaks only Swedish isn't still speaking English better than the British do.

I dunno, the people in America have funny accents. Not sure who speaks better English, but my money is on the Brits. They invented it. :p

The English also invented association football, but they still end up losing to Croatia.
They also lost their first ever encounter against the U.S. of A. and they drew their second and -to date- last one 1-1 in 2010. :D

I dunno, the people in America have funny accents. Not sure who speaks better English, but my money is on the Brits. They invented it. :p

I wonder when the American accent first developed.

Slowly, slowly from the first colonisation efforts nearly half a millennium ago. Of course, Australia is the result of the British Empire criminalising poverty and sending all the Cockneys there.

Hot new favourite for the next Ignobel Prizes!

Projectile Trajectory of Penguin’s Faeces and Rectal Pressure Revisited, Hiroyuki Tajima and Fumiya Fujisawa
Abstract
We discuss a trajectory of penguins’ faeces after the powerful shooting due to their strong rectal pressure.
pp.png

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2007.00926.pdf

Today I learned about bradyphrenia, or 'slowness of thought.' It's seen in Parkinson's Disease, Alzheimer's Disease, Huntington's Disease, and schizophrenia. And in people overdosing on heroin apparently.

Kind of related to this is sluggish cognitive tempo which is related to ADHD but there's some controversy about it.

I don't recall saying you couldn't, so please yourself.
It's implied.

You're excused.
Not sure which way to take this. It doesn't sound friendly.

There's a rural community in Alberta where my grandparents lived for many years before moving first to BC, and then back to Alberta where they finally ended up in the county and then the city of Red Deer. Most of the people in that Alberta community came from Sweden at various times; my great-grandparents homesteaded there before WWI, and my grandparents lived there until some time in the '40s. Nearly everyone there spoke Swedish to some extent; it was my grandmother's first language, and she didn't start learning English until she started school. I'm the first generation who didn't grow up learning at least some Swedish, and I really had to nag and plead with my grandfather to teach me any of it. His reasoning was that "I'm in Canada and in Canada we speak English."

Yet he received cards and letters from his sister in Sweden, and I felt excluded by not being able to read them. So he gave in and taught me a little - at least enough to get the gist, if not the full meaning of them.

As for that rural community, I should think that the Swedish influence on English has been steadily decreasing with each subsequent generation. One of my high school teachers asked if my family was from Sweden because he detected an accent in certain words and phrases I used. I explained that I was raised by grandparents whose first language was Swedish, and they were largely the ones who had first taught me to read.

That's dropped off a lot, though, in the years since they died and I was no longer exposed to that accent on a daily basis.

I remember that catchphrase.

Along the road to Armadillo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom