Tolkien's Middle-Earth Modpack

I am confused about how I should backup my game if I get this mod
Just make a copy of your Civ III directory before you install the mod. After you've installed the mod, rename the Civ III directory to LotR or something, then rename the backup copy you made back to "Civilization III". Then, make a shortcut on your Start Menu (or desktop, or whatever) for the LotR version so you can launch it. This lets you play either regular or the modded version. Works great!
{BTW: The installer prompts for the install directory, but just ignore that and leave it the way it is. No matter what you put in that field, it will always install to "C:\Program Files\Infogrames\Civilization III" so if you installed Civ III in another directory, you'll have to copy it there anyway before you run the install. Make sure you have plenty of disk space B4 you start!}
:rolleyes:

The last comment is worth repeating: lots of disk space.

Originally posted by Lucky Dragon

Just make a copy of your Civ III directory berfore you install the mod. After you've installed the mod, rename the Civ III directory to LotR or something, then rename the backup copy you mave back to "Civilization III". Then, make a shortcut on your Start Menu (or desktop, or whatever) for the LotR version so you can launch it. This lets you play either regular or the modded version. Works great!
{BTW: The installer prompts for the install directory, but just ignore that and leave it the way it is. No matter what you put in that field, it will always install to "C:\Program Files\Infogrames\Civilization III" so if you installed Civ III in another directory, you'll have to copy it there anyway before you run the install. Make sure you have plenty of disk space B4 you start!}
:rolleyes:

I've just recently been trying to figure out why the installer is ignoring the directory option. I'm not going to spent too much time with this problem however as I'll be using a different installer program altogether. Hopefully the problem will disappear with the old installer. :)

Eclipse

Hey Eclipse, I want to start off by saying you are awesome. ;) Great mod! :D

Now if only I could play it... :p I'm having the same problem WhiteKnight (I think that's his name) was having. I followed all the downloading instructions, and I got it to the start up page, but for some reason when I click on new game, it just makes the sound. What do I need to do to fix this problem?

EDIT: I don't have the latest patch... Could that be the problem?

Originally posted by Eclipse
v0.2beta - 05/08/02

•16 civilizations from M.E.
•Accurate city naming (500+ in all)
•80+ new units, all with unique paletting and/or sizing
•New Leaderhead animations and graphics
•10 governments available*
•Civilopedia updated with unit, government, and race info*
•Era Splashes
•New City screen & view graphics
•unit_32 updated
•Revised smallhead graphics

*still needs work

Hmmm... The new city screen&view graphics didn't work with me, neither did the Era splashes.
Will there be new advisor head graphics?
And it's a bit funny to play as the Hobbits and the cities look like some native South-American ones...
Anyway, great mod!

Wizard

Originally posted by Jedi_Master201
EDIT: I don't have the latest patch... Could that be the problem?

off course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Sorry this is a little of topic but does anyone know if it is possible to edit pcx files with MGI photosuite for windows?

You should if the software will save as a .pcx file type. Not all graphics programs will. Check your "Save as" options with a known file.

Originally posted by Ralendil

off course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Ok. :p Now, as someone else just posted something off-topic, I have something that is off-topic.

Why isn't anything working? I downloaded the bloody patch, but the game won't start now. I keep having to uninstall and then re-install the original version of the game.

Then I tried to install the patch alone, after uninstalling the original version. Everything was working, but when I tried to re-install the Middle-earth mod, it wouldn't load the game.

So what's the deal? :p

Essentially, I am asking how to properly install the newest patch while still having the ME mod on the game.

EDIT: Okay, I just uninstalled the ME mod, and started up the game with the 1.21F patch. It worked. I then re-installed the ME mod, and then clicked on the game. It wouldn't load. :(

Ralendil told me to post suggestions & ideas, so here's some:

Civilization stuff like:
Build often:
Hobbits:
-Offensive ground units:rolleyes: (Hobbits like peace and quiet)

Mordai:
-Naval units (Somewere I read that they don't like water and seas...)

City outlook:
It's a bit funny to play as the Hobbits and your cities look like Inca towns...

Just wondering, when will version 1 be released?

Wizard

Hey, this is weird...
I did some stuff, re-installed Civ3 and M-E Mod.
My old saves don't work. Every time I try to play it crashes. It does go to the game screen, but then KABOOM! It just stops. Had to start a new game, it works...

Wizard

Hey, where is everyone? Nobody else than me have been posting here for a while

Wizard

Originally posted by Wizard
Ralendil told me to post suggestions & ideas, so here's some:

Civilization stuff like:
Build often:
Hobbits:
-Offensive ground units:rolleyes: (Hobbits like peace and quiet)

Mordai:
-Naval units (Somewere I read that they don't like water and seas...)

City outlook:
It's a bit funny to play as the Hobbits and your cities look like Inca towns...

Just wondering, when will version 1 be released?

Wizard
These are great suggestions! I went back through my notes on each Civ and realized I hadn't gotten to the Civ Unit build preferences yet. What you're seeing is likely the preferences of the original civs before I started modifying.

You'll have to excuse my tardiness on releasing the version 1. The company I work for has it's fiscal year end in June and I have been tasked with two months of work for the last two weeks of June! I'm still working on it, albeit very little, whenever I have a spare minute. To give you an example of my work habits, I'd arrived early to a customer meeting and had five minutes to work on the new resources for the mod. The customer glanced at my notes and wondered what the hell I was working on. :lol:

It WILL be released despite how long it's been up until now. It's just a matter of when. And again, I do apologize for the flakey install package, but as I'd mentioned I'm switching to another program altogether for the next release.

Thanks for the support! :goodjob:

Eclipse

Originally posted by Wizard

Hmmm... The new city screen&view graphics didn't work with me, neither did the Era splashes.
Will there be new advisor head graphics?
And it's a bit funny to play as the Hobbits and the cities look like some native South-American ones...
Anyway, great mod!

Wizard
This is strange. I'm looking at the install right now and it definitely includes updated files. The changes are mild (not entirely recreated graphics, but updated to reflect a pre-industrial society). Check the dates on the files in question. You should find that they are mainly from April or May instead of October.

do i have to put in the cd-rom to play the mod?
Unfortunately, yes. The only way around this is to use a no-CD version of Civ 3, which you can get from Infogrames if the SafeDisc copy protection won't work with your particular model of CD drive. OR you can do a search on the internet--there are some sites that have that version available for DL.

ahh.. that sucks.. do you know any sites in which you can get no-cd cracks for version v.21.
if so, please list the sites.

rjgo

Eclipse when the next version?

Lol
Srry...

Don't forget to sleep a little sometimes....

Top Bottom