Trump nominated for Peace Prize.

Yes.

What’s he actually nominated for? Is there anything
specific being touted?

MIdeast peace.

He's the first mentally handicapped person to be elected into office, which is pretty damn impressive, considering that America just recently elected the first black president. I was hoping we could get this going and elect a woman next, but it looks like we're going to be running into a combo breaker in the fall
Don't be silly Biden was elected to office before Trump. If you mean elected President, then you have not taken an impartial look at what Trump's administration has done the last four years. As Polonius says in Hamlet, "Though this be madness, yet there is method in't."

What’s he actually nominated for? Is there anything specific being touted?
Trump has proven very good at foreign policy.

Focusing on Iran as the principal instigator of unrest in the region has born fruit. Treating Israel as part of the solution rather than part of the problem has born fruit. On a global scale, similar things apply to China.

J

Don't be silly Biden was elected to office before Trump. If you mean elected President, then you have not taken an impartial look at what Trump's administration has done the last four years.

Focusing on Iran as the principal instigator of unrest in the region has born fruit. Treating Israel as part of the solution rather than part of the problem has born fruit. On a global scale, similar things apply to China.

J

So? No?

Trump has only been good on foreign policy in the eyes of racist and xenophobic dogs. Israel is a source of the problem. Acting like an apartheid state will mean no matter who they make peace with (this whole thing was just confirming a status who arrangement anyways l), Israel is a problem.

As Polonius says in Hamlet, "Though this be madness, yet there is method in't."
Either that or "for, to define true madness, /What is 't but to be nothing else but mad?"

Don't be silly Biden was elected to office before Trump. If you mean elected President, then you have not taken an impartial look at what Trump's administration has done the last four years. As Polonius says in Hamlet, "Though this be madness, yet there is method in't."

I mean, I didn't comment on any of his administration's achievements, I was merely commenting on his mental handicap and how brave the American people are for electing someone with a mental deficiency into office. As far as I know this has never happened before in the west, if we're talking about modern times anyway.

And yeah, I did mean the office of the president! I mistyped

If by "very good" you mean the exact opposite of what those words mean, then I'll agree with you!

Sitting up here in Canada (if you remember, we used to be America's best friend), I fail to see that he even has a foreign policy. There really isn't one. It's just an old man yelling at passing clouds.

So? No? Trump has only been good on foreign policy in the eyes of racist and xenophobic dogs. Israel is a source of the problem. Acting like an apartheid state will mean no matter who they make peace with (this whole thing was just confirming a status who arrangement anyways l), Israel is a problem.
That's a pretty antisemitic statement.

Where does apartheid come into it? Israel is not ruled by a minority.

If by "very good" you mean the exact opposite of what those words mean, then I'll agree with you!
It means that the nomination for the Peace Prize is well deserved.

J

UAE and Bahrain would be in the win columns, if we were counting. Ignoring Yemen and speeding up AGW count as losses.
He's literally drone-striking in Somalia, obfuscating civilian causalities, and then condemning the concept of accepting Somali refugees in Michigan, so that's a huge, huge count against him.

Any American president winning this prize is a joke, past or present. But Trump? You might as well give an oscar to a 12 year old youtuber
what makes you think roosevelt and winston didn't deserve it (latter's ploy didn't work out in the end, but it was still a good shot)

I admit there might have been some good apples there in the bag of bad ones. I would have to read about those guys more to really say how I feel about them. I also admit I was speaking brashly and sort of had modern times in mind, i.e. anything since ww2 or whatever

J

J, as an intelligent human being you do have to admit that Trumps literal murder of Qasem Soleimani was a completely horrible foreign policy move (Soleimani, btw, who was literally the US' biggest ally in the fight against ISIS and is a genuine national hero).

It It strengthened anti-America sentiments in the entire Shia muslim world. It strengthened anti-American factions and extremist factions inside of Iran. It broke off a relationship that was starting to heal. It fueled a national conspiracy, which exists in Iran ever since the British-American Coup almost 100 years ago. It also fueled tensions between Iran and Israel, and lastly between Iran and its neighbors. It also made the USA in general seem entirely erratic. It achieved absolutely nothing, strategically.

This is just one example of a generally horrible foreign policy that alienates most of the world, but especially those that America has wronged before.

J, as an intelligent human being you do have to admit that Trumps literal murder of Qasem Soleimani was a completely horrible foreign policy move (Soleimani, btw, who was literally the US' biggest ally in the fight against ISIS and is a genuine national hero).

It It strengthened anti-America sentiments in the entire Shia muslim world. It strengthened anti-American factions and extremist factions inside of Iran. It broke off a relationship that was starting to heal. It fueled a national conspiracy, which exists in Iran ever since the British-American Coup almost 100 years ago. It also fueled tensions between Iran and Israel, and lastly between Iran and its neighbors. It also made the USA in general seem entirely erratic. It achieved absolutely nothing, strategically.

This is just one example of a generally horrible foreign policy that alienates most of the world, but especially those that America has wronged before.

Thing is, neither US, Israeli or Iranian governments want peace. For them, the other side is a carefully cultivated convenient enemy. The killing of Soleimani was a calculated message to the Iranian government. If they keep stepping their activity against US and their allies, as they did in recent years, they'll become targets. They got the message, which is evidenced by their token response that was nothing more than saving face, and went back to the usual saber rattling. The worst thing that came out of it was that some people in Iranian military didn't understand the subtext and felt genuinely threatened, and in panic shot down an airliner.

That's a pretty antisemitic statement.

Where does apartheid come into it? Israel is not ruled by a minority.

It means that the nomination for the Peace Prize is well deserved.

J

Its only antisemetic if you think Israel has a right to treat its arab citizens as second class. Which is exactly the description of an aprtheid state. Minority domination is what goes on here in the US. I mean we are kind of close to an apartheid state from my point of view but still. . .

I know this all hurts your feelings and stuff but it still is accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_and_the_apartheid_analogy

Here is a pro and con for the analogy. The pro for the analogy lists the laws and realities on the ground, the con basically is "this is not nice to Israel".

Reagan was probably suffering from dementia his 2nd time around, not as bad as Biden though

Our fight with ISIS was effectively over by the time he got pay back for killing our people in Iraq

Scared the hell out of Iran

what makes you think roosevelt and winston didn't deserve it (latter's ploy didn't work out in the end, but it was still a good shot)

Roosevelt used wartime situation (and prior economic crisis) to ram through significant destruction to the US constitution and its future. He's in the bottom half of US presidents. He was in power during allies victory in WW2, but it's not like he personally won the war or jumped at the chance to put down fascism or something. His legacy is centralizing federal power, then reacting once America was outright attacked.

And for all the criticism of Trump in modern times, FDR did more to reduce American freedoms in practice and actually attempted court packing while in power. If FDR is a legitimate candidate for a "peace prize", then Trump is easily...and so are most of us by such standards. Realistically I'd broadly agree with warpus that it's very questionable to hand it to any US President (Obama getting it was a complete joke). Trump has been less bloodthirsty than his predecessors, but it's not like the middle east is a golden realm of freedom now. Being marginally less egregious is not the same thing as truly outstanding contributions to peace.

I would definitely consider people like Snowden/Assange over them, people who took extreme personal risk to expose illegal behaviors that threaten both peace and personal freedoms.

Top Bottom