Try-03: The Viking Conquest

I think bulbing for currency would be the best.. We don't have the time to go for currency at the moment, 'cause getting our beserks is bit more important.. But we definitly need those +1 for trade routes!!

I'm UP in another SG so I'll wait and play my set after TS. Currency bulb sounds good. Its worth considering that once we start razing cities that civ will hate us like for ever so maybe we should be looking at completly eliminating one civ at a time, possibly starting with Just.

Edit: by TS I did of course mean TrynthalaS.

Just home now. Not coherent enough after this weekend and the 4+ hour drive to play well, so I'll do it in the morning before I shoot out of here.

So um, I seem to have forgotten screenshots along the way. :blush:

I played through turn 195, and stopped after razing a second of Justinian's cities and founding our 4th, with a settler for the 5th nearly done. Also, I think we have enough troops to finish him off, but I'll let the group decide on the appropriate course there.

Highlights:
- Switched our EPs to focus on Louis and Vicky, the 2 highest ranked AIs
- Built a granary in both our 2nd and 3rd cities, barracks in the coastal one.
- Built/Chopped/Whipped two galleys, and a ton of troops
- Razed 2 Byzantine cities, making room for our Fish/Clams/Gems city site on the peninsula. Removed Justin's access to copper, but he has a source of iron a bit south which we should move against next.
- Bulbed Currency as planned
- Researched Priesthood after Construction, then traded Currency for Monarchy, Meditation, and some cash -> revolted to HR for more happy
- Researched Metal Casting, started Machinery
- Hannibal and Brennus are now Taoist, and for some reason declared on us when we declared on Justinian...but they haven't done anything to hurt us, or even try (yet). I imagine they'll go for peace without conditions after they're willing to talk and we can reopen borders.

Based on the current religious outlook, I think we should make friends with the Buddhist block, as Vicky is likely target #2 (and she, Justin, and Louis are all Jewish). Diplomacy-wise, we don't really have any friends, so we should probably make some, at least short term ;)

I've outlined in the save using the strategy layer where I think our next 2 cities should be built, to form a barrier against Vicky's expansion eastward.

Anyway, take a look at the save, and let's plan!

Hi everyone!

Cool turns Trynthlas... :goodjob:

some comments:

I like your dot map for our two next cities... but we should be carrefull about expansion. We don't have COL yet and furthermore, the cities on european mainland are not in the same land mass than Nidaros -> colonial maintenance costs will be high after settling a 3rd city and will go up from there. The only way to prevent that is to build the forbidden palace somewherre in Europe and fast :)

I didn't have time to look but did you trade for Louis' gold? one happy is good early on...

I also think we should open borders to all leaders who haven't worst leaders (regardless of religions) in order to max out the GL output...

And finally, Victoria is Buddhist... but I agree she is our next target... (with berserkers +cats )

Tech path: I suppose we will go COL -> CS after machinery?

I put some screenies I made this morning for people without civ access and for lurkers :)

Spoiler :

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

lurker's comment:
Hi you all,
I saw my buddy pigswill and thought I'd come bring you the light:rolleyes:

Interesting settings, although a bit hard (lots of settlers to build).

A few thoughts
1) Good job on the Great Lighthouse, but you don't seem to use it well.
You should
- have gone for writing + open borders ASAP (too late now, and no biggie)
- build only coastal cities (I don't understand your iron city, for example)
2) You seem a bit overoptimistic. It's BtS. The AIs that have declared on you will come for you. Justinian probably bribed them into war, and they may have no boats or troops, but they will whip them. At the very least they will wreck your fishing nets = your only food resources (almost). Either you find a way to get peace or you consider them your next target. But don't hope for open borders in a long time. brennus is a bad neighbour anyway and financial hannibal is very much able to run away with the game.

3) you have silver. There are gems available. Go for forges everywhere!

4) have fun;)

Hi Cabert,

thanks for your advices... ;)

1)I too think we should open borders liberaly (see my previous post)... but the iron city was not an option I think... It's the only source metal we have so far and having such a good prod city is nice for a military game anyways...
2) Agreed too... I think people have been bribed that why they don't send troops YET, they hadn't a proper SOD ready to go for us... but I agree they are probably whipping it right now... We should focus our effort on Justinian and try to get peace with the others as soon as possible.
3) absolutely
4) Thanks you, keep lurking and bringing us the good word! :goodjob:

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

Thanks for advice :)

We did in fact get Writing and have OB with almost everyone! 3 of our 4 cities are coastal, I think that's a pretty good ratio, but yeah there's a lot of landmass and our setup may be too hard to achieve on this size map (but either way we will learn and have fun!)

The AI's that declared have only one real -1 against us, and that's because we declared on Justin. I don't think they will hold a grudge enough to not be willing to have peace if we ask for it as soon as they aren't refusing to talk.

Forges are a good idea, but we did just get MC a few turns ago! Thanks for the tip :)

Well, I've got it but I need to play my set in 'Ping Pong' first.

the cities on european mainland are not in the same land mass than Nidaros -> colonial maintenance costs will be high after settling a 3rd city and will go up from there. The only way to prevent that is to build the forbidden palace somewherre in Europe and fast :)

That's not correct.. There's another way and I think we should truly discuss this: Moving the palace to European Mainland would make our homeland the colony.. And as we've got only three cities over there they should be payable!

Thoughts??

Nonetheless taking Justin down, making peace with the other ones and building up our empire should be the targets to focus onto.

Hi Thy-Spellcraft,

good idea! we'll probably be doing that... I think the palace is cheaper hammer wise than the Forbidden one...

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

Moving the palace to the mainland is a good idea.

For the moment we need to polish off Just and think about our next city. There is a decent coastal location west of Denmark (probably corresponding to modern Hamburg) which catches wine and horses in its BFC. There's also a nice inland location which would add gold and corn.

Anyone noticed that Hannibal knows HBR, NumidianCavalry are not nice to face so we'd better build some spears and keep our units stacked. As usual we need more cats.

I'm thinking about whipping a library in Uppsala to get a GS going.

As usual we need more cats.
We had some, they went splat when I used them to weaken up the defenses of the last city I razed, which had walls. :lol:

Hi team,

totally agree about the need for a lib and a GS... I think academy in Nidaros or philo bulb (but at this rate I doubt we 'll have lot of friends left to trade lol)

About cats: more is better I think, but I noticed few are promoted with the CR path... I feel we should promote some (most?) this way...

About Hambourg location: new happy sources are always nice... but I don't know the priority of the site compared to the ones marked by Trynthlas... so you should decide live what is best...

Good luck (and great fun) for the next round!

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

Played a chunk of turns (10 actually), things went 'fair to middling' imo, report tonight after work (there may even be pictures!).

T0. Uppsala starts library.

T1. Whip lib in Uppsala (3 pop).

T2. Haithabu cat>spear.
Uppsala runs 2 scientists, works hills, starts trireme.

T3. Capture/raze Nicopolis, lose an axe in the process.
Haithabu spear>spear.

T4. Haithabu spear>cat.
Meet a new friend:

Only two cities. Behind on tech. Open borders.

T5. zzz. Bombard Constantinople.

T6. zzz. Bombard Constantinople.

T7.Constantinople defended by 4 archers, axe, sword. Lose a cat, a cat withdraws, lose an axe, capture and raze Constantinople for 91gold.
Nidaros settler>archer.
Birka whips monument.
Victoria has enough on her hands.
Brennus doesn't want to talk.
Hannibal is more reasonable:

T8. Scout killed by byzantine archer.
Open borders with Hannibal.
Haithabu cat>cat.
Birka monument>granary.
Make a deal with Louis:

T9. Swop Nidaros to library.

T10. Brennus builds Colossus in Bibracte.
Settler has landed in north germany:

Justinian is down to two cities.

Save:

Not bad, I think we need to finish off Justin asap, hopefully be able to make peace with Brennus soon, and start dropping settlers all over the place in what used to be Justin's territory. If we don't get the area settled quickly, Vicky will do it for us I'm sure.

This is Monarch, and it's a bit above my usual pay grade for games. For those who are more experienced, what do we need to do to maintain a solid economy while ALSO maintaining troop output AND expansion? It's a pretty tall order, I know.

Top Bottom