TuxLife

(upon reading descriptions of antropodia): Wait, so does Poison Spikes come with poison resistance?

I've generally been poor at editing everyone's descriptions to fit exactly how I'm treating certain genes.

As far as the poison spike, I have assumed a small level of immunity to the poison produced by your own species, and as long as the genes didn't change, I've been lenient with poison between a species and its ancestors and descendants. However, if another species develops its own poison of some sort, I would not provide an immunity to that unless specific genes are dedicated to levels of generic poison immunity.

I assume this is trying to determine if poison immunity is best for your swarmer evolutions. It is. If you had your own poison spike (or other poison introducing gene), your evolution would be able to poison other creatures, have immunity to its own species poison, but still die a terribly gruesome death at the end of a poison-tipped spike on an artropodia species. (Granted it might also die a gruesome death due to your own poison).

:Greetings dragons and wyrens! The Terrance Telechannel now presents their newest episode of: TuxLife; Evolution Exploration:

[The Camera pans over the Anthozar Fields of Hammus Tuxedorum]

:Welcome back! We had several technical difficulties, including a time warp on our recording studio, but we now have it all under control!:

[The camera tilts up to face a Spector, Suddenly, a weedy green ray missed the spector, flew over the top of the camera. The camera fall into the depths]

*in the distance*

“What is that?” “Rhogar, are you OK?” “Direct hit in the head!”

[Static, then several of the “implanted cameras open, showing an unconscious dragon surrounded by worried dragons lifting it out of the water before the sea life can eat it”]

:Let’s um… get on with the show:

“RHOGAR HUNGRY!” shouted the dragon, jerking awake. With a roar it scattered the nearby dragons. “RHOGAR WANTS MEAT!” it shouted as it flew for a rapidly fleeing dot in the sky.

*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*

Pikt ran, or more correctly, waddled away from the EVOLVO-RAY! Back towards the command center. He waddled right into another Penguin, a cadet, who was shocked by his wild eyes.

”Forgema… Sir, what’s wrong?l”

“I must have miscalibrated the machine or something, because a Spector turned into a Dragon, and its coming for the Glacier.”

“But… But… we don’t have any weapons! And the Evolvo-ray” stammered the Cadet.

“It’s EVOLVO-RAY!, not Evolvo-ray by any standard!” interjected Pikt, picking himself off.

“Whatever it is, it takes an absurdly long time to recharge!” cried the Cadet, now also waddling in terror.

“We must flee, send for the Helmsman! We must flee...”

A thud, and the great Space Dragon, now sporting curved sail-like lumps on its wings, smashed into the station, clawing into its shields…

Spoiler :
:Greetings dragons and wyrens! The Terrance Telechannel now presents their newest episode of: TuxLife; Evolution Exploration:

[The Camera pans over the Anthozar Fields of Hammus Tuxedorum]

:Welcome back! We had several technical difficulties, including a time warp on our recording studio, but we now have it all under control!:

[The camera tilts up to face a Spector, Suddenly, a weedy green ray missed the spector, flew over the top of the camera. The camera fall into the depths]

*in the distance*

“What is that?” “Rhogar, are you OK?” “Direct hit in the head!”

[Static, then several of the “implanted cameras open, showing an unconscious dragon surrounded by worried dragons lifting it out of the water before the sea life can eat it”]

:Let’s um… get on with the show:

“RHOGAR HUNGRY!” shouted the dragon, jerking awake. With a roar it scattered the nearby dragons. “RHOGAR WANTS MEAT!” it shouted as it flew for a rapidly fleeing dot in the sky.

*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*

Pikt ran, or more correctly, waddled away from the EVOLVO-RAY! Back towards the command center. He waddled right into another Penguin, a cadet, who was shocked by his wild eyes.

”Forgema… Sir, what’s wrong?l”

“I must have miscalibrated the machine or something, because a Spector turned into a Dragon, and its coming for the Glacier.”

“But… But… we don’t have any weapons! And the Evolvo-ray” stammered the Cadet.

“It’s EVOLVO-RAY!, not Evolvo-ray by any standard!” interjected Pikt, picking himself off.

“Whatever it is, it takes an absurdly long time to recharge!” cried the Cadet, now also waddling in terror.

“We must flee, send for the Helmsman! We must flee...”

A thud, and the great Space Dragon, now sporting curved sail-like lumps on its wings, smashed into the station, clawing into its shields…

Looks good to me, as long as you guys keep that space dragon in space. :)

This looks really good, time to evolve a species which has been just sitting there for a long time...

Tentacled Miner : MoreEpicThanYou
Evolved From: Thermal Miner
Genes (4): Mineral Eating x1, Heat Resistance x1, Pressure Resistance x1, Eating Live Things x1
Description: With its newly-evolved sharp teeth, the Tentacled Miner can supplement its diet as well as defend its food by eating anything that comes near it.

This looks really good, time to evolve a species which has been just sitting there for a long time...

Tentacled Miner : MoreEpicThanYou
Evolved From: Thermal Miner
Genes (4): Mineral Eating x1, Heat Resistance x1, Pressure Resistance x1, Eating Live Things x1
Description: With its newly-evolved stinger tentacles, the Tentacled Miner can supplement its diet as well as defend its food by stinging and eating anything that comes near it. The tentacles, unlike claws, look extremely harmless, tricking many creatures into its grasp for shelter.

Welcome! Description sounds good to me. However, at the moment, I won't be able to actually add the stinging tentacles for now without genes for them. Don't worry though, they should do fine with just the Flesh Eating (Eating Live Things) gene for this era, and you can add the stinging tentacles next time.

I'm thinking of starting to slowly work on it soon, but I don't have a definite date set for it as of right now.

@tuxedohamm I have a question, how would you handle metamorphosis, for example a creature that has a caterpillar-like stage for much of its life and then transforms into something completely different in order to migrate and breed? Or would you rather not have such complexity in the game? Its something I've been wondering about since NESLife3...

I just realized I never answered this. Best answer: I don't know.

I actually think I asked you something similar in NESLife3.

I think at the moment, I already assume most creatures don't pop into existence with all their traits fully functioning, and instead have a short juvenile period where all the genes are functioning at a weaker state.

Specifically restricting genes to specific periods of time I guess would require, first a metamorphosis gene that would allow a limited number of genes to be either swapped with another gene or restricted to one life stage. This would all have to be explicitly stated in the description (or maybe I'd add a stages section to that creature). Anyway, if someone wants more specific rules so they can use it, let me know and I'll flesh that out some.

@ALL: I'm going to start drawing up creatures. If you've already submitted an evolution, please do not change it at this time. If you have not, you still have time to submit one. There is currently no ETA for an update, just starting work.

Entirely dependent on whether Tux wants more participants- picture drawing can get quite time-intensive.

Done. I don't mind. More diversity possible.

More specifically, I really enjoyed NESLife3. I wouldn't go quite so far as to rig votes, but it was the one thing I generally hoped would come back most of the time. I thought about doing this almost as soon as it became apparent that NESLife3 was going to go into near-permanent hibernation. But I never wanted to step on Daft's toes or be seen as the guy trying to steal his idea by others. I spent lots of times trying to come up with various other NESes; I've worked on maps of pseudo-earths, rulesets, and blackboxes. I finally decided to do this after talking to my biology professor about NESLife3 who was very interested in it and the teachable concepts in it. I came home, wrote up the starting info, drew the starting creatures, asked Daft if it was okay, presented it on the ideas thread, and opened this thread as soon as I had at least 1 person appear to be interested.

Lessons learned:

I understand why it can take a long time to get an update up and rolling.

Trying to stay on schedule (posted or otherwise) will burn me out very quickly...This may be an issue I need to address before trying to run a more "normal" type NES.

While you can say all day that the pictures don't matter and any update is good, there is something special in seeing your creature visualized by another person. <- learned this from NESLife3

Posting the final product of an update really feels impressive while at the same time always feeling inadequate for the amount of time you made the players wait for it.

There is likely more lessons learned, but I'll spare you. That and I don't fully know how to express all of them.

What would I have to do so that they actually start to hunt (which is what I had intended for them, and have actually stated several times)?

I'm sorry. I just realized I didn't answer this either. I accidentally saw someone else reply with the answer I would give and let it slip from my mind.

To actively hunt, you need a flesh eating gene.

I know it might be splitting hairs, since your creatures can eat meat that they kill defensively, but the flesh eating gene is almost a behavioral gene. I think I need to stop the drawings I'm doing and actually get to updating the genes on the front page. If you need to make changes to the Excomia, go ahead and do so. I didn't mean to be so late to respond.

I remember in update 1 when I got blocked from hunting because of that. Which is one reason I am miffed that they get to do what they did in updates 4-5 with mass-killing and eating corpses from the previous mass-kill. :p

Good luck on the images. I bet they will turn out perfect.

I remember in update 1 when I got blocked from hunting because of that. Which is one reason I am miffed that they get to do what they did in updates 4-5 with mass-killing and eating corpses from the previous mass-kill. :p

Good luck on the images. I bet they will turn out perfect.

They also have Plankton eating. I generally assume they do well because they filter plankton, eat the stuff that iggy's predators drop from their surface feeding and are able to eat creatures that die during predator raids. I never meant it to seem as if their sole source was eatting aggressive Swarmers and kin.

Spoiler :
Gemitan Herbava : Gem Hound
Evolved from: Plankton
Gene added: x1 Plant Eating, x1 swimming, x1 drifting, x1 touch sense, x1 mass reproduction, x1 colony
Description:
Spoiler picture :

Note: Stage one is top left, Stage 2 bottom Left, Stage 3 Right side.
The dots around it in Stage 3 are the stage 1 spores. Stage three could be any direction, up, down, it could cause vine-like jungles in the Ocean.

In this one, the egg came first but I'll start with Stage 2.
The Stage 2 creature swims around attempting to find a near the surface plant to latch onto. Once it finds a plant, it begins to live off of it like a parasite. Eventually, the creature matures into the branching form of itself where it starts to release spores. The branches can connect this creature to several plants at the same time.
The Spores, stage one, float out on the current and eventually turn into the mobile creature((stage 2)) once a good feeding ground has been found.

This thing lives until it either has no food or gets eaten by something that develops to munch on it.

Long term plan.
I'm guessing plankton start with plant eating x1 and drifting x1 so ya.

Gemitan Herbat : Gem Hound
Gene added: x1 swimming
Description: look at stage 1 and stage 2 in the strikeout post. At this point, stage 2 just crumbles and dies every now and then to form four stage 1 creatures. Can't kill plants yet by energy usage. Everything but stage 3 exists.
Spoiler Gene Ideas :
Clonal colonization -> Allows something to create new plants or animals off of it's own self. Permanently connected.
Food Seeking -> ((Only applicable to plants that eat other plants or animals)) The plant grows towards, like plants that have photosynthesis, new food sources. Only with this, it grows towards a living thing.
Let's create something totally unique! :mwaha:
Mineral shell -> The shell is directly made of minerals taken from the ground. The shell is different with every creature with this. Prerequisites of mineral eating(level?) and shell(level?).
Groomed Shell -> The shell is made much like a clams pearl over several years. The animal grows no larger than it's shell and will never shed it. Prerequisite of shell(level?).
Spore Reproduction -> The plant or animal reproduces by releasing millions of tiny spores into the water or into the air. This one would require a prerequisite of mass reproduction(level?).

Spoiler :
Gemitan Herbava : Gem Hound
Gene added: x1 Plant Eating, x1 swimming, x1 drifting, x1 touch sense, x1 mass reproduction, x1 colony
Description:
Spoiler picture :

Note: Stage one is top left, Stage 2 bottom Left, Stage 3 Right side.
The dots around it in Stage 3 are the stage 1 spores. Stage three could be any direction, up, down, it could cause vine-like jungles in the Ocean.

In this one, the egg came first but I'll start with Stage 2.
The Stage 2 creature swims around attempting to find a near the surface plant to latch onto. Once it finds a plant, it begins to live off of it like a parasite. Eventually, the creature matures into the branching form of itself where it starts to release spores. The branches can connect this creature to several plants at the same time.
The Spores, stage one, float out on the current and eventually turn into the mobile creature((stage 2)) once a good feeding ground has been found.

This thing lives until it either has no food or gets eaten by something that develops to munch on it.

Long term plan.
I'm guessing plankton start with plant eating x1 and drifting x1 so ya.

Gemitan Herbat : Gem Hound
Gene added: x1 swimming
Description: look at stage 1 and stage 2 in the strikeout post. At this point, stage 2 just crumbles and dies every now and then to form four stage 1 creatures. Can't kill plants yet by energy usage. Everything but stage 3 exists.
Spoiler Gene Ideas :
Clonal colonization -> Allows something to create new plants or animals off of it's own self. Permanently connected.
Food Seeking -> ((Only applicable to plants that eat other plants or animals)) The plant grows towards, like plants that have photosynthesis, new food sources. Only with this, it grows towards a living thing.
Let's create something totally unique! :mwaha:
Mineral shell -> The shell is directly made of minerals taken from the ground. The shell is different with every creature with this. Prerequisites of mineral eating(level?) and shell(level?).
Groomed Shell -> The shell is made much like a clams pearl over several years. The animal grows no larger than it's shell and will never shed it. Prerequisite of shell(level?).
Spore Reproduction -> The plant or animal reproduces by releasing millions of tiny spores into the water or into the air. This one would require a prerequisite of mass reproduction(level?).

I'd rather not have anything new come from plankton directly which is why I didn't give them any genetic details. Looking at your long term plan, the best way would be to start with maybe the Tailus from Era 1 (it is still around) and for your changes, add plant eating and remove plankton eating. This would put you only 3 genes away from your goal and avoid directly evolving from plankton.

Top Bottom