TuxLife

I'd rather not have anything new come from plankton directly which is why I didn't give them any genetic details. Looking at your long term plan, the best way would be to start with maybe the Tailus from Era 1 (it is still around) and for your changes, add plant eating and remove plankton eating. This would put you only 3 genes away from your goal and avoid directly evolving from plankton.
Okay.

More specifically, I really enjoyed NESLife3. I wouldn't go quite so far as to rig votes, but it was the one thing I generally hoped would come back most of the time. I thought about doing this almost as soon as it became apparent that NESLife3 was going to go into near-permanent hibernation.

I really appreciate that!!! :D It's people's enthusiasm that made NESLife3. I never say never to carrying on with the legacy. But to me, it seems the game accumulated a lot of oddities over 30+ updates, and there is a lot of temptation either to start over with lessons learned, or switch to a tribal / civilization game using the candidates for sentience.

But I never wanted to step on Daft's toes or be seen as the guy trying to steal his idea by others. I spent lots of times trying to come up with various other NESes; I've worked on maps of pseudo-earths, rulesets, and blackboxes. I finally decided to do this after talking to my biology professor about NESLife3 who was very interested in it and the teachable concepts in it. I came home, wrote up the starting info, drew the starting creatures, asked Daft if it was okay, presented it on the ideas thread, and opened this thread as soon as I had at least 1 person appear to be interested.

I've said it before and will admit again, I stole the idea from a NES by TerrisH, inspired by the hype around the computer game Spore before its release. That NES never left the 'tide pool' phase, but I recall he had the original gene system, and the different habitats with pictures in each update to show what was happening. Basically, I don't lay claim to the idea and I'm happy to see as many similar NESes as people wish to make :)

Lessons learned:

I understand why it can take a long time to get an update up and rolling.

Trying to stay on schedule (posted or otherwise) will burn me out very quickly...This may be an issue I need to address before trying to run a more "normal" type NES.

While you can say all day that the pictures don't matter and any update is good, there is something special in seeing your creature visualized by another person. <- learned this from NESLife3

Posting the final product of an update really feels impressive while at the same time always feeling inadequate for the amount of time you made the players wait for it.

There is likely more lessons learned, but I'll spare you. That and I don't fully know how to express all of them.

I remember when I was home alone during a lonely period with basically nothing to do, is when I launched NESLife3 and updated every evening for the first few turns. Even with simple creatures and half-assed graphics, that was hard work!! And the later updates that took much more work, I tend to assume nobody was reading all of the write-up when its natural to be focused on your own critter(s). Its a hard balancing act I think.

I am wondering about re/launching a NESLife using pixel-art/kawaii advance-wars style graphics, as it seems to be fun and easier for me. RE the whole world ecosystem I have drawn for the DaftNESIV map, including much unseen, already about a hundred lifeforms and plants I guess. But I'm not sure how many people appreciate such a style. I'm really liking your artwork for this NES, though!

I kinda stole the Idea off a few spore forums, and twisted it a bit into a form that would fit a NES.

When I first started playing NESLife3, I almost stole it and took it to a Spore forum where they were not playing a similar game. But I lacked confidence in my drawing abilities at the time and so chose to not do so. (That and I don't have a strong presence at any forum anywhere and lacked the confidence that anyone would pay attention to me trying to start a game).

Talking about Spore makes Iggy a sad penguin. :p Anyway, I hope to post my evolution soon!

this was long long ago. even before spore came out. there were these evolution games. the author would write up events, then pose a vote to the readers. they would vote on what evolutions would be done, how the creature at the focus of this story would react. rinse, repeat. I really should go back and look a few of them up to see what they have become.

anyway, I simply changed it to a multi-player format. each player took control over a single creature/cell and competed against each other. Daft took it farther with better graphics and much more detailed updates.

*sigh* Spore, in my opinion was the biggest ripoff in history. It promised so much... and gave us so little.

The best thought of it is that someday, another game will be made that delivers what Spore promised- but let's not get off the topic of this NES. :D

this was long long ago. even before spore came out. there were these evolution games. the author would write up events, then pose a vote to the readers. they would vote on what evolutions would be done, how the creature at the focus of this story would react. rinse, repeat. I really should go back and look a few of them up to see what they have become.

anyway, I simply changed it to a multi-player format. each player took control over a single creature/cell and competed against each other. Daft took it farther with better graphics and much more detailed updates.

If that's the forum I'm thinking of (which is still going, albeit with only about dozen regulars), those games have been dead for a while. The last post in the Spore part of that froum was in January...

Viridor : Lord_Iggy
Evolved From: Haptor
Gene added (You may only add 1 gene + any bonus): Mass Reproduction, Photosynthesis
Gene removed (optional, you may remove up to 1 gene): None
Description: The internal organization of this species is much more complex than its predecessor, the Haptor. The Viridor possesses a branching internal structure connecting densely-packed photosynthetic plates. These plates contain a diverse array of pigments, allowing the Viridor to gather more energy from a wider range of solar radiation than any of its competitors. Budding now takes place in specialized reproductive structures on the creature’s lower surface, where small, free-swimming larvae are periodically released in huge numbers, greatly aiding the reproduction and dispersal of the species. In sufficient numbers, which Viridors are quite good at attaining, massive mats of these floating photosynthesizers can seal off the surface altogether, their multiple photosynthetic plates blotting out much of the light that would otherwise reach the seas beneath them.

Crawler Tree. (wide image)
Spoiler :

Top Bottom