TuxLife

@Tux, just want to say, I remember from NESLife3 when I would spend weeks on an update, and all the acknowledgement I'd get from players is a post with a new evolution, its like - 'is that the thanks I get??' Just try to see it as people being enthusiastic :)

Generally the fact that anyone responds to the thread after an update is good enough for me at the moment.

Nice update, I never doubted you for a second :D. As you didn't get back to me about this gene I'm going to assume it was OK.
Spoiler :
Artropodia Marnessia: Milarqui
Evolved from Artropodia Sufessia
Gene (8): Eating Dead Things x1, Plankton Eating x1, Crawling x1, Poison Spike x1, Claws x1, Water Retention x1, Complex Stomach x1, Shell x1
Description: Artropodia Sufessia, although it did not look like it, was quite better at its job than what it seemed. Its eyes allowed it to hunt more efficiently, and its ability to retent water within its shell gave it the ability to come out of water for short amounts of time. The more varied diet this gave Sufessia slowly made more likely that those of them that mutated into developing a stomach that allowed them to better digest any kind of food they came onto. Through this stomach, they were also able to digest harder stuff, thus allowing them to use it some other way. When a A. Sufessia evolved and was able to use the calcium and others to harden its shell, it soon was clear that the hard-shell Sufessia would rule over its ancestors, giving birth to the Artropodia Marnessia.

Artropodia Virii: filli_noctus
Evolved from: Artropodia Marnessia
Gene added: Viral reproduction
Gene removed: Poison spike
Description: The Artopodia Virii was a revolution in animal reproduction. On many worlds there are animals that have evolved methods to trick other species into caring for their young, A. Virii takes that strategy to a new level. The exact mechanism by which this came about is unknown but it is believed that a transcription error occured when a specimen of A. Marnessia was infected by a retrovirus, causing the compromised cell to create viruses containing the creature's DNA sequence in addition to the viral RNA. This would have quickly spread to the rest of the creature's cells and been passed down when it reproduced.
Regardless of how it was introduced the viral genetic sequence became embedded in the makeup of proto-A. Virii. Over the generations it evolved into a useful tool, infecting those that ate predecessors to A. Virii and in some cases rewriting their DNA to that of the consumed creature. Infected predators could, from time to time, produce Artropodia instead of their own young when they reproduced.
Over time infecting predators became a strong reproductive strategy and the virus changed to target the reproductive systems of a number of common predators. In addition the poison producing cells transformed into virus factories, a dead predator can't reproduce and having an alternative method of infection beyond being eaten is a superior survival strategy.
Eventually A. Virii evolved into the species as it is recorded by science. The traditional reproductive system has been discarded in favour of the viral method. Creatures are generally infected via consuming A. Virii or being pierced by its' spike, although there are rare cases of infection being transferred between hosts. Once the infection modifies the hosts reproductive system the change is for all intents and purposes permanent and the victim can only produce A. Virii.

@filli_noctus, I'm personally very uneasy with that. If it was so easy, nature would have done it on our planet already. I think there are enough choices around without inventing something like that. And don't even get Lord_Iggy started on this!

Its not my NES, but I'm much in favour of 'Parasitic Larvae' or somesuch - look at how parasitic wasps reproduce. I think that achieves everything you want, without completely murdering genetic science along the way :)

Well, you have to consider a few things about that reproductive system.

1. So in the initial mutation, one of the host's cells developed a gene that coded for a retrovirus. This is a tremendously unlikely event- retroviruses possess a RNA genome, while the unspoken assumption is that all multicellular life in this game is making use of DNA. The jump of this evolution is... tremendous. We're talking going from using RNA as an intercellular courier system, to using RNA to encode a whole genome in a single generation- engineering aside, that's beyond astronomically unlikely.

As a note, a retrovirus makes use of reverse transcriptase (or some other analogue) to insert its RNA genome into a host's DNA, causing the host to produce new viruses using its own energy and resources.

2. It's very vulnerable to host immune systems. Never forget that every lifeform has some degree of resistance to invasion. Any host population which has its health reduced by having to produce new Artropodia Virii will be selected against, any host which is totally sterilized becomes very strongly selected against. Keep in mind this trait in viral evolution: any virus that kills off its host will ultimately have to become less virulent or be wiped out itself- if it kills off all of its hosts, it will have nowhere to go.

More to come, I have to run for a bit.

Nice update, I never doubted you for a second :D. As you didn't get back to me about this gene I'm going to assume it was OK.
Spoiler :
Artropodia Marnessia: Milarqui
Evolved from Artropodia Sufessia
Gene (8): Eating Dead Things x1, Plankton Eating x1, Crawling x1, Poison Spike x1, Claws x1, Water Retention x1, Complex Stomach x1, Shell x1
Description: Artropodia Sufessia, although it did not look like it, was quite better at its job than what it seemed. Its eyes allowed it to hunt more efficiently, and its ability to retent water within its shell gave it the ability to come out of water for short amounts of time. The more varied diet this gave Sufessia slowly made more likely that those of them that mutated into developing a stomach that allowed them to better digest any kind of food they came onto. Through this stomach, they were also able to digest harder stuff, thus allowing them to use it some other way. When a A. Sufessia evolved and was able to use the calcium and others to harden its shell, it soon was clear that the hard-shell Sufessia would rule over its ancestors, giving birth to the Artropodia Marnessia.

Artropodia Virii: filli_noctus
Evolved from: Artropodia Marnessia
Gene added: Viral reproduction
Gene removed: Poison spike
Description: The Artopodia Virii was a revolution in animal reproduction. On many worlds there are animals that have evolved methods to trick other species into caring for their young, A. Virii takes that strategy to a new level. The exact mechanism by which this came about is unknown but it is believed that a transcription error occured when a specimen of A. Marnessia was infected by a retrovirus, causing the compromised cell to create viruses containing the creature's DNA sequence in addition to the viral RNA. This would have quickly spread to the rest of the creature's cells and been passed down when it reproduced.
Regardless of how it was introduced the viral genetic sequence became embedded in the makeup of proto-A. Virii. Over the generations it evolved into a useful tool, infecting those that ate predecessors to A. Virii and in some cases rewriting their DNA to that of the consumed creature. Infected predators could, from time to time, produce Artropodia instead of their own young when they reproduced.
Over time infecting predators became a strong reproductive strategy and the virus changed to target the reproductive systems of a number of common predators. In addition the poison producing cells transformed into virus factories, a dead predator can't reproduce and having an alternative method of infection beyond being eaten is a superior survival strategy.
Eventually A. Virii evolved into the species as it is recorded by science. The traditional reproductive system has been discarded in favour of the viral method. Creatures are generally infected via consuming A. Virii or being pierced by its' spike, although there are rare cases of infection being transferred between hosts. Once the infection modifies the hosts reproductive system the change is for all intents and purposes permanent and the victim can only produce A. Virii.

@filli_noctus, I'm personally very uneasy with that. If it was so easy, nature would have done it on our planet already. I think there are enough choices around without inventing something like that. And don't even get Lord_Iggy started on this!

Its not my NES, but I'm much in favour of 'Parasitic Larvae' or somesuch - look at how parasitic wasps reproduce. I think that achieves everything you want, without completely murdering genetic science along the way :)

I'm inclined to agree that you should adjust this to something more parasitic. Like the wasps mentioned by Daft. I'm sorry I missed you asking about this before. I would have suggested something else before now.

All things I've considered. I did run it by Tux but he was presumably busy and didn't get back to me. If he doesn't like it I'll rework it or come up with something else. As for the dodgy science, I had forgotten that RNA isn't as good for information encoding, however there are such things as DNA viruses so a DNA retrovirus isn't outside the realm of possibility (in which case replace references to RNA with DNA). Iggy, what is more likely than a random mutation causing cells to spit out viruses (and the explanation given) is that a retrovirus inserted its' genetic code into the cell. There is plenty of evidence for this happening in Earth species and there is a theory that viral RNA may be responsible for the development of placental mammals.
As I have envisaged it, the host would not be forced to produce A.Virii, the host would continue its' usual reproductive cycle but would create Artropodia young instead of its' own. I'm not disputing that the chances of this evolving are low but in a sufficiently large universe it's got a decent chance of happening somewhere so why not Tau Porcus?

Edit: No worries, I'll figure something out.

Tidal Slimer: theDright
Evolved from: Coastal Slimer
Genes (7): Eating Dead Things x1, Photosynthesis x2, Clonal Colony x1, Holdfasts x1, Water Retention x2
Description: Whenever Coastal Slimer pieces washed further up above the tideline, most would dry out before the water could reach them again. Those rare colonies that survived were the precursors of the Tidal Slimers. The Tidal Slimers are much less likely to dry out at higher tidelines due to their thicker cell walls, while offering unparalleled growing area inaccessible by almost all other species.

I remember reading about roots/plant vascular systems earlier in the thread. I do not remember what the consensus was. Feel free to yell at me if I am making a mistake. Also the NES is great and I have no complains :p.

I am looking for the Hardy Slimer to pull moister and nutrients from the soil. If I need a Vascular evolution separate from the roots, then just change out Dormancy for that.
Dormancy x1 is so that in dry/cold times the Hardy Slimer can go dormant for a little while and survive.

Hardy Slimer:Julius Gandi
Evolved from: Tidal Slimer
Genes Added: Roots 1x, Dormancy x1
Genes Removed: Eating Dead Things x1
Genes (7): Roots x1, Dormancy x1, Photosynthesis x2, Clonal Colony x1, Holdfasts x1, Water Retention x2
Description: The hard conditions for from the sea had pushed the Tidal Slimer to its very limits. When drought hit or winter hit, the Slimer colonies that sprung up far from the sea often disappeared. Only to be recolonized after the weather improved. Occasionally a slimer would survive the drought or winter and would quickly repopulate the area when conditions improved. This lead to the evolution of the Hardy Slimer.

Acidiaspora:TerrisH
Genes Added: Acidic spores x1, Mass reproduction(spore cloud) x1
Genes removed: Clonal Colony x1
Genes (7): Eating Dead Things x1, Photosynthesis x2, Holdfasts x1, Water Retention x2, Acidic spores x1, Mass reproduction(spore cloud) x1
The Acidiaspora was a strange change for the Tidal Slimer. abandoning it's ancestors means of reproduction, instead producing great airborne clouds of spores to spread it's young. the dust is quite acidic, often burning and killing any plants that it covers, providing an excellent location for the young plants to sprout and grow.

Greenhouse Slimer:theDright
Genes Added: Crystalline Shell x1, Roots x1
Genes removed: Eating Dead Things x1
Genes (8): Photosynthesis x2, Holdfasts x1, Water Retention x2, Clonal Colony x1, Crystalline Shell x1, Roots x1
The Greenhouse Slimer takes the water retention and environmental protection abilities of the Tidal Slimer to the next level. A colony of Greenhouse Slimers quickly builds roots, either deep or shallow depending upon water levels, as well as a strong cellulose-silicate shell. These shells allow gases to penetrate, but provide much better insulation from water evaporation or other environmental damage, and allowing the storage of water in an internal reservoir. Retaining the abilities of the Tidal Slimer when in low numbers, large colonies of green house slimers can create large mounds or towers of rigid crystal, depending upon local water supplies.

OOC: So many plants! Someone needs to do a better job of eating them.

Tailus Bentus : erez87
Evolved from: Tailus
Gene added (You may only add 1 gene + any bonus): Electric sense x1, Plant eating x1
Gene removed (optional, you may remove up to 1 gene): Plankton eating -1
Description: As the Smellus taken over more and more of the open sea most basal Tailus populations had to escape to less comfortable niches. One was the green stretches of the sea. The Tailus Bentus is a benthic species (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benthos) that lives to feed on plant life that grows on the seabed, but any plant that it find will be consumed (including more deadly ones). The Tailus Bentus usually prefers to drift around the seabed from plant to plant, using its swimming very lightly to conserve energy. When its electric senses pick up a threat the Tailus Bentus quickly swims away from any possible enemy (and no swimming one seems to exist so it's pretty good). The Tailus family seems to be doing fairly well in all niches...

Tailus Herbivori/Spaceman
Gene added (You may only add 1 gene + any bonus): Plant digestion, Strong tale
Discription: Plants diversified greatly. However the plant eaters where too weak to climb out of the shadows. However the overabundance of food ment that they evolved. Some of them learned to digest plants more effeciently. These soon extracted more energy from their leafy diet. Now their tails could become stronger. Strong enough to escape the bottom and drift up, through the predators, to the rich jungle above.

OOC: So many plants! Someone needs to do a better job of eating them.

Tailus Herbivori/Spaceman
Gene added (You may only add 1 gene + any bonus): Plant digestion, Strong tale
Discription: Plants diversified greatly. However the plant eaters where too weak to climb out of the shadows. However the overabundance of food ment that they evolved. Some of them learned to digest plants more effeciently. These soon extracted more energy from their leafy diet. Now their tails could become stronger. Strong enough to escape the bottom and drift up, through the predators, to the rich jungle above.

Just so you know, if you're trying to reach the plants on land, you're going to need to add a water retention gene to get out to them. :)

No, the ones on the surface.

OK, plan B.
Spoiler :
Hydrator : filli_noctus
Evolved from: Condenser
Genes (7) : Plankton Eating x2, Phoresy x1, Parasitic Tendrils x1, Water Retention x2, Moisture Glands x1

Hydrator Necrophage: filli_noctus
Evolved from: Hydrator
Gene added: Eating Dead Things
Description: As host species began leaving the water with greater regularity more hosts died above the tide line. When a host perished in the water a Hydrator would be able to survive on plankton, almost indefinitely if the waters were sufficiently rich, however those stranded on land would quickly perish. In response to this pressure the Hydrator Necrophage began to evolve, upon the death of its' host the parasitic tendrils of the Necrophage would begin to secrete digestive enzymes and then absorb the released nutrients. Once this process commences the Necrophage would divert almost all energy to reproduction, attempting to shed as many spores as possible before succumbing to starvation.

This looks interesting! I'll give it try and hopefully won't mess up too badly.

Artropodia Sirris : Randomness
Evolved from Artropodia Marnessia

Added: Plant Eating x1
Removed: Poison Spike x1,

Gene (7): Eating Dead Things x1, Crawling x1, Claws x1, Water Retention x1, Complex Stomach x1, Shell x1, Plant Eating x1

Description:
Over time, some Artropodia Marnessia began to venture further out onto land. Most of these adventures ended in death from starvation and dehydration. However, some Marnessia developed a symbiotic relationship with the Hydrators, enabling them to last longer on the surface than any others of their kind. With their new partnership, the Marnessia were able to expand further away from the coast which were still largely uninhabited by predators and competition. Slowly, Marnessia began spending more time out of water and to fully take advantage of their new spaces, Marnessia developed the ability to eat the plentiful plant life creeping out of the waters.

This looks interesting! I'll give it try and hopefully won't mess up too badly.

Artropodia Sirris : Randomness
Evolved from Artropodia Marnessia

Added: Plant Eating x1
Removed: Poison Spike x1,

Gene (7): Eating Dead Things x1, Crawling x1, Claws x1, Water Retention x1, Complex Stomach x1, Shell x1, Plant Eating x1

Description:
Over time, some Artropodia Marnessia began to venture further out onto land. Most of these adventures ended in death from starvation and dehydration. However, some Marnessia developed a symbiotic relationship with the Hydrators, enabling them to last longer on the surface than any others of their kind. With their new partnership, the Marnessia were able to expand further away from the coast which were still largely uninhabited by predators and competition. Slowly, Marnessia began spending more time out of water and to fully take advantage of their new spaces, Marnessia developed the ability to eat the plentiful plant life creeping out of the waters.

Welcome!

@tuxedohamm I have a question, how would you handle metamorphosis, for example a creature that has a caterpillar-like stage for much of its life and then transforms into something completely different in order to migrate and breed? Or would you rather not have such complexity in the game? Its something I've been wondering about since NESLife3...

Lookie all the slimers! And not while ago, entire seabed was almost entirely empty of plants. Awesome update!

Slimer Leafius Secondus: Northen Wolf
Evolved from: Slimer Leafius
Genes (5): Eating Dead Things x1, Photosynthesis x3, Clonal Colony x1, Holdfasts x1, Leafs x1
New Genes (2): ?Rudimentary roots?x1, Water retination x1
Description: The Slimer Leafius has successfully grown first 'rudimentary' leaves and attached itself onto costal areas. Due to overcrowding, Slimers Leafius has evolved to survive outside of the water for limited time. Whilst nowhere near as successful in keeping itself hydrated as Tidal Slimer, Slimer Leafius Secondus has significant benefits if compared to Tidal Slimer. First, it is attached more firmly to ground thanks to evolved holdfasts that are capable of fixing SLS onto sand, where normal Slimers would be carried away due to streams/tides in water. Secondly, it has higher capacity of photosynthesis, not only because Slimer Leafius Secondus has more advanced photosynthesis, but as it also has a leaf-like body structure, allowing it to capture far more sunlight. Only problem with this is, that SLS is more dependant of water - having more body mass where water can leave from plant.

Being attached more firmly, means that SLS can survive the tides and small pieces of leaves, that are bound to be torn off the mother plant, will be carried with the tide, until these pieces have chance to attach themselves onto seabed and survive, whetever underwater or on the coastal waters. Being more firmly attached to seabed also means being able to stick onto coastal areas where other plants and animals would just be carried away with tides.

-----------

Spoiler :
Swarmer Defensus: Terrance888
Evolved from: Swarmer
Genes (7): Eating Live Things x2, Crawling x1, Shell x1, Claws x1, Vision Recognition X1, Pack Hunting x1
Description: Old Swarmers have already started developing a tough, basically dead, layer of skin to help them weather the poison of the Anthropodia. Population booms and busts also, for the first time, started encouraging more food specialization. As these traits- tough expendable skin and better digestion- are sharpened by fierce competition between packs, eventually the Swarmer Defensus formed. Their shells allowed, for the first time, to penetrate the Clanessia Kill Zone, and their better digestion finally leveled the playing field with the old Vampira Stomachus in that regard.
The change from the Swarmer to the Swarmer Defensus is much smaller than previous changes in the Clawstrum, despite the increased amount of genes changed. Even during the Cipherus era, old Alpha Swarmers would slowly grow extra stomachs and tougher still to help them survive as the Pack Leader. Soon, these pack leaders spread the genes which caused their success: The tough skin which allows them to gain experience without instant death, and the stomach which allowed them to survive lean times. Eventually, there came to be a pack consisted mostly of these Defendus. Their shell was equally matched with their tough claw, and thus, basically immune from the spikes of the Antropodia and the Claws of the Clawstrum or even the bite of the Vampirae, the Defendus spread throughout the oceans.

Swarmer Antropodivore: Terrance888
Evolved from: Swarmer Defensus
Genes (8): Eating Live Things x2, Crawling x1, Shell x1, Claws x1, Vision Recognition X1, Pack Hunting x1, Poison Resistance X1
Short Description: The changes are still minute, and while the old Swarmer Defensus definately reproduce faster than the Swarmer Anthropodivore, the new genus of the Swarmer family has a new trick up its sleeve: the ability to survive the the poison spike, even when it penetrates the shell. This comes from the development of enzymes which counteract the poison after contact, effectively immunizing the Antropodivore from further use of that poison. Indeed, aged Alpha-Swarmers often immunize its pack by getting attacked by an Antropodia it is immune against, storing its poison in its shell, and letting its pack-mates drink during a rest. Soon, the Antropodivore begun focusing solely on hunting the very numerious Antropodia while the Defensus focused on more banal prey.

Long:
The evolutionary race moves on, and the Swarmer Defensus was yet unable to claim the top of the food pyramid due to the meddling Anthropods and their little spike too! Despite their shells, and their vision, which should have blocked the spike and the claws, they are still outmatched and soon outnumbered in terms both of genes and in sheer defensive ability. It started when an aged Alpha-Swarmer Defensus' shell was pierced by the poison spike, but was only grazed. The deadly poison, nontheless, raged through the body and would still kill it except for the fact that the body innovated, changing its metabolic circuits to reduce bloodflow from the poisoned bruise, and sending enzymes to nuetralize the poison. The de-deadlification of grazing shots proved to be useful, and the descendents of this Alpha-Swarmer quickly multiplied and formed new packs.

The next advance is when a pull penetration stabbed right into the enzyme gland which was forming. With the rapid metabolism characterizing meat-eating, the enzymes managed to multiply and match those formed earlier against that exact same poison. Thus curing what should have been a deadly attack, allowing this specific Alpha-Swarmer and its descendents to spread out.

As poison resistance begun to spread, so did priorities change. While the Defensus who didn't get the poison resistance remained ambivalent to hunting athropodica and simply grounded among the Anthozar fields (digging into the symbiotic roots) or other areas, herding herbivores into kill zones, the new Antrhopodivore became ever more inclined to actively hunt the Anthropdia Family, now that their precious spike is now basically useless.

Top Bottom