UI that needs to be fixed day 1

Cyon

Cosmonaut
The game looks awesome and I'm very hyped, but some user interface stuff that is missing needs to be added ASAP.

1. Add icons for all info on tech and civic trees!

Such things as envoys, spies, increased yields on improvements needs to get their own icons so you can evaluate what you need better. Sure you can learn all stuff by heart but then why have any icons at all?

2. Friendly village (aka goody Hut) needs an icon or needs to stand out more.

A lot of youtubers have just walked past the villages because they blend n to much with the map.

To be continued.
Please list stuff that you have noticed that needs to be clearer.

Just gonna link to my previous observations/peeves about UI:

Notification spam being mostly useless notifications (at the center of the screen and on top of the map), while the useful notifications are smaller and don't jump out at you

Confusing order of advisor popup notifications, ie the advisor tells you about something before you get the tech pop, so you're not even sure sometimes WHY the advisor is telling you about it

Mentioned in passing too elsewhere, but we absolutely need a list of cities where we can see at a glance prod/science/gold/culture/etc per city.

Apparently if we click on a unit on the lower right corner we can see the list of units, at least there's that...

Hmm I thought I had more but that's it so far.

+Food in lower right corner with city selected should tell the actual food surplus, as in how much food you get towards growth. Currently it shows total food production without modifiers, which is completely meaningless, and you have to open up city details to see the actual food surplus.

Great people screen should tell you if a great person has multiple charges.

All the numbers really need to update in realtime when you for example shuffle tiles around.

I can't agree more on this one. And here we are talking about players that don't really care much about the political gameplay. Imagine this playing as France and trying to get the most out of Catherine ability.....

The worst part is that I don't think there is a way to come back to those notification (at least none of the youtubers I have watch even try) is you were not able to read them all.

An archeology lens
A 'builder/resource' lens (highlight unimproved tiles in you territory, unimproved luxuries, improved/unimproved strategic

Mentioned in passing too elsewhere, but we absolutely need a list of cities where we can see at a glance prod/science/gold/culture/etc per city.

Absolutely. This has been in like every Civ game so far (that I can recall) and in more recent ones it was a sortable list. I consider this absolutely essential, and if it's missing I honestly have no idea what Firaxis was thinking.

+Food in lower right corner with city selected should tell the actual food surplus, as in how much food you get towards growth. Currently it shows total food production without modifiers, which is completely meaningless, and you have to open up city details to see the actual food surplus.

I'd like to see how much food is required to grow as well, from my understanding there's no way to see that currently.

A city list will be most welcomed as well, and it should include housing and amenities.

Is there a menu option, where we can rank our cities according stats like production, gold, science output, etc., like in CiV ?

:eek:

I came expecting something about the Lavra, but it is a completely different thread :rolleyes:

On the real topic, all improvements suggested seem good. Autocycle off is a must, now more as the battle animations don't stop the game.

Also maybe a notification level selector as in current smartphones: for each type of notification select one or more of of 4 levels: ok box, center screen fading message, side notifications or none (only record in notification log, that could be accesed somewere). Probably more improvements are possible. I'd think about it.

This may be intentional, but right now you don't know if a wonder is built or not before researching the relevant tech. Might be slightly annoying.

Maybe built wonders should be crossed/marked out in tech/civic tree?

1. Add icons for all info on tech and civic trees!

Such things as envoys, spies, increased yields on improvements needs to get their own icons so you can evaluate what you need better. Sure you can learn all stuff by heart but then why have any icons at all?

This. This was the biggest "Why???" I had when seeing the new tech tree. Things like "+1 productions for mines" or "gain 1 envoy" just by researching a tech are basicly hidden. There was a generic symbol in CivV's tech tree and I really don't understand why it's not there now. These are important things too and I don't want to hover over every tech just to see if there is a hidden unlock. :/

All of this stuff should be fixed/added by release day, since I think the early reviewers got a earlier build of the game.

A trade route overview screen civ5 style that shows every possible trade route to/from every city you own and can be sorted by yield.

Maybe it's already there but in every video I've seen, selecting a trader shows routes available for the current city only. You have to spend a turn moving the trader to another city to see what routes are available there and do that for every city you want to check.

The worst part is that I don't think there is a way to come back to those notification (at least none of the youtubers I have watch even try) is you were not able to read them all.

I'm pretty sure you can read the notifications in the diplo screen, but you'd have to click through each leader to do so. A unified "notification log" would be nice to have (although I don't consider it essential).

I'd also really like to see female heads/busts in the Great People Overview for Great People like Boudicca. I'm not really militant about these things, but there is no reason why we should only have male heads/busts for Great People. Of course, you could argue that the head/bust is just a symbol or an emblem, which is not individualized for the respective Great Person. However, they did make an effort to make the head/bust for the Great Musician look unique.

Last edited:
A trade route overview screen civ5 style that shows every possible trade route to/from every city you own and can be sorted by yield.

Maybe it's already there but in every video I've seen, selecting a trader shows routes available for the current city only. You have to spend a turn moving the trader to another city to see what routes are available there and do that for every city you want to check.

Has anyone seen what the "All" link above the list of trade routes does on their selection screen. I assume it is a filter. That list gets long in the late game.

This. This was the biggest "Why???" I had when seeing the new tech tree. Things like "+1 productions for mines" or "gain 1 envoy" just by researching a tech are basicly hidden. There was a generic symbol in CivV's tech tree and I really don't understand why it's not there now. These are important things too and I don't want to hover over every tech just to see if there is a hidden unlock. :/

Very much agree
-have "bonus ability" shape (just like there is one for agreements/units/buildings/wonders/etc.)
-have a picture of a spy/envoy/improvement that gets boosted...or leave it blank for miscellaneous

They could also add some info on the Policy cards... so that you know this one is a science boost, and this one is a housing boost, this one is a melee boost, that one is a cavalry boost
(most fit into clear categories, and the rest you can leave blank for miscellaneous

Hopefully an Enhanced UI Mod will come out quickly to give us all the information we need as Firaxis has not seemed to put a lot of effort into making the UI nice and concise and informative.

What I really want is an undo move option. I can't tell you how many times I have had to reload because the wrong unit was selected when I tried to move it. I watched Filthy make that mistake several times although his where caused by the unit cycling.

Top Bottom