UI that needs to be fixed day 1

1. Game autocycling the units
  2. The values update on the next turn (like +1 > +2 science), not sure this one is intentional or not
  3. When selecting production tab you don't know which city that list of buildings to choose is from

It also seems that fading out the unit symbol does not work correctly: sometimes units are still faded out at the beginning of the turn, when they have full movement.

Not sure if already mentioned, but in his Kongo game Marbozir kept checking every turn for chances to declare friendship or send delegations... It's precisely the sort of inane busywork that I hoped would be gone in Civ VI.
Well, they can't put everything into the UI. It'll be too cluttered for many players who don't care to minmax everything. This is better left to mods, which power players will install many of anyways.

It also seems that fading out the unit symbol does not work correctly: sometimes units are still faded out at the beginning of the turn, when they have full movement.
Yes, that one is a critical issue also!

One thing I think really needs an urgent fix is that when you press "sleep"/"skip turn" for a unit, you can't change your mind and wake it up. That's going to be not only something that's a serious nuisance, but also something that has serious impact on the game.

That's not true, I don't think (at least I've seen players rescind sleep orders), but fortifying does end the unit's turn.

Faded out unit icons indicates that the unit has previous orders. It'll take some getting used to, but I think it's working as intended.

This isn't purely UI, but the Civilopedia needs to be *much* more detailed, with diagrams where applicable, for new players to grasp some key concepts. Look at how the Youtubers were struggling with the Naturalist (and they're not new players). Every one of them I've seen looked at the Civilopedia entry, but still had *no* clue that
  1. the tiles have to be exactly in an upright diamond shape
  2. the tile you select is the bottommost tile of the diamond
  3. the naturalist doesn't need to be on/adjacent to said tile
1 and 2 are very easy to explain with a small diagram.

Huh. Wonder what the point of the Naturalist unit is if you don't have to move it, then. And you can't pick a horizontal diamond? Sadness.

Huh. Wonder what the point of the Naturalist unit is if you don't have to move it, then.
Yes, I'd rather let him have 4 movement and have to be present at the site.

With the current system the natural park could just as well be a "district" you designate from a city for a cost of faith.

That's not true, I don't think (at least I've seen players rescind sleep orders), but fortifying does end the unit's turn.
Either way, that is extremely bad game design. It's unnecessary and adds nothing to the game, becaus fortifying the unit has no effect until the AI's turn.

Faded out unit icons indicates that the unit has previous orders. It'll take some getting used to, but I think it's working as intended.
Again, unnecessary and bad design, because this has high likeliness of the playing making mistakes by overlooking a possible unit action, while it doesn't add anything because a unit that already has an action will not come up in the unit cycle unless player selects it.

All the numbers really need to update in realtime when you for example shuffle tiles around.

This is the one thing that annoys me the most. This is very very important and the only reason for it not being there is sloppy coding. Also I think their justification for amenities updating next turn after trade ("the department of luxuries needing time to distribute") while a good joke, is ridiculous. It is still sloppy and needs to be fixed. Them "explaining it away" though makes me worried they won't bother.

Yes, I'd rather let him have 4 movement and have to be present at the site.

With the current system the natural park could just as well be a "district" you designate from a city for a cost of faith.
Well you shouldn't have to move them to the tile, unless they can move on mountains and other impassable tiles (although that could make sense)

Also horizontal&vertical diamonds are different in hex grid

All of this stuff should be fixed/added by release day, since I think the early reviewers got a earlier build of the game.

Perhaps some things might, but usually only small changes are made a month before release. Big teams need time to test changes to complex systems and approval from various project leaders. I am willing to bet the game released on release day will be mostly like the copy given to the youtubers (with everything unlocked)

Either way, that is extremely bad game design. It's unnecessary and adds nothing to the game, becaus fortifying the unit has no effect until the AI's turn.

It's quite impactful in simultaneous MP.

Again, unnecessary and bad design, because this has high likeliness of the playing making mistakes by overlooking a possible unit action, while it doesn't add anything because a unit that already has an action will not come up in the unit cycle unless player selects it.

Well the unit already has orders, so theoretically it's actions are already assigned - I'd guess it's meant to cut down on micro.

But I agree, some other indication (a small icon on a la promotion number) would be nice for this!

Not sure if already mentioned, but in his Kongo game Marbozir kept checking every turn for chances to declare friendship or send delegations... It's precisely the sort of inane busywork that I hoped would be gone in Civ VI. :rolleyes:

Also, while not technically a UI issue, the endless stacking of civilian units with your own and allied military units really, really, really needs to be the case. That mod will have 200,000 downloads on day 1, I guarantee it.

The diplo stuff would in real life be what advisers are for! I would really appreciate it if the adviser would label diplomatic opportunities like these the moment we enter the diplo screen. I mean, 80% of the diplo screen is used to show the leader model. I'm sure we could spare some more space for some useful infographics.

Also I saw in Marbozir's game that a foreign unit stayed on his Horse tile for a while, making it impossible to improve the tile. This really needs to be fixed. The AI should actively avoid stopping on an unimproved resource tile within the player's border if they have open borders with the player.

Some other improvements to the UI I'd love to see:
  • A key-bind for citizen management. Or better a pair of keys to cycle from the different city view, i.e. citizen management <-> buy tile <-> production menu <-> buy with gold etc. So I can click on a city, then say use Q and E to switch to the different city view modes.
  • A key-bind for "click on the next notification/next turn button". I want to bind it to my mouse button 4.
  • A key-bind for opening up the city view of the city closest to the center of the screen. It can even just be a built-in action to the Q and E keys mentioned above.
  • Manual unit cycling key and option to turn off auto cycling.
  • A key-bind to immediately open up civlopedia and put the cursor inside the search box. So I can say press '/' and start typing.
  • An option to color-in barbarian camps in the fog of war.
  • Scrolling speed adjustment of the tech/civics/great people panels.
  • More compact tech and civic tree displays. (I think a vertical tech/civic tree display may be better?)
  • Eureka moment progression. Instead of "build 3 mines", say "build 0/3 mines".
  • Borderless Windowed mode! I haven't seen anyone confirm or deny that it's possible in Civ VI.

They really better have implemented true full screen windowed mode. I have a dual head display and being able to check my email without having to ALT-TAB out of the game is really important. A game I play a lot that is over fire years old does this so seamlessly it makes Civ V feel like a dinosaur.

Also, while not technically a UI issue, the endless stacking of civilian units with your own and allied military units really, really, really needs to be the case. That mod will have 200,000 downloads on day 1, I guarantee it.

Yes! I cannot believe this didn't make it in.

I would give to the guys of this thread a discount of $5 if I was in Firaxis, because of the excellent beta testing, even without the game !!!!!

Top Bottom