UI that needs to be fixed day 1

Maybe I've missed it but an indication of which tiles are likely to be acquired via city cultural border growth.

And all the other suggestions in this thread. I know devs are looking at the game for ages so will miss stuff but UI in strategy games (paradox games especially) is so often inadequate.

Hopefully an Enhanced UI Mod will come out quickly to give us all the information we need as Firaxis has not seemed to put a lot of effort into making the UI nice and concise and informative.

What I really want is an undo move option. I can't tell you how many times I have had to reload because the wrong unit was selected when I tried to move it. I watched Filthy make that mistake several times although his where caused by the unit cycling.

There I think it would be better to fix the unit cycling (it shouldn't be automatic)

Your image made me rethink another UI improvement that could be made: religion color should not be linked to symbols (the links made are arbitrary anyway). Religion colors should be assigned by creation order and be distinctive enough of each other, to avoid the "is this Tao or Catholic" issue evidenced in religion let's play.

The icon color could be the same as the founder civs! That way you imidetly know hows religion that spread to you. But it is not a big problem.

I haven't yet noticed if there is a means to list cities and sort by production, population, etc. That should be in there. Ditto for units of course.

I haven't yet noticed if there is a means to list cities and sort by production, population, etc. That should be in there. Ditto for units of course.
That is what i was searching for, too. I saw a unit list in a screenshot, but no cities.

Phew, you are right about this! I just realized because I watched a later LP some minutes ago and every turn the player received 4-7 notifications spamming the middle of the screen - sticking there for a few seconds while the turns were taken by the AI :wow: - He couldn't even see the movement of the other units regulary. I hate that. And furthermore after they vanished there's no way to check what just was shown to you.

put ALL notifications on the lower right
I second that! And the notification there should be stacked as well...
A Log would be helpful generally speaking.

I agree with so much in this thread. Personally, this would be my order of priority for UI improvements.

1. Icons for everything on the tech tree. This is critical, very critical. Often times, there are techs that you research solely for the bonus. To give a CiV example, how much of a priority is Chemistry in a game where you aren't taking cities? If the production improvements weren't obvious, it would be incredibly low priority.

2. Culture borders, next tile and turns till growth. I really don't want to buy a tile that my borders might expand to in 3 turns.

3. Empire overview screen. Knowing which cities are highest production, or highest whatever, without clicking through every city makes life much easier in a handful of situations, and is generally good to know anytime, without having to guess or do a lot of memorization or if you just want a comparison.

A trade route overview screen civ5 style that shows every possible trade route to/from every city you own and can be sorted by yield.

Maybe it's already there but in every video I've seen, selecting a trader shows routes available for the current city only. You have to spend a turn moving the trader to another city to see what routes are available there and do that for every city you want to check.
In one of Quill's Rome LP videos he very briefly opens up a trade overview screen for every city before quickly closing it.

This isn't purely UI, but the Civilopedia needs to be *much* more detailed, with diagrams where applicable, for new players to grasp some key concepts. Look at how the Youtubers were struggling with the Naturalist (and they're not new players). Every one of them I've seen looked at the Civilopedia entry, but still had *no* clue that
  1. the tiles have to be exactly in an upright diamond shape
  2. the tile you select is the bottommost tile of the diamond
  3. the naturalist doesn't need to be on/adjacent to said tile
1 and 2 are very easy to explain with a small diagram.

i thinx a youtuber filthyrobot made a good point about a missing tooltip for when you city grows:

in civ 5 you get a pop up "city" as grown to size 2. This will give you info so you can change the tiles asigment. It seems you can forget to change tile assigments.

They need to spice up the UI and add more colors to make certain things stand out more. Too many of the buttons blend in with each other since everything has the same color. The mechanics need tweaking too.

1. Make the Goodie Huts stand out more. Add a bright bonfire or something.
2. Make the "Found a New City" button shine gold or glow or something. Make founding a city just that much more appealing instead of just the pale-beige button it has in the preview LPs that looks like every other button.
3. Make the Upgrade Unit button a glowing Green Arrow.
4. Fix Garrisoned Unit Icons from phasing over the City Name and having the name unreadable. Have the icon above or below the city name bar.
5. Make the edge of the Tech and Civics bars in the lop left have rounded edges, not the sharp square edges it has.
6. Please make pillaged tiles stand out more. Add more fire or pillars of smoke or SOMETHING please.
7. Make the Unit Promotion button glow or flicker or sparkle or something. Make it stand out more.
8. This is more optional, but you can make the Zone of Control borders not be red, but Orange.
9. Please fix the Unit Cycling!
10. Add Symbols for the bonuses given from the Tech tree. Civ 5 at least had generic star symbols for the bonuses (+1 Production if you find Fertilizer for example) in the tech tree, Civ 6 should have it too.
11. An archaeology lens!
12. If the Preview LPs are something to go off, I hope they make that adviser less intrusive. Put her on the right side of the screen and have her talk as I play. The way it is now where it darkens the screen, stops your gameplay and forces you to read 4 updates from the same woman one after another is way too intrusive and annoying.
13. Captured settlers should become workers, not stay as settlers.

Last edited:
Not sure if already mentioned, but in his Kongo game Marbozir kept checking every turn for chances to declare friendship or send delegations... It's precisely the sort of inane busywork that I hoped would be gone in Civ VI. :rolleyes:

Also, while not technically a UI issue, the endless stacking of civilian units with your own and allied military units really, really, really needs to be the case. That mod will have 200,000 downloads on day 1, I guarantee it.

The fear of introducing new last minute bugs will prevent Firaxians to do any tweaks unless untill 10 days after the release unless something huge would surface f.i the game stops at turn 115

One thing I think really needs an urgent fix is that when you press "sleep"/"skip turn" for a unit, you can't change your mind and wake it up. That's going to be not only something that's a serious nuisance, but also something that has serious impact on the game.

Also, while not technically a UI issue, the endless stacking of civilian units with your own and allied military units really, really, really needs to be the case. That mod will have 200,000 downloads on day 1, I guarantee it.
Agreed, I coulnd't believe my eyes when I saw that they had not implemented that features this time around.

Top Bottom