1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Undocumented Patch 217 notes

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by magnus333, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

Well, consider the time it takes to get 3 policies vs the time to research Calendar and build Stonehenge (or another tech/wonder combo). People getting Meritocracy have the option of getting a free wonder long before anyone else can possibly build it. On a large size map, enough AI's choose the great engineer so it seems nearly impossible to get an ancient or classical wonder.

I've been thinking about changing Meritocracy's prerequisites... a free great person so soon in the game is problematic.

2. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

and then you have to question what to use the GP for... if the best early wonders are already gone do you grab a GS and slap down an academy in your capital? Do you get a GE to build the GL, getting the bonus tech plus early early GS points? What about manufactory now that it's +4h? Or even, gasp, plop down +6g on a tile... lots of great options imho

3. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

Yes, Civ5 is now looking like a badly wounded patient covered with lots of different bandages of different ages, colours, sizes and shapes. It's been nerfed, hacked, tweaked, tinkered with in a thousand ways since release and the whole patch process is getting tiresome - each new patch bringing in new issues that require yet another future patch, which will yet again change the game in fundamental ways.

YAWN.

4. StilRH

StilRH Chieftain

I can second atolls, workers stopping work even when enemy units are miles (4-5 tiles for me) away, and the garrisoned unit = 'missile' unit thing so far.

5. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

What else can you do in the time you've spent those three policies? I mean, are things on the Tradition branch really that underpowered compared to a one-shot Great Person?

6. Thalassicus

Tradition isn't underpowered as a whole, an instant wonder vs +20% wonder production speed is really no contest for the specific case of early game wonders, since their build costs were about tripled.

7. ColinTH

ColinTH Prince

I welcome the warning - the workers don't actually stop - they pause for a refreshment of orders, takes a little longer to play the game but the game is not a race against time!

8. SpearMan153

SpearMan153 Prince

if (maintenance == 0) then
    display text = missile

ok I want the developer responsible for this found and made an example of :D

9. Goknub

Goknub Chieftain

lol I thought the same, though it would be easy to miss.

Who would remember that the mouseover text draws its info from the maintenance cost.

10. glaivemaster

glaivemaster Prince

It may just be something I'm missing, but there seems to be a problem with interception now. Not that I've really seen interception before anyway, but Japan were bombing my cities with Zeros and the two fighters I had stationed just sat and let them do it.

Is this a problem that's come up before, or am I missing something really obvious?

11. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

Fixed that for you. If it's in a tree other than Order or Autocracy, it's going to cause problems.

12. Thalassicus

The end of the Patronage tree gives various types of great people, yet I haven't seen feelings from people that's too powerful. It's partially because Meritocracy's version can be chosen at will and appears at the capital, but I think part if it is also because the Patronage great person comes much later.

Compare a great person at turn ~150 vs one at turn ~30 after lucky culture rewards from ruins? Especially on a large map where a few AIs beeline this policy and rush wonders, it's not possible to get any as the player, marginalizing the Aristocracy policy in the Tradition tree.

It's all sorta getting onto a totally different topic though, didn't mean to derail the thread and will continue the conversation elsewhere at a later time. :)

13. Teperi Blaze

Teperi Blaze Warlord

One lost wonder doesn't kill the game.

14. Dedrytus

Dedrytus Warlord

When moving air units, cities in range are marked. Number above carrier do not stay on the water after you moved it. You can capture Machu Picchu. Hmmm and when you build wealth or science and you want to add something to the queue, game allows to add only one thing then it backs to the city view.

*I played a few more games. You can not capture Machu Picchu. I made mistake*

15. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

I might be crazy, but it seems like cultural border expansion is more sane: goes for production and third-ring resources more readily. Anyone else notice this?

16. Montov

Montov King

I still see the expension follows the cost of the tile, with resources as the tiebreaker.

17. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

AI scouts take barabarian camps if undefended
    AI ships attack embarked units

18. Thalassicus

Dunno if you're testing in vanilla, but I tweaked the priorities a bit in TBC so border expansion is more intelligent.

19. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

Good to know!:) (In UP?) Though I thought I noticed it in vanilla as well.

20. Thalassicus

Not in the unofficial patch, since I avoid gameplay changes in that whenever possible. It's in the balance - city development general.xml file. The distance multiplier and water cost are adjusted to favor the third ring a little more, and water tiles are weighted equally with land (so expansion to water vs land is determined solely by yields).