Unique unit elimination thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 36 -3 = 33. With only 3 Pitati Archers, I can bring a civilization to its knees, but...
War Cart (Sumer) - 33 + 1 = 34. With only 3 War Carts, I can wipe a civilization off the map.

Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 30 (33-3). Requires DLC
War Cart (Sumer) - 35 (34+1). Is in base game.

Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 31 (30+1) - Because the game isn't called Domination. This unit provides foundational strength and capability to your empire through Industrial. Hammer for hammer I think this would win over WarCart too. Get some trees and hills and put 6 Pitati on 5 WarCarts and I bet Pitati would win because of their one way (ranged) damage, movement bonus, and 50% xp bonus for heals and quicker promoted damage.
War Cart (Sumer) - 32 (35-3) - One trick donkey.

Ive not played with either of these but I'll vote based on playing against Nubia and Sumerian as Greece.

Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 32 (31 + 1). These are a nightmare to deal with using any class of unit. Two shots would normally take one of my units out.
War Cart (Sumer) - 29 (32 - 3). My Hoplites are tearing these guys to shreds.

Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 33 (32+1) --- Only handicap is the longer term viability of its unit class in the late game (ranged), but in the most common empire building phase of the game (early) it has all the right stuff and then some. Mid game crossbow (then field cannon) upgrades with 4+ promotions are almost as devastating as the original ancient era archer brigade. No strategic resources required for any of it.
War Cart (Sumer) – 26 (29-3) --- Unit is very early game and usually never benefits from the promotion bonuses of a stable, making it somewhat less competitive over the longer term. Becomes very fragile around the time horsemanship hits. This can compound your promotion problem, as your (2+ promotion) units can start getting killed off fairly easily. No iron can be a BIG problem for mid game empire building follow through.

Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 30 (33-3) - Needs other units to perform it's main early game purpose - the rush.
War Cart (Sumer) – 27 (26+1) - Can do the rush with just them. Also, you can use them to make sure you have iron for the later promotion :D

New Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 28 (-3) it may be my favourite to play but it is not free nor instant
War Cart (Sumer) – 25 (+1) that they upgrade to knights just makes them superior

New Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 29 (+1) Take the best unit in the game, and make it better at literally everything. What where they thinking?
War Cart (Sumer) – 22 (-3) Obsoletes quicker than the Archer

New Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 26 (29 - 3) No donkeys included
War Cart (Sumer) – 23 (22 + 1) Multiple donkeys included

On a more serious note they're so close, I'd say the Pitati Archers are the better overall unit, but the war cart is pretty unique in the series as far as I recall.

EDIT: To be in compliance with the first rule, I'd say the war cart is better since it's a high mobility unit available right off the bat. That can mean a lot in civ, especially with Sumer's barb camp bonus. The pitati archer is great due to how strong ranged units are in general, but I think the warcart would be my choice if I had to pick between the two.

Last edited:
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 26+1=27 - These two are both incredibly great units that are able to wreck any close neighbouring Civ you meet... But I just like ranged units more, and you'll build these faster with Nubian bonuses.
War-Cart (Sumer) – 23-3=20 - See Pítati Archer.

Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 27-3=24 Not worth the win.
War-Cart (Sumer) – 20+1=21 As said, these upgrade to knights.

Personally I think Eagles and Hetairoi are better than both of these units over the course of a full game. The below two don't require much finesse and are pretty unbalanced in multiplayer.

Pitati Archer (Nubia): 24 - 3 = 21 (Great at killing units - not so great at taking down cities and as a previous poster mentioned much of their value is due to Nubia's ability. I think archers are a little overrated)
War-Cart 21 + 1 = 22 (Push comes to shove if Nubia starts next to Sumeria then I think Sumeria takes them out more often than not. Carts are available earlier and can mow down cities and units like nothing else especially in open terrain and more cities early translates to a bigger advantage)

Last edited:
Pitati Archer (Nubia): 18 (21 - 3) I think the Warcart is better for an early rush
War-Cart 23 (22 + 1) Great at early rush, you get them from the get go.

]Pitati Archer (Nubia): 15 (18 - 3) I think the Warcart is better for an early rush and defense
War Cart (Sumeria): 24 (23+1) - if I could hand pick my civ's uniques, this would be my unit if I was playing to win

Pitati Archer (Nubia): 12 (15 - 3) - some cheap math
War Cart (Sumeria): 25 (24+1) - some cheap math

Pitati Archer = 30/17
War-Cart = 30

Damage = 30 * 1.041^(Difference in Strength)*(Random modifier)

I can't find anything specific in my quick search, but I see an approximation that says -10 health means -1 strength, which matches my vague recollection, so I'm going to use that for now, as though every 10 is a strength point lost (80 is 1 weaker than 90-81). Please feel free to re-do this with more accurate calculations.

Also, because we cannot assume random numbers will benefit either side, I'm going to ignore them, with the vague idea that an infinite number of tests would roughly ignore it when averaged together. (I haven't done stats in years, leave me alone).

Pitati first:

Pitati 100, War-Cart 70
Pitati 55.2, War-Cart 50
Pitati 55.2, War-Cart 18.8
Pitati 12, War-Cart -2 (Dead)

War-Cart first:
War-Cart 82.2, Pitati 49.4
War-Cart 56.7, Pitati 49.4
War-Cart 39.6, Pitati -3.2 (Dead)

Survivors- Pitati First:
Pitati 12, War-Cart 11
Pitati -38 (Dead), -6 (Dead)

Survivors- War-Cart First:
War-Cart 23.2, Pitati -42.8 (Dead)

Bonus Round - War-Cart (23.2) v additional damaged Pitati (12):

Pitati First
Pitati 12, War-Cart -5.6 (Dead)
War-Cart First
War-Cart 6.1, Pitati -40.6 (Dead)

Essentially, in head to head combat, the War-Cart will win, but barely enough to make a difference. So, I'm giving them points for that. But, you can take that with a grain of salt for several reasons. First, War-Carts are available sooner, but Pitati are I believe slightly cheaper with Nubian bonuses. Second, Pitati’s can use city and encampment covers for protection when attacking, War-Carts can capture cities. Third, War-Carts turn into the powerful knight unit, but that will need iron. Pitati turn into the respectable crossbow units, no resources needed.

Pitati Archer (Nubia): 9 (12 - 3) - can't believe these are regarded as better than Eagle Warriors, Pitai are way over rated in this thread.
War Cart (Sumeria): 26 (25+1) - best unit in the game - build from the start, no upkeep, what's not to love

Pitati Archer (Nubia): 10 (9 + 1) - Cheap to build, upgrades to double shot fast, powerful, superior mobility, can strike without being hit from range, 30 str. This is basically the perfect unit. Yes, war cart is very strong at the start, but it's strength tapers off fairly quickly. It sucks against horsemen and swordsmen. Pitati Archer shreds both of those. The archer can even be effective against knights when it has double shot, before you upgrade to Xbows.
War Cart (Sumeria): 23 (26 - 3) - as I said, great unit, but it peaks fast. If enemy has swordsmen or horsemen (which comes relatively fast on deity play) then war carts are SOL. It is fantastic for zero rush right at start but will quickly become useless until you get knights. Even then, upgrading a bunch of war carts to knights (assuming you have iron! Archer doesn't need resources) can be exorbitantly expensive. War Cart in sum is an outstanding unit that goes into a limbo period once the opponents tech up a little. Pitati Archer just gets stronger and stronger in a steady upward curve.

Pitati Archer (Nubia): 11 (10+1) Pretty much what the above poster said. The perfect unit. Cheaper to produce, starts super strong with extra strength and speed, and keeps getting better with the super quick promotions leading to double shot xbows. Last diety game I played I had quite a few pitati's with 6 or even 7 promotions before upgrading them to xbows.
War Cart (Sumeria): 20 (23-3) Really strong unit, can't really say anything bad about it. Just think the way it all synergises and comes together for the Pitati is a bit more impressive.

Pitati Archer (Nubia): 8 (11 - 3) As a I said before, this unit is good but not better than War Carts. You need like 2 or 3 Pitati Archers to take one Cart

War Cart (Sumeria): 21 (20 + 1) No combat penalties against anti-cavalry units, ignore zone of control, you get it from the start. What not to love about it? By the time the Pitati Archer come, their civ would be most likely conquered by War Carts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom