Unique unit elimination thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, don't vote with the new patch! Don't vote with your beers inside you, the patch has nothing to do with this thread!
Second: "If you take away Nubia's civ ability, the extra xp and production towards ranged units, and only look at the unit itself the Pitati are much less impressive"
Are you truly a dimwit? Then it would be the same implications to all other units. What a silly thing to say.

Moderator Action: Do not troll other posters. Browd
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 10
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) – 18
Mamluk (Arabia) – 2 (5-3) Just not in the right era, but still an amazing unit.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 40
War Cart (Sumer) – 34 ( 33+1) I know ppl loves the Pitati Archer, and so do I. But these guys can make more damage faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 10
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) – 18
Mamluk (Arabia) – -1(2-3) Eliminated - And then there were 4. A knight rush is very effective. These make it more so... but someone has to sit down.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 41 (40+1) - I never play Deity because I hate how the game arbitrarily applies "difficulty" by giving the AI huge bonuses. But Pitati make Deity a walk in the park. I'm currently playing a Deity game and wiping out both Persia and the Aztecs to the West and South while using a Pitati to scout to the East and 2 more hunting barbarian camps. Will this unit steamroll a continent in 100 turns? No... but I'm not planning on a domination win.

War Cart (Sumer) – 34

It's unfortunate that the Spring patch made changes to these units at the end of our run. Maybe we'll need to do this again in a couple weeks after we can test drive the changes ;) I know Immortal would be Top 10 at the least. The Beserker changes are intriguing too.

I was thinking I won't vote another time, because it's going to be really hard, but seeing Heitaroi above Eagle Warrior made me reconsider.

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 11 (10 + 1) - I value more builders way over more generals.
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) – 15 (18 - 3) - see above

Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 41
War Cart (Sumer) – 34

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 11 -3 = 8. It's easy enough to build up your civilization when all your neighbors have been conquered.
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) – 15
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 41
War Cart (Sumer) – 34 + 1 = 35. The rolling death sweeps aside any foolish enough to stand in its way.

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 8. OmegaDestroyer's description seems like a pretty good reason to favor this. ?
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) – 15
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 38 (41-3=38) Don't see the archer as that good a unit.
War Cart (Sumer) – 36 (35+ 1 = 35) Of the remaining, I think the carts, followed by the eagles, are the best.

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 8 - @Forster, I think he meant that it's easy to build a Civilization when you conquer your neighbours entirely, and he wanted to say that the other three units are doing a better job at that.
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) – 15-3=12 - Their speed, GG bonus and free promotions are great. Their basic strength? Not so much. They are only +1 point stronger than regular Horseman, and +20 production points more expensive. Also, it can be countered by Anti-Cav units.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 38+1=39 - Fast enough to run away/chase AND shoot in one turn, and it's +5 points stronger than the unit it replaces. The Nubian bonuses allow them to exp real fast, and you can pump them out in large numbers real fast.
War Cart (Sumer) – 36

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 8 - 3 = 5
2 movement is too slow to be a straight game winner. As stated earlier, upgrading to the weak swordsman... and to the mediocre musket. Wonderful if you get lucky, but otherwise, not as reliable.

Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) 12 + 1 = 13
Those who say spears counter horses probably have never learned the meaning of flanking (and I suspect are probably players who just ram their units into the enemy blindly... hence preferring UUs with raw damage bonuses) and fail to realize how important it is for a unit to ignore ZoC.
But any deity player worth their salt will tell you, horses/knights have no real counter. You don't believe me, try fighting your generic deity horse barbs (35 strength, not the 20 strength version) with spears... (see how the clumsy spearmen clog up each other and how hard it is to get 2-3 spears hitting the same horse?) now try it again with horses... Notice how easily it is to beat horses with horses than with spears? Enemy deity AI sends knights at your lands... what do you build if you had both pikeman and knight techs? (even though pikeman tech is a useless leaf tech) I'd wager a small fortune that most deity players would build knights.

Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 39 -
War Cart (Sumer) – 36

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 5
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) – 10 (13-3; I think this deserves fourth, which is an impressive finish itself, but it seems destined for third. Just not quite as good as the others).
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 39
War Cart (Sumer) – 37 (36+1; Going for the warcart again, only on the grounds that I think warcarts could take out those archers, due to likely having more of them by the time of interaction, and the fact that the archers have to stay in target range on the war carts to hit them (unlike many units that can't quite cover the distance each turn). That said, it's basically a coin flip).

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 2 (5-3) (Emmm, I like Eagle Warrior, but compared with other candidates have to make this hard call...)
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) – 11 (10+1) (Hetairoi has ideal promotion class for horseman-knight play. Doesn't require horses, doesn't even require Encampments for first several GGs.)
War Cart (Sumer) – 37

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 2 -3 = ELIMINATED
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) – 11 (10+1) (Hetairoi has ideal promotion class for horseman-knight play. Doesn't require horses, doesn't even require Encampments for first several GGs.)
War Cart (Sumer) – 38 (37 + 1) So good early game

Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) – 8 (11 - 3): Nothing wrong with it, it’s just the weakest unit left. It should’ve been fifth behind the Mamluk & Eagle Warrior in my opinion.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 40 (39 + 1): Yup. Still the best unit in the game. Finals should come down to this & the War Cart. Nothing else comes close.
War Cart (Sumer) – 38

Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 8
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 37 (40 - 3) If 5 Pitati Archers go against 5 War Carts, the War Carts would win
War Cart (Sumer) - 39 (38 + 1) If 5 War Carts go against 5 Pitati Archers, the War Carts would win

Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 5 (8-3) Strong unit, just not on the same level as the other 2
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 38 (37+1) My pick for best UU. Either it or War Cart would be worthy winners though
War Cart (Sumer) - 39

Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 5
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 39 (38+1) I continue to believe this unit is the most powerful. Particularly on deity play where AI archers are very very deadly. Having Nubian archers allows you to have a major edge over the AI long into the mid game push, which you can easily build into an insurmountable lead.
War Cart (Sumer) - 36 (39 - 3) I love war carts, and it is hard to vote them down, but the last game I played with Macedon, in all honestly once I got that horse unit I started literally taking over the entire world just pumping them out. War Cart has a similar capability, but not as much side benefit.

RIP Eagle Warrior. I guess +8 on a 20 strength unit that generates free builders that directly feed your civ ability wasn't enough.

Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 36 (39-3) No real downsides. I don't have the heart to help eliminate the Hetairoi though.
War Cart (Sumer) - 37 (36+1) No real limits to how many you can build. No need for conscription. Just bee-line Maneuver. Doesn't replace any existing unit. Lose a few? No worries....at least for the civ that's building them...

Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 37 = (36+1) Sad to see my beloved Eagle Warrior go. These are the next best thing. Ranged units are awesome already, giving them extra buffs is crazy powerful.
War Cart (Sumer) - 34 = (37-3) Not as strong as the Pitati.

Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 2 (5-3) Let's get on with this
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 37
War Cart (Sumer) - 35 = (34+1) War carts I find threatening as a player, pitati archers have never wrecked me

Second: "If you take away Nubia's civ ability, the extra xp and production towards ranged units, and only look at the unit itself the Pitati are much less impressive"
Are you truly a dimwit? Then it would be the same implications to all other units. What a silly thing to say.
1) There is no need for names. This is supposed to be a fun thread.
2) I don’t think it’s crazy to judge the value of a unit based off of the unit itself. If you want to judge based off of any additional synergies that’s fine. The OP doesn’t specify how each unit is supposed to be judged so it’s open to interpretation.
3) I think I’ve been consistent in the criteria that I’ve voted on so far so yes, the same implications apply to all the units.

Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - 2
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 34 = 37 - 3. Sticking to my guns. A lot of their power comes from Nubia’s civ ability and I gotta have some justification for down voting right?
War Cart (Sumer) - 36 = 35 + 1. Not my #1 or even #2 but they do pack a pretty mean punch earlier than any other unit

Last edited:
Hetairoi (Macedon/Alexander) - ELIMINATED (3 - 2) Perhaps I should have been tactical about this, and downvoted the War-Cart instead. It would have put my favorite in the lead. However, I choose to be honest. The War-Cart is an excellent unit, with no real weaknesses and downsides, beyond being ever so slightly inferior to the Pitati Archer. The Hetairoi is not up to the level of these two.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 35 (34 + 1) Synergies with UAs count. The Pitati Archer would have been great without them, but the fact that it works so well with them pushes it over the top. It is clear that the UU and UA were designed to work together. For one thing, it brings the otherwise somewhat high production cost of the Pitati down well below that of the War-Cart. So those 5 War-Carts mentioned earlier would actually be facing 6 Pitatis. Would they still win? On completely open terrain, probably, but in a real combat situation, I doubt it. Don't underestimate the flexibility range gives you. Archers can use defensive terrain better, attack more frequently, and focus fire more effectively. They will also level up more quickly, providing heals and abilities. Furthermore, Archers don't take return damage when they attack, can hide inside fortifications and still be able to attack the nearest 18 tiles, and they can hide behind other units. Some people have mentioned the only real drawback of the Pitati, and ranged units in general, which is that they can't take cities alone. This is true, but it is really not a big problem, and the flip side of it is that they don't take any return damage when they attack, in any situation. I do think that is more valuable. As for a city siege situation, the Pitatis will quickly kill off any defending units and bring city HP down to 0. Depending on your planning, perhaps they will then need to hang around a couple of turns, farming some XP while waiting for a Warrior, Horseman or even Scout to finish the job. It is a small price to pay for being an Ancient Era unit which combines mobility with range.
War Cart (Sumer) - 36

Last edited:
No intentions of causing a brawl, Browd, just clear facts, we are voting for the best unit in the game. As is!

Now what? I so love them both and which one can get the advantage of the other?

Pítati Archer (Nubia) - 36 (35 +1) I think Pitati Archers are insane on defense and offense, by their extra move.
War Cart (Sumer) - 33 (36 -3) Unit against unit, I think war carts would suck against Pitati's on a hill.
Another insane unit, play them right and you conquer a continent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom