1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit Request Thread 3

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Plotinus, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Meteor Man

Meteor Man En Route to M81

And the Congo look close enough to the Bantu to use Plotinus' Bantu Spearman.

2. Finds71

Finds71 Chieftain

Hi everyone. Here is a request for a few units for one of my ww2 maps.
    First I would like to thank the artists for all the great job that have done so far, and all the fantastic units they have offered us. I know that already a lot of ww2 units have been made but I think that players like me could use a few more.

So....

First: The D2 french medium tank, early war.

Spoiler :

Weight: ........... 19.75 tonnes
    Length: ........... 5.46 m
    Width: ............ 2.22 m
    Height: ........... 2.66 m
    Crew: ............. 3
    Armor: ............ 40 mm
    1st Armament: ... 47 mm SA 34
    2nd Armament: .. 2x 7.5 mm MG
    Engine:............ 150 hp
    Fuel: .............. Petrol 352 ltr
    Range: ............ 100 km
    Speed: ............ (road) 23 km/h
    ..................... (off-road) 16 km/h

Quick comparison with the Panzer III. The Char D2 is slower, armor a bit weaker. Shorter operational range. Better firepower until the Panzer III was upgraded later in the war.

Second:
    Fictional/what if unit, the Somua S42 french medium tank mid war.
    Spoiler :

Weight: .......... 21.5 tonnes
    Length: ........... 5.38 m
    Width: ............ 2.12 m
    Height: ........... 2.62 m
    Crew: ............. 4
    Armor: ............ 60 mm
    1st Armament: ... 75mm
    2nd Armament: .. 1x 7.5 mm MG
    Engine: ........... 230 hp
    Fuel: .............. Petrol 500 ltr
    Range: ............ 225 km
    Speed: ........... (road) 40 km/h
    .................... (off-road) 30 km/h

Compared to the Sherman, this tank is similar in size. Same firepower, also close in armor protection. This tank`s engine is a bit weaker than the M4 Sherman, but because of it`s weight the tank is as fast.

And last but not least:
    The Amiot 354 french medium bomber early war:
    Spoiler :

Take-off weight: .......... 11,3 tonnes
    Length: ........... 14.5 m
    Wingspan: ............ 22.83 m
    Crew: ............. 4
    Engine: ........... 2 x 1060 hp
    Range: ............ 1200 km
    Speed: ........... 480km/h

Weaker than the Heinkel He111, shorter range, but faster. Could carry 1200kg of bombs, 2000 for the He111.

3. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Deity

Link

The two tanks Gwendoline could possibly make in the future.

4. Finds71

Finds71 Chieftain

Wow I missed that one I guess.... Thanks Wyrmshadow!

5. Fredeye

Fredeye Warlord

An F-86D/K/L Sabre "Dog"

6. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Deity

I think Topgun may have done one of those in the past. Might wait for him to reupload it like he is for his other airplanes.

7. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

:bump:

Do you just need someone to turn these into a .flc? Because I'm terrible at c'n'p, but know how to do the rest.

8. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Wow, it's been awhile since I did that animation. Interestingly, you, Virote, were the inspiration for it!

The only copy of it is that gif right there, unfortunately, but it's set up so that it includes the default-fidget, the defend, and the death. Since I made that, my computer has crashed twice (no connection between the those events, natch) and I've lost those files and, since the SimCity 3000 buildings archive closed down, don't even have access to those particular building images anymore.

But, this gif is made to scale, so that, animated, it would fit (size-wise) with the buildings I made for the Manhattan and Super Scenario files (the buildings in the gif are modern Japanese). The original idea for it is that it would be pre-placed in the Tokyo suburbs and explode as Godzilla comes to it, just for show. It could also be used as a booby-trapped building (like in that Stallone movie). So, yeah, sure Virote, it would be a hoot to see it actually turned into a unit. Go for it!

If you find that this is very easy for you to do, you might give a thought, too, to doing other types of animated buildings, with blinking lights or smoky chimneys. I've always thought that such buildings would add alot to the city-scape mods just for eye candy (like the animated waterfall). I have an extensive archive of SimCity Buildings images like these that I've hoarded for future projects, if you'd ever like to browse them...

9. Gojira54

Gojira54 The folly of Man

I would still have a use for this, too! :) Thanks guys!

10. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

Well, here's the first one.

It took a bit of time, figuring out how to a) turn each frame of the .gif into separate files then b) turn them into .bmp images so I could put them in a storyboard to turn them into a working .flc. :crazyeye:

11. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

GIMP+FLICster, man.

12. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

New Request: Pack Mule

Mules have been used, as you know, throughout history, and have been used to transport everything from Christ to Stinger missiles..

Look at this picture:
    That's WWII, man.

And this one: is from Afghanistan.

These animals continue to be so useful, in fact, that DARPA has developed a mechanical version for the marines:
    Yikes! And they can operate autonomously. Think about that.

The Pack Mule operates exceptionally in rough terrain, especially mountains, and can be flagged to carry foot units or tactical missiles, even small artillery units. This is a unit that needs to be made! And I could use it in an old west mod....and a vietnam mod.

13. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Take a horse model, give it stockier legs, change the tail, give it longer ears, presto-change-o.

14. Aethelend

Aethelend Warlord

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but we have a shortage of ancient and medieval Indian units (Asian Indian, not Native American). I would love to see someone turn out a set of them, progressing by age. But specifically, what are really needed are some chariots and ancient cavalry for them.

EDIT: I found these Civ 4 units that Bakuel made. If someone could take a look at these and model some Civ 3 units after them, that would make me very happy. Especially the Mauryan and Kushan units, since I'm making a mod with both of those civilizations and I want them to have their own unit sets.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=475000

15. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

There's work on some chariots being made, awaiting rendering. Tom?

16. Jerry'sGoldfish

Jerry'sGoldfish Emperor

i just stumbled across an ethiopian horseman made by utahjazz...too bad it has no javelin throwing animations...cause he seems armed with javelins....has anyone the files...can modifications be made? the unit is pretty good made but it also lacks some harness...please help!!!!!

17. Elite

Elite Comrade

Tau/Eldar units, I'd like to see.

18. ShiroKobbure

ShiroKobbure Still modding Civ3

Do you mean the Ethiopian Horseman I made? Or did Utah make one too?
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=162608

19. Jerry'sGoldfish

Jerry'sGoldfish Emperor

you made the horseman, i read the wrong name...i know this unit only from a couple of days when i downloaded it. sorry - you are the creator - very nice unit - but it has some problems - it lacks a harness and the saddle seems to disappear - any chance of a rework soon? i guess not....:(

20. Jerry'sGoldfish

Jerry'sGoldfish Emperor

what about a saljuk worker and settler, also for the hungarians we could need those units....