Unit speech in all languages: does someone have the transcripts?

For a very long time, I didn't know you were Jerrymander because I thought of you with your old avatar. I just sort of knew you as Morgan Freeman.

I know that

oui = Yes
allons y = Let's go

those are in the french, I don't play the french much so I don't get to hear it much

. The French counting system is just madness. ;)

This from the land where there are "four and twenty" hours in a day and "three hundred five and sixty" days in a year! :crazyeye: :mischief:

If its the "quatre vinght quinze" thing which bothers you, then you can always use the Belgian version. It eliminates that bit of nonesence.

As to efficiency, obviously, for factual communication (as opposed to litterature), English is the most efficient. I would rank French and German about equal, with a slight edge to German in many cases.

Both of the latter come with a baggage of gramatical structure which does not actually transport information (when is the last time that someone would have miss-understood you if you had declined in dativ instead of genitiv?), and which adds to the complexity (and some would argue the beauty) of the languages, but without having any real practical benifit.

A large part of it is personal preference of course, but I really like English. It gives good grammatical freedom, great for delivering a good argument or a hilarious punchline. It's quite efficient, e.g. it has forms like "It's unlikely to happen", which in my language would require more complex grammar and a second clause. It's very rich in vocabulary - Old German, Latin, French, and Old Norse all left their footprints in your tongue. And did I mention that it also fully supports my unhealthy addiction to really silly puns? I really like this language a lot, I just wish I'd be better at it.
Well, all of that is somewhat true , but IMHO English is somewhat lacking in elaborate speech forms. It is ok for day-to-day discussion, but for a person with the brain used to a latin based language ( like myself ) ...well , we often have to decompose what we thought to reconstruct in a simpler way just to put it in english :rolleyes:

Well, as I said, personal preference is a huge factor. ;) I never managed to wrap my head around French. I tried to, but I could never sort out all these odd letters that are never spoken. It also doesn't look like such an efficient language to me. The French counting system is just madness. ;) Also, the language often tends to be spoken too soft, too sweet, and too fast for my (personal!) preference. But, again!, no offense intended. I know that many people like French a lot, it just seems that my brain is wired in a way that doesn't mix well with it. (I'm sure that many people have the same feeling with German btw.)
French is not efficient ... in fact, it is probably the more inneficient of the Latin languages, and given the complexity of the latin languages in general... ouch. About the soft and sweet speech ... well, in here we even use "parlapier" ( a complete bastardisation of the french parler, but who cares ;) ) to refer to the kind of melous speech con men use to trick people :p

I kind of like french, but i lost a lot of time working around their particular language complexities ( still trying to understand why they still insist in using pomme de terre for potatoes, when even in Normandy it is common to hear them called batattes ( i have family there, so I know of that particular detail )

Well, on topic .... maybe i'll lose time later to put the portuguese orders in here. Atleast the speaker is a portuguese ;) ( in fact i can even say from what region of the country he is and in what univ he studied just from the way he talks ;) )

still trying to understand why they still insist in using pomme de terre for potatoes, when even in Normandy it is common to hear them called batattes ( i have family there, so I know of that particular detail )

That's "patates" which is close to potatoes. Actually it's a bit like the word "taters" people use it but it's a bit of a colloquialism.

I'm French by the way but I very rarely play the French civ (as in almost never).

As far as being efficient, some languages are more precise in certain fields and lacking in others. French uses many useless letters and is a bit old fashioned but it's part of its charm.

The other ones are too fast/unintelligible enough to tell what they are. The guy has a yam in his mouth.

Native speaker here, I'll have a go at those tricky ones. ;)

ChinaOrder000
如您所愿 = "as you wish"

ChinaOrder005
就算成了 = not sure about this one, literally it means "as if it is done", but it probably should mean "Consider it done"

ChinaOrder009
您等着瞧好了 = I'd say it means "(you) just wait and see"

ChinaSelect000
报道执行任务 = hard one here, probably should mean "reporting for duty", I have no idea how to translate it exactly

ChinaSelect001
听您吩咐 = "awaiting your orders"

ChinaSelect009
全部到期报告 = literally "everyone is here and are reporting for duty"

That's all, I think. I can have a go at the Vikings some time later, but they are supposed to speak Norwegian while I only speak Danish. :(

For a very long time, I didn't know you were Jerrymander because I thought of you with your old avatar. I just sort of knew you as Morgan Freeman.

Well, I did have the Mind-Machine Interface for a long time.

As far as being efficient, some languages are more precise in certain fields and lacking in others.
True. One of my favourite peeves with English ( and French ) is that the language does not make diference between transient and permanent qualities of a item in terms of verbs. For a example, saying that X is red might mean that being red is a permanent feature of X ( it can't be X if it isn't red ... say , like the English ( not UK ) flag cross )or that X is now red, but it can be not red ( a ripe tomato , for a example, in comparison with the non-ripe state ;) ) and the same applies to French... you can only know the diference by contextual analysis. OTOH in portuguese we have one verb for the first situation ( ser ) and another for the second ( estar ), so our language is far more precise than the English in this area ( a side effect is that a Portuguese has to actually think if a English ( or a French ) speaker means a permanent or transient quality when it uses a form of the verb to be ( or the french être ) ... quite frustrating at times ;) )

Anyway, on topic, the Portuguese transcriptions:

PortugalOrder-000

Como queira - As you desire ( want, in literal sense ... anyway , it is a form used when adressing to superiors or people you don't know well )

PortugalOrder-001

Saiam dai !
-( You, ( plural ) ) Get out of there ! ( The pronoum is not said, but the verb is in the plural form )

PortugalOrder-002

Certo ! - Alright! ( the literal translation is "right" , but the meaning in here is the aknowledge of a order ... "alright" seems better )

PortugalOrder-003

Estamos ao corrente - This one is hard to put in english without losing the meaning ... somewhere near "We were debriefed on this" or "We know about that".

PortugalOrder-004

Sem problemas - No problems ( I was tempted to put "No problem" since it is such a iconic English sentence ( and with virtually the same meaning ) , but the portuguese form uses the plural :D )

PortugalOrder-005

Considere como feito - Consider it done ( literally :cry: This one feels like a google translator feat from Firaxis ... no portuguese speaker would speak like this.... We would say "Considere isso feito" or "Considere-o feito" or ( the most likely one ) "Considere isso como feito" ). BTW another form used when talking to superiors or in polite speech.

PortugalOrder-006

Muito bem - another unclear one ... it might either mean "Well done", "Understood" or even "Agreed" , depending on context. The literal translation is somewhere near "very good", but that is definitely not the sense used in here.

PortugalOrder-007

Vamos ! - Let's go ! ( pretty literal in here )

PortugalOrder-008

Toca a andar ! - This one is quite funny in the middle of all that polite speech, given that this is quite colloquial. It means something like "Move out !", like when you're trying to scare chickens out. I think the actual idea is more in the sense of giving someone orders to go, but they could had used a better term :D

PortugalOrder-009

Pode contar connosco
-You can count with us ( or "on us" , depending on context ... I prefer the second in here, to be honest )

PortugalSelect-000

Apresentando-se ao serviço - Reporting for duty . Literally ... but , in spite of this being probably the way a brazilian would say the thing, hearing a portuguese using this sounds wierd ... we would probably say "Apresentamo-nos ao serviço" ou "Apresento-me ao serviço" ( not clear of what is more fitting in here ... probably the second )

PortugalSelect-001

Ás suas ordens- At your orders . Literally the way to adress military superiors in Portuguese.

PortugalSelect-002

Diga-me o que tenho de fazer - Tell me what to do. Literally again ... not incorrect, but IMHO the sense is more like "Give me your orders"

PortugalSelect-003

Aguardo as suas orders - ( I'm ) waiting for your orders . This one beats right ;) . Again , polite speech / adressing to superiors

PortugalSelect-004

Pronto para a acção - ( I'm ) ready for action . Like in above, the "I'm" is not said, but the verb is in singular form .

PortugalSelect-005

Qual é o plano? - What's the plan ? . Nothing to say here: literal and well done translation.

PortugalSelect-006

Sim ? - Major can of worms, only saved by the fact the speaker is actually portuguese, allowing the use of the right tone. It means "Yes ?" and in here is used in the sense of asking for orders ( the equivalent of the english version of this IIRC ). This is problematic because the portuguese use "sim" ( yes, in literal sense ) in a wide array of meanings , from the regular english one to sarcastical denial ( yup, portuguese use yes to say no sometimes :D ... and to get things worse, we also use "não" ( no ) as sarcastical aceptance sometimes ;) ), passing by a " i see your point of view, but I'm not agreeing with you" .... and it get's even worse in interrogation mode, where it can also mean " Continue developing your point" or "I'm not seeing what is your point/ where you want to go with this line of reasoning" .... and you can only distiguish between all of this by the tone the word is said. BTW, the japanese have a similar use of their yes ;)

PortugalSelect-007

Quais são as suas ordens ? - What are your orders ? / What orders do you have ? . First is literal, second is closer to the actual meaning

PortugalSelect-008

Do que precisa ?
-What do you need ? Again polite speech/adressing to superiors

PortugalSelect-009

Estão todos presentes ! - They're all here/present ! . I think Firaxis meant "Estamos todos presentes" ( We're all present ) ... it would make more sense

In resume, I think the voice actor probably had a good laugh with some of this ;) And we should definitely thank him for his right tone in PortugalSelect-006 one, otherwise this would be definitely "funny" :p

Oh, and Firaxis, next time you want portuguese translations of in game stuff, try to ask someone that plays the game ;)

True. One of my favourite peeves with English ( and French ) is that the language does not make difference between transient and permanent qualities of a item in terms of verbs. For a example, saying that X is red might mean that being red is a permanent feature of X ( it can't be X if it isn't red ... say , like the English ( not UK ) flag cross )or that X is now red, but it can be not red ( a ripe tomato , for a example, in comparison with the non-ripe state ;) ) and the same applies to French... you can only know the difference by contextual analysis. OTOH in portuguese we have one verb for the first situation ( ser ) and another for the second ( estar ), so our language is far more precise than the English in this area ( a side effect is that a Portuguese has to actually think if a English ( or a French ) speaker means a permanent or transient quality when it uses a form of the verb to be ( or the french être ) ... quite frustrating at times ;) )

oh, that is very interesting... having only ever studied french (and russian for a time) and it never occurred to me that there could be this issue.

question... in a statement like "my car is black", would that be the perm is or the trans is... perm because my car does not change colors, or trans because honda make civics in a variety of colors? I'm just curious... And is one or the other a default when you really don't know which is meant?

-dana

The verb form "be", in English at least, lacks any sort of discrimination. This has led some English scholars to create their own form of English called E-Prime.

oh, that is very interesting... having only ever studied french (and russian for a time) and it never occurred to me that there could be this issue.

question... in a statement like "my car is black", would that be the perm is or the trans is... perm because my car does not change colors, or trans because honda make civics in a variety of colors? I'm just curious... And is one or the other a default when you really don't know which is meant?

-dana
Well, I painted the thing a little black and while, but normally the verb ser is used to affirm qualities that persist or are inherent to the item in question , while estar is used to talk about more transient stuff. The car color is a good example of the usage of the two verbs , depending of the situation: I could use the verb ser to say that my car is black since that is the color that comes out of factory and that I never changed it ( like in "my car is black since I bought it" ), or use the verb estar if i painted the car black recently and/or asssuming that I'll paint it not far in the future ( in the sense that now is black, but it wasn't/ it will not be somewhere in the future ... or even if it was black in the past for some time , but normally isn't ). Also, the verb estar , due to it's transient significance, also makes the times of the verb to be when talking of locations ( I'm here, you are there, that kind of stuff ) ...

In resume, a portuguese, when talking to a French or a English, has always to be consciously trying to understand if their be or être is refering to transient or permanent/ almost permanent stuff unless he is fluent enough to be able to put that in a subconscious level. It is quite a drag :p

This from the land where there are "four and twenty" hours in a day and "three hundred five and sixty" days in a year! :crazyeye: :mischief:
Didn't I say that I like a number of things in English better than in my native language? ;)

German has many idiosyncrasies too ... I mean, a language that regularly flings words around like "Veranstaltungsgenehmigungsverfahren" can't be sane, can it? ;)

Btw, one reason for my inability to grasp French may be my experiences in school with it. I had two years of French, with a teacher of biology and religion who didn't actually speak French and couldn't even get basic conjugations right. We tried for six weeks to tell him how his way of teaching didn't work at all and how it could be better, but he was either unwilling or unable to change. Afterwards, being 15 and in the middle of puberty, we decided to screw it and at least have some fun. And fun we had, with the exception of the teacher, who resorted to talk solely to the only two girls who were still willing to listen to him for the remaining two years. He usually showed this incredibly sad face when in class.

(still trying to understand why they still insist in using pomme de terre for potatoes, when even in Normandy it is common to hear them called batattes)

In Germany we actually have both forms, the usual term "Kartoffel" (potato), and the more poetic "Erdapfel" (apple of the earth). The latter will probably get forgotten in the near future though.

Native speaker here, I'll have a go at those tricky ones. ;)
Thanks for the missing Chinese translations! :) Would it be too impolite to ask for transcriptions, so that those of us who can't display or read Chinese characters can match the translations to the voiceovers we hear?

That's all, I think. I can have a go at the Vikings some time later, but they are supposed to speak Norwegian while I only speak Danish. :(

That would be nice. :)

The verb form "be", in English at least, lacks any sort of discrimination. This has led some English scholars to create their own form of English called E-Prime.

"To exist or not to exist, I ask this question." :lol: Thanks for the link. :)

Alright, I'll give you the Dutch texts:

Activation:
1 "Iedereen aanwezig" - "everyone present"
2 "Tot uw dienst" - "to your service"
3 "Ik wacht op uw orders" - I wait for your orders
4 "Klaar voor actie" - same
5 "Deze militaire meldt zich" - "this soldier reports himself"
6 not found
7 "Wat heeft u nodig?" - same
8 "Wat is het plan?" - same
9 "Ja" - same
10 "Uw commando" - your command

instead of 6 there is "wat moet er gebeuren?" which means "what should happen?"

Carrying out orders:

1 "Zoals u wilt" - same
2 "Zeker" - same
3 "Komt voor elkaar" - idiomatic, lit "comes for each other"
4 "Wegwezen" - lit "being away"
5 "We gaan" - "we go"
6 "Geen probleem" - same
7 "Vooruit, op pad" - "Forwards, on the way"
8 "Heel goed" - same
9 "We zitten er bovenop" - "We're sitting on it" (more informal than the English version)
10 "U kunt op ons rekenen" - same, though lit "you can calculate on us"

I went to the Netherlands for a trip a while back and did some crash course Dutch before I went (really basic stuff) so this was really interesting!

I'd always wondered what they were saying with the "Klaar voor actie" line. It always stood out to me for some reason. (The vowel changes in Dutch are hard to get used to, though I suspect English does many of the same things. That "klaar" sounds like English "Claire" to me. Is that just what "aa" is pronounced like when it appears in front of an R?)

No matter how many times I listen to it though, I can't hear "Ik wacht op uw orders" as anything but "I got it new orders" spoken by a stereotypical New York Jewish guy.

I'll see if I can't put up the Japanese lines in a bit.

I'm not a native speaker, but I've studied Japanese for over 10 years, and lived there for 5. I'm totally confident aside from a couple that had weird (probably very formal) words that I was unfamiliar with.

Japan Order-000 "Nozomidoori" 望み通り ---- "As you wish"
Japan Order 001 "Hayaku!" 速く ----- "Quickly!" (I think I'm hearing this right.)
Japan Order-002 "Choujuu Shimahorsehockya" 聴従しました ---- "I heard (what you said)" very stiff and formal
Japan Order-003 "Ryoukai" 了解 ----- "I understand"
Japan Order-004 "Mondai Arimasen!" 問題ありません ---------- "No problem!" (This sounds like it was translated by a computer or someone who got a script and didn't know the context of the phrase being spoken, because while it is word-for-word correct, you don't say this in response to someone's orders in Japanese.)
Japan Order-005 "Makasete Kudasai" 任せて下さい ------ "Leave it to me"
Japan Order-006 "Wakarimahorsehockya" 分かりました ------ "I understand"
Japan Order-007 "Hai, Mairimasu" はい、参ります ------ "Ok, I'll do it/I'll carry it out" (Lit: "I'll go" in humble speech)
Japan Order-008 "Sa, Iku Zo!" さあ、行くぞ! -------- "Alright, let's go!" (very informal)
Japan Order-009 "Makasete Kudasai" 任せて下さい ------ same as 005 but in a different tone of voice

Japan Select-000 "Eimon Ni Atarimasu" 営門に当たります ----- "This soldier is reporting for duty" (Lit. more like: "You've selected this soldier" or something. Weird word for soldier I never heard before. I could be mistaken.)
Japan Select-001 "Ryouken Wo Uketamawarimasu" 料簡を承ります ---- "Let me know the plan" (Lit: "I will receive your idea" in very formal, humble speech)
Japan Select-002 "Youji Wo Itte Kudasai" 用事を言って下さい ---- "State your errand/purpose"
Japan Select-003 "Shiji Wo Matte Imasu" 指示を待っています --- "I'm awaiting your command"
Japan Select-004 "Junbi Kanryou" 準備完了 ----- "Preparations are complete/I'm ready"
Japan Select-005 "Keikaku Wa Nan Desu Ka?" 計画は何ですか ---- "What's the plan?"
Japan Select-006 "Sou Desu Ka" そうですか ----- "I see"
Japan Select-007 "Anata No Shiji Wa?" あなたの指示は? ---- "What's your plan?"
Japan Select-008 "Nani Ga Hitsuyou Desu Ka?" 何が必要ですか? ---- "What do you need?"
Japan Select-009 "Seiretsu Kanryou" 整列完了 --- "I'm ready" (I'm a little unsure about this one...)

Thanks for the missing Chinese translations! :) Would it be too impolite to ask for transcriptions, so that those of us who can't display or read Chinese characters can match the translations to the voiceovers we hear?

Jerrymander updated the list, here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9559106&postcount=34

Along with transcriptions. :goodjob:

Here are the Vikings, I wrote them in Danish. If anyone here speaks Norwegian and/or can fill in the gaps, that would be great. :D

VikingOrder-000
Som De ønsker = "As you wish" ("De" is very old fasioned, you rarely see anyone in Denmark use it, but it's very polite. I guess it's the same thing as using "Sie" in German or "vous" in French)

VikingOrder-001

VikingOrder-002

VikingOrder-003
Vi er (...) = "we are" (...)

VikingOrder-004
Ikke noget problem = "No problem"

VikingOrder-005

VikingOrder-006
No idea what it means, but it sounds like "Great" :crazyeye:

VikingOrder-007
Vi er på vej = "We are on our way"

VikingOrder-008

VikingOrder-009
De kan regne med os = "You can count on us"

VikingSelect-000

VikingSelect-001
Til din tjeneste = "At your service" (this time they chose not to use the politer and more old fasioned version: "Til Deres tjeneste")

VikingSelect-002
Fortæl mig hvad jeg skal gøre = "Tell me what I should do" (this sentence is a bit harsh, as if you are ordering the leader to give you orders :p)

VikingSelect-003
Venter på dine ordre = "Waiting for your orders" (politer version: "Venter på Deres ordre")

VikingSelect-004
Klar for aktion = "Ready for action"

VikingSelect-005
Hvad er planen = "What's the plan"

VikingSelect-006
Ja = "Yes"

VikingSelect-007
Dine ordre = "Your orders"

VikingSelect-008
Hvad trænger De = "What do you need"

Somehow there's no VikingSelect-009... :confused:

It's the same thing with Danish, but if you are to translate the numbers 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90 literally, they are (according to wikipedia, one "score" is 20):

50 (halvtreds, short for halvtredsindstyve): two score plus/and half [of the] third (score)
60 (tres, short for tresindstyve): three score
70 (halvfjerds, short for halvfjerdsindstyve): three score plus/and half [of the] fourth (score)
80 (firs, short for firsindstyve): four score
90 (halvfems, short for halvfemsindstyve): four score plus/and half [of the] fifth (score)

Way more complicated, as they are based on the vigesimal system. :( But everyone nowondays use the shortened versions, luckily.

The Holy Romans brought up again, nice. I'll transcribe them with Dutch orthography: to my ears they speak more Dutch than German... or rather, it sounds very much like Gronings, the dialect from my home province.

EmpireSelect-000: Ik ben in deinst - I'm in service - sounds like Dutch form of "I'm enlisted" to me.
EmpireSelect-001: Ik ben sowiet - I am that far = I'm ready
EmpireSelect-002: Wat kan ik voor die doan? - What can I do for you?
EmpireSelect-003: Ik teuf op dien bevelen - no idea what "teuf" means, apparently "wait", for then it becomes "I wait for your command"
EXACTLY, "TEUF" = "WAIT"
EmpireSelect-004: Loat ons losgoan - Let us go ahead
EmpireSelect-005: Wat is dien plan? - What's your plan?
EmpireSelect-006: Jo - Yes, or indeed more accurately "Yo", as in "hey man, what's up". In Groningen this is not an imported word but original dialect.
EmpireSelect-007: Dien bevelen? - your orders?
EmpireSelect-008: Wat broekst doe? - What do you need?
EmpireSelect-009: Al te hoop on afstelt? This is just a guess. Maybe Psyringe can hear this one better. I have no idea frankly.
"RALLIED AND IN POSITION" or more literally "ALL TOGETHER AND SET UP"

EmpireOrder-000: Als doe dat wilst - If you want that. As Psyringe said of some German phrases, this one is kind of impolite. It suggests mild dissent with the order (are you sure?).
EmpireOrder-001: Al te hoop hoed - makes no sense to me
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT "hoed", SINCE I AM NOT LISTENING TO THE SOUNDS, I AM JUST TRANSLATING YOUR WRITTEN WORDS, BUT "Al tohoop" = "All together"
EmpireOrder-002: Zekker - certainly. This is just an imagined pronunciation. It has the Dutch "Z" and the German thick "k". But it sounds extremely contrived. Nobody would speak like that I think.
Yes, "Seker" MEANS "Sure"
EmpireOrder-003: Wie sund dabie - We're with it/on it. Seems one of the most German.
EmpireOrder-004: Geen probleem - no problem. Would have expected a flowing g... as North German and Dutch have. Instead the G becomes so abrupt it sounds more like a k. Weird... and in my intuition a mistake.
"Keen probleem", TO ME IT IS PERFECTLY FINE WITH A HARD K. AND "No problem", JUST LIKE YOU SAID.
EmpireOrder-005: Dat is meer als afsloten - That's more than finished. Sounds like idiom.
EmpireOrder-006: Allerbest - (the) very best, or very good.
EmpireOrder-007: Ik ben gloaks doa - I'm gloaks there, whatever 'gloaks' means.
"gloaks" MEANS "in a short moment" SO IT'S LIKE "I AM THERE IN A SECOND"
EmpireOrder-008: Dat gait loas - Lit. That goes lose, i.e. that begins
EmpireOrder-009: Doe kunst mit ons reken - you can count on us.

Just to clarify this:
The HRE guys speak Lower Saxony (Plattdeutsch, for the German speaking), which is indeed very similar to Dutch.
Thus, Ray Patterson's translations are perfect and I (as a native speaker) just filled the few missing gaps in the quote above in capital letters (looks ugly and implies that I am shouting like crazy, but I just want the added stuff to be spotted easily :) )

Cheers to Groningen!

English is one of my two native languages; the other is very closely related to Spanish so here's my best shot at the Spanish ones(native Spanish speakers please verify, thank you:))

Hola :) Ok, let's try:

SpainSelect000: Presentándome para misión = Presenting myself for the mission
SpainSelect001: A sus órdenes = At your orders
SpainSelect002: Dígame que hay que hacer = Tell me what is there to be done
SpainSelect003: Espero sus ordenes = I am awaiting your orders
SpainSelect004: Listo para la acción = I am ready for action
SpainSelect005: ¿Cuál es su plan? = What is your plan?
SpainSelect006: ¿Si? = yes?
SpainSelect007: ¿Sus ordenes? = Your orders?
SpainSelect008: ¿Qué necesita usted? = What do you need?
SpainSelect009: Todos presentes sanos y salvos = We all present, healthy and safe

SpainOrder000: Como lo desee = As you wish
SpainOrder001: Vamos = We go
SpainOrder002: Ciertamente = Certainly
SpainOrder003: De eso nos ocupamos = We take care of that
SpainOrder004: No hay problema = No problem
SpainOrder005: Tómelo como hecho = Consider it done
SpainOrder006: Muy bien = Very good
SpainOrder007: En camino = Underway
SpainOrder008: Vámonos = Let's go
SpainOrder009: Puede contar con nosotros = You can count on us

Ooh, Spanish is the one language I always wanted to learn but never got around to. Such a powerful, passionate language. :) But all I can say is "las gafas son mios", which actually is neither powerful nor terribly passionate ... ;)

It should read "Las gafas son mías". Gafas is a femenine noun. But it is a good start, good luck learning :)

Wow thanks for correcting my post, mynystry. I'm really surprised that I got many of them correctly (kinda), what with my limited fluency in spanish and the fact that I had simply googled all of them before posting :lol:

So glad that I linked this on the other thread, and thanks to Tortsch for bumping - here's hoping this thread gets completed eventually :D

Top Bottom