Universal trashy names

“Monica” might have fallen out of favor here because of an incident once involving the President’s berries. :mischief:

I might be off the mark, here, but my impression is that those would have been considered preppy/high-status names maybe twenty years ago?
I don't think anyone would mistake Brittney Spears (the reason why many of the next generation of girls have been saddled with that name) would ever be associated with anything 'high-class'.

Yes, she's famous, and there wouldn't be this kerfuffle about her father and conservatorship if she wasn't also very wealthy. But her fame is for all the wrong reasons.

There's a houseguest on the current Big Brother season who spells her name "Brittini." She's been on the block twice already and the season has barely started.

Google tells me that the most posh names are Juniper and Jovi :dunno:
Assuming that "Jovi" is Jovian, is should be very posh. I'd have expected also Dorian and Julian to be there.
Back in the 1960s and '70s (and '80s and '90s) there was a series of detective stories written for teenage boys called Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators (obviously written with male readers in mind; I can count the number of regular female characters on one finger, and in the first 17 books there were exactly two (2) teenage girl guest characters). I got hooked on the series in 1972 (after the school librarian read one to us), and started collecting them the following year.

The series followed the adventures (and mystery cases) of a trio of friends who lived in Rocky Beach, California, who formed their own detective firm. The books don't mention specifics about their ages, only that they are too young to drive in California, so I'm guessing that the series pegs them at about 13-15 or so... junior/senior high school.

Anyway, the name of the head of this junior detective firm is Jupiter Jones. He's being raised by his aunt and uncle, and the uncle's name is Titus Andronicus Jones (aka "Uncle Titus"). The names of the other two boys are common: Bob and Pete. Jupiter's aunt's name is Mathilda.

There are two other semi-regular characters, who work for Uncle Titus (he runs a salvage yard). Their names are Hans and Konrad Schmidt (we don't learn their last name until book 20, when we find out that they have a sister named Anna).

I don't think anyone would mistake Brittney Spears (the reason why many of the next generation of girls have been saddled with that name) would ever be associated with anything 'high-class'.

Yes, she's famous, and there wouldn't be this kerfuffle about her father and conservatorship if she wasn't also very wealthy. But her fame is for all the wrong reasons.

There's a houseguest on the current Big Brother season who spells her name "Brittini." She's been on the block twice already and the season has barely started.

Back in the 1960s and '70s (and '80s and '90s) there was a series of detective stories written for teenage boys called Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators (obviously written with male readers in mind; I can count the number of regular female characters on one finger, and in the first 17 books there were exactly two (2) teenage girl guest characters). I got hooked on the series in 1972 (after the school librarian read one to us), and started collecting them the following year.

The series followed the adventures (and mystery cases) of a trio of friends who lived in Rocky Beach, California, who formed their own detective firm. The books don't mention specifics about their ages, only that they are too young to drive in California, so I'm guessing that the series pegs them at about 13-15 or so... junior/senior high school.

Anyway, the name of the head of this junior detective firm is Jupiter Jones. He's being raised by his aunt and uncle, and the uncle's name is Titus Andronicus Jones (aka "Uncle Titus"). The names of the other two boys are common: Bob and Pete. Jupiter's aunt's name is Mathilda.

There are two other semi-regular characters, who work for Uncle Titus (he runs a salvage yard). Their names are Hans and Konrad Schmidt (we don't learn their last name until book 20, when we find out that they have a sister named Anna).

I read them in the 80's. The girls read Nancy Drew iirc.

Kevin is, if anything, stereotypically middle class and nerdy here

I read them in the 80's. The girls read Nancy Drew iirc.
Are you sure you're not thinking of The Hardy Boys?

Of the girls' juvenile mystery series, the ones I read were Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew.

There were more boys' juvenile mysteries. The ones I read were The Three Investigators, The Hardy Boys, and Brains Benton.

(Don't ask me what Brains Benton's real first name was; I don't recall it being mentioned, and in any case the series was only 6 books long; his buddy's name was Jimmy Carson)

It seems that in each of these juvenile series, there was always at least one character with an unusual name. Take the case of Trixie Belden; "Trixie" was short for "Beatrix". Beatrix seems horribly old-fashioned, and honestly, I can't take it seriously that any grown woman would willingly use the name "Trixie".

Are you sure you're not thinking of The Hardy Boys?

Of the girls' juvenile mystery series, the ones I read were Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew.

There were more boys' juvenile mysteries. The ones I read were The Three Investigators, The Hardy Boys, and Brains Benton.

(Don't ask me what Brains Benton's real first name was; I don't recall it being mentioned, and in any case the series was only 6 books long; his buddy's name was Jimmy Carson)

It seems that in each of these juvenile series, there was always at least one character with an unusual name. Take the case of Trixie Belden; "Trixie" was short for "Beatrix". Beatrix seems horribly old-fashioned, and honestly, I can't take it seriously that any grown woman would willingly use the name "Trixie".

Had both here but the school had the three investigator's and I liked them better.
The hide out in the scrapyard was funny.

Also in the 80's you could buy them new with new covers on them.

Titus Andronicus Jones? That reference flew way over my head as a boy.

Titus Andronicus Jones? That reference flew way over my head as a boy.
Aunt Mathilda only calls him by his full name when she's really annoyed with him. The book the librarian read to us was The Mystery of the Talking Skull, and she freaked out when the skull spoke to her. Titus made fun of her, and she got mad enough to call him all three names.

I recalled another 'Kevin"... Lieutenant Kevin Riley, a guest character in two first-season episodes of Star Trek (TOS). It's a shame they didn't make him at least a semi-regular; he was a fun character.

I always thought that Titus Oates was a strange name.
He was a strange man. Sometimes I wish we could bring back the Titus Oates hat and punishment.
The name might have inspired Mervyn Peake. :)

It's not like any of your names mean something cool like "of the Lord" :smug:
Apparently my first name does have some kind of biblical meaning.

It was also very popular in my generation and the previous one. That's how one year in the theatre there were five of us - two on the stage crew, two in the cast, and me, working backstage. It was frustrating when anyone called us, since we never knew which of us was being addressed.

My first name translates as "God is gracious." My first middle name translates as "Moose and squirrel."

:p

For sure, the Irish origin of many "chav names" is connected with the historical low status of anything Irish in Britain. The trick is that it doesn't seem to be 1:1 relationship; a name like "Liam" or "Keiran" achieves these associations, but "Fergal" or "Dara" do not. So there's some mechanism by which low-status names are probably Irish, but Irish names are not necessarily low-status.
Well, you have two distinct waves of English invasions of Ireland, one with the Normans in the 1100s and one with the Tudors and Cromwell in the 1500s-1600s.

I might hazard the guess that the names incorporated by the progressively Gaelicised Catholic Norman-English overlords became more acceptable, since England was also Catholic at the time, and that anything that still remained utterly and distinctively Irish when the Tudors started their reformation -which is essentially against the Pope- gets the disrespect.
I'd need a reliable list to test this out.

We have Lexicus: ‘of the word’.
And Takhisis is an actual deity.
And amadeus is a Theophilos.

Having a famous person name surge is usually a product of the name itself becoming popular, and then generating a famous example, leading to more being recognised, rather than the other way around.

https://www.behindthename.com/name/brittany/top
Britney Spears was born at the start of a Britney and its variations boom, and became famous well after the peak of the popularity of the name.

We Irish will have our revenge when you're all trying to pronounce Siobhán or Tadhg.

Top Bottom