Unofficial BTS 3.13 patch

Another thing... Ancient AI's capitals seem to show a modern building. Palace maybe? Anyone elsa has this issue?

If the modern building is a skyscraper, you're talking about Scotland Yard constructed by a Great Spy. It always looks the same, so it does stand out in the early ages. Not a bug though.

I've recently installed the unofficial patch (and the supplemental xml/python patches) and have a few strange issues. I keep seeing AI workboats in the middle of the ocean, though mine act normally, IE cannot leave the coast.
WB is only partly functional. No units can be placed, territory cannot be marked, etc. Some tabs are mingled, for instance territory tab on the map editor screen appears in the tab before that, I think it's improvements. There is also an advanced start window in the middle of the screen, it does nothing, no icons to activate, just empty window, impossible to close.

Anyone else experience anything similar? I've been playing with 3.13 patch, Blue Marble and BUG for a while before installing the unofficial patch and none of this was an issue.

The former is not a bug... workboats can go into ocean if you have Astronomy.

Wodan

Personally I wouldn't say somebody's cultural borders qualifies as the "middle of the ocean" but yep you're right. Cultural borders will also allow galleys etc but Astronomy only allows work boats. I'm still not quite sure why they did that but it was definitely intentional.

Wodan

Not within cultural borders, but literally in the middle of the ocean. I was not aware astronomy made any difference for workboats. I'm not entirely sure if all of the instances are after astronomy discovery as it takes a long time to move those workboats to those positions were they are now and in my current game only a few of us tech leaders have astronomy available at the moment.

So, is there ever going to be an official patch for BtS? If no, I might as well merge my mods over to this. Otherwise, I'm still holding back on grounds of having to reupdate to the latest official patch being a nightmare.

On a related note, anyone know of a good 3-way merger program? I've looked at a few, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how they work (a simple, "is this segment from file B new to file A? If so, copy to file C." Instead I keep seeing the differences between files B and C, which isn't quite helpful.)

So, is there ever going to be an official patch for BtS?

Its a matter of faith, some Firaxians have said there will be, but given Civ Rev is coming out, it might be sometime in the fall for a BTS patch... if it actually does come out.

Its a matter of faith, some Firaxians have said there will be, but given Civ Rev is coming out, it might be sometime in the fall for a BTS patch... if it actually does come out.

I'm still betting heavily on 'never'

It will come ... patience. There are too many former community members on the inside now ...

Whether or not the patch comes out has nothing to do with former community members on the inside, unless they're in a release management role and are in control of budgets allocated to patch releases and maintenance.

Individual designers and testers have no control over whether or not a patch will be released. It all comes down to money. It costs money to release and maintain a patch, and it involves risk (if the patch isn't good). Unless the company thinks it will be able to sell more games if it releases another patch, it's not going to do it.

Unless the company thinks it will be able to sell more games if it releases another patch, it's not going to do it.
Maintaining good will does sell more games, if not the current product then a future one.

Wodan

But that doesn't matter if they move to the console market.
They've said they aren't. They're expanding to the console market.

So the point is still valid. Though you're correct it won't apply to the portion of their business in console games.

Wodan

So is there any reason *not* to install this unofficial patch? Is it used in the GOTM, for example? Does it create any new bugs?

Also, my friends and I do our own private GOTM, more informal than the one here. Will it make a big difference if some of us have installed this unofficial patch and some have not?

yes it will make a difference if some have it and some don't.

However, if you use the HOF mod for your personal GOTM (required for "official" GOTM) then you are already playing with most of the fixes this patch has.

Well Bhruic is off playing/modding SoaSE. So version 1.11 is "done" till a new Official patch comes out. Then maybe this will start all over again! :D

JosEPh ;)

I have BTS and the latest official patch. I haven't had any noticeable problems. Should I download this or not?

Top Bottom