(Update) Site Upgrades are Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a first glance it seems that nothing specific will be lost permanently.
There'll be temporary disruptions until stuff is again going as normal, that certainly.
Obviously we cannot check everything. Xenforo offers a free demo of their v2 software here https://xenforo.com/demo/ , where you can play around yourself with everything in it. So far we did not find anything problematic. But obviously we will need everyone's help after the move. If someone feels like checking with the demo before the move already, then this would be very welcome.

I'm just asking to be kept informed in a timely way here, given the loss of so much from the last time something major happened. I realize that time is needed for specific answers.
Understood. I would expect moving from xenforo v1.x to v2.x wouldn't see as many major changes as moving from vBulletin to xenforo. We'll post here as more information becomes available.

On a first glance it seems that nothing specific will be lost permanently.
There'll be temporary disruptions until stuff is again going as normal, that certainly.
Obviously we cannot check everything. Xenforo offers a free demo of their v2 software here https://xenforo.com/demo/ , where you can play around yourself with everything in it. So far we did not find anything problematic. But obviously we will need everyone's help after the move. If someone feels like checking with the demo before the move already, then this would be very welcome.
Good to know, thanks. TrekBBS created a beta of the XenForo version of the forum before the migration was official. The admins asked us to make an account there and "test drive" it for a week or so to see how the various features worked (or didn't work). We were able to find most of the bugs for the staff to fix before the migration, which made a lot fewer complaints from the people who hadn't taken part in this.

Now that I recall, the most prevalent concern there was whether or not the traditional themes would be kept (that place has had the same two versions of blue themes for something like 20 years, or so I've heard). I know that I'd hate to lose the Dark theme here since it's easy on the eyes (no glare). I would appreciate if some of the problems with it could be fixed, as there are some that have been around since the migration and were never dealt with.

So the new features listed are kind of gobbledigook to me. I'm only wondering about one specific feature. So I'm just gonna ask.

Currently, the Ignore function is useless.

So it removes the posts of the ignored user. That is good.

But when other people quote the ignored user, the quote just gets removed from their posts entirely. Without you being notified that something ignored is removed. So if you choose to ignore someone, you'll often have no idea whether someone is adressing you, someone else, the moon, or has even switched who they're adressing at all. Putting people on ignore - which intends to clear the air of the forum and minimize toxity and such - highly obfuscates what unignored people are talking about. This can make people seem toxic, completely out of their control. The ignore function does more harm than good atm.

So. Is there a fix for this in the new version? Literally just like this would work:

Example said:
Yea salty liquorice is the best thing ever.
IgnoredUser said:
This user is on ignore.
Like I'll ever say that, lol.

Instead of how it is now:

Example said:
Yea salty liquorice is the best thing ever.
Like I'll ever say that, lol.

ignore-xenforo-v2.png

This is how this will look.
I think tihs is an improvement, no?

View attachment 633772

This is how this will look.
I think tihs is an improvement, no?
Oh, that's a definite improvement.

Over at TrekBBS I have a long list of people on ignore, so sometimes I just give up on trying to read certain threads. They make no sense at all.

One other issue with the ignore function that's a problem is that if an ignored person is the OP of a thread that you're otherwise interested in reading and participating in, you basically have to un-ignore the person if you ever want to find it. Just having a note that the thread was started by someone on your ignore list would be helpful. Who knows - they might have made such a good thread that you decide to stop ignoring them.

This seems to remain the same, I just tested: Threads from ignored uses will not show up in the forum.
They might show up as "most recent thread" in the overview though :/.
That's a ridiculous oversight. Just because you might not want to engage with the person who started the thread, it doesn't mean you don't want to participate in general.

The upgrades are really nice. Lots and lots of built in emojies. Pretty similar to what we have now as far as posting.

atm not all of the keyboard generated emojies work, but there may be substitutes in the library.

These did not:
:woohoo:
:mischief:
:hatsoff:

The upgrades are really nice. Lots and lots of built in emojies. Pretty similar to what we have now as far as posting.

atm not all of the keyboard generated emojies work, but there may be substitutes in the library.

These did not:
Can smileys be added? We can't lose :mischief:.

These did not:
I use the positive emojies 1 and 3 frequently. If they are lost after the transfer, this would be bad.

The forum migration will begin this Friday. The forum will be shut down sometime Friday morning (eastern US time) and the hope is to have it back up and running by the end of the day on Saturday.

Please wish the xenForo team luck and we appreciate your patience and help in finding issues once the forum is back up.

Our PMs are coming with us, I hope. The last migration nuked the really useful file feature that let us organize the messages according to who they were from or what groups or projects they might be about.

The last migration nuked the really useful file feature that let us organize the messages according to who they were from or what groups or projects they might be about.
As we've said that was a move from one set of software to another, this is an upgrade of a version. XF2 still has conversations and the functionality should be at least the same.

If you look at the smilies on your phone, the built in ones are similar in number and variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom