1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Updated AND 2.1 Mega Civ Pack

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Maska_zgz, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

Makeda, Queen of Sheba (Yemen civ)

She's nice...
    upload_2017-6-19_10-39-11.png

...but now even nicer
    upload_2017-6-19_10-40-3.png

2. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

I also found a nice leaderhead: Brunhild
    She would be a great addition to the Vikings.

3. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

New icons

Armenia
    Armenia.jpg

Cuba
    Cuba.jpg

Belgium
    Belgium.jpg

Afrikaans (South-Afrika)
    afrikaans.jpg

Colombia
    Colombia.jpg

Iran
    iran.jpg

Iraq
    Iraq.jpg

Italy
    Italy.jpg

Mamluk
    mamluk.jpg

Mexico
    Mexico.jpg

4. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

New Zeland
    NewZeland.jpg

Uzbekistan
    Uzbekistan.jpg

Venezuela
    Venezuela.jpg

Norway
    Norway.jpg

Most of them are created from Civ5 mod icons.
    Please let me know what you think.

5. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Are you allowed to use Civ5 assets, even if somewhat modified? I mean, I know some other developers really don't want you to use any asset from any game that the end user does not already own.

Other than that I just have one random question. I know there are some Kim family leaderheads floating about. Any chance we'll get one in the pack at some future time for a North Korea twist on the civ? I sort of like playing games where I line up all the big dictators like Hitler and Pol Pot on the same map and Kim is the one missing in my collection. :)

6. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

I thought of that too but didn't care much.
    Now I will add him as a custom leaderhead.

7. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

A little status report what to expect in the new MegaPack:

=Mississipi=

Leader:
    Tuskaloosa (Protective/Nomad)

Starting techs:
    Agriculture, Ritualism

UB: Mound (Graveyard)
    +10% defense
    city requires 10% less food to grow

UU: Natchez (Arquebusier)
    starts with Medic I
    no force obsolete at Flintlock

=Slovak=

Leaders:
    Stefanik (Philosophical/Aggressive)
    Stur (Philosophical/Creative)

Starting techs:
    Agriculture, Storytelling

UB: Krcma (Tavern)
    cost 33 (instead of 50)
    +1 :) from Wine (not just Alcohol)
    +1 commerce per 2 connected cities, max: 2 (instead of per 3 connected cities)

UU: Zbojnik (Adventurer)
    can attack and pilage
    no Horse requirement
    starts with Looter (and Sentry I, of course )
    available at Usury (earlier than Adventurer, that is at Compass)

=Vandal=

Leaders:
    Genseric (Aggressive/Charismatic)
    Thrasamund (Philosophical/Organized)

Starting techs:
    Hunting, Fishing

UB: Vandal Shipyard (Shipyard)
    +2Xp for Wodden ships

UU: Vandal Raider (Swordsman)
    requires Iron or Copper
    can withdraw from combat (25% chance)
    starts with Looter

Norway:
    add Harald Hardrada (shared with the Vikings if Custom Leaderheads module also active)
    Hersir(UU) removed
    Drekar added as new UU. Replaces Cog. CAN enter Ocean before Astronomy.

Hitler: Swastika replaced with the German cross from Civ5

New Alternavie Leaderheads for
    Isabella
    Catherine
    Charles V
    Masinissa

New Custom Leaderhead
    Pine Leaf (Nomad/Charismatic) for Sioux (favourite civic: Folklore; no favourite religion)
    Brunhild (Charismatic/Protective) for Viking (favourites: Vassalage and Asatru)
    Kim Jong-Il (Scientific/Deceiver) for Korea (favourite civic: Personality Cult; no favourite religion)

8. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

Ohh, boy! Working with flags is a major pain...
    but finally the new icons and flags:
    Civ4ScreenShot0861.JPG
    All flags are de-call flags, except for Italy.
    I decided not to touch Cuba at all, leave the non de-call flag for Italy and change only the icon. For New Zealand I chose the cute kivi from its de-call flag instead of the earlier shown leaf. I also changed some civ colors.
    Let me know if you think something is wrong or other changes are also needed.

9. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Which faction is the lion without a country or logo?

10. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

Uygur. I didn't do anything with it. It was there only to compare it wit Uzbekistan and I forgot to delete it :crazyeye:

11. PPQ_Purple

I've obviously not been able to go testing this out so I have to ask how much of all these civs is covered by VD? Like, I imagine there have to be massive gaps when it comes to modern units or something similar.

12. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

VD? What's that?

13. PPQ_Purple

The unique unit styles for each civilization.

14. rtt4a

rtt4a Chieftain

Is it possible to add/make 100 civ dll for this updated mega back:)? 50 is just not enough..

15. Cor'e =)

Cor'e =) Chieftain

Awesome. =)

(Please fix the 1st post, so we can download & install with correct instructions when new versions of MCP are ready.)

16. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

I still don't fully understand your question.
    All these civs have custom artstyle, if that's what you mean.

I will.
    ...just too busy IRL.

17. PPQ_Purple

I'll back up to the begining than. Basically back in the day there was this modcomp that first introduced truly unique art styles for each civ as opposed to culture group specific ones. It was called Varietas Delectat. And basically every pack of unique units since in every mod since is essentially based off it in some way.

However VD had a serious flaw in that, whilst the early and mid game units were well diversified and represented, modern units and in particular things such as tanks and aircraft really weren't. So you'd get to about WW2 and suddenly everyone is using the same 2-3 types of tanks and aircraft without so much as a custom skin. And it only got worse once you hit the modern era. My question is how this compares to your work on this module.

How diverse are your modern units?

18. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

The answer is: No idea :)
    MCP had always been using the same unit artstyle as the main mod as far as I know.

My work is only to update it, add a few things and so but I don't work with the artstyles at all. There are 100+ civs in MCP and I would never accept such a challenge as creating unique artstyle for each civ :lol:
    For more information you should ask Vokarya. Iirc he worked with the artstyles a lot.

19. PPQ_Purple

Well I posted on this thread so I figure he'll show up eventually. Until than I guess I could do some experiments and just load up a bunch of test maps to see. Worst case scenario I might have to donate some of my own custom skins I have lying around.

EDIT: It's worse than I thought. The base game has some minimal attempts at diversity but like far less than even what VD did. And aside from a few flavor units most of the units from here are just generics with teamcolor applied. Too much work even for me.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  20. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

Apparently, I've been summoned. (Not that this forum isn't so busy that I don't see everything.) Let me tell you what I've been trying to do.

There is a limit to the number of unit definitions any mod can have before memory issues start to crop up. Exactly where this limit is I don't know. But I know there is one, and I want to have as much room below it in the base AND mod as I can get, in order to make room for side projects like the MCP. Otherwise we have to do things like exchange the animated leaderheads for static ones, and that's a line that I personally will not cross.

So I think going by the culture group level is the best compromise; it allows individual units to serve for 2-3 civilizations, which is fair enough for situations that might not see every single civ in one game. I think it's good enough to be able to tell an English Axeman from a Chinese or Zulu Axeman, but I'm not going to demand enough detail to tell an English Axeman from a Viking. I have unified several of the art styles (English-Celt, Germany-HRE, Africa-Ethiopia) but I haven't gone as far as I could go. I think a palette of 12 styles is really enough.

Now if you want to provide a replacement model for a unit that already has an art definition, I can certainly add that. And I have considered going back to add some missing models so that we are consistent. For example: the African art style has appropriate models for the executives of the original 7 corporations but not for the additional corporations like Fashion House. I have done the work to reskin the models, but I haven't added them to the mod yet.

But given the limits of Civ4's graphic engine as I understand them, with the number of units we have, unique unit artwork for every civilization is simply not going to work. Our unit roster is over 3 times the size of BTS's.