Using Nukes Without Destroying the Environment

ColonelPanic

Chieftain
When I was playing Civilization II in the late 1990s I figured out how to more effectively utilize nuclear weaponry without increasing world pollution. Granted, this solution mainly deals with naval-centric games but it works nonetheless.

Use your nuclear weapons to destroy incoming naval fleets/invasion armadas. Such an action will not only destroy whatever occupied the main tile, but also results in damage from the tile radius. For some reason, this will not affect oceans, possibly because the game engine cannot improve ocean tiles.

I hope this helps fellow atomic warmongers! :)

I've done that. It worked like a charm on the enemy.

But I forgot to get my own ship out of the way. :(

For some reason, this will not affect oceans, possibly because the game engine cannot improve ocean tiles.
The real reason is that any time a Skull is to be created, the game tests the tile. If its ocean, the skull is not created.

If your village has say 60% water tiles, and you are creating massive pollution, then 60% of the resulting skulls will never appear. In effect, water is a pollution control.

The ultimate case is a one tile island, surrounded by 20 water tiles in the Fat X radius. Pollution can never appear in a city itself, so therefore, no matter what the pollution chances, you will never get a pollution skull, and that means you need no Mass Transit, Recycling Plant, or Solar Plant for it. If there is one land tile among the 20, there is a 5% chance each time that a skull is produced that the skull will be on that given tile.

Top Bottom